Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I want a snake friend, I love them very much and they are so gentle and loving and I just want to fuss over them all day long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

prepuce repurposed posted:

His name is Kobe Bryant and he is hidey rn

I'm really vibing on secret snake.

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

I want a snake friend, I love them very much and they are so gentle and loving and I just want to fuss over them all day long

I quite like snakes but I don't think I could tolerate the general smell for very long.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

xcheopis posted:

I quite like snakes but I don't think I could tolerate the general smell for very long.

I'm so used to weird reptile smells anymore, I've always had birds and reptiles and amphibians and fish and dogs and cats and what I've learned is we probably smell bad to them too.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

xcheopis posted:

That's a nice log he's got there. Good location, great view. How much is the mortgage?

3 hoppers per month. I recently learned about different kinds of young mice which is what you feed a snake like this apparently. Small ones are called pinkies, fuzzies and hoppers according to their age/size at the pet store. Alternately you could feed Kobe Bryant snakes instead of young mice since that's what king snakes are all about, but that's seen as cost prohibitive in the snek ownership community. Anyways I got super yucked out and sad learning all this

:ocelot:

also there's no smell :shrug:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Nature is cruel. Sometimes metal as gently caress, but cruel.

My friend's bearded dragon might come visit me for a week soon if friend has to go to the hospital for stuff, so I am a little excited because he's very personable and likes to chill with people.

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm so used to weird reptile smells anymore, I've always had birds and reptiles and amphibians and fish and dogs and cats and what I've learned is we probably smell bad to them too.

We had all sorts of animals growing up and it turns out the only ones whose smell doesn't bother me nowadays is cats and they are stinky little monsters a lot of the time. I really like dogs but I don't like dog smell on me. :(

Stoner Sloth

Mormon Nailer posted:

Nature is cruel. Sometimes metal as gently caress, but cruel.

My friend's bearded dragon might come visit me for a week soon if friend has to go to the hospital for stuff, so I am a little excited because he's very personable and likes to chill with people.

hope your friend is okay but also that you get to look after bearded dragon cause they are chill and lovely

also Kobe Bryant (the snake) is adorable!! :3:

cruft

Last summer, Ms cruft put a fountain in the back yard, and it triggered us converting the whole area into this really nice sheltered porch. My dad gave us an old trail camera to photograph all the birds that visit.

Spotted Towhee

Mountain Chickadee

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Have you seen any of the little bluebirds that come up your way, cruft? My buddies in Santa Fe and Albuquerque are on the lookout but none yet.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Have you seen any of the little bluebirds that come up your way, cruft? My buddies in Santa Fe and Albuquerque are on the lookout but none yet.

Right now it seems to mostly be Crows, Towhees, Finches, and Chickadees. We usually see some very pretty towhees later in the year, and occasionally some blue colored thing. I'm just getting started being able to identify birds.

Oh, and nuthatches.

I think the mountain chickadees are crazy cute.

GATOS Y VATOS

I had a couple of bird feeders out my window since last summer and I really enjoyed it as did Rokit and Lulu, but last month I found a rat feeding on one of them and they had to come down. :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7wjQMDX9o

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

Oh, and nuthatches.

mods please ban this alt account of known byob criminal Terry

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

cruft

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I had a couple of bird feeders out my window since last summer and I really enjoyed it as did Rokit and Lulu, but last month I found a rat feeding on one of them and they had to come down. :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7wjQMDX9o

I can't recommend a water source enough, our dinky solar fountain brought in tons of birds, and is really pleasant to just sit outside and listen to.

Just before I came in, a swarm of finches flew in. One perched on my trowel until it realized there was a giant omnivore attached.

Doll House Ghost

When your drat boat is too small but your pride is too big:

Does anyone else have a pet who thrives on being uncomfortable? My cat's favourite sleeping places are: On this very small and scratchy basket, wedged between shoes in drafty hallway, stretched on top of a book or other hard object. You hardly ever catch him sleeping on bed or couch.

cruft

Doll House Ghost posted:

D'awww!

quote:

Does anyone else have a pet who thrives on being uncomfortable?

Can't say as I do, op.

xcheopis

Doll House Ghost posted:

Does anyone else have a pet who thrives on being uncomfortable? My cat's favourite sleeping places are: On this very small and scratchy basket, wedged between shoes in drafty hallway, stretched on top of a book or other hard object. You hardly ever catch him sleeping on bed or couch.

Delightful kitty!

They do it on purpose just to annoy you. Tanuki was elderly and had spreading arthritis but could still sleep in positions that I couldn't even at my height of good health. Floofy rear end in a top hat.

Megabound

My cats continue to get along

xcheopis

Megabound posted:

Do they ever just hang out together?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Megabound posted:

Have you taken your small cat to the vet yet? Have you named small cat?

Megabound

Small cat has not been to the vet, not super interested in interacting yet. Just pops in for a feed and leaves again. I have named it Lotsum, cause it's a lot of possum.

xcheopis

Megabound posted:

Small cat has not been to the vet, not super interested in interacting yet. Just pops in for a feed and leaves again. I have named it Lotsum, cause it's a lot of possum.

Having a safe place to eat is incredibly important. Thank you for being kind to the possum.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
This is Kacie, she's an African Grey

Areola Grande

Pleiadian Light posted:

dont eat my snek

Areola Grande

Beautiful plumage

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
And she got in a fight with a hawk earlier this week. That was frightening.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Pleiadian Light posted:

Oh my gods I love her. Give her gentle head scritchies from me.

Really missing my parrot Bozho today. He was in his 70s or 80s, we're pretty sure, a Catalina type macaw she bought (read: probably stole) from a shipyard master, when he finally went. He was my great grandmother's parrot that I inherited when I was wee. She'd had him since he was young-ish. A big beautiful fucker with a foul mouth. I loved him so much.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Thinkin bout getting a bird but gotta do research into bird trusts and stuff first.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Mormon Nailer posted:

Oh my gods I love her. Give her gentle head scritchies from me.

Really missing my parrot Bozho today. He was in his 70s or 80s, we're pretty sure, a Catalina type macaw she bought (read: probably stole) from a shipyard master, when he finally went. He was my great grandmother's parrot that I inherited when I was wee. She'd had him since he was young-ish. A big beautiful fucker with a foul mouth. I loved him so much.

Kacie is 30ish. My uncle passed and kacie and I are now besties. I'm teaching her how to fly and she's teaching me how to byob. She makes lots of friends on our walks

I just looked up Catalina macaws. Wow!

cruft

That parrot rules.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Pleiadian Light posted:

Kacie is 30ish. My uncle passed and kacie and I are now besties. I'm teaching her how to fly and she's teaching me how to byob. She makes lots of friends on our walks

I just looked up Catalina macaws. Wow!

Kacie is cool as hell and obviously a very good teacher bc the BYOB is flowing from inside your heart already.

Imma go look at birbs today at the sanctuary anyway, maybe we can get pictures if they're not too hype from me bringing them fruit.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I like pictures

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Pleiadian Light posted:

I like pictures

Buddy do I have a deal for you.

I also am obtaining my hard drives, finally, from out west. You will soon see pictures of my time at Monterey Bay Aquarium, teaching the baby otters to otter good. Also the videos of me being trained by the California giant octopus, may she rest in peace, that was my charge for her lifespan.

Her babies grew up and made more babies that also grew up and made babies, and they're all going to make babies soon too. I'm sad my big girl had to go when she did, but she was the smartest, gentlest octopus that ever slapped me up side my head.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Aw man, I really wanna chat with an octopus some day

cruft

Octopuses just do not live long. I was talking to a neurologist once who speculated that if they lived longer, they'd probably rival humans in terms of architectural and historical legacy. They're really fuckin' smart, in other words.

cruft

Pleiadian Light posted:

Aw man, I really wanna chat with an octopus some day

I mean, probably not, actually. Like, imagine aliens land from Vendusia 7, and they're smarter than we are, and they have 8 legs and voracious appetite for human flesh. That's how a chat with an octopus would go, probably.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

I mean, probably not, actually. Like, imagine aliens land from Vendusia 7, and they're smarter than we are, and they have 8 legs and voracious appetite for human flesh. That's how a chat with an octopus would go, probably.

You've never interacted with a cephalopod. They're pretty gentle.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

You've never interacted with a cephalopod. They're pretty gentle.

Tell that to a crab!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

cruft posted:

But would tea be served?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him