Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

the bullshit is that article, why would hamas be relying on news coverage to know whether the idf was in gaza? why would you believe anything published in haaretz right now anyhow?

it seemed like yesterday hella western journalists on twitter were like "oh they are starting to invade, wait no their not, wait yes they are. wait just kidding"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fits my needs posted:

it seemed like yesterday hella western journalists on twitter were like "oh they are starting to invade, wait no their not, wait yes they are. wait just kidding"

they were sure, but do you think hamas was relying on that for idf troop positions?

*edit*
sorry the article was paywalled so i took the OP at his word. i went back to check and didn't see any reference to hamas actually getting lured into tunnels to get bombed, just intended to.

Stringent has issued a correction as of 13:36 on May 14, 2021

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Doing some Media Analysis and Criticism on the article, Stringent is right: what the article shows “definitively” is that the IDF deliberately lied to the media—they sent a WhatsApp message to a bunch of journos explicitly saying there were troops on the ground, and waited 2 hours before “clarifying.” That seems to be true. When it comes to motive, Haaretz just cites “emergent social media” to say that it was to draw Hamas into tunnels.

e: ^ oh, interesting, maybe they edited the article since I read it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

smug n stuff posted:

Doing some Media Analysis and Criticism on the article, Stringent is right: what the article shows “definitively” is that the IDF deliberately lied to the media—they sent a WhatsApp message to a bunch of journos explicitly saying there were troops on the ground, and waited 2 hours before “clarifying.” That seems to be true. When it comes to motive, Haaretz just cites “emergent social media” to say that it was to draw Hamas into tunnels.

e: ^ oh, interesting, maybe they edited the article since I read it

no, i think you're right, but don't care enough to check :)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It should go without saying that destroying an entire village as a strategy of counter-insurgency is literal Nazi doctrine.
hobsbawm:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mola Yam posted:

piss tape israel

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah Israel is Americas baby
And has learnt the same nothings as its parent.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/EmpireFiles/status/1393015740291162120

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Stringent posted:

the bullshit is that article, why would hamas be relying on news coverage to know whether the idf was in gaza? why would you believe anything published in haaretz right now anyhow?

Yeah, the simple explanation is that the IDF changed their original statement because they never intended to invade in the first place, and Western media ran with the invasion story because they don't know how to read.

https://twitter.com/Mahyar3138/status/1393185647159042059?s=20

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

jewish zionist. politics student. aspirations in security & diplomacy.

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

jewish zionist. politics student. aspirations in security & diplomacy.

lmao

He argument falls apart since Hamas made sure to buy everything on a BOGO special

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, the simple explanation is that the IDF changed their original statement because they never intended to invade in the first place, and Western media ran with the invasion story because they don't know how to read.

but it sounds like the same Israeli military spokesperson twice confirmed to foreign press that there were ground troops in Gaza before finally clarifying otherwise two hours later. I also doubt Hamas would be checking foreign news outlets for indications of a ground invasion, so I’m skeptical of the “trap them in their tunnels” theory.

the most plausible I can think of rn is that the military people assigned to foreign news correspondents got confused and accidentally spilled the beans on plans for a potential future ground invasion. I don’t see the benefit in deliberately misleading foreign (and not domestic) media that they have escalated the situation to such a huge extent, but maybe someone else does.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I think media misconstrued "ground operations" (which can include the tank/artillery shelling happening now) with "ground invasion"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
uhhh yeah i dont think hamas is using the news to conduct military strikes cuz i figure they have people on the ground to do that stuff

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Justin Tyme posted:

I think media misconstrued "ground operations" (which can include the tank/artillery shelling happening now) with "ground invasion"

I don't think this is the case. WSJ correspondent covering P/I:
https://twitter.com/felschwartz/status/1392994317686513665

The guy quoted, Jonathan Conricus, is the IDF's "International Spokesperson."

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:barf:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

death to israel

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

death to israel

:hmmyes:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/KyleJGlen/status/1393212345950871552?s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

incredible

in how hosed up this is lmao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lmao israel should burn to the ground but then that'd just leave ashes for palestinians when they return to their homes that were taken so instead it should just cease to exist

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

NPR just reported that "two Israelis fell and died" on their way to a bomb shelter and I don't know if they just reported that someone tripped and died??? What the gently caress does that mean??

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

NPR just reported that "two Israelis fell and died" on their way to a bomb shelter and I don't know if they just reported that someone tripped and died??? What the gently caress does that mean??

im sure nbc will be breaking news with a surveillance video and headline story any minute

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

a few years ago I was listening to NPR and they had a Palestinian spokesperson on and he was talking in very plain terms about the indignities and suffering the Israelis were inflicting on his people. the host got audibly uncomfortable and quickly cut him off

I was a mushbrained lib at the time so it just struck me as weird. nowadays my third eye is fully opened and I post death to Israel and know in my heart that NPR is collaborator swine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Palestinian jumped out and gave them heart attacks by going "OOGA BOOGA BOOGA!"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i forgot to post this before

https://twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1393051144302338049?s=20

THIS CIVILIAN SOLDIER

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Palestinians Rule

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1393176947891523586?s=20

Arab Solidarity Rules.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

At least one of those, literally yes: israeli media reported that this 87-year-old woman fell and died. Hamas!!!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

[Schindler removes his watch] 10 more rockets right there

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/idf/status/1392482375490211844?s=21

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ugh

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

These people should be killed
Simple as that

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

It's a start

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Good, rot in hell.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BETERBIEVNEXT/status/1393093018853548032?s=19

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

"let a thousand flowers bloom so that I can despoil them all"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whos the woman hugging the smoking rapist with the manicured nails and jewelry

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

IM posted some really tone-deaf "we stand with Israel" thing on their social media, complete with use of "the Motherland." From what I saw in the comments they got torn up over it, and I think they may have deleted the post. I used to be a huuuuge fan of their stuff and as far as I can remember they never got so explicitly political, but I always suspected they were chuds.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSeN2xISopM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Real hurthling! posted:

whos the woman hugging the smoking rapist with the manicured nails and jewelry

Idf squadmate probably