Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

swimsuit posted:

china mieville, fantasy author (bad) and trot (very bad) is writing a follow-up to his reasonable 1917 primer "october" that is named after this much benighted thread "a spectre haunting europe"

it appears to be his musings on the manifesto or something?? wizards?? due 2022

I started reading October but I gave up because it was really long and boring. And then he got metood but in a way that was really hard to care about. Okay bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

I’ve read the Communist Manifesto 69 times.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

and only became powerful because they brute forced slave laboured all their problems.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lumpentroll posted:

more like peter kropotkin

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

pener and i fought a lot when he was around and he also wrote wordy posts like ferrinus, but i feel solidarity with him as a gamer

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Yossarian-22 posted:

pener and i fought a lot when he was around and he also wrote wordy posts like ferrinus

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Yossarian-22 posted:

pener and i fought a lot when he was around and he also wrote wordy posts like ferrinus, but i feel solidarity with him as a gamer

They were a lot better than ferrinus's posts. Mostly because he didn't write 10 paragraphs saying absolutely nothing as a response to a trivial question.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
i read city and the city last summer while working a corona-job and it was alright. a very poor mans postmodern novel. Not a lot of communism in it though

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
oh no, not long posts about communism in the communism thread

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Dustcat posted:

it wasn't a hair's breath, there was quite a big gap to overcome this year, because trump was too lazy to walk with them, but it was a possibility even then

and 2024 is gonna be fun times, hope y'all have your bugout bags ready who will need them

ur so thick light bends around you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
dm me

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

:wink:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge posted:

oh no, not long posts about communism in the communism thread

They weren't about communism they were liberal bullshit dressed up in 5 paragraphs of nothing words in response to poo poo like 'hey why do people not like AFL-CIO'

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’ll never forget the day I came

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

ive been reading Bertell Ollman's book Dance of the Dialectic, it is very interesting, and has definitely helped me think about the world in a more consistent and correct way. i recommend it, to everyone.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

e-dt posted:

ive been reading Bertell Ollman's book Dance of the Dialectic, it is very interesting, and has definitely helped me think about the world in a more consistent and correct way. i recommend it, to everyone.

I feel like I'm being trolled because I read through that excerpt three times and it's absolute gibberish

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some plague rats posted:

I feel like I'm being trolled because I read through that excerpt three times and it's absolute gibberish

People confuse material dialectics for philosophy since Marx beat up Hegel and stole some ideas from him.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

some plague rats posted:

you see the original post was a thesis, and ur post was an antithesis...this is the essence of the dialectic

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

e-dt posted:

i think my favorite work on dialectics is still just On Contradiction, but i want more on idealism vs. dialectics as they relate to racial ideology and criminal law specifically. iirc there's literally a book called The Dialectical Biologist out there but i haven't read it yet

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ferrinus posted:

i think my favorite work on dialectics is still just On Contradiction, but i want more on idealism vs. dialectics as they relate to racial ideology and criminal law specifically. iirc there's literally a book called The Dialectical Biologist out there but i haven't read it yet

https://youtu.be/V9O94UTDAJQ

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

at what point did you notice that the entirety of your output in this thread is about me

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Larry Parrish posted:

They weren't about communism they were liberal bullshit dressed up in 5 paragraphs of nothing words in response to poo poo like 'hey why do people not like AFL-CIO'

lol im not dumb enough to believe you give a poo poo about this

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Hodgepodge posted:

yes you are

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

lumpentroll posted:

yes you are

okay in principle i am dumb enough to believe that but do not in this case

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hodgepodge posted:

okay in principle i am dumb enough to believe that but do not in this case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

some plague rats posted:

tldr: dialectics allows you to examine and describe things in more ways than what color it is or how much it weighs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge posted:

I do care that liberals keep making GBS threads up the marxism forum actually.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tldr: dialectics allows you to examine and describe things in more ways than what color it is or how much it weighs

So then dialectics is just a thing everyone does already but philosophers made up a word for it to make themselves seem important?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

larry and ferrinus are both cia plants who are trying to divert us from talking about communism to arguing about r-word. i am a jewish person with generalized anxiety disorder and asperger's and i have my ways of knowing these things, and this is unapologetically my truth

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Larry Parrish posted:

I do care that liberals keep making GBS threads up the marxism forum actually.

well i do believe you care about calling people liberals

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lostconfused posted:

So then dialectics is just a thing everyone does already but philosophers made up a word for it to make themselves seem important?

welcome to philosophy

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Wells looked out the darkened window. I know where the satchel is, he said.

If you knew where the satchel was you would have it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

well i do believe you care about calling people liberals

because it's a way to imitate me, the object of his obsession

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

go back to talking about the first 100 pages of Capital, thread

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

KidDynamite posted:

go back to talking about the first 100 pages of Capital, thread
im thinking about thos coats

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lostconfused posted:

there's a reason people think philosophy degrees are a joke

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

the beginning of capital can be confusing because marx tells you that "1 wool coat = 20 yards of linen" is a different statement than "20 yards of linen = 1 wool coat". in a footnote he mentions that he's using the equal sign to represent the statement "is worth" or "costs", but if you don't notice that and think he's just doing algebra it's very strange

there's also a bit in chapters 16-18 in which he just spends paragraphs and paragraphs explaining that changes in absolute magnitude can differ from changes in proportion. basically marx wasn't great shakes at math and so had to resort to really baroque explanations to make sure everyone got what he was talking about

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

dialectics is very much not a thing everybody does. most people are idealists

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
the dierectic is when two men j/o together and its totally manly and straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yossarian-22 posted:

larry and ferrinus are both cia plants who are trying to divert us from talking about communism to arguing about r-word. i am a jewish person with generalized anxiety disorder and asperger's and i have my ways of knowing these things, and this is unapologetically my truth

Just because they are DMing each other gluten free recipes doesn’t make them plants.