Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Thom12255 posted:

New Zealand trick worked for ME.

Whoa. Thanks for the heads up. That makes the rest of my day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

tensai posted:

Whoa. Thanks for the heads up. That makes the rest of my day!

What's all this then?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tsietisin posted:

I thought this was a thing for everyone to take part. I've got it on mine.

I just need to find the easy achievement games that I've not already done.

They usually are, but they updated the True Achievements article to mention that it seems like not everyone got this one.

booooo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Beastie posted:

What's all this then?

Change your system country to NZ and it unlocks games early sometimes.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

joylessdivision posted:

Change your system country to NZ and it unlocks games early sometimes.

Worked immediately. However, changing it back to the US relocks it. So just stick with NZ for the day or so.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Some dude on reddit posted:

I’d like to praise EA a bit here for including a 2nd disc in the console versions for people without great online connections.

For those who don’t know, Disc 1 is the “play disc” and contains only ME1. Putting in the disc gives you an option on the menu to download the other 2 games in the form of patches. However you also get a 2nd disc called the “data disc” which contains the data for ME2 and 3 that you can install those games from if you choose to go completely offline.

We’ve seen this done before in games like TLOU2 and RDR2, but we’ve never gotten the option for BOTH offline and online installs before on console as far as I’m aware.

That's really cool

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno if I can wait a year to play ME again.

Does anyone know if it will work with xcloud?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Does anyone know if it will work with xcloud?

The only games available for streaming are select games on Game Pass.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You know this is sort of petty but I wish Microsoft would do something to make the icons for their generic services and systems apps a little less... Fisher Price and nicer looking on a big 4k display. Used the rewards app today and that icon is real special.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love me some ME.

Might be my favorite game franchise (except the ending of 3)

Zerot posted:

The only games available for streaming are select games on Game Pass.

Oh balls! Oh well.

I was kinda wanting to get it and be able to play it on my pc too.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Oh, Mass Effect Legendary is technically flagged as a Series game due to the 120fps support (although there are 120fps games that aren't flagged this way) so you'll be required to install it internally.

I'm running it right now off a USB drive, so it doesn't need to be on the Series X|S high-speed storage.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

I'm running it right now off a USB drive, so it doesn't need to be on the Series X|S high-speed storage.

Oh good. Does it have that X|S logo on its dashboard icon?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does that mean it can take advantage of faster loading speeds?

All games should load faster by default given the speed of the NVMe Vs previous generation HDDs,, but to my knowledge no game currently uses the Velocity Architecture, which is the software special sauce that blows the horns off some hardware limitations Vs the PS5 NVMe.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So is there a good explanation for what the "two arrows" icon that can show up on games means?

It seems to only show on Series X|S enhanced games which are installed to a USB external. I thought that it meant that a game would be required to be copied to the internal to be playable, but this doesn't appear to be the case for all games where this arrow appears and is X|S enhanced, for example Rocket League shows this icon but still works from an external. Is it just a suggestion in that case? Is there some pronounced disadvantage to loading a game like this from the external, like it'll revert to the XB1 version, or can you just do this and be fine as long as the longer load times are fine with you? Is there some way to tell if a game will launch from an external or not short of trying to launch it?

VV Thanks. What I'm talking about in this post is why I was confused by this.

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 13, 2021

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Oh good. Does it have that X|S logo on its dashboard icon?

It is listed as being Series X|S optimized in Games and Apps.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It means look both ways before crossing

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing Mass Effect now and goddamn I love the lack of region locking on the Series X and how easy it is to go back and forth.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm kind of apprehensive about Dark Alliance because the last time I got excited about a DnD video game was Dagerdale.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

univbee posted:

So is there a good explanation for what the "two arrows" icon that can show up on games means?

It seems to only show on Series X|S enhanced games which are installed to a USB external. I thought that it meant that a game would be required to be copied to the internal to be playable, but this doesn't appear to be the case for all games where this arrow appears and is X|S enhanced, for example Rocket League shows this icon but still works from an external. Is it just a suggestion in that case? Is there some pronounced disadvantage to loading a game like this from the external, like it'll revert to the XB1 version, or can you just do this and be fine as long as the longer load times are fine with you? Is there some way to tell if a game will launch from an external or not short of trying to launch it?

VV Thanks. What I'm talking about in this post is why I was confused by this.

The X|S means the game is in some way optimised, the arrows are a warning that the game is currently installed on an external drive and needs not to be.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lammasu posted:

I'm kind of apprehensive about Dark Alliance because the last time I got excited about a DnD video game was Dagerdale.

The combat looked a little stiff to me in the last trailer. I read the first Drizzt book last year because I started playing DND in the forgotten realms setting and given the way his combat and magical abilities are described it's baffling no one's made a character action game in which Drizzt is just Dante with the serial numbers filed off.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The X|S means the game is in some way optimised, the arrows are a warning that the game is currently installed on an external drive and needs not to be.
Yeah, I'm assuming that if a game still loads off USB with this icon then it's falling back to the One version and you're not seeing any of the Series enhancements.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m sure I’m just missing it but is there a way to mute the audio going to my surround sound when headphones are plugged into the controller? The ps5 does it automatically which is nice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

I’m sure I’m just missing it but is there a way to mute the audio going to my surround sound when headphones are plugged into the controller? The ps5 does it automatically which is nice.

You can go into settings ---> HDMI audio ---> set to 'off' while using headphones unless you're using optical in tyool 2021 for some reason. I'd been doing that when using my Xbox wireless headphones recently but honestly it's a lot easier to just hit the mute button on the sound bar remote, and I imagine you might have a similar experience with your system depending on your audio setup.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like they just added a tribute to the OG Xbox dashboard backdrop as a profile theme and dynamic backdrop, too.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1392240418016878592

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah I've been using that OG theme for the last week.

Wish it changed the layout or text to that 2001 fat minamlist style

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Yeah, I'm assuming that if a game still loads off USB with this icon then it's falling back to the One version and you're not seeing any of the Series enhancements.

If that were the case it would apply to all Smart Delivery games.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
In my experience, when the arrows appear in the corner of the icon it means it is a native Series X|S game in cold storage on the external hard drive. I haven't seen an instance where it would let me play it from there.

Some games are flagged as being optimized for Series X|S but can be played from external hard drives. I think this is because developers flag the game as being optimized but whether it's a native Series X|S game is based on SDK or compiling or something something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's if the game requires the fast storage. That's it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Laserface posted:

It's if the game requires the fast storage. That's it.

Some games with this icon launch without fast storage, though.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Some games with this icon launch without fast storage, though.

What games has this happened for you? I'll test it on my end.

Make sure that you don't have two copies of the game installed in two different storage devices.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So it seems like the icon did eventually go away, I think it required a launch from external. But it was showing for me on Rocket League and Star Wars Squadrons, for example.

I did find an elaborate way to check, though.

If you go into a game's file info and get the mess of data, on the 4th line near the beginning it says "Gen:" and if what follows is "Durango" it's technically an XB1 game that'll run off an external even if it says X|S on the game's icon. If it says "Scarlett" then it has to be on the internal to work.

Note that there are a bunch of games that have X|S benefits but don't have the X|S logo on them, like Cyberpunk and Cyber Shadow, as well as all the framerate-boosted games. loving hell, what a confusing mess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

loving hell, what a confusing mess.

Better than the PS4/PS5 stuff tbh

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1393181830149558276?s=20

Only a few games are supported at this time, though. I wonder how much support this feature will get.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So how is the new ME release?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zerot posted:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1393181830149558276?s=20

Only a few games are supported at this time, though. I wonder how much support this feature will get.

This is only for compatible tvs right? I don't really know anything about Atmos vision.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MarcusSA posted:

So how is the new ME release?

I've gotten as far as recruiting Liara, and I've run into two bugs now. At one point on Therum the Mako's wheels got stuck in the ground, and when I got out to try and fix it, my character was stuck facing in one direction. I could swing the camera around but Shep kept staring forward, and left stick movement was all relative to that. I couldn't save since there were still a few geth armatures out in the distance, so I had to reload and lose a few minutes.

The second bug happened again inside the mine, although a save and reload was able to fix it

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

How is Resident Evil Village and RE7?

I'm really interested in Village because it looks fun from the video reviews I've seen and has really strong Bloodborne vibes from the aesthetic which is appealing, it seems as if someone really expanded on the Cainhurst area and made it first person.

Since there's a bundle of that with RE7 (and all the DLC) I was thinking about grabbing that but feel iffy about RE7 since I've heard so many conflicting things. On one hand unkillable enemies doesn't seem so bad since Alien Isolation owns and it seems like a more varied version of that with a True Detective S1 aesthetic? Maybe mixed with Devil's Rejects?

Also, am I right in thinking buying Village gets me the Series version as well? So whenever I can finally buy a Series X the game will update to the newest gen version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

404notfound posted:

I've gotten as far as recruiting Liara, and I've run into two bugs now. At one point on Therum the Mako's wheels got stuck in the ground, and when I got out to try and fix it, my character was stuck facing in one direction. I could swing the camera around but Shep kept staring forward, and left stick movement was all relative to that. I couldn't save since there were still a few geth armatures out in the distance, so I had to reload and lose a few minutes.

The second bug happened again inside the mine, although a save and reload was able to fix it

So what you are saying is it’s a pretty authentic ME experience?

I’m probably just gonna hold off anyway and decide between the PC and Xbox versions.