Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also keep in mind that only 42.5% of adults in the US are fully vaxxed so if you're at an indoor venue or a very crowded outdoor venue you should expect to see almost 2/3 of the adults and nearly 100% of the children over 2 still wearing masks.

I mean, sure, if they represented the population perfectly. But vaccinated people would probably be more likely to go to the venues in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Meanwhile the UK is going in the other direction
https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1392947865035681796

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s our boy Whitty if you were wondering

Right now they are surge vaccinating everyone over the age of 18 and doing second shots after 2 weeks instead of 11 in the areas with a high number of Indian variant cases.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm not overly concerned about the 'Indian' variant: throughout this crisis, the press has switched to fretting about the impact of some new variant every time there's a quiet news day on the Covid front.

If it was vaccine resistant than yes, that would be more of a problem but as the scientific consensus seems to be: "No, it probably isn't.", again, I'm not too fussed.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Yeah, I mean, if Indian variant is vaccine resistant or mutated due to squat racks in the gyms, I'd be more :ohdear: but I'll keep licking lamppost.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Covid's a virus: there's always going to be new variants. There's no going back to square one: the absolute worst case here is that we have to tweak an existing vaccine to deal with it; it's a speed bump not a road block. Sure, monitor it carefully as this is a new virus that we're still learning to understand but I'm not seeing anything to immediately panic about here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The fact that they can surge vaccinate now is super awesome, it’s the exact thing which would have helped with the Kent variant.

Personally I don’t see mask off no social distancing as happening till September, always seemed like when they made the plans June was 8000 years away in plague time, and they were just setting an arbitrary date.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

Covid's a virus: there's always going to be new variants. There's no going back to square one: the absolute worst case here is that we have to tweak an existing vaccine to deal with it; it's a speed bump not a road block. Sure, monitor it carefully as this is a new virus that we're still learning to understand but I'm not seeing anything to immediately panic about here.

The reason it was so hosed at the start is because that was square one. The variants are different but they’re not so different that your body will have no idea what to do, so any prior exposure or vaccination will be a tremendous help.

Plus the mRNA vaccines are easy to modify so any later vaccines are going to be a much easier rollout now that the infrastructure is spun up.

Also COVID isn’t a virus, it’s the disease caused by a virus and I will never not die on this hill of pedantry

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Make evading a mask if not fully vaccinated a felony offense, and encourage people to rat out perps like they did with the Jan 6th nutters. Fun for everyone!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

If a variant escapes the vaccines how will local restrictions help? It’ll spread like wildfire. Soon every local area would need restrictions and it would just be a complete lockdown. Even Whitty is pretending he doesn’t understand exponential spread.

I guess people maybe using different meanings of ‘vaccine escape’

1) spreads unimpeded, severity still mitigated
2) just acts like you aren’t vaccinated

1 can be controlled somewhat, 2 is just March/April of 2020 again

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 14, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm not overly concerned about the 'Indian' variant

This, but the entire Wuhan coronavirus.

poo poo’s going to fizzle out like SARS, ebola, swine flu, zika.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Regarde Aduck posted:

If a variant escapes the vaccines how will local restrictions help? It’ll spread like wildfire. Soon every local area would need restrictions and it would just be a complete lockdown. Even Whitty is pretending he doesn’t understand exponential spread.

I guess people maybe using different meanings of ‘vaccine escape’

1) spreads unimpeded, severity still mitigated
2) just acts like you aren’t vaccinated

1 can be controlled somewhat, 2 is just March/April of 2020 again

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't understand how surge vaccinations will work, especially in this scenario.

If it's highly infectious and they decide to start surge vaccinating an area that has rapid case growth, the people being vaccinated still have weeks to wait until fully protected. In those weeks the virus is still in circulation, doing its thing and also spreading to other areas just like the Kent variant did.

If it's anything like the Kent variant they'll probably end up having to surge vaccinate the entire country in a few weeks.

But, rather than doing the sensible thing and delaying the loosening of lockdown restrictions for a few weeks to understand what's going on, let's tell people that as of next week they can go to pubs and meet up inside again.

UK government published 4 criteria which have to be met before proceeding to the next stage of easing restrictions, the fourth was that risks haven't changed by any new variants of concern in circulation.

But, guess we'll just ignore that now and move to stage 3 in monday, open up the pubs and tell people they can meet up again indoors just as a new variant of concern is starting to circulate of which no-one fully understand what the impact will be yet.

mr_jolly fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 14, 2021

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the statement, but that seems absolutely right to be guarded in light of mutations. We all need to be ready to mask up again regardless of vax status if this thing changes. Am I'm missing something? With THAT many people and THAT many possible vectors for mutation, it feels not just possible, but likely that this thing changes enough that even our jabs won't prevent it entirely. There's a billion-plus hosts to gestate something new inside.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Fully vaccinated persons are allowed to have naked heterosexual tickle fights with up to 3 friends

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

sweet thursday posted:

Fully vaccinated persons are allowed to have naked heterosexual tickle fights with up to 3 friends

poo poo, and after a year I was finally letting go of all them closeted feelings and just about to have a breakthrough. Welp, time to go scream unmasked at all them queers!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

sweet thursday posted:

Ugh you're saying I gotta wait like 13 weeks till I can get together with my straight buds, just a bunch of hetero guys hanging out, being straight and nude tickling each other while not even looking to see if each other is aroused because it's not even a sex thing it's just the boys hanging out?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah nah.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
62% of adults in the U.K. have had at least one dose and 35% are fully vaccinated; we are doing it by age so this figure is for people aged 35+, plus care workers, and the vulnerable were done first no matter the age.

It’s less of a free for all than the US approach and we don’t really have anti-vax crazies here so this is a wildly different scenario than what we would see if it were in MAGAville Utah.

Emergency vaccinating the under 35s and bringing second doses forward is what they mean by surge vaccinating.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is the two‐week interval between doses just for Pfizer’s vaccine or Oxford’s as well?

e: This is the only place I find a reference to two weeks:

quote:

Prof Hunter said there was "possibly" a case for targeting vaccines in certain areas - but jabs took two to three weeks to work. This would mean diverting doses from other areas, where the Indian variant could also soon be spreading.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57109660

Great timing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 14, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I should be excited about the lifting of mask mandates but

1) lol if you think this is gonna push anybody on the fence about getting vaccinated to get vaccinated
2) lol if you think CHUDs are gonna wear masks at all

So basically we're in a spot where the people who have been taking precautions and have gotten vaccinated are going to be able to do things again. And the CHUDs (who never stopped anyway) are going to keep doing what they're doing despite being 99.7% of the current covid hospitalizations.

I hate to be cynical and say "gently caress 'em, it's their own fault at this point" but that's really how I'm starting to feel right now. Just personally, my wife and I have done everything possible to try and get her parents vaccinated, short of administering the vaccine ourselves. They still refuse. What more can I do at this point?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There was definitely some waffle about bringing second doses forward but I don't think anyone has considered a two week period when the trials all had three. I think it's people getting confused by the first dose taking two weeks to really be effective.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
You know What? gently caress it thread lets all watch the idiots die

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

A Fancy Hat posted:

I hate to be cynical and say "gently caress 'em, it's their own fault at this point" but that's really how I'm starting to feel right now. Just personally, my wife and I have done everything possible to try and get her parents vaccinated, short of administering the vaccine ourselves. They still refuse. What more can I do at this point?

This is how I feel, the problem with this feeling is that they still comprise a significant amount of the population, and if/when they get infected, the potential to spread that infection to others, even people fully vaccinated, will always be there. Obviously as MORE people are vaccinated, that potential decreases, but right now, we're not at the point where it's a negligible concern.

But like you said, I have no idea how to get through to these people, and I'm starting to not even want to, despite "just giving up" being a bad idea.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I am going to make a special offer for the thread. I will personally, on a busy night like tonight, go to the bar scene at 11pm or so and conduct as many short in person interviews as I can on why they aren't getting vaxed (audio only)
My question is do we really want to know the answers why? its just going to be stupid inane poo poo

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 14, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I guess it’s not woke or whatever but I genuinely don’t care about anti-vaxxers getting hurt. I care more about them passing something to my post-transplant wife, but it’s looking like the closest we’ll get to something like a normal life will mean avoiding chud country, taking trips to places that require vaccination records, and staying away from big crowds.

Which honestly isn’t a very big loss imo. Everything else we do in public will be more dangerous than it was before but that’s life now.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Brett Pain on street fight radio was saying "women, if you're married to some guy who is not gonna get the vaccine... just divorce them". I dunno if I'm there yet but ostracization is real.
I do wonder if I'd have the will power to reduce and finally cut contact with older antivax relatives like parents etc. I'd like to think I would. As a bonus if enough people do, the estranged parents thread will be hot again.

"My no-count son and daughter in law won't let me see my grandkids just because I'm not 5G vaccinated and I go to fast casual restaurants and linger inside for hours to make a point to the staff and I constantly open mouth cough on anything and everything around me. Is there some way I can sue them?"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sjs00 posted:

I am going to make a special offer for the thread. I will personally, on a busy night like tonight, go to the bar scene at 11pm or so and conduct as many short in person interviews as I can on why they aren't getting vaxed (audio only)
My question is do we really want to know the answers why? its just going to be stupid inane poo poo

That seems like you'll invite a lot of hostility and hostility at a bar can invite bad situations.

I'm a very vigilant person though.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe we can send crack teams of doctors to lurk in alleyways with a large menacing syringe? They can leap out onto any likely target and vaxx the poo poo out of them right there

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That seems like you'll invite a lot of hostility and hostility at a bar can invite bad situations.

I'm a very vigilant person though.

Oh I would not be stepping into any bars, just the heavily crowded streets outside the bars. And suffice to say people have seen me around before that I would probably be fine?
The convos would not be jovial though that is for loving sure

e i imagine my single line would be "Hey have you considered getting vaxed?" and then roll tape

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sjs00 posted:

Please don’t threaten self‐harm.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Platystemon posted:

Please don’t threaten self‐harm.

I get that this is a joke but this kind of interviewing is critical to getting these bumpkins to go get loving jabbed, it needs to be done. If we knew their specific arguments and beliefs maybe we can begin to debunk them

I am quite ready to take to the streets with the covid19 alarmism if thats unclear in any way

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

I get that this is a joke but this kind of interviewing is critical to getting these bumpkins to go get loving jabbed, it needs to be done

sounds like a good way to catch an rear end whooping

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
We have some family that refuse to get vaccinated, it's stressful and frustrating but I don't think it's ideal to tell my wife to just sever from her parents and sister, who she hasn't seen in over a year.

If we could get our preschool age daughter protected, we'd feel a lot better and just sigh and hope they don't get sick. When they visit we've compromised that they need to show negative tests, which I know aren't perfect, but severing her family is not realistically an option.

It definitely really sucks.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

boar guy posted:

sounds like a good way to catch an rear end whooping

You would know all bout antagonizing people

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
solution: arm customer facing workers with dart injector guns

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

kiddos' getting their shot today woot

Sjs00 posted:

shut the gently caress up

boar guy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 14, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sjs00 posted:

:drat:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Brett Pain on street fight radio was saying "women, if you're married to some guy who is not gonna get the vaccine... just divorce them". I dunno if I'm there yet but ostracization is real.
I do wonder if I'd have the will power to reduce and finally cut contact with older antivax relatives like parents etc. I'd like to think I would. As a bonus if enough people do, the estranged parents thread will be hot again.

"My no-count son and daughter in law won't let me see my grandkids just because I'm not 5G vaccinated and I go to fast casual restaurants and linger inside for hours to make a point to the staff and I constantly open mouth cough on anything and everything around me. Is there some way I can sue them?"

I’m not sure Brett Pain is the guy to listen to when it comes to marriage advice

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Sjs00 posted:

Oh I would not be stepping into any bars, just the heavily crowded streets outside the bars. And suffice to say people have seen me around before that I would probably be fine?
The convos would not be jovial though that is for loving sure

e i imagine my single line would be "Hey have you considered getting vaxed?" and then roll tape

https://twitter.com/moschinodorito/status/1259871762575249408?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

holy poo poo were those boys queuing up for the bar at 11AM? Tenacious