Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

grate deceiver posted:

I forgot about the powerful magical being that for some reason looks like a 9yo girl and speaks with an annoying affectation.

I've spent 5 hours on this show, how much further until it gets 'good'

I think it keeps getting better but tbh if you’re not on board by this point cut your losses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Look I already played SRW T :colbert:

But I'll raise you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv8K1MQkXUY

Edit: Also nuh-uh. Most of Alpha 1 is just a single future Earth setting. If you don't count like Dunbine.

Honestly, you don't need to go as far as Dunbine for a reason when you've got Masoukishin right there and integrated firmly into the core narrative due to the rights clusterfuck. You could kind of write Masaki in like Z2 off as a series mascot, but when Shu shows up alongside him like in α/gaiden, the og series, or the OG series (:v:) the least isekai you're getting is one of the key protags having his climactic last volume showdown back in "the real world" as an integral part of the main plot.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tanya the evil manga is the best version because she's just Blackadder trying and failing to get off the front line

Also all the cute animal drawings :3:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok now that's a bit not fair, alpha gaiden is explicitly an Isekai where all of the characters get sent to a different world for most of the game.

In Alpha 2 you've got Tetsuya going on about how none of that counts anymore, and everyone should just pretend it wasn't a thing.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 18:08 on May 13, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Is there an isekai about a fantasy hero being reincarnated into modern Japan and having to get a soul crushing office job? I feel like there should be at least 10 of them by now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

grate deceiver posted:

Is there an isekai about a fantasy hero being reincarnated into modern Japan and having to get a soul crushing office job? I feel like there should be at least 10 of them by now

There's one where Satan gets transported into modern day Japan and has to get a job at McDonald's

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Ok now that's a bit not fair, alpha gaiden is explicitly an Isekai where all of the characters get sent to a different world for most of the game.

In Alpha 2 you've got Tetsuya going on about how none of that counts anymore, and everyone should just pretend it wasn't a thing.

I'm not even really thinking the bulk of Gaiden, because of that. Just the importance of the underlying DC/Masoukishin plot, and the weird "we can't or won't actually show the isekai because either we don't have the rights anymore or we don't want the other people claiming the rights to get free advertising, but we are sure we can use these popular characters and we're going to make them significant to the overall worldbuilding because that bolsters our own claim" situation.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well, I guess Time Divers are just isekai protagonists anyway.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

where does SRWV and its knotted up ball of at least two isekais going on at any given time fall on this

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Bro Dad posted:

Tanya the evil manga is the best version because she's just Blackadder trying and failing to get off the front line

Also all the cute animal drawings :3:

That's pretty much all she does in the show. She hates God because it won't let her just be a useless piece of poo poo and live off the luxuries other people provide for her.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Srice posted:

Some folks think that because nobody explicitly says "war crimes are bad, you shouldn't do them", that the show thinks it's good when Tanya commits war crimes.

Which is doubly crazy because there's literally a character on her side if the war that thinks she's an evil monster. But fascist morons will do what they do

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Which is doubly crazy because there's literally a character on her side if the war that thinks she's an evil monster. But fascist morons will do what they do

It's literally the title.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

It's literally the title.

I know but in the show itself he's like the only character that voices it. In case people didn't realize it and they still don't

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tanya the Based

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

grate deceiver posted:

There's that one about the Roman guy getting sent to modern Japan where he is blown away by modern bathhouses.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

There's that one about the Roman guy getting sent to modern Japan where he is blown away by modern bathhouses.

Thermae Romae, but he uses his weird trip inspirations to design very cool bathhouses. It's kind of the opposite of soul crushing exploitation of wage slavery.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There's also the one about the Roman dude going to 50's Japan to get Olympic game ideas.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error posted:

There's also the one about the Roman dude going to 50's Japan to get Olympic game ideas.

That's an ancient Greek dude, c'mon man.
https://youtu.be/Vm-HO1wQzHk

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Gundam Wing is Isekai because the Earth is another world.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
When did the term isekai/the concept itself become so popular? I stopped following anime actively around 2004, as in watching stuff as it came out in Japan, and back then I don't think I ever heard the term. Recently I watched some anime and when I was browsing around it kept popping up. Did I just somehow miss it entirely?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Rick and Morty is an Isekai

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what's the word for isekai when the character isn't transported to an alien world but their regular world becomes alien to them? special-kai?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

pairofdimes posted:

When did the term isekai/the concept itself become so popular? I stopped following anime actively around 2004, as in watching stuff as it came out in Japan, and back then I don't think I ever heard the term. Recently I watched some anime and when I was browsing around it kept popping up. Did I just somehow miss it entirely?

sword art online is probably the start of the modern era but it's been a trope for a long rear end time.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

pairofdimes posted:

You can more or less blame it entirely on the runaway popularity of Sword Art Online, so 2012, even though SAO properly belongs in a more specific "players trapped inside literal video game world" subgenre.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A lot of this poo poo is light novel adaptations, so if you want to track down where it took off you'd have to look there instead of anime.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

pairofdimes posted:

Google trends say the term first started showing up in English around 2009, got a big spike in usage in 2012 (which I believe is when the Sword Art Online anime began airing) and has been on a major upswing since 2017 or so, as more and more stuff in the genre has gotten anime adaptations. Anecdotally I first heard the term around when SAO was big. I'm not sure when the term first started being used as a genre in Japanese, though.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

pairofdimes posted:

the one that kind of created the modern genre is The Familiar of Zero, which is about a witch who wants to summon a powerful magical familiar and instead gets an ordinary Japanese high school boy. don't think it was super popular here, it came out in he late 00s. anyway it had a massive fanfiction community, and people who wrote that started writing original works, and it just spiraled out from there.

I think what makes it different from just a regular transported to another world story is the hyper focus on the rules of a setting, and to the point of just being a rpg a lot of the time.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isekai#Modern_Japanese_media

quote:

.hack (2002 debut) franchises, were some of the first works to present the concept of isekai as a virtual world, with Sword Art Online (2002 web novel debut) following in their footsteps.[21] Another isekai anime series from the 2000s is Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (2002).[16]

A popular isekai light novel and anime series in the 2000s was The Familiar of Zero (2004 debut), where the male lead Saito is from modern Japan and is summoned to a fantasy world by the female lead Louise.[22] The Familiar of Zero popularized the isekai genre in web novel and light novel media, along with the website Shōsetsuka ni Narō ("Let's Become Novelists"), known as Narō for short. The Familiar of Zero fan fiction became popular on Narō during the late 2000s, eventually spawning a genre of isekai novels on the site, which became known as Narō novels. The Familiar of Zero fan fiction writers eventually began writing original isekai novels, such as Tappei Nagatsuki who went on to create Re:Zero (2012 debut). The 2012 anime adaptation of Sword Art Online popularized the isekai genre in anime, which led to more isekai web novels being published on Narō and a number of Narō novels being adapted into anime. It was around this time that the term "isekai" was coined.[23]

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-03-19/mushoku-tensei-is-not-the-pioneer-of-isekai-web-novels-but/.170429

quote:

Today's anime landscape is oversaturated with isekai stories based on web novels originally posted on Shōsetsuka ni Narō ("Let's Become Novelists," or Narō for short).

When the Narō website first launched in 2004, the web novel scene was in a very different place. This was not long after the "cell phone novel" boom in Japan, which was very popular among teenage girls and young women. Because of this, Narō's original audience skewed female, and romantic dramas were the dominant genre.

Even though it's ostensibly a site for posting novels, for years people used the website to post fanfiction. Those fanfics were massive in forming the roots of what we now call the isekai genre. The Re:Zero author recalls a time when The Familiar of Zero fanfics were all the rage, and how he himself got his start as an author by writing fanfics.

When fanfiction was banned altogether in 2012, the authors found their way around that by writing stories that follow the logic of fanfiction – just without the explicit connection to an IP.

These are the discrete origins of the "meta" quality of the isekai genre that is often remarked upon by fans and critics alike. By sharing the familiar template setting of "the other world," the stories maintain enough common ground that readers can easily dip in knowing broadly what to expect – the same way fanfiction writers use an IP's characters and setting to draw readers into their story. It's also worth noting that Narō also uses a tag system identical to fanfiction websites. Because of the "fanfic, but also not fanfic" nature of this type of novel, they came to be known as Narō-kei, or "Narō-type" novels.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 05:37 on May 14, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mirello posted:

lol, I know it's cool to be like "this popular thing is trash" but all the anti re:zero stuff is pretty dumb. lol at the one guy who watched four episodes out of order and says its crap. I guess I'd grant that it takes a bit to really get good, but once you're in you're hooked. lol at some dude saying it's a power fantasy, suburu's literal only power is to die and suffer horribly. He might be one of the most cursed guys in anime. the fun of the show is seeing him be in all these hosed up situations and see how he can get out of it. especially season 2 really seemed like he was hosed, but somehow they pulled it out.
it's a terrible show for horny losers

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
re:zero requires an extended list of caveats to explain why it isn't bad. i do not understand how that makes it good.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
i liked that horny assassin girl in re:zero she was pretty sexy

edit: i only watched the first season so if the show got whack afterwards cant speak to that!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

TenementFunster posted:

it's a terrible show for horny losers

okay now im interested

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
OK that explains why I wasn't familiar with it, the entire genre basically sprang up while I wasn't looking.

If I wanted to check out one of them, is the spider one good? I saw a few people mention it in the past few pages.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
also kuma kuma kuma bear for anyone unaware of it

e: is good i mean, as people say the spider one is

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So what you're saying is women are responsible for both the isekai genre and the real mecha genre

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

So what you're saying is women are responsible for both the isekai genre and the real mecha genre
Turn A is an isekai

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Eden’s Fall: Help! I was A Man’s Rib and Have Been Reincarnated as the First Woman!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I’ve seen all of re:zero and I think it’s a dog water anime for shmucks who will lap up anything with moderate production value and dynamic voice acting with a touch of grimdark because anime is so creatively bankrupt most of the time that anything slightly out of the box is mind blowing to people who only watch anime and Disney channel originals

supercub is great
oddtaxi is fantastic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Voice of Labor posted:

what's the word for isekai when the character isn't transported to an alien world but their regular world becomes alien to them? special-kai?

Schziophrenia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Schziophrenia

they live