Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

oh dang i missed this one, lol yours was much better than mine too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
*building up the nerve to ask my tree what gender it identifies as*

xcheopis

Abugadu posted:

*building up the nerve to ask my tree what gender it identifies as*

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/seasonal-allergies-blame-male-trees

Driving down the continent with a pistol in her lap
Followed by a handsome man who says his name is Jack

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I think it misheard me, it replied “pine”, and I’m too embarrassed to repeat the question.

Abugadu

welp gonna avoid planting any gingko trees any time soon.

Beef Of Ages

Your dumb is leaking.

Abugadu posted:

I think it misheard me, it replied “pine”, and I’m too embarrassed to repeat the question.

This is why the Lorax has a job, yo.

Abugadu

huh it appears you can spell it ginkgo or gingko.

but you can’t spell the last part balboa, it’s biloba i guess. No Rocky, only woody.

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

good mornink

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Manifisto

quote:

Ogren sees gingko gametes as the far greater threat. Unlike almost every other plant, gingko trees produce motile sperm, capable of swimming in pursuit of germination. Where human sperm each have a single tail, or flagellum, gingko sperm have around a thousand. “Once the pollen gets in your nose, it will germinate and start swimming up there to get to where it’s going,” Ogren says. “It’s pretty invasive.”

aaaaaaaaaaah

less gigeresque body horror pls

ty nesamdoom!

Abugadu

If you made that into an SCP story, it would get panned for being too out there and too horny.

Abugadu

Was this the sperm that launch’d a thousand tails,
And navigated the noses in sweet San Luis Obispo
Sweet ginkgo, make me allergic with your cummies

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

aaaaaaaaaaah

Not a good time to talk about parasitic worms, then?

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

xcheopis posted:

I suppose parasitic fungi are out as well?

xcheopis

Barking Gecko posted:

I suppose parasitic fungi are out as well?

I think we have an ant thread for those.

alnilam

"Ogren sees gingko gametes as the far greater threat." is a heck of a sentence. A lot of Gs

alnilam

Gingko Gametes Growing Great Goncern, says oGren

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Manifisto posted:

aaaaaaaaaaah

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Grey forums are especially aggy today, I love you BYOB folks <3

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

biosterous

Stoner Sloth posted:

what were they looking for food there for? like jesus christ scientists, just order a pizza or something!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

xcheopis

Rarity posted:

Grey forums are especially aggy today, I love you BYOB folks <3

It is super tiresome.

Finger Prince

xcheopis posted:

There are two good times to talk about parasitic worms.
1) there is a risk of parasitic worms. Take the following precautions.
2) what are my treatment options, doctor? And by options I mean which involves the most amount of general anesthesia?

Manifisto

Finger Prince posted:

There are two good times to talk about parasitic worms.
1) there is a risk of parasitic worms. Take the following precautions.
2) what are my treatment options, doctor? And by options I mean which involves the most amount of general anesthesia?

3) I will have access to elon musk's food, what should I put in it?

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

What about when discussing the futurama episode where Fry gets worms and they make him so cool that Leela starts to love him but then he realizes it's not really him so he asks them to leave

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

alnilam posted:

What about when discussing the futurama episode where Fry gets worms and they make him so cool that Leela starts to love him but then he realizes it's not really him so he asks them to leave

I've always wondered the percentage of people who would have kept the worms?

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

Hmmm. I would classify that as mutualism.

Manifisto

if he truly loved her he'd give her worms as well

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Zil posted:

I've always wondered the percentage of people who would have kept the worms?

It's an interesting question. There is growing evidence (a lot of it after that episode came out) that the biome of micro-friends who live in our body make a significant contribution to our function, most famously the gutty works but that has spillover effects on other systems including, probably, cognitive. Philosophically weird to think about but are they part of what makes us who we are? And always have been?

If so then would you be being false to yourself to keep the worms?
One could argue yes because they are a new presence and have changed you on a relatively short timescale, whereas the gut biome is a constant ever-shifting presence. Additionally they appear to be sentient.
But one could also argue no, I think, that you are still true to yourself with them, as you are and always have been a being of more than one species. And their sentience perhaps has no bearing, since it is their help to your body that improves you, not their sentient thoughts, which they keep to themselves.

I would keep them, i think

ty manifisto

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

It's an interesting question. There is growing evidence (a lot of it after that episode came out) that the biome of micro-friends who live in our body make a significant contribution to our function, most famously the gutty works but that has spillover effects on other systems including, probably, cognitive. Philosophically weird to think about but are they part of what makes us who we are? And always have been?

If so then would you be being false to yourself to keep the worms?
One could argue yes because they are a new presence and have changed you on a relatively short timescale, whereas the gut biome is a constant ever-shifting presence. Additionally they appear to be sentient.
But one could also argue no, I think, that you are still true to yourself with them, as you are and always have been a being of more than one species. And their sentience perhaps has no bearing, since it is their help to your body that improves you, not their sentient thoughts, which they keep to themselves.

I would keep them, i think

giving up my mitochondria to impress my crush

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

giving up my mitochondria to impress my crush

>you died

xcheopis

Mitochondria are the coolest and best of organelle orbs
Just super chill and always looking out for you

Finger Prince

You could look at it through the lens of modern medication.
It would be like not taking antidepressants and going to therapy because then you wouldn't be depressed, and depressed is who you are. It's your core identity.

xcheopis

"You seem tired, let me just whip up a bit of nice ATP soup and you'll be feeling better in no time!"
"Thanks, Auntie Mitochon!"

take the moon

by sebmojo

xcheopis posted:

its never a good time to doxx me

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

But what if I take the meds and go to therapy and my worms are actually the depressed ones?????

Manifisto

xcheopis posted:

>you died

[loading savepoint] "I'm keeping the mitochondria, deal with it!"

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Mormon Nailer posted:

But what if I take the meds and go to therapy and my worms are actually the depressed ones?????

Kierkegaard said that life is a constant quest to leave behind your inferior selves and become the best you that you can be. So expelling depressed worms would be quite a literal version of that that would probably make him lol.

ty manifisto

alnilam

at least, the critic who wrote that as a footnote in the edition of Henrik Ibsen's Peer Gynt that i have paraphrased Kierkegaard's philosophy of the journey of the self that way in a footnote to the part where the troll king is trying to educate Peer on the trolls' way of life, and who am i to argue with such an authority

ty manifisto

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

I admit I didn't put a lot of thought into that post.

alnilam

Peer Gynt owns btw although it's often said that it's more a piece of literature than a play. Also the incredibly famous suite that Edvard Grieg wrote as a soundtrack to the play, includes such hits as

Morgenstemning (cartoon waking up music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMXK4LAZnDs

In the Hall of the Mountain King (cartoon sneaking around or plotting music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI

Åses død
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKxf1h5r4g

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
A dissociated cell steps out from the shadows.

"Hey adenosine, you ever try phosphate?"