Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
The base Music app is the only thing I’ve gotten to work worth a drat for tunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

The base Music app is the only thing I’ve gotten to work worth a drat for tunes

It’s the best of the bunch at it from my experience.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I finally got one of these today (a Nike SE) and it might've been one of the most fiddly unboxings and headachey first boots (took 3 attempts to get it to pair to my phone) I've ever had of an Apple thing. Feels nice now I've got it on though, and I find the Fitness+ trainers weirdly endearing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are there smartwatches that work with old people that aren't very fiddly and can actually help them organise their lives? I'm asking because my mother keeps leaving her phone in odd places, not keeping track of her mesixines and important dates and the like.

There would be solid support from her children (me) to help her set it up properly of course.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Affi posted:

Are there smartwatches that work with old people that aren't very fiddly and can actually help them organise their lives? I'm asking because my mother keeps leaving her phone in odd places, not keeping track of her mesixines and important dates and the like.

There would be solid support from her children (me) to help her set it up properly of course.

The Watch does have a thing that will ping your phone and make it chime so you can find it. As far as other organizing stuff, there's always the built in phone apps like Notes and Reminders. Reminders has an app on the watch but you can use Siri to make reminders that would be on both since they'd be synced up. Not sure about Notes on the watch or if you can tell Siri to make a note.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Are the newer watches better at stand detection? Hours not being counted annoys me more than I’d like to admit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Something weird I've noticed own my SE and I think its a bug.

Every so often I'll look at my watch and I'll see for a second the orange microphone icon light up then go away.

I don't have any apps installed on my watch and I haven't been able to figure why it does it or when it does it because it just seems random.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It'll do that if you've used Siri recently, or maybe if you do the raise to talk thing and it's listening for a Siri command?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It'll do that if you've used Siri recently, or maybe if you do the raise to talk thing and it's listening for a Siri command?

Maybe its the raise to talk kicking in because I don't use Siri on my watch like ever.

It just seems so random though. Not that is a big deal its just one of those "huh that's weird" things.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Something weird I've noticed own my SE and I think its a bug.

Every so often I'll look at my watch and I'll see for a second the orange microphone icon light up then go away.

I don't have any apps installed on my watch and I haven't been able to figure why it does it or when it does it because it just seems random.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Have you been twisting your wrist in a handwashing/jerk off motion? It might be handwashing detection. It watches for the twisting of the wrist, and then when it detects that, it listens for running water and the squelching of soap.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Buff Hardback posted:

Have you been twisting your wrist in a handwashing/jerk off motion? It might be handwashing detection. It watches for the twisting of the wrist, and then when it detects that, it listens for running water and the squelching of soap.

Lol handwashing detection to track jerkin it

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

I think I'm wash my hands wrong, the handwashing thing has never worked for me so I just turned it off.

Unrelated:

I got a official nylon loop on a whim, sized 2 sizes smaller than the apple-size-test (7 -> 5), and its the coziest most comfy band ever. I don't think I even want to wear a sports loop ever again. :ohdear:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 13, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Snuffman posted:

I think I'm wash my hands wrong, the handwashing thing has never worked for me so I just turned it off.

Unrelated:

I got a official nylon loop on a whim, sized 2 sizes smaller than the apple-size-test (7 -> 5), and its the coziest most comfy band ever. I don't think I even want to wear a sports loop ever again. :ohdear:

I've found really over emphasising the twist in the wrist, and making sure the water is nice and splashy tends to make it work.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dugong posted:

Are the newer watches better at stand detection? Hours not being counted annoys me more than I’d like to admit.

Mine does the opposite, I have about 5 hours daily where just moving the wrist on a keyboard or a steering wheel gets counted as standing. Also the hands washing detector seems to be more relying on the MEMS than the microphone on my mk.6, where moving the hands on the soap dispenser will spring it into action and the microphone indicator lighting up afterwards.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Buff Hardback posted:

I've found really over emphasising the twist in the wrist, and making sure the water is nice and splashy tends to make it work.

I'm just picturing people making a loving mess in the bathroom, getting soap and water everywhere, just so their watch doesn't think they're peeing without washing their hands.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I had bought the GPS SE almost 2 weeks ago and decided at the last second to return it for one with cellular. I found a cellular version for 40 bucks off and with the plum sport loop instead of a sweaty sport band! I am feeling pretty cool right now

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah, the orange microphone thing seems to be entirely related to the hand washing detection in my experience. Related, the hand washing detection is trash and congratulated me on successfully washing my hands like 7 times while I mowed the lawn the other day. It has also mistaken me petting my dog and (more understandably) doing the dishes but come on, Apple. Mowing the lawn? Really?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
All the watch sees is that it's moving in an unanchored 3D space and has to make sense of it. If the vibrations/motions induced look similar to the pattern it's looking for the handwashing detection, it's gonna assume that. If it's a mower you're pushing/guiding by hand, your wrist is probably going to move around a lot, if there's the slightest uneven terrain.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Nah, I understand how the detection works, I just feel like the watch should know the difference between "water running" and "lawn mower engine" because it sure seems like the trigger is just "loud noise" instead of a specific noise. Given that iPhones can now identify certain sounds passively like babies crying and fire alarms, I feel like this isn't a huge ask.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The rushing of water probably looks more like noise, making it harder to discern, whereas some baby crying leaves a decent spectral fingerprint. Things aren't always as easy as one expects at first glance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've been doing a lot of work around the house lately and the handwashing thing keeps popping up whenever I use a screwdriver, even with no noise. It just asks if I'm washing my hands or not and I have to constantly tell it no.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just turn it off. It is the stupidest feature in the universe. Seriously who needs a watch to tell them they are washing their hands properly? Turn it off and wash your hands normally.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Bu then how will I get that sweet dopamine hit from my watch telling me "Good Job!"?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SaturdayKnight posted:

Bu then how will I get that sweet dopamine hit from my watch telling me "Good Job!"?

Sit on your rear end a lot more and get it when it congratulates you for standing at ten minutes before the hour changes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IMO it's none of my watch's business whether I washed my hands.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

realbez posted:

Just turn it off. It is the stupidest feature in the universe. Seriously who needs a watch to tell them they are washing their hands properly? Turn it off and wash your hands normally.

Most of the time it would never even detect me washing my hands. I turned it off and it’s a feature I definitely do not miss. Just annoying.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That was the one unified opinion when I was reading SE reviews, that the hand washing detection just didn't work.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My hand washing detection has never not worked perfectly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Whenever a new hour begins and I’m moving, I get the credit for a stand hour within maybe 30 seconds. Obviously this is shorter than a minute. It doesn’t seem to happen any other time after the hour changes over. Anyone else encounter this?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is the hand wash detection something you have to opt into? Because I feel like my watch has never said a drat thing about hand washing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Is the hand wash detection something you have to opt into? Because I feel like my watch has never said a drat thing about hand washing.

Yes, it's a thing in the Health app you need to turn on.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
lmao I had no idea

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Yeah it sucks and the graphics are like a James pond game

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

sonatinas posted:

the graphics are like a James pond game

This almost sold me on it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

also you need something newer than a series 3 for hand washing detection to work

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
Anyone else experience where the stocks complication stops updating? Any ideas?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PatrickBateman posted:

Anyone else experience where the stocks complication stops updating? Any ideas?

Stop hallucinating about murder and perhaps it might start working?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

It looks like after the last WatchOS update (which required an unpair/repair because I've got a 3) I'm not getting cardio health/VO2max data anymore.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I have an Apple Watch Series 5 and the hand washing thing has never ever popped up except for one time I was wrapping a metal chain around a gate. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like Apple is adding more assistive technologies to the Apple Watch. You can use it one-handed!

https://twitter.com/Andi_Rohn/status/1395072287460630528?s=20