Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Morrowind was the first RPG with a huge modding community (Doom was probably the first major modding game and Quake the first 3d one) and some people never left.

There are people making new mods for Doom today as well, but it's a lot more limited in what you can do.

I think the question is why all this new animation stuff is happening now, and not 15 years ago when the modding community had more eyes on the problem. Did someone have to first solve N=NP to add in slav squatting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

You guys between the animations breakthrough and sound effects breakthrough I am getting kind of... hyped... for a game that came out 20 years ago. What.

Also how is this happening this long after this game came out.

Asterite34 posted:

I think the question is why all this new animation stuff is happening now, and not 15 years ago when the modding community had more eyes on the problem. Did someone have to first solve N=NP to add in slav squatting?
MWSE started as a way to extend mwscript into letting you do things like "use variables in functions" and "iterate on every reference in a cell". but you were still shackled to mwscript. morrowind scripts run every frame regardless, so the structure of them has to be such that you minimize the performance impact, and you happen to check the variable that changes on that one exact frame. its original incarnation is still brilliant and goes to show just how motivated people were to mod morrowind.

many years later nullcascade appeared and happened to love morrowind, know a lot of cpp and lua and reverse engineering, and be willing to work thousands of hours for free. at this point the sol project which is used to create lua bindings for cpp was pretty mature and most of the work consisted of translating all of the existing MWSE functions from mwscript bindings to lua.

morrowind animations are very aids to work with. all of the base animations are in a singular file, so any additions or changes to that are incompatible, unless you had someone willing to make an entire set of them and combine them into one addon. also, morrowind animations require blender 2.49 which is like 10 years out of date at this point. around a similar time nullcascade showed up, greatness7 started working on some more animation tools to assist with this kind of thing. the only problem is making animations still sucks.

in the past week or so greatness7 found https://www.mixamo.com/ which was made by adobe and has thousands of free licenced animations, so he wrote some blender code to import/export morrowind models into it. this prompted nullcascade and hrnchamd (mgexe / mcp / mwse dev) to write some bindings to force animations from an individual file.

tl;dr why didnt this happen earlier - you need a handful of people with very specific knowledge willing to work for nothing

GorfZaplen posted:

I hate whatever graphics stuff is going in here, makes the game look like a dime a dozen steam survival game instead of atmospheric
i think its just a basic grass mod and a water shader lol

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

For what its worth I hand animated those animations I posted. Idk how to use that mixamo thing lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
finally, h2h will become truely powerful

https://i.imgur.com/eRrMp7u.gifv

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

finally, h2h will become truely powerful

https://i.imgur.com/eRrMp7u.gifv

If someone adds that and the dragon uppercut I might actually beat the main quest.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For you it was the day the Tribunal betrayed you and became gods. For me, it was Tuesday.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Skwirl posted:

If someone adds that and the dragon uppercut I might actually beat the main quest.

there's a shitload of takedowns and blocks and stuff too, it'd be neat to switch h2h from merely does stamina damage to more of a way to manage a fight and manipulate it in different ways. It'd also be insanely difficult to pull off, probably. Or you could at least do a takedown instead of the guy just falls over. Probably would be pretty difficult to make it look natural with a rat or something.

With some of those block animations you might be able to do stuff like actually block an attack and redirect the damage to gauntlets similar to how shield works.

The interesting thing is making NPCs be able to do this kind of thing too. It would change up the way some npc jobs like (off the top of my head) slave: it doesn't have any weapons as a major or minor, but it does have block and hand to hand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I got to watching an LP of this and it made me want to play it again.

I have the graphics and code patches from the OP as well as morrowind rebirth, but specifically are there any mods that just remove the horrible creaking noises from dwemer ruins? They drive me mental listening to the same sound clip over and over again.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Orv posted:

For you it was the day the Tribunal betrayed you and became gods. For me, it was Tuesday.

This post right here deserves a lot of love!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skwirl posted:

There are people making new mods for Doom today as well, but it's a lot more limited in what you can do.
Have you seen the stuff people put out with e.g. GZDoom? It's unrecognisable as the same game

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Have you seen the stuff people put out with e.g. GZDoom? It's unrecognisable as the same game

Are there other games, particularly older ones, that still have an incredibly active modding community, other than Doom II and Morrowind?

We all know Skyrim does, but I'm looking at games older than that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

San Andreas maybe? 2004.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm surprised the NWN community died off. I wonder if it fractured after 2 came out, then everyone realised 2's construction set was incredibly difficult to work with and wouldn't sustain a community, and it never really recovered long term. Or maybe it was just easier for a lot of the bigger modders to just make their own indie RPGs once accessible engines and crowdfunding took off

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vavrek posted:

So I actually did this, finally, last November. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier.

Warnings: While I tested to make sure that Angel's Island was moved sufficiently far east so that it doesn't clip into Tamriel Rebuilt's worldspace, I did not actually play through the mod start to finish to see if everything still worked. (All the doors connecting the exterior and interior spaces are fine, I believe.) This is relevant because I also, kind of reflexively, cleaned the .esp and maybe that broke something. I don't know. I remember Muffinwind being half broken when I first played it anyway. (There were a lot of cool scripts that I read in the Construction Set and which didn't actually fire correctly in play.)

Here you go: https://www81.zippyshare.com/v/Z7oDkFwJ/file.html

It's just an .esp replacement, so the rest of the mod is still needed (rah rah).
ah poo poo, just saw this, sorry! Thank you very much for doing this, I'll add it as a patch and give you credit :)

Yeah, there are a bunch of broken scripts - a lot of them are just things I abandoned or found better (working) ways of doing them but there's definitely stuff that only sometimes fires. I am/was a bad workman so don't want to blame my tools too much, but I can say that the Morrowind dialogue system is very fragile when used to fire off scripts, give multiple choices etc. At one point I redid half the dialogue scripting because every multiple choice section was only giving me the first/top option, then I realised that was happening to my entire game, but maybe that was also a result of something I did?

But yeah, in retrospect making the mod was probably how I discovered I had no talent for scripting/programming whatsoever and that put the brakes on any vague computing/game design career I had in mind. I would say that was for the best but I became a lawyer instead so it definitely wasn't.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

Node posted:

Are there other games, particularly older ones, that still have an incredibly active modding community, other than Doom II and Morrowind?

We all know Skyrim does, but I'm looking at games older than that.

People are still making mods and fan games based on Fallout 2 (1998). There is an attempt to create Van Buren in FO2 engine currently in the works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are still people making HL1 mods out there though they aren't as prolific as they used to be obviously.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

people remaking zombies ate my neighbors in doom is genius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poKDBeT_fCM

re: old games with modding communities, civ 4 is another huge one, nwn1 is still fairly big given its age too

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Yeah. There is a cool baldurs gate-esque series of mods for NWN 1 called Swordflight. The latest bestest chapter was released a year ago.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

but of course the decline of modded UO servers proves that video games are not true art

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm surprised the NWN community died off. I wonder if it fractured after 2 came out, then everyone realised 2's construction set was incredibly difficult to work with and wouldn't sustain a community, and it never really recovered long term. Or maybe it was just easier for a lot of the bigger modders to just make their own indie RPGs once accessible engines and crowdfunding took off

People are still doing stuff, a lot of it is asset creation though. They've done some wild stuff with the engine as well, like importing entire dark souls levels or the entirety of Megaton from Fallout 3. The Enhanced Edition has added tons of stuff for mod creators too so that brought a lot of people back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Node posted:

I don't know if it's incredibly active, but Deus Ex has gotten several big mods and overhauls in the last few years.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

People are still doing stuff, a lot of it is asset creation though. They've done some wild stuff with the engine as well, like importing entire dark souls levels or the entirety of Megaton from Fallout 3. The Enhanced Edition has added tons of stuff for mod creators too so that brought a lot of people back.

lmao badass. I wonder if we'll finally get the third almraiven mod one day...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Simcity 4 modding is still pretty active too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It's funny because game executives often think (idiotically) that they shouldn't permit their games to be modded because what if nobody plays the next one because this moddable one stays relevant for a long time! Gotta build in that planned obsolescence! Or what if somebody mods in boobs and moms everywhere demand to speak with the manager of video games.

Mods equating to a negative effect on revenue has never really happened. Effectively nobody who liked and heavily modded Morrowind skipped buying Oblivion because Morrowind was still relevant, and nobody skipped out on Skyrim either despite at least two of the previous games in the series allowing mods. The "only" thing I can really tell that modding accomplishes for developers is keeping a series relevant in the hearts and minds of tons of gamers, who will themselves spread the word about how great the series to other people is because they've been able to put together their perfect, idealized, personalized version of the game. You can't buy that kind of marketing.

Basically, games executives who lock down on modding games for fear of their precious vision being ruined or future sales being negatively effected, or fear of some possibly latent "hot coffee" fiasco are leaving tons of money on the table, both now and in the future.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 13, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's very little "locking down modding" TBH. Even Rockstar, who wants to, failed to lock down GTA 5. It's more that modern games are incredibly complex, and built around workflows involving licensed tools that can't just be handed out to modders. TES games have an enormous amount of tech debt that is largely due to sticking with an incredibly old and lovely workflow. I hope against hope that TES6 and Starfield are built on entirely new technology, even if that means no formal modding support. Obviously Bethesda would still gently caress things up to the moon and back, but it'd probably be much less bad without the absolute shitshow of a foundation they built for Morrowind still underpinning everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There was that magical late 90s/early 2000s period where games were complex enough to do all sorts of interesting things but simple enough that anyone with some motivation could learn to mod them. The skill required to just model a new demon to add to something like Doom Eternal locks out 95% of the people who would be making mods in the Half-Life era.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

K8.0 posted:

There's very little "locking down modding" TBH. Even Rockstar, who wants to, failed to lock down GTA 5. It's more that modern games are incredibly complex, and built around workflows involving licensed tools that can't just be handed out to modders. TES games have an enormous amount of tech debt that is largely due to sticking with an incredibly old and lovely workflow. I hope against hope that TES6 and Starfield are built on entirely new technology, even if that means no formal modding support. Obviously Bethesda would still gently caress things up to the moon and back, but it'd probably be much less bad without the absolute shitshow of a foundation they built for Morrowind still underpinning everything.

I believe they already announced that Starfield will be based on their existing Gamebryo tooling/workflow :negative:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Voice acting is the worst thing to happen to rpgs. One-man team quest mods, let alone something like TR couldnt be made if every line needed to be voiced. The number of skyrim quest mods pales in comparison to the number for morrowind despite having 100x the modders

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Agreed. Not every game should be voice acted. Also I think it detracts a ton from immersion. I still to this day love the way that asking NPCs about news/rumors works in Morrowind, something that simply can't be done as well with voice acting. Random NPCs in Morrowind feel much more real than in modern RPGs, because they're much more similar to the rest of the characters. I dislike voice acting for another reason as well : combined with quest markers, it seems to have made drudging through self-indulgent wankery writing much worse. Yes, I could outright skip all the badly-written dialogue, but that really detracts from the immersion factor and why bother playing a game with mediocre mechanics at that point?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Strongly agree; there's no voice acting in Shadowrun: Dragonfall, or Hong Kong, and it's to their credit; those AA titles wouldn't have nearly the same content if they'd tried to voice it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think limited voice acting of some key lines/scenes and some audio barks is fine, best when normalized with plenty of unspoken text.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's true, a few voiced lines can establish a, well, voice for the larger body of text.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Morrowind gets it exactly right, I think. I can still hear everything in Caius' voice and every Caius meme brings his voice to mind. Same with Dagoth Ur and many others. Not to mention just the general NPC barks living in my head rent free.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's true, a few voiced lines can establish a, well, voice for the larger body of text.

Baldur's Gate II is an excellent example of this, just when I've 'lost' a particular voice a voiced line tends to pop up.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Voice acting is the worst thing to happen to rpgs. One-man team quest mods, let alone something like TR couldnt be made if every line needed to be voiced. The number of skyrim quest mods pales in comparison to the number for morrowind despite having 100x the modders

I’m really hoping something like what the modders did with this Witcher 3 mods becomes easily accessible. Bethesda’s insistence on using the same 5 voice actors for every character might actually be beneficial in generating a good training set.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=nBrQgG1O-3g&feature=emb_title

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's still people making NWN mods.

Baldur's Gate also still has an active modding community, neither are as big as Doom or Morrowind or Skyrim, but they exist.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Agree with this. Also that Morrowind got it right with everybody being able to utter one of a handful of short phrases and grunts, but the vast majority of the information transfer happening without recorded voice work.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 14, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Perfection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHjxFpQ3ZYI

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ho fan posted:

I’m really hoping something like what the modders did with this Witcher 3 mods becomes easily accessible. Bethesda’s insistence on using the same 5 voice actors for every character might actually be beneficial in generating a good training set.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=nBrQgG1O-3g&feature=emb_title
It's been done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCR0Urs8Z4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Given the sheer quantity of dialogue in these games it's also often a better experience to read most of it. The writing in Disco Elysium is book-quality most of the time but having it read out to you for the entire game would be grating. I haven't played the final cut yet but I hope there's an option to turn most of the added voice acting off.

Oblivion is the poster child for really overextending yourself relative to your casting and vocal direction but even games like Mass Effect struggle with this. Sure the main plot is cinematic and engaging, but is the exposition dump from vendor #242 that's technically fully voiced (with procedurally generated camera angles and the 'hand rubbing back of neck animation used 10 times) adding that much to the game?

I think with the resurgence of the PC as a platform this is changing - not for any elitist reason, just because this type of game is much nicer to play using a screen and peripherals that are primarily designed for reading and manipulating text.