Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think the reporter might have confused a homophone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
has anybody said horsecoin

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Hammerite posted:

I want to see buttcoiner takes about how this is fine and actually, good for bitcoin

https://twitter.com/FedGuy12/status/1392882364221562880

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

killhamster posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

yes of course a coin that hasn't been updated in two years and isn't traded anywhere has a market cap of over 200k, that's fine and normal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a prime money market fund that is pretending to be 1 to 1 tied to the US dollar, yeah that's how that works

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The largest share of their backing is in the category they call “Cash and Cash Equivalents and Other Short-Term Deposits and Commercial Paper”. That category is dominated by Commercial Paper. Commercial paper is largely unsecured bonds issued by companies to raise short term funds. It is unclear which corporations are included in this commercial paper. It is important to note that the asset breakdown very clearly says that the ‘Secured Loans’ are not to affiliated entities, it makes no such distinction for commercial paper. It is certainly possible that the commercial paper is coming from an affiliated entity.

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

i was expecting they would just not publish anything and stall out for another month

is it happening yet?

I want to see buttcoiner takes about how this is fine and actually, good for bitcoin

quote:

What does this all mean? It means I’m exhausted. Tether backs their liabilities with liabilities and launches them into a market-place that treats Tether as if they are safe and secure as a money market fund. Huge portions of Tether backing are assets who’s value is inherently dependent on counterparty’s creditworthiness and we know nothing of the creditworthiness. The market seems okay with this. People seem even relieved to have this breakdown.

I think it is absurd that a coin started with the premise that each token would be backed by a dollar is now backed by three pennies, but the market seems to feel comforted, so I guess if you choose you may continue to trust the liars who cannot maintain accurate records and who enter into deeply problematic transactions while using money launderers then you are free to do so.

sounds like its very good for bitcoin because the rational hand of the free market decided that its fine

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Cash and Cash Equivalents and Other Short-Term Deposits and Commercial Paper Rules Everything Around Me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's fun to imagine that "commercial paper" means that garbage single-ply georgia pacific toilet paper used in public bathrooms

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

commercially available paper

we went to staples and bought 114 million reams of paper, every tether is backed 1:1 with one sheet of A4 paper

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Cash, gold, expensive electronics, imaginary dollars - 75%

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

killhamster posted:

https://twitter.com/HighHorseBtc but sadly no https://twitter.com/Horse_iOS equivalent.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

killhamster posted:

yes i'd like to know more about hourse please

here is horse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkRkuI0ZgX0

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

is it time to sell my doge coin yet?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

nvrgrls posted:

is it time to sell my doge coin yet?

buy the dip

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

buy the dip

Or dye the bip.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

cry the tip

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Boxturret posted:

buy the dip

be the dip

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
cash and cash accessories

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I Can't Believe It's Not Cash

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Boxturret posted:

buy the dip
in some places this is called smokeless crypto

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

SporkOfTruth posted:

anyone got a definitive takedown of why proof of stake is still loving stupid? I have too many friends morphing into bazingas over this poo poo

like shame boy said it's not really stupid and in fact would be way way better for the entire world IF the major cryptos switched to proof of stake.

my personal theory as to the reason they don't switch, is it really gives lie to the idea that cryptocurrencies are "decentralized". while they aren't (anymore), the idea that they are is the main nominal thing that originally attracted people and you don't want to just throw that away because now you're just even more obviously selling the equivalent of WOW gold or robux.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/johnsemley3000/status/1392953104237203461

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

SporkOfTruth posted:

anyone got a definitive takedown of why proof of stake is still loving stupid? I have too many friends morphing into bazingas over this poo poo

Because it's a system where the best way to make money to already have money. It's just trying to restart the existing financial system with different people at the top.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Because it's a system where the best way to make money to already have money. It's just trying to restart the existing financial system with different people at the top.
note that this is true of "proof of [foo]" systems in general, because there is no value of foo such that the person with the most money can't make themselves the one who controls the most foo if they really care to do so

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
proof of snu-snu is the only just basis for a currency

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

but don't buy the berries dried on the mining rig

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

proof of dingleberries

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cool av posted:

like shame boy said it's not really stupid and in fact would be way way better for the entire world IF the major cryptos switched to proof of stake.

my personal theory as to the reason they don't switch, is it really gives lie to the idea that cryptocurrencies are "decentralized". while they aren't (anymore), the idea that they are is the main nominal thing that originally attracted people and you don't want to just throw that away because now you're just even more obviously selling the equivalent of WOW gold or robux.

i would like to clarify that my position is that it is, in fact, "really stupid", it's just stupid in a way where i don't have to care about it which is so much better than the current system

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

well, yes, fair enough

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yospos > butts coins: it is, in fact, "really stupid"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

i would like to clarify that my position is that it is, in fact, "really stupid", it's just stupid in a way where i don't have to care about it which is so much better than the current system
proof of stake would be good because there would be no ecological impact to watching this play out in 24/7 flame wars

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 14, 2021

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group proof of stake. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
was thinking to myself that maybe decentralization via having maybe, a maximum hash rate tied to transaction volume and equally distributed over the network's computers would be okay. rather than, you know, having the limit of energy consumption approach infinity while the transaction volume remains fixed. then again, i am not very bright, so

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

if the hashrate (or whatever) per node is fixed, then that just means that whoever wants to control the network has to collect more nodes instead of making individual nodes faster (buy building a better asic or whatever)

transaction volume as a control mechanism is a nonstarter because miners can decide how many (or how few) transactions to include per block. so if adding more transactions would make them more money, miners could just add a bunch of wash trades between addresses they control to boost the numbers. if lowering the number of transactions makes more money, well we already know what that looks like because a lot of miners have ignored transactions for the fractional increase in hashrate they can squeeze out of it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/profjeffjarviss/status/1392980085989421061

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
QR codes are widely used, do they require any amount of trust in them by the public? I don't get that tweet. I guess people showing their tickets on their phones trust that the QR code they display will get them through the barrier?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

there are certain people who think that bitcoin invented qr codes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1392960947501731842