Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm not sure about those two particular strips. InOrder dates their strips, Daily does not. Jucika ran for 13 years, JucikaInOrder uses this header which summarizes her design changes:

It also appears to tell a tragedy if you read it clockwise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

Jucika ran for 13 years, JucikaInOrder uses this header which summarizes her design changes:

It also appears to tell a tragedy if you read it clockwise...

That's adorable thanks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mikl posted:

This of course was more than ten years before Patreon. I honestly don't know if "webcomic author" was a viable profession back in the early 'aughts; even now, unless you're super big, making a webcomic usually isn't enough to make a living off of.
Back this early, the brass ring for a lot of people was a newspaper syndication, banner ads still had a few years to go before they were profitable and bandwidth was a lot more expensive. A popular comic linking to a lesser known one could crash its website from the traffic influx.

Some creators had luck with merchandise, but that was also harder to do with fewer options for printing books, shirts, that kind of thing. One thing that caught on was a proto-Patreon arrangement where creators asked fans to donate a large enough lump sum to cover a year's salary. I'm pretty sure R.K. Milholland of Something Positive was the first to do it:

quote:

Something Positive by R.K. Milholland is one of the most well-known webcomics on the Internet. I enjoy the art, and the writing is great as well. However, Something Positive is also known for R.K.'s infamous fundraiser back in 2004. A reader complained about a lack of updates to the strip, and R.K. responded by daring his readers to donate to the strip so that he could do it full-time and not miss an update. Although his original plan was just to hush the critics (see the full story in the FAQ on his site here), much to his surprise his readers DID respond, and in a month he earned the equivalent to his salary at the time! Many webcomics have tried to follow suit, but not many have been able to match that incredible feat.
(Source: http://www.comicstripfan.com/webcomics/s/somethingpositive.htm )

And I remember Mookie of Dominic Deegan doing the same thing a year or two after.

People would also do up-front pre-orders to cover the cost of a print run in a kind of Kickstarter-esque business model to gauge interest. The danger of doing this, though, is Paypal could and did flag someone's account for fraudulent activity with the sudden surge of cash. I want to say Girly's artist got burned by this, but I can't find anything on a quick google with hazy search terms.

So, long story short, some people could manage a living from webcomics, but it was a different environment 20 years ago. This is just going off of my memory as a hobbyist who's mostly on the outside looking in at these things.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This was really informative, thanks! :)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

jucika bout to gently caress a snowman

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

kidcoelacanth posted:

jucika bout to gently caress a snowman

That's cold man.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A friend of mine's dad had his doctor tell him to eat better or else. His wife spent 2-3 years cooking every meal for him, good carbs, vegetables at every meal, low-fat protein. Putting SO MUCH labor into keeping this man alive. And every night he'd eat about two bites of what she fixed, drive down to McDonald's and eat whatever he wanted sitting in the driveway.

Stroked out at 60, sat in a wheelchair for about 5 years, then died. I bet I've thought about that man twice a week for 10 years.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mercury Hat posted:

Back this early, the brass ring for a lot of people was a newspaper syndication, banner ads still had a few years to go before they were profitable and bandwidth was a lot more expensive. A popular comic linking to a lesser known one could crash its website from the traffic influx.

Some creators had luck with merchandise, but that was also harder to do with fewer options for printing books, shirts, that kind of thing. One thing that caught on was a proto-Patreon arrangement where creators asked fans to donate a large enough lump sum to cover a year's salary. I'm pretty sure R.K. Milholland of Something Positive was the first to do it:
(Source: http://www.comicstripfan.com/webcomics/s/somethingpositive.htm )

And I remember Mookie of Dominic Deegan doing the same thing a year or two after.

People would also do up-front pre-orders to cover the cost of a print run in a kind of Kickstarter-esque business model to gauge interest. The danger of doing this, though, is Paypal could and did flag someone's account for fraudulent activity with the sudden surge of cash. I want to say Girly's artist got burned by this, but I can't find anything on a quick google with hazy search terms.

So, long story short, some people could manage a living from webcomics, but it was a different environment 20 years ago. This is just going off of my memory as a hobbyist who's mostly on the outside looking in at these things.

Some people could make a go of it; Scott Kurtz leaned hard into the merchandising aspect early on enough to make a difference.

Then of course there's Penny Arcade and PAX, which is like winning webcomic Powerball.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 18, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Mar. 18, 1945)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

That's cold man.

Yes, man cold. But woman hot!
(sorry)

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I am SO ready to watch Willie and/or Modesty ride an elephant and stomp the bad guys to death. SO ready.

And Aleta continues to own. About to die of dehydration (lol no way) and completely undisturbed :allears:

Classic Zits

All three of these are adorable IMO

Brenda Starr, 8/2/69 (nice)

Country niece? Think Abretha had a kid and, shockingly, didn’t give her a pun name?

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (October 3, 1992)

Tenavatähti was a kid's singing talent show that ran 1990-1995. It was criticized for the choice of songs that often were more serious and adult-oriented than lighter children's songs, referenced here by the boy singing Mustasukkaisuutta by Olavi Virta, a dramatic song about jealousy and romantic longing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Eating pizza like humans do.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

This woman is pissing me off.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Any idea on the year for this? Boondocks is set in the suburbs of Chicago (Lake Forest specifically, IIRC) so I’m curious if this is a joke about the Rev JJ replacing Gene Siskel on Siskel & Ebert.

Aaaaand, because it’s relevant, I also found this article facing the comics page last night:

The “bread basket” initiative profiled here was the Black Panther’s free breakfast program, spearheaded by Fred Hampton and supported by the multiracial mutual aid group comprised of what the CPD called gangs. What would later be (sometimes demeaningly) referred to as Rev Jackson’s “Rainbow Coalition” was made up of the Young Patriots, a Northside group of largely white Appalachian migrants to Chicago; the Young Lords, a Puerto Rican community group based in Humboldt Park in the near west side of the city; and of course the Black Panther Party under the leadership of Fred Hampton, who convinced the Keystone Rangers and several other Black Southside criminal groups to put turf wars aside and contribute to this nascent mutual aid society.

For very mysterious (see: racist) reasons, the Tribune here completely ignores the Black Panthers and the Rainbow Coalition. Rev Jackson, however, had and has an innate talent for garnering attention from the press, often at the expense of allowing them to ignore the important intersectional efforts of Fred Hampton et al. To this day, many Black Chicagoans (and I assume Americans, but I can only speak for Chicago) still consider Jesse Jackson a sellout and worse for this reason.

Four months and two days after this article was published, Fred Hampton was asassinated by the FBI while sleeping in his bed next to his pregnant girlfriend. He was 21 years old. His murder was committed under the auspices of COINTELPRO, and although the FBI informant who sold him out (the Judas of the recent movie) has never been publicly named, many believe he was betrayed by Bobby Rush, a 20+ year Congressman who is still serving.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 13, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Huxley posted:

A friend of mine's dad had his doctor tell him to eat better or else. His wife spent 2-3 years cooking every meal for him, good carbs, vegetables at every meal, low-fat protein. Putting SO MUCH labor into keeping this man alive. And every night he'd eat about two bites of what she fixed, drive down to McDonald's and eat whatever he wanted sitting in the driveway.

Stroked out at 60, sat in a wheelchair for about 5 years, then died. I bet I've thought about that man twice a week for 10 years.
There was a Dustin strip a year or two ago where Ed's doctor flat out told him if he didn't lose weight he might drop dead at any moment.

But now here he is looking for a new scale and planning on when he can eat junk food.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Presto posted:

There was a Dustin strip a year or two ago where Ed's doctor flat out told him if he didn't lose weight he might drop dead at any moment.

But now here he is looking for a new scale and planning on when he can eat junk food.

It really made me appreciate all the times the women in my life have put extra work into keeping me alive.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Any idea on the year for this? Boondocks is set in the suburbs of Chicago (Lake Forest specifically, IIRC) so I’m curious if this is a joke about the Rev JJ replacing Gene Siskel on Siskel & Ebert.

2002 was my guess, and sure enough, that's when Sweet Home Alabama came out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: webcomics, am I right? (April 16-22, 2001)

where are you getting your oil from, creepy animal hellworld people

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

George King you do know people can grow or shave a moustache

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Zereth posted:

where are you getting your oil from, creepy animal hellworld people

Massive corn subsidies, as God intended.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry forgets that honesty is the best policy, or See what you get by relying on Graig?! Also - the original page had Graig stating that this predicament of him being in such danger so close to camp was 'ironic' which I editorialized because it IS NOT ironic, thank you very much!, or It's all Greek to me, Quanah

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Goony

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Golden Tail, aka: Moomin becomes an Influencer

Heed Snufkin Moomin, he got burned running a thirst trap account, and realized that people are far more interested in the fact that you're popular, than that you're a person.
(Also he had some extremely awkward encounters with people who couldn't separate their parasocial relationship from reality, like that time a lady cornered him in a diner and demanded he photograph her.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 13, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Brenda Starr, 8/2/69 (nice)

A bit startling to see how Messick's art had deteriorated from the 1940s.... but then, she was 63 at that point. And still better than late-stage Frank Bolle!

Peeyu! 2/25-27/43

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 27, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 14, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 25, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 2, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 3, 1935)

Mopsy (February 1, 1937)

Dark Laughter (September 8, 1945)

"They must'a got Old Bootsie's laundry mixed up with the Wac's!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Army_Corps

Those Were the Days (April 30, 1953)

Wee Pals (August 21, 1965)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 9, 1933)

Peanuts (May 16, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 13, 1937)

Out Our Way (August 10-12, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (August 6-8, 1917)

Dok's "Working His Way Down The List" Duck (August 8, 1913)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kind of want to see postwar Everett True coming home from work to find seventeen different victims of shell shock waiting on his porch with tire irons, purposeful intent, and big warm welcoming smiles.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (July 14, 1918)

You can be declared unfit for duty with flat feet and still dance if you feel like it.

Drakyn posted:

Kind of want to see postwar Everett True coming home from work to find seventeen different victims of shell shock waiting on his porch with tire irons, purposeful intent, and big warm welcoming smiles.

He walks through the ghosts of the men he sent to their deaths in Europe unawares of their haunting. Dies old and angry a decade or two later.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (September 8, 1945)

"They must'a got Old Bootsie's laundry mixed up with the Wac's!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Army_Corps

he rocks it :allears:

Drakyn posted:

that'd be great.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

You can be declared unfit for duty with flat feet and still dance if you feel like it.

I think it was more that he was dancing with the girlfriend of a soldier.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

I appreciate this. Right after I got my second COVID shot, while still hanging out for the 15 minute observation time, I actually got really light-headed. It wasn't because of the actual shot, but because after a year of always wondering if I was about to get sick and having to potentially expose myself to it on the regular (high-five to all my fellow essentials here in the comics thread!), I was finally getting some degree of protection. It was a bit overwhelming, in that moment, but in a good way.

Go for it, Jeremy. Waiting in uncertainty at the hospital is awful. Any distraction is welcome. God speed.

Classic Zits

All three of these are adorable IMO

That middle one warms my heart :3: Jeremy is a good boy.

Oh, ew. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Slammy posted:

Banana Oil! (April 25, 1924)

"Blankety-Blank mother fucker!!!"

Old School Peanuts (Sep 21, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 5-6, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 14, 2021