Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Plek posted:

The old Seamoth was a bit quicker, a bit more agile, and not quite so fragile.

It also had the ability to zap reapers to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seamoth was super convenient given it's basically Swimming++ and a mobile oxygen refill, I think its fragility was a tradeoff for convenience. It's not difficult to replace.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Serephina posted:

I'm all for the Seamoth love, but let's be honest it was made from tinfoil and balsawood. The truck gets dinged more since it's bigger and hits a lot of things, but I'm pretty sure it has higher hp.

Seamoth had the armor module which made it completely immune to basic fish damage.
Seatruck doesn't get this module because it didn't fit with their design aesthetic of every compartment and module being completely useless

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

While the devs have made their opinions on modding Below Zero stuff into Subnautica like the topside windows clear, have they said anything about bringing the Sea Moth and Cyclops into BZ?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The cyclops wouldn't fit.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah Im having trouble picturing where that beast would even fit.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Going from the Seamoth to the Cyclops was such a big shift in the original game. You went from zooming around with super agility to driving a building. Going into the lost river with the sea moth was no biggie but getting the Cyclops through without a Leviathon seeing you was some awesome Hunt for Red October poo poo. Then inevitably you’d get whacked and try to book it out and get away and have to run around putting out fires and repairing cracks only to get to the lava zone and realize you don’t have something you need and have to go all the way back up

It was such a great design decision and made these sprawling areas you may first explore in the Seamoth feel downright cramped and inescapable.

Plus it was super fun to stock the Cyclops up with everything you figure you’d need then drop out in the Prawn Suit to drill some ore while warily watching where the Sea Dragon was.

Man Subnautica really nailed it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I miss when you could repair the Seatruck from inside the cockpit. I don't know why they removed that, it was a nice compromise to how awkward it is to use.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Seamoth had the armor module which made it completely immune to basic fish damage.
Seatruck doesn't get this module because it didn't fit with their design aesthetic of every compartment and module being completely useless

I'm pretty sure that armor boost only helps with terrain collision because the loving spadefish never stopped trashing my seamoth.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Plek posted:

I'm pretty sure that armor boost only helps with terrain collision because the loving spadefish never stopped trashing my seamoth.

Yeah, I stopped using once I realized that my sub was still getting trashed from fish.
And I never hit any terrain.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OgNar posted:

Yeah, I stopped using once I realized that my sub was still getting trashed from fish.
And I never hit any terrain.
That is quite fortunate, many other seamoth pilots have run across the dreaded cloaking device terrain.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Replaying the endgame, I'm not sure how they expect people to find the thermal plant, or the final base without having found the thermal plant first to give you a vague direction to head off in, unless they'd played earlier iterations where you get express waypoints and more-or-less remember where to go.

The lava castle used to have a signal location pop up in it when you got close to it, something to the effect of 'unusual energy signature detected' or something. It got removed because people who'd already played the beta excessively complained that it was too handholdy.

The entries into the lava castle do have those glowing green alien pylons around them, but it doesn't help that they suffer from pop-in and there's two very big predators patrolling the area you generally want to keep an eye on.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have no idea what people are complaining about, I went straight to the cool looking mountain (after mining random kyanite) once I saw it. Maybe I came in from the 'other' direction?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I already knew about the lava castle from early access information when I played after release, even if I didn't play the EA late enough during it that the lava zone was implemented (I stopped just before the lost river got implemented) but if you enter the cavern through either entrance to the surface it sticks out a lot. People will probably look into it sooner rather than later at a guess at least.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I’m just about finished with the 1st game (and cautiously optimistic about BZ - gonna pick up the PS4/5 version when it drops) - can anyone tell me if No Man’s Sky scratches a similar itch? My son absolutely loved Subnautica and is really into space stuff too...

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

JohnnySmitch posted:

I’m just about finished with the 1st game (and cautiously optimistic about BZ - gonna pick up the PS4/5 version when it drops) - can anyone tell me if No Man’s Sky scratches a similar itch? My son absolutely loved Subnautica and is really into space stuff too...

BZ drops this Friday, so not long to wait there if you just want more Subnautica.

I've never played No Man's Sky, but if your son liked Subnautica and is into space stuff maybe give Astroneer a try. The theme is very similar - you crash on an alien planet with nothing but your drop pod and a few replicator plans then have to explore the world, collect new technology, and build out your base to get back home.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Disclaimer: I am not a parent

Depends on the age of your kid and how much structure they need. No Man's Sky touches a lot of the base cornerstones as Subnautica, but it is very different in feel and execution. The proc gen leads to a very samey experience at times and it has far less bread crumbs and narrative than Subnautica does.

That said there are some quest chains in NMS now, and if you're experiencing it for the first time the proc gen won't be immediately impacting your experience.

If your kid is gonna enjoy flying around and exploring as an experience and doesn't need as much structure as Subnautica then NMS might hit the mark. If they like Minecraft and enjoy the flight and running around NMS might click as well. Otherwise they might get frustrated and bored.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

If you like building stuff with less emphasis on exploration (and also kinda maybe really like math) Satisfactory scratched that itch for me for several hundred hours.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Plek posted:

Oh drat you're right. I guess my actual problem was my lovely piloting.

JohnnySmitch posted:

NMS has some of the elements but it's also a lot more complex, way more resources to work out and felt like a ton of grinding. It's fun in it's own right, but I never got the Subnautica vibe from it. Two games my kids liked that gave me a similar feeling was Stranded Deep and The Forest (not young kid friendly). They both lean into the survival genre a lot more than Subnautica but I think the key was that they both have a strong emphasis on base building. The Raft is another one that feels like it would be the same, but we haven't tried it yet.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Drake_263 posted:

The lava castle used to have a signal location pop up in it when you got close to it, something to the effect of 'unusual energy signature detected' or something. It got removed because people who'd already played the beta excessively complained that it was too handholdy.

The entries into the lava castle do have those glowing green alien pylons around them, but it doesn't help that they suffer from pop-in and there's two very big predators patrolling the area you generally want to keep an eye on.

Yeah, I knew that the entrance existed, that there were lights there, and what to expect once I entered, but it took quite a while to actually find the drat thing. I could easily see someone looking around the castle for a while, not finding anything, and concluding that it's just a geographical feature.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can see why you'd want to prolong the exploration experience, since that's the main thing to do in the game, and if you just get the coordinates popping in automatically, it's much easier to just beeline it instead of dwelling in a hazardous area.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

JohnnySmitch posted:

It's tough to say, they have some superficial similarities but they really approach the "exploration/survival" genre from different directions. Being procedurally generated, NMS is a mile wide and an inch deep, whereas (walking face-first into the blatant pun) Subnautica is much deeper but more focused. If you like collecting resources, scanning stuff, and building bases, then NMS has that aplenty. If you like exploring interesting environments and following a story line, NMS wears thin pretty quickly. At the end of the day I got a lot more enjoyment out of Subnautica, but I had some good fun with NMS, and if you like Subnautica and space stuff you'll probably enjoy NMS at least somewhat.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also, keep in mind, if it has been more than a year since you last played NMS, it is basically a completely different game they have added so much (nevermind if you haven't played since the first year or two after release)!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The one thing that seems to stay constant with NMS through the updates, and the main thing that keeps turning me off, is the UI is a godawful mess. Every gameplay feature seems to have a different UI concept, so sometimes you just press a button, sometimes you have to hold it; sometimes you cycle through subsections with shoulder buttons, sometimes you have to select them through a different menu. Some things are accessed through a D-pad menu, other things are accessed through some other menu... it's probably not bad if you commit the time to building up the muscle memory, but for some reason the sheer inanity of it drives me up a wall. If one of the central concepts of your game is "stuff management" you had better work to ensure that managing stuff is as streamlined and painless as possible, which NMS definitely doesn't do. Or at least, as of the last time I tried it; if they've drastically revamped the UI in the last year please let me know.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The one thing that seems to stay constant with NMS through the updates, and the main thing that keeps turning me off, is the UI is a godawful mess. Every gameplay feature seems to have a different UI concept, so sometimes you just press a button, sometimes you have to hold it; sometimes you cycle through subsections with shoulder buttons, sometimes you have to select them through a different menu. Some things are accessed through a D-pad menu, other things are accessed through some other menu... it's probably not bad if you commit the time to building up the muscle memory, but for some reason the sheer inanity of it drives me up a wall. If one of the central concepts of your game is "stuff management" you had better work to ensure that managing stuff is as streamlined and painless as possible, which NMS definitely doesn't do. Or at least, as of the last time I tried it; if they've drastically revamped the UI in the last year please let me know.

This is where my age gives me something of an advantage: having grown up on terrible 90's UIs, anything today, at the worst, seems quaint. :laugh:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is where my age gives me something of an advantage: having grown up on terrible 90's UIs, anything today, at the worst, seems quaint. :laugh:

Same, but as someone who gave himself carpal tunnel syndrome playing the Final Fantasy VII PC port using the entirely numpad key bindings, I just don't have a 14 year old's dedication to dealing with that nonsense any more. Nowadays I get irritated when a game can't seamlessly transition between a game pad and M+KB inputs. :corsair:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What's the consensus on Below Zero? I'm just about finished with the first game, and I like it a lot, but some elements could definitely be streamlined and improved. I was under the impression that Below Zero was still missing a lot of content, but it sounds like the ending is the only thing that's not in at the moment?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Its being released in full tomorrow, so I would wait until then for any rulings.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

Going from the Seamoth to the Cyclops was such a big shift in the original game. You went from zooming around with super agility to driving a building. Going into the lost river with the sea moth was no biggie but getting the Cyclops through without a Leviathon seeing you was some awesome Hunt for Red October poo poo. Then inevitably you’d get whacked and try to book it out and get away and have to run around putting out fires and repairing cracks only to get to the lava zone and realize you don’t have something you need and have to go all the way back up

It was such a great design decision and made these sprawling areas you may first explore in the Seamoth feel downright cramped and inescapable.

Plus it was super fun to stock the Cyclops up with everything you figure you’d need then drop out in the Prawn Suit to drill some ore while warily watching where the Sea Dragon was.

Man Subnautica really nailed it.

I can think of a lot of ways to describe getting the Seamoth to survive going anywhere more than a centimeter below surface level but "no biggie" appears nowhere on that list.

the Seatruck looks a lot dopier but other than that it's a straight upgrade from everything in Subnautica, yall are ridiculous. They replaced multiple redundant submarines that were each terribly crippled in some way with one that does everything without the hassle or need to exploit bugs to get it to run for ten minutes so you can get back to the actually interesting parts of the gameplay. the Cyclops has been more of a burden slowing the player down than a useful tool since the "every fish for miles around can see you and has an insatiable hunger for titanium" phase of early access

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 13, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lots of people justifying their abusive relationship with the Cyclops when they should have been Spider-PRAWNing around the map like a pro.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I continue to not understand how people are having such a hard time with the Cyclops. It's great, barely an issue to control and never had much trouble with Leviathans either. I thought it was cool and tense to have to go to low power for a bit with lights off to evade them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the leviathans aren't too bad now, but to keep the loving thing charged you've got to string seabases all through the tunnels and at that point why not just... leave the truck-sized submarine behind and use those?

in BZ I drive the Seatruck every time I need to cover any significant difference, there's no battery leeches or other mechanics to punish you for using it and by the endgame I think I've had to swap power cells once. Maybe twice?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 13, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've played Subnautica three times now and I always lose interest when I get the Cyclops. For me it's a really immersive survival semi-horror but the more layers you have between yourself, the world and a big bitey thing's mouth the less fun it is, by the time you have the all of the powerful technological options and the only real threat is a Ghost ramming your sub out of spite it's nearly a different genre entirely

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the leviathans aren't too bad now, but to keep the loving thing charged you've got to string seabases all through the tunnels and at that point why not just... leave the truck-sized submarine behind and use those?

in BZ I drive the Seatruck every time I need to cover any significant difference, there's no battery leeches or other mechanics to punish you for using it and by the endgame I think I've had to swap power cells once. Maybe twice?

Were you running the Cyclops with silent running or something on to get that kind of power drain? Cause you can probably circle the entire map a half dozen times with a full set of regular cells.
And really the lost river is especially not a problem if you have the thermal module.

The truck seems to eat cells at about the rate of the moth. However in BZ you unlock alien batteries really fast and that really helps with longevity so I do appreciate that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you can get the cyclops all the way down to the thermal plant and back without having to make pitstops or relying on some exploit like the old power cells charging more power cells trick, congrats I guess. Between travel time and all the depth modules and poo poo you have to fabricate using stuff found down there that's not remotely my experience, so I don't even bother take the cyclops down there anymore.

i think the alien batteries are also a lot more powerful. Or just power drain on the most obnoxious utilities is way down? Like, I remember the flashlight being loving ridiculous in Subnautica but in BZ you can pop an ion battery in anything and forget about it. It's got its own problems but they've cleaned up a lot of the dreary logistical grind just to keep your stuff running

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 13, 2021

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
the cyclops ruled. never had any power issues with it, even using the sonar. just keep an extra set of cells onboard. one set charging at a base, one set being used, one set in storage; rotate as need. simple

the seamoth was great fun too. very convenient. except mine kept getting mulched by reapers and it was a pain to have to keep making them. i of course except responsibility: it was always my fault

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there some random terrain generation going on with Subnautica? I thought the map was fixed, but this time around the giant coral tube with minerals in the shallows didn't have any side holes into cave systems.

Also, is Below Zero more or less scary than original Subnautica? Going down to the 500m mark now in Subnautica and this might be the 4-5th time I've noped out of the game after reaching that point.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

Is there some random terrain generation going on with Subnautica? I thought the map was fixed, but this time around the giant coral tube with minerals in the shallows didn't have any side holes into cave systems.

Also, is Below Zero more or less scary than original Subnautica? Going down to the 500m mark now in Subnautica and this might be the 4-5th time I've noped out of the game after reaching that point.

Out of interest, was at least one of the times specifically because this song started playing as you entered the blood kelp zone? The first couple of times it happened I didn't realise it was just the area theme and thought it was the game warning that a leviathan had spotted you and just ran away in terror

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

multijoe posted:

Out of interest, was at least one of the times specifically because this song started playing as you entered the blood kelp zone? The first couple of times it happened I didn't realise it was just the area theme and thought it was the game warning that a leviathan had spotted you and just ran away in terror

The last time I stopped was when I was doing a sonar ping and saw the grid fall down into nothingness, and far out in that nothing the grid showed a leviathan

By the way, do sonar pings get noticed by any wildlife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

The last time I stopped was when I was doing a sonar ping and saw the grid fall down into nothingness, and far out in that nothing the grid showed a leviathan

By the way, do sonar pings get noticed by any wildlife?

I'm 99% sure they don't, the game says some stuff about Reapers using sonar through their roars too but I'm pretty sure that's just PR. I loving loved that emergent horror of being out in open water in the dark though, the worst is when a Reaper goes into silent mode and the first you know about it is it doing its charge roar right next to you