Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

HS grades really don’t matter if you do junior college. That said, if you test well, and being a veteran, your chances are much better than someone else going straight into a four-year. But, community college is always a good option.

I’d consider both options, but the last post isn’t a bad idea either. GI bill is a bit of a waste on community college—but some folks do need the BAH. You can draw unemployment when you get out for about six months (state depending?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cubivore posted:

Hi goons, I'm a lot closer to getting out so I'd like to ask some advice:

I'm looking to go to school once I'm out, for computer science or software engineering probably. But I did pretty badly in high school, like, my GPA was a 2.6, 2.7. Something like that.

Should I try to go to a community college first or will that be fine getting me into a school? I'm not trying to go to the Ivies here, but I don't know much anything about higher education.

As mentioned, a lot of schools will give you some wiggle room if you do well on your application and any kind of writing sample they want, due to military service. Basically, you're probably not the same lazy teenager you were, like many other people applying. In that regard, apply to whatever school you want. To take that point further, the worst thing that can happen is they say no...so don't apply to just one school if you're not sure how it'll turn out. There's no reason NOT to apply to a university or two that you're interested in AND a community college to cover your bases, except that it costs a few bucks to submit the paperwork. So it comes down to whether you're nervous enough to spend the $75 or so. I'd say you're probably fine, but maybe have a backup school.

Another consideration is what your educational goals are, or MIGHT be. If you're confident you're only getting a BS/BA, burn that GI Bill. If you might go back for a masters or beyond, especially if you're looking into career options where a grad degree (including MBA or similar) are common or helpful for promotion/resume writing, you might consider paying for a couple of semesters of community college out of pocket and saving some of the GI Bill for later. As long as the credits transfer to the school you intend to graduate from, nobody gives a poo poo or will ever even know. I wish I'd been smart enough to start at CC when I first started school, but I felt like there was some kind of stigma attached...I was wrong and paid a bunch of unnecessary money as a result.

Assuming you qualify for it at all, your GI Bill won't expire (unlike mine :( ). A year (which I assume is fall+spring semester, not including summer) averages about $3500 for community college. If you use the GI Bill later spending that now will save you a fuckton of money later, whether you use it on grad school or even just to finish this undergrad program at a full university. The trick is that you have to actually use it. For undergrad, if you start at the university right away and use the GI Bill, it may not cover the full duration of your program and you have to pick up the tab at the end, at full university price. If you spend a year (or whatever, you need to do that math and look at the calendar) at CC out of pocket, you can transfer to the university and fire up the GIB and ensure that you paid for the cheapest part and Uncle Sam is picking up the more expensive tuition through the rest of your schooling.

I've got a couple of years left before I need to start using what I've got left on mine, but it's been a challenge to find a program I'm interested in. But I'll be damned if I'm going to leave that much money on the table and let it expire.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 5, 2021

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

cubivore posted:

Hi goons, I'm a lot closer to getting out so I'd like to ask some advice:

I'm looking to go to school once I'm out, for computer science or software engineering probably. But I did pretty badly in high school, like, my GPA was a 2.6, 2.7. Something like that.

Should I try to go to a community college first or will that be fine getting me into a school? I'm not trying to go to the Ivies here, but I don't know much anything about higher education.

Anecdotal but I applied to Ohio State with a 1.6 high school GPA and a 4-year-old 29 ACT composite. They let me in undeclared, but I couldn't afford living expenses. So, I applied to three other state schools (and got accepted into all of them), went for 3 semesters at the one closest to family so I had a place to stay, and knocked out most of my geneds and held a 4.0 starting their CS program. As soon as I got aid eligibility I reapplied to OSU, got accepted and transferred, and got into my CIS major 2 semesters later (some stuff didn't transfer, be careful of that.. if you have a school in mind, a lot of them partner with the local community college to provide better transfer of credit).

Schools want GI Bill money. Write in your application about your experiences and how you've matured from high school and that you're excited to be challenged as a mature student. If you have a lot of geneds to do still keep in mind that basically every big-school CS/CSE/CSEE program I've seen is packed-full and realistically are 5 year programs if you're starting with college algebra or below.. They're like 4 years if you start with calculus your first semester and are doing 16-18 CH every semester. You can CLEP a lot of stuff like that, but if you're not decided on what school you want then absolutely do junior college for those geneds; they'll be easier because of smaller class sizes and lecturers that give a poo poo.

Also, SIGN UP FOR FAFSA. DO IT. Regardless of your age your veteran status will allow you to be considered financially independent (no parent income if that's a factor for you). When it comes back and says you have a high EFC (based on your taxes where you were making AD money), file an adjustment request with whatever school you end up with. You will claim loss of wages because you came off active duty, and suddenly you'll get a full Pell grant + other state etc aid. If you do this right you'll be making legitimately pretty good money to go to school combined with your GI bill, you won't need to work or worry about paying rent or a car payment. Also find your school's scholarship application and figure out the dates and get that done asap. Generally they're made available in the early Spring for Fall semester. I did mine thinking I'd get nothing and got a scholarship that pays as much as a full Pell grant every semester.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo!

“The Va” posted:

Dear Student,

Effective April 1, 2021, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will no longer count the use of Veterans Readiness & Employment (VR&E) benefits (chapter 31) against the 48-month limit on GI Bill education benefits such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The use of GI Bill education benefits will continue to count against the 48-month limit on VR&E benefits.

VA has started to process impacted claims and enrollments with this update, and you will receive a notification letter outlining whether you have more GI Bill entitlement available.

If you have any questions due to this issue, please contact the Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551, Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Central Time. You can also find more information on our website at: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

Respectfully,
Education Service

That’s big news.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Interesting, my Post 9/11 months remaining never went down after I switched to Voc Rehab. Curious if that'll apply to me or if they'll retroactively dock my Post 9/11 for the VRE stuff whenever I get around to using it again.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm starting the process for voc rehab and I have my my initial VRE appointment on the 29th. Any advice?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

McNally posted:

I'm starting the process for voc rehab and I have my my initial VRE appointment on the 29th. Any advice?

Mine was a group thing where we watched a dumb poo poo video then met with the counsellor.

Have your paperwork together and you'll be done with that pretty quickly.

Most people will not have it done.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

It was pretty straight forward when I did it. My counselor had me get some job postings to show that what I was trying to do was viable.

Other than that it was just a bunch of filling out paperwork and discussion about what I needed to be successful. I ended up getting a laptop and a bunch of school supplies + an extension on my GI Bill time to cover all of lawschool

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
VA changed their systems, and I have to go in for a reval, even though my claim is still in the "Getting ready to mail" stage for the last month. Anyone know if this is a reset on existing claims, or if it's just an across the board "we want more info?"

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Has anyone used the GI Bill apprenticeship program? I had no idea about it but apparently my job qualifies. If I have a 12 month apprenticeship, will the VA only charge me 12 months of my GI Bill?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hey goons, I've been out since 2012 but am currently looking for jobs locally, particularly any federal jobs, but barring that, considering looking for jobs that will match my experience in the Army. To this end, is anyone else here an aircraft mechanic, particularly rotary wing? If not rotary wing, I'm mainly wondering about how to get my aircraft maintenance logged hours in order to get my airframe and powerplant certificate. Like an idiot I didn't get this when I had the easy path to it while still in, so now have some more hoops to jump through than I would have otherwise, that being showing experience so that I can just go take the exams rather than go through classes.

If anyone can shed some light on this that'd be awesome--I don't know the level of information and/or supporting documentation I need to provide to anyone at the FAA to get the ball rolling on this, but I do know that most aircraft maintenance jobs in my area are definitely requiring an A&P certificate to be considered for hiring.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

life is killing me posted:

Hey goons, I've been out since 2012 but am currently looking for jobs locally, particularly any federal jobs, but barring that, considering looking for jobs that will match my experience in the Army. To this end, is anyone else here an aircraft mechanic, particularly rotary wing? If not rotary wing, I'm mainly wondering about how to get my aircraft maintenance logged hours in order to get my airframe and powerplant certificate. Like an idiot I didn't get this when I had the easy path to it while still in, so now have some more hoops to jump through than I would have otherwise, that being showing experience so that I can just go take the exams rather than go through classes.

If anyone can shed some light on this that'd be awesome--I don't know the level of information and/or supporting documentation I need to provide to anyone at the FAA to get the ball rolling on this, but I do know that most aircraft maintenance jobs in my area are definitely requiring an A&P certificate to be considered for hiring.

Getting a federal job can take a while. (Took me 9 months after interview to get seated and start getting paid.)

Have you looked at gov contractors? If you have a clearance and related experience it's quick to get hired and you can start networking with the gov folks that you work with. Then once an opening pops up you can get internally shoehorned in.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

Getting a federal job can take a while. (Took me 9 months after interview to get seated and start getting paid.)

Have you looked at gov contractors? If you have a clearance and related experience it's quick to get hired and you can start networking with the gov folks that you work with. Then once an opening pops up you can get internally shoehorned in.

I am looking at all avenues, and recently have started to again entertain the possibility of going with a contractor. I have the aircraft maintenance and flight line experience, just need to know how exactly they want me to prove it and/or how I get access to military aircraft logbook records showing my work hours under my PID.

Right now I know no fewer than ten people who work at Lockheed and we live like a 15 minute commute from their assembly facility in North Texas. I wouldn’t hate to get in their assembly hangar somewhere but most of the aviation maintenance jobs around here do require an A&P certificate, so it might be time for me to get the ball rolling on figuring out what the FAA needs from me so I don’t have to spend $20k on schooling for something in which I have years of experience.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Why would you spend the money when post-9/11 covers trade schools? I realize you don't want to waste the time, but the GI Bill will cover the expenses, and if you have a disability rating, you could always apply for voc rehab.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Anyone have experience using the VRRAP? I applied because my seasonal job ended and I thought I might as well get a certificate in something while I job hunt. I was approved nearly immediately and noticed a few things in the email I wanted to clear up.

"Employment must be secured in the field in which you were trained within 180 days from the successful completion or withdrawal date of the program. It is the responsibility of both you and your training provider to confirm your employment status to the VA, before the final payment can be issued. VA may request additional supporting evidence to substantiate employment including an offer letter, pay stub, promotion offer, note from manager, or marketing material showing expansion in scope or level of services for veteran owned businesses. Paid internships, paid apprenticeships, and contract employment are included as employment."

I have a degree in accounting and signed up for certificate in Network Security. (actually, I do not remember exactly which certificate I signed up for, and the email doesn't mention any in particular. I remember choosing a particular school and cert at the time) does this mean I will have to pay back the training cost if I happen to stumble into a good accounting position?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well I did end up getting my authorization to take the airframe and power plant exams. Yesterday the FSDO guy quizzed me on the phone and asked for my DD214, had me fill out the 8610-2, and this morning I had his authorization in my email on the form.

Still may go take some courses with my GI bill because I haven’t been in aviation for almost a decade and even then it was just rotary wing so I don’t know enough to be able to just pass those exams blind

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

I'll be retiring from the Air Force in a few months. Anyone have any hints? I don't know why medical and all the ins and outs are a drat mystery. It's like no one has ever retired before. I'm not really surprised, it's just frustrating. And COVID makes it difficult to actually talk to someone about these things.

Any advice as far as how TRICARE vs VA works and Dental/Vision stuff?

BULLETKISS fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 13, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BULLETKISS posted:

I'll be retiring from the Air Force in a few months. Anyone have any hints? I don't know why medical and all the ins and outs are a drat mystery. It's like no one has ever retired before. I'm not really surprised, it's just frustrating. And COVID makes it difficult to actually talk to someone about these things.

I just retired from the Marine Corps in January. I can give you pointers if you like. Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

BULLETKISS posted:

Did you go through TAPS? They covered a lot there, but I believe the quality of the program varies from base to base. Medical retired from the AF last July so I could probably help answer any questions you have as well.

Regarding medical, you can use both. Enroll at the VA then you can either go to the VA (for service connected disabilities only unless 100% rated) for free or use TRICARE elsewhere with copays. VA also pays travel allowance for appts at their location. It's going to be up to convenience/comfort for you, but I personally use TRICARE for my specialty care since I can go to what I feel are better clinics(and closer) without waiting 60+ days for an appt, and then have my VA PCM/team fill prescriptions since it's free there.

TRICARE doesn't cover dental (but offers a federal dental plan your can sign up for), and VA only covers dental for a 100% rating or a dental related rating.

Edit: missed vision. TRICARE Prime covers routine eye exams once every two years, Select does not cover at all. VA offers routine exe exam and a set of glasses , but I don't remember if it's per year or two years.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 14, 2021

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Don't be me and wait to file for VA 18 years after you get out.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Don't be me and wait to file for VA 18 years after you get out.

This. Of I could go go back in time I would have documented everything and went to the VA as soon as I ETS'd.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

PageMaster posted:

Did you go through TAPS? They covered a lot there, but I believe the quality of the program varies from base to base. Medical retired from the AF last July so I could probably help answer any questions you have as well.

Regarding medical, you can use both. Enroll at the VA then you can either go to the VA (for service connected disabilities only unless 100% rated) for free or use TRICARE elsewhere with copays. VA also pays travel allowance for appts at their location. It's going to be up to convenience/comfort for you, but I personally use TRICARE for my specialty care since I can go to what I feel are better clinics(and closer) without waiting 60+ days for an appt, and then have my VA PCM/team fill prescriptions since it's free there.

TRICARE doesn't cover dental (but offers a federal dental plan your can sign up for), and VA only covers dental for a 100% rating or a dental related rating.

Edit: missed vision. TRICARE Prime covers routine eye exams once every two years, Select does not cover at all. VA offers routine exe exam and a set of glasses , but I don't remember if it's per year or two years.

Thank you. TAPS was purely online CBT (with some Zoom stuff about resumes) and the medical stuff only scratched the surface. I haven't had my VA appts yet (not within 180 days yet), but I'll pick the VA reps' brain.

Most of the info I've gotten was from folks I know that retired recently, but even they said they had to find out info like I am.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Get with a VSO or the county vets office to file the paperwork of intent to file now. They'll date it for your discharge date. Your benefits will then get paid retro to that date.

I filed with my county's vet office and it went pretty good considering my time delay.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

BULLETKISS posted:

Thank you. TAPS was purely online CBT (with some Zoom stuff about resumes) and the medical stuff only scratched the surface. I haven't had my VA appts yet (not within 180 days yet), but I'll pick the VA reps' brain.

Most of the info I've gotten was from folks I know that retired recently, but even they said they had to find out info like I am.

I forgot about COVID changes, that definitely makes TAPS much less useful. Most of your time is probably going to be spent on your VA claims and figuring out how to maximize that since the DoD stuff is a lot of admin box checking; other poster already pointed you in the right direction there, but if you don't mind digging, the actual VA scoring metrics are online to help you on your C&P exams (definitely do this), and claim everything possible. Your VSO should help with this (mine asked if I ever had acne or dry skin in my life so he could add it). Only other considerations I can remember when we were at that stage was deciding to sell leave or take terminal (never sell leave), and planning retirement PCS. If you're staying where you are nothing applies, but if you're moving you can plan in a PCS mileage per diem for that last drive, and you have some options for HHG/NTS if you want to try and wait the housing market out in the hopes it stops being crazy.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 14, 2021

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I think P Hekk has more to offer, but I wish I had documented every single thing wrong with my body on my separation physical. I was applying for my USG job at the time and stupidly thought they'd hold that against me in my hiring. Fast forward and I can't claim knee stuff from standing watches on hard decks for years because it wasn't documented. Claim snoring, sleep issues, everything you have problems or think may become an issue.

My VSO suggested I put in for PTSD once I'm out of a clearance holding job since I cant ever sit with my back to the door, but that's a line I'm not crossing given my war free service.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Can confirm, I failed to document things I could’ve gotten a disability rating for (my back, my legs, tinnitus) and now it’s too late. poo poo I don’t even get VA care anymore because my 5 years is up, not that I would ever have gone to the VA because of the wait

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The VA will still take care of you after your 2 or 5 year window. They'll just bill you for it.

My brother had to start using the VA a few years ago because he was flatter than Miley Cyrus' rear end broke and needed diabetic medication. Despite not deploying, and his 2 year window closing a decade prior, they still took him on. He just gets a very scaled down bill compared to anything insurance would give him.

But it's still the VA and if you have employer provided health insurance you're still leaps and bounds ahead of waiting 3 months for an appointment with a doctor that will forget your face a minute after you walk out the door because they're so overworked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The separation physical is not a physical. It's a medical interview to review your history. Tell them about everything wrong over your entire career.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Godholio posted:

The separation physical is not a physical. It's a medical interview to review your history. Tell them about everything wrong over your entire career.

Wrong with your body. It would be ten times as long if you had to go over everything wrong.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Thank you all so much for the replies/PM! It's been a hell of a week so I need to reread and takes notes this weekend once I've had a chance to unwind.

Didn't want the effort to go unappreciated! Will def post questions as I have them.

BULLETKISS fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 15, 2021

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

BULLETKISS posted:

Thank you all so much for the replies/PM! It's been a hell of a week so I need to reread and takes notes this weekend once I've had a chance to unwind.

Didn't want the effort to go unappreciated! Will def post questions as I have them.

Having just gone through this. There's definitely stuff I didn't even think of until I talked to the VA rep. See if you can get a list from him. For me the surprising stuff was allergies, a doctor wrote I had a deviated septum in my records once, so I claimed that and razor bumps. Then there's all the obvious stuff like tinnitus and sleeping issues.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I could use a little advice for VA disability rating stuff.
I applied for IBS since I haven't had a solid poo poo since Obama was president, am gulf war vet, and have PTSD.
I had a doctors "exam" over the phone, then the VA scheduled an exam with QTC.
I just got the letter today saying that "Service connection for IBS is granted but with an evaluation of 0 percent..."
I was thinking I will start a log of my terrible bowels are for like a month then appeal, but is there something else or more I should be doing?

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 19, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Appeal would be the right step, who are you using for your rep? DAV, VFW, etc?

If you aren't using a VSO for representation, that should be step one. I've used VFW and DAV in the past, both have been fine but I'd take DAV over VFW, personally. Pick one, call them up, ask them about the appeals process. You'll sign some papers and they'll get to work.

Keeping a descriptive log of your shits probably isn't a bad idea though. You might keep a food diary/log too, because they're going to ask about your diet anyhow.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
UP until now I've just been doing this stuff myself. I'll give DAV a call and see what they can do for me.
Thanks for the help!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No worries! VSOs are there for you to use at no expense, so use one where you can. They stay on top of the paperwork so you don't have to, and in the case of DAV, usually have an office in or near VA clinics and hospitals.

Membership is always optional with the VSOs, but not required. If you feel like they've done you some good after the process, consider throwing them a bone. DAV isn't hurting as bad as VFW, but they're not going to turn down donations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I could use a little advice for VA disability rating stuff.
I applied for IBS since I haven't had a solid poo poo since Obama was president, am gulf war vet, and have PTSD.
I had a doctors "exam" over the phone, then the VA scheduled an exam with QTC.
I just got the letter today saying that "Service connection for IBS is granted but with an evaluation of 0 percent..."
I was thinking I will start a log of my terrible bowels are for like a month then appeal, but is there something else or more I should be doing?

Frequency of "diarrhea and constipation" is half of the schedule rating (with those two words specifically on it), so poop log will help. Other half is severity of abdominal distress so track how bad any stomache cramps are, and take a good look at how your IBS affects your day to day activities. Simple stuff you might not think about but like if you plan around meals because they cramp your stomache and you have to run to the crapper, or thinking about having a bathroom close by just in case help explain the severity piece to the VA.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 20, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Any of you goon veterans have any experience with disability ratings? Specifically, anyone who didn’t apply for it and get all medical situations documented at the separation medical visit, did you do it later or is this possible? I never really got things documented but my back is poo poo and I have had tinnitus since before my ETS, and I figured back in 2012 I’d just deal with it (especially since I got only five years of free VA care), but now I’m thinking it might not hurt to see if I can get a disability rating.

edit: I will probably try to use a VSO rep to help out with this, because I have no idea if I’m eligible. Honorable discharge, have some medical docs I downloaded from e-benefits that could support some things, but unsure what to think otherwise. The VA website says I must have a disability rating for my service-connected condition in order to be eligible to apply for benefits which…how would I have that already?

In related: Using my GI bill benefits to take the airframe and power plant exams (well, to be reimbursed for them). I’m hoping to have my FAA certification by mid-next month if all goes well. I had no idea until I started a prep course that I could submit for exam reimbursement, but it would have been awesome if they paid for the prep course itself also.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 11, 2021

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

life is killing me posted:

Any of you goon veterans have any experience with disability ratings? Specifically, anyone who didn’t apply for it and get all medical situations documented at the separation medical visit, did you do it later or is this possible? I never really got things documented but my back is poo poo and I have had tinnitus since before my ETS, and I figured back in 2012 I’d just deal with it (especially since I got only five years of free VA care), but now I’m thinking it might not hurt to see if I can get a disability rating.

It is never too late to file. Definitely use a VSO for your initial claim, but be aware that some VSOs are better than others. It varies by area. Initial claims seem to be being processed quickly right now, and buddy statements can help you a lot if your records are vague or missing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

MonkeyWash posted:

It is never too late to file. Definitely use a VSO for your initial claim, but be aware that some VSOs are better than others. It varies by area. Initial claims seem to be being processed quickly right now, and buddy statements can help you a lot if your records are vague or missing.

Good to know thank you. When they say I must have a service-connected disability rating already in order to file, do they mean I have to have a condition I believe is service-connected? I’m unsure what the gently caress that means but it says on their website I have to have it to be eligible to file for some reason so I must be misinterpreting this because otherwise it makes no sense for someone filing and initial claim to have a rating already.

Should I call a VSO and get an opinion on what I should file for, before getting all my records together? I basically have my separation medical papers, perhaps they could get the others, but otherwise the tinnitus is something not on record with the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, call a rep and talk to them about filing after discharge. I suggest the DAV, they're not dealing with dwindling memberships and bad press as badly as AL or VFW, often have an office in the VA hospitals. Your county might have a veterans rep on staff as well.

You can request your military medical records but I don't know the process because I just killed a ream of paper and a bunch of toner in a copy machine in my last unit.