Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get it. This game is pretty loving hard to talk about by its very nature as a tangled weave of nested spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Yeah, there's not a whole lot I can say. I'm pretty sure I'd accidentally spoil something if I posted much here.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I am very interested in where this is going but I have too little grasp of what's going on to even speculate!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe the aliens have their very own Shikishima

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

JeffRaze posted:

Yeah, there's not a whole lot I can say. I'm pretty sure I'd accidentally spoil something if I posted much here.

And conversely for those of us who haven't played the game, it's difficult to speculate because the story presentation is so fragmented. I can think of plenty of unaswered questions, but I couldn't even begin to guess what the answers are. Take Tetsuya Ida, for instance. We've seen enough to put together a reasonably coherent timeline for him: as a young man in 2025, he survives an attack on the city he lives in. He is picked up by Morimura and travels to the far future along with her. Later Morimura sends him 16 years back to meet her younger self on Sumire Bridge. Ida and Morimura, now about the same age, spend years working together. This eventually leads to the rooftop conversation with Ei where Ida talks about his disagreement with Morimura, and that somehow leads to the "present day" in 1985 where Ida and Morimura seem to be on opposite sides of some conflict. That's all fine, so far. But there's no room in this timeline for Ida to become 1985 high school student Shu Amiguchi. There's obviously some major aspect of his story still missing, and I have absolutely no idea what that could be.

Anyway, the latest update: of all the directions Nenji's story could've gone, I would not have guessed "Shikishima board member". Presumably there's a timeline where he becomes employed at Shikishima because his father works there, and eventually rises all the way to the top. Alternatively, Nenji and his father are literally the same person because time travel. I wouldn't put it past this game.

Also, thanks for the storyline summaries for each character, they're very helpful. I still have no idea what's going on, but I'm now confused at a higher level.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I'm so glad we finally unlocked Nenji. Now to vote for just him until the end of time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

While I can't comment on the plot because I have a mental ball of yarn instead of an understanding of it, I must say that I appreciate the actual physical yarn board, I will probably build one and document its birth control performance.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The kaiju being rogue construction equipment is a hell of a development and I love it. I really like narratives of "Future AI ran out of stuff to do in the future and is now going backwards because it's stupid AI". Although I have no idea where I've seen that particular kind of plot before, it just feels familiar.

HGH fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 11, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That might be the case but I don't know what to make of the terminators, I don't think those are standard components of a planetary colonization effort. They might be the pilots of the Kaijus of course, but for now I prefer to think the seats and controls are purely vestigial.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
I've been relentlessly voting for Tomi since the scene in the bathroom because I've been assuming that the real Tomi Kisaragi is the slew of number android person who was there, and was hoping that there'd be something to confirm this theory. So far, no luck, though getting this hot Nenji lore and his stuff unlocked is worth it.

Arist, just want you to know that I really appreciate you playing this for us and even if we're silent, we're definitely enjoying the thread. So really, thank you.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Junpei posted:

Man, aside from Arist, people are pretty quiet.

The game speaks for itself!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I desperately want to post but there's... just... no way I could say anything in good conscious.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I haven't gotten a loving clue what to say about this so I'm just enjoying the weird ride really.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Same personally. There's nothing I can really add to what's going on, really.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I can't wait to see what the hell is happening next.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Folks, I’m pretty excited about today’s update. I’ve been waiting for this one for a long time. That’s right, it can only be…

Chapter 29: Nenji Ogata 1

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

I should slow down and think a little…

…… Hey, are you even listening?

A train arrives in the background. This will happen a couple times throughout this scene, so pay attention.

*sardonically* …I didn’t know you could sleep standing up.
No, this is… the same platform as before. The hell is this?

What are you saying, Nenji?

Nenji’s thinky-man pose makes him look like a total badass and I respect the hell out of it.

Consider Train Derailed

(We were in that train car, and… Then the whole thing got knocked off the line. …So how are we here? No way we would’ve walked away from an accident like that…)

Huh????

How’d we get back here?
You mean the train I’m about to get on?
You’re… about to?

Okay, so clearly Nenji has been thrown back in time somehow, as evidenced by the “Back in Time” thought we just obtained. Everyone’s caught up? Good.

…Are you okay, man?

Use Back in Time on Tomi Kisaragi

I’m saying I’ve been on this platform before.
Well, duh. This is how you get to school every day.
No, I mean just now. I was here.
*shocked silence* *sigh* Is this, like, a setup for a joke?
No, wait… I remember. It wasn’t even my train. I got on the semi-express to go after you, Kisaragi… You and I were together the whole time, right?

Let’s look around the platform a bit.

……

Unfortunately, we can only move about four feet to the right here before Nenji cuts us off.

So, let’s try the other way.

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Ah, poo poo.

Ogata. Most punchable face in the city.

The hell are you tryin’ to say to me?

*sigh* We already did. I beat your rear end into the ground. I guess that didn’t count either…? What crawled up your rear end, anyway?
Heard you were talkin’ poo poo on the Kuri High gang. Sayin’ all we got is strength in numbers.
News to me.
No more runnin’. We settle this right here, right now.

Nenji, to his credit, wants none of this nonsense, and simply walks away.

Don’t have time for that poo poo anyway.

Don’t tell me this little bitch is your girl? Heh heh… Didn’t know you were into elementary schoolers. That’s messed up, man.

You wanna say that again? Say it to my face.

Oh hey, another train is her—oh. Oh no.

Urgh…

Hey, wait up!

You’re gonna regret it!
You’re being super weird right now.
Look, shut up and listen. You CAN’T get on that.

So you can just decide that for me? It’s not like… Like you can just tell me what to do. I’m so done with you.

And so Tomi gets on the train.

Nenji, for his part, will automatically follow.

Consider Train Derailed

(So Kisaragi always gets on that train… and the train always crashes. Once she gets on, she’s basically dead. How the hell can I make her understand…?)

Why are you here? This isn’t even your train, right?

Cause you’re not making any sense. What, you just wanted to have the last word?
Wait, that’s it…

…So when was this?

You’re such a psycho. I don’t know if you’re just a delinquent or whatever…

Aww, Tomi, you hurt Nenji’s feelings! :(

Music: KAIJU (Kazuki Higashihara)

Morimura didn’t say anything about this…

Music: Time Drain (Rikako Watanabe)

What the— Where…? What the hell happened? What are all these lights? How do I get out of this thing? …… I remember… The train got derailed, and—

Who’s there!? The hell’s going on!?
Where is the key?
What key?

Look, where’s Kisaragi!? There was a girl with me, right? Is she okay!?
I need the D-Code key. Where is it?
I don’t know, man! Do you have Kisaragi or not!?
I’m sending you back. Listen. You have to find the key.

I should slow down and think a little…

……

So… yes. Nenji Ogata is caught in a motherfucking time loop.

I love this game.

Now, let’s add the new mysteries “Key?” “Nenji’s Time Loop?” and “D-Code?” to the corkboard. We’ve definitely heard about that D-Code before, haven’t we?

And here’s all the mysteries we currently have.

Nenji Ogata is voiced by Billy Kametz, who, yes, voiced the largely-identical character Josuke Higashikata in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable. He’s also known for roles like Maruki in Persona 5 Royal, Galo Thymos in Promare, and Ferdinand in Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Juro Kurabe
Iori Fuyusaka
Megumi Yakushiji
Natsuno Minami
Yuki Takamiya
Shu Amiguchi
Keitaro Miura
Tomi Kisaragi
Ei Sekigahara
Nenji Ogata
Destruction

There's also:

Takatoshi Hijiyama (Locked behind Ogata)

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 23, 2022

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Nenji's story is a lot of fun and I'm also really happy to get to this point.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Like, every time I try to reply to an update I just stare at my keyboard like, I don't even know what I can say that would make me feel like I was contributing in some way. I'm just really anxious to see how all these threads come together and since I just started classes again I don't really have much free time to play this myself.

I am definitely enjoying the ride, though :cheerdoge:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
GROUNDHOG DAY GROUNDHOG DAY

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I continue to be a fan of the pin board as it is a nice way to visualize just all the various facts and ideas that you as a player are slowly accumulating until things finally start making sense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 30: Nenji Ogata 2

Almost half of you voted to jump right back into Nenji’s story. I’m glad my boy is getting some love.

Maybe you’ve got a point. I should slow down and think a little…

*sigh* …I’m back. It’s happening all over again…

Consider Weird Voice

(Who even is that voice? How’d I end up in this mess…? And where the hell was I? It was like… I dunno… I feel like I saw it on some UFO show. Like an alien lab or somethin’. It looked just like that. I was… butt naked, too…)

Priorities, Nenji.

Use Train Derailed on Tomi Kisaragi

What!?

I mean, like… not yet. They get here after we get on this train…
How do you know that…?
‘Cause I saw it.
……

Yeah, it’s really gettin’ to me.

But… what can I do?

We could Consider and ask about the Key, but I’m pretty suspicious of this voice. Let’s just see if we can figure some way to get Tomi out of here.

Ah poo poo, forgot about these clowns.

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Great. This guy.
What, you think you’re better than me?

You gotta chill out, man.
Oh yeah? Do you think this is funny? Am I a joke to you?
No time for this crap… How about we talk this out?
How about screw you.

We settle this right here, right now.

Well, that didn’t work. Let’s try to ignore him, then.

Hey, stay outta this, idiot.

Rude.

Don’t tell me this little bitch is your girl? Heh heh… Didn’t know you were into elementary schoolers. That’s messed up, man.

But hey, I’m still mad.

Heh. Nenji, you dumbass.

Dammit… Urgh…

Welp, just gotta follow Tomi again before she gets herself killed.

…I’m gonna go.
Hey, hold it! I mean, just… hang on a sec. I really need you to stay off that train.
Okay, seriously, what’s going on?
I don’t even know how to describe it, just…
It’s… It’ll be really bad.

I’m bein’ serious here…

Use Train Derailed on Tomi Kisaragi

This train’s gonna get derailed—it’s gonna be a huge accident, okay?
……
I’m being serious here! You can talk poo poo on me if you want, but believe me just this once…

*sigh* So…? What do I do instead?
Let’s just get outta the station. We gotta get out of here while there’s still time. If we can just get outside this place, that’s gotta change something…

Sorry… my ankle hurts…

Probably a sprain…

…They destroyed my home. And they’ll destroy 1985, too.

Maybe there’s no way outta this, but… We’ll never know if we don’t run.

Dammit… I’m back here… They showed up in the middle of the city… We couldn’t make it out in time…

I don’t give a poo poo about your key!
……
Who the hell are you? If you can do all this crazy time crap, then… Then save Kisaragi!
Tomi Kisaragi… If you want to save her, you need to cooperate with me. I need you to find that key… If you give me its location, then I’ll help her.
…That the truth?
Yes. I promise. Still… Even if I was lying, you don’t have much choice.

Not sketchy at all, mysterious voice.

All you can do is trust me. So find that key, and I’ll see what I can do.

And that’s it for that chapter. I know it was short, but Nenji isn’t exactly in a situation that allows for his updates to be all that lengthy, heh. So, who next?

Juro Kurabe
Iori Fuyusaka
Megumi Yakushiji
Natsuno Minami
Yuki Takamiya
Shu Amiguchi
Keitaro Miura
Tomi Kisaragi
Ei Sekigahara
Nenji Ogata
Destruction

There's also:

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 23, 2022

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
I like this scene because it shows that even Workers, kaiju that usually just die incidentally when you're fighting them, are pretty terrifying on ground level.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 31: Nenji Ogata 3

You guys… really like Nenji, huh? Okay, whatever.

Maybe you’ve got a point. I should slow down and think a little… Still, though… …… Hey, are you even listening?

Consider The Attack

(It doesn’t matter if we run. We never make it out in time. We only got a couple minutes until they ruin this place. …Even if I told someone about this, nobody would believe me.)

Consider Key

(What’s this key thing they keep talkin’ about? How the hell do I even find it? What do I do, just go through everyone’s goddamn pockets? None of this poo poo makes sense…)

Use Key on Tomi Kisaragi

What does that even mean? I have the key to my house?

Nah, probably not… I mean, hell, even I’ve got some housekeys…

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Let’s question Wajima about the key.

Use Key on Takemi Wajima

What key? What the hell are you talkin’ about?
I dunno, man, just whatever keys you got.
I had my motorcycle key… But my teacher took it away…
Yeah, boo freakin’ hoo.

……
No more runnin’. We settle this right here, right now.

Hey, stay outta this, idiot.
What do we got here?

Dammit… Urgh…

…I’m gonna go.

And Nenji automatically follows once more. Kind of sweet, really.

Always turns out the same… The train gets derailed, and Kisaragi doesn’t make it.

……
Answer me, Nenji Ogata.
Man, I don’t goddamn know… Who the hell are you? What’s even going on here? You gonna explain any of this poo poo?
Find it and I’ll tell you. If you want to survive… You need to find the key. Time for a do-over. You’re going back.

Maybe you’ve got a point. I should slow down and think a little… Still, though… …… Hey, are you even listening?

This time, we’re going to take the radical new approach of walking to the right instead.

I feel like I know that guy she’s with… Who is he…?

I dunno, no reason.
Wait, that’s Iori over there.
……
What, are you hiding from Iori?

What…?

Hey, it’s not like that!

I’m still talking to you here!

*sigh*

Tomi has successfully distracted us from Juro. Any attempt to move left to talk to him will result in Tomi chewing us out instead, pulling us back into this conversation.

I want a real answer.
For real, it’s not like that.

What do you care? You’re not my girlfriend. Why’re you even gettin’ so worked up?

It’s not a big deal, I was just… curious. Sheesh…

These next few screenshots were captured over a couple different takes, in case you notice any inconsistencies. You can’t quite see everything in one run of this scene.

Iori, your place isn’t this way, right? Where are you going with Okino-kun?
I’ve just got a thing over in Tsutsuji… There’s the train… Let’s go, Okino-kun.

Kinda hard to talk to Fuyusaka like this…

You can’t talk to Iori while Tomi is chatting with her, and walking away results in Nenji saying this.

Must’ve gone somewhere.

Also, walking to where Juro was standing after getting out of the Tomi conversation results in this.

You’re being really weird.

Also, you can talk to Tomi after her chat with Iori ends to get this.

Now, let’s go back to Iori and Okino getting on the train.

What do I do? Go after them?

It seems that’s our best and only option short of going to fight Wajima again. Well, you can actually wait for Tomi’s train to arrive, at which point it leads to the same result, but neither of those lead to progress, so we’ll just follow Iori and Okino.

I know they got on…

Let’s look around for them, then.

Are you… looking for someone?

You see a couple schoolkids? About my age?

GAH gently caress

Wh-What the hell…? …… Was that, like… magic? Nah, the hell am I thinkin’…?

That’s right, Nenji. The only magic in this game is that gun.

Huh? Uh, yeah…

Use Key on Iori Fuyusaka

I mean, heck, I’m the guy who chased you onto a train here… But there’s somethin’ I gotta know. Do you have some kinda key on you…? I mean… not like a regular housekey… It’s supposed to be kinda special? Except I don’t really know how…? …… …Yeah, this still sounds pretty drat weird, huh…?

Why are you looking for something like that?
Good question… Man, I dunno how I’d even explain it…

Music: The Chills (Yoshimi Kudo)

I promise you that this appears no less abrupt in-game than it does in screenshot form.

Young man…
…The school nurse? Wait, I was just talkin’ to Fuyusaka… ……

What.

Oh god, this whole thing just got loving exploded in my brain, what is happening anymore?

I remember now. You’re one of the bad guys…

Should you be out here alone, young man?
I’m not playing, I’m training.

The best part of this scene is Billy Kametz’s hilarious “child” voice. I love it so much.

Say… You must be Nenji Ogata-kun, right? How about I walk you back to your house?

STRANGER DANGER

You’ve been taught well, my child.

You talk like the League of Darkness people. They say all that same stuff when they kidnap kids.
The League of Darkness?
The bad guys from Kamen Hero, duh.

Oh thank christ, it was just some chuuni bullshit.

But you know… I think you’re the real bad guy here. 8 years from now… You’re going to call a bunch of monsters and destroy the world.
Am not! I’d never turn to the side of evil!
You’re still going to do it whether you’re good or evil. Sometimes things just happen.

Morimura fires off two shots with the magical gun.

I guess I just did a big lap around the block…

Of course you did, it would be prohibitively expensive to draw another street for this scene! This is itself a semi-unique location, you have any idea how much this has cost already!?

What do I do?

She really is from the League of Darkness.

OH gently caress

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

You’re a bad boy.
Am I gonna die…?
It’ll only hurt for a moment.

Bad. Bad answer, Morimura. Not reassuring to the seven-year-old.

It’ll add onto the program inside you. It’s not a huge change… But it’s something we’ll need to fight back. And now… we can prepare our weapons.

…Huh? Didn’t I just get… shot…?

Okay, I still don’t know what’s goin’ on here… But gettin’ shot made me remember something. She shot me back when I was a kid, too…

I’m going to need you to explain the situation.
I was on the train, and the nurse from my school shot me. There were even other passengers around, too… …No, wait. That was definitely Fuyusaka. She was all grown up, but I know that was her.
Wait a moment.

It’s the place you keep sendin’ me back to. The train platform. And this happened when I chased Fuyusaka onto her train…
…… So you’re looking for the key on a train platform?
Well, yeah… Wait, you mean—You don’t even know where you keep sendin’ me back to?
…Okay. I see. That means the person with the key is somewhere around there. You just keep looking.

Ha.

Thanks to our progress in Destruction, it’s possible to do Nenji… again. Oh boy…

Also, it might not be necessary for some of you, but the last paragraph here of Nenji’s Mystery File just explicitly spells out what that flashback scene was about, which personally helped me a bit. I know it’s kind of clear already, but I’m very dumb.

Juro Kurabe
Iori Fuyusaka
Megumi Yakushiji
Natsuno Minami
Yuki Takamiya
Shu Amiguchi
Keitaro Miura
Tomi Kisaragi
Ei Sekigahara
Nenji Ogata
Destruction

There's also:

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 26, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eventually you sick motherfuckers are going to have to stop voting for Nenji

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Arist posted:

we'll stop when we unlock Takatoshi

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I'm really enjoying this, I love complicated stories like this.

As someone who hasn't played, a little ping went off in my head at Iori's statement-that happened in 1976, and now we're in 1985. Nine years have passed, so whatever happened isn't what's going on right now.

No clue what is.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Arist posted:

I realize this is more of a general you statement but as I posted over in Beach I’ve voted for Miura on almost all of these polls

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AweStriker posted:

I realize this is more of a general you statement but as I posted over in Beach I’ve voted for Miura on almost all of these polls

Thank you for your service

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

GROUNDHOG DAY GROUNDHOG DAY

no? it's Source Code. there's a train and everything.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Hahahaha, the mysterious otherworldly entity that keeps Nenji trapped in a time loop also has no idea what's going on. That's fantastic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wow! It’s finally Miura time! Everyone’s favorite dapper boy! Aren’t you all excited?

…No one’s buying that, huh? *sigh* Welp, let’s get to it then.

I truly cannot believe you assholes.

Chapter 32: Nenji Ogata 4

May God have mercy on your souls.

*sigh* I’m back… It’s happening all over again…

Consider League of Darkness

(That was weird… Why’d I think Fuyusaka looked like that League of Darkness lady? I’m not seein’ things, right?)

Consider Key

(That League of Darkness lady… She said somethin’ weird when she had me at gunpoint. She said I was the one who had this key in the first place. But none of this is ringin’ a bell… Can’t figure this out.)

Let’s head over and talk to Iori about what just happened.

This time, Nenji just bursts in, no hesitation.

Usami-chan!
You trying to pick on Iori now?
*shakes head* Please, Kisaragi. Just relax for a sec.
What!?
I’m beggin’ you here!
*sigh*

Well, let’s get to questioning.

Um… What do you mean?

It was some trick, yeah?
Uh…

A test…? What are you talking about?
*sigh* Maybe you should actually explain what you’re talking about, man.

Use League of Darkness on Iori Fuyusaka

Okay, what’s your connection to that black catsuit lady?
League of… Darkness…? What are you talking about?

Use Key on Iori Fuyusaka

You told me somethin’ like I used to carry this key, right?
Ogata-kun, I’m really not sure I follow…
Ah, dammit. I gotta figure out how to say this right… Okay, so you haven’t said it yet, but you’re going to tell me soon…

I just wanna know what it all means.
I really don’t know what you’re talking about…

And so Nenji humiliates himself yet again to no benefit!

If we wait for a short bit, Ryoko will show up on the train platform.

We, of course, need to talk to her.

You’re here too…?
Shinonome-senpai.
……

You okay?
I have to go…

Use Key on Ryoko Shinonome

Though I guess it’s not really a normal key? Probably…?
……
Man, how do I say this…

Yeah, a key.

Shouldn’t we call someone over?
Someone like who?
Like… a station worker?
Nah, waste of time.
Why’s that?
It’s just gonna throw us back to the beginning.
Hey… what’s going on with you?

Are you okay…?

Worth noting the three trains in this scene. The first is the one Iori and Okino get on. The second is the one Ryoko is about to get on. And if both of those leave, then there’s just the one Tomi gets on left.

Do I go after her?

We actually have to walk left this time. How novel.

Music: Deafening Silence (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Musta been her symptoms again. Looks like she passed out…

We don’t actually know about that yet, Nenji!

Why’s he with her? Why’re they both knocked out? …The hell happened here? Somethin’ in his hand…

Ah gently caress, it’s Ida!

Label’s not tellin’ me much…

Music: Something’s Fishy (Kikuchi Yukinori)

What’re you talkin’ about, old man…?
It sounds like you know about Shinonome-kun’s condition. So you should already understand. The symptoms she endures come from that poison.

But even with all their sacrifices… They cannot stop the D-forces’ attack.

That’s all the big mecha kaiju, right?

Born in our future. Crossing time to destroy us. It all comes down to fifteen teenagers.

That is not the amount of teenagers that was advertised to me!

The “commanders” of the D-forces.

It is a curse. One we cannot escape.

Who even are you?
It doesn’t matter anymore. I’m just a man in the past now. But it was never the kaiju. The problem, the true blot on this world, was always the D-forces’ creator.

DUN DUNNNNNNN

WE WERE THE WALKING DEAD ALL ALONG OH NOOOOOOO

…… Can you hear me? If you can hear my voice, then report.
…… I found Ryoko Shinonome. When I got on the train, I found her out cold… Sounded like the poison got to her.
Poison…?
Guy named Sekigahara was knocked out, too. That got anything to do with your key?
…I think I get what’s going on here. But those two don’t match up with my information. It’s definitely someone else. When you see this key… Well, no matter what it looks like, you should know it’s THE key.
What’s going on in that train…? Something’s not right there… When I’m inside the train, things always seem messed up.
You need to take a closer look.

Wait… Okino!?

Wait!

He was with Fuyusaka…

Well, we’ve finally re-unlocked Hijiyama’s story progression. However…

…We’ve also unlocked Ryoko. I’ll leave it to you all to decide which is more pressing.

Juro Kurabe
Iori Fuyusaka
Megumi Yakushiji
Natsuno Minami
Yuki Takamiya
Shu Amiguchi
Keitaro Miura
Tomi Kisaragi
Ei Sekigahara
Nenji Ogata
Takatoshi Hijiyama
Ryoko Shinonome
Destruction

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 26, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh, you motherfucker

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a new character will get people to vote for someone else.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nenji is stuck in a time loop and so are you.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

So this is all a big allegory for some kind of immune disorder, right? Time travel aside, that's where my mind keeps circling back to. The track names for the combat sections indicate something microbiology related, and the plot constantly gesturing at the idea that the sentinels are at the heart of the problem suggests that something has been corrupted (with nanomachines) in the immune response.

The time travel...is just time travel and movie references.

Anyhow, I read through the LP so far when you put a link in your other LP. I've never had the right console to play a Vanillaware game, but they're fascinating. Quite enjoying this one.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arist posted:

oh, you motherfucker

Sorry, but at this point making you live Groundhog Day with Nenji until we get to a lock is way too funny not to.

(That wasn't me but I sure contributed)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hey, I like Miura, for whatever it's worth.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Nenji train doesn't stop! (because it just loops back to the beginning)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I haven't been voting, but to be honest I do think it's better for the LP format to keep pushing on a single story for as long as we can, to minimize the problem of forgetting what the hell is going on in each story. Which would be made much worse compared to playing through it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I voted for Iori when we saw her turn into Morimura! I'm not responsible for this!