Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Eason the Fifth posted:

Man this second shot can really get you

It didn't kick in until 14 hours after the shot for me, but I've slept for 28 of the last 34 hours. I think I'm good to go. I'd say commit to the rest if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My understanding is that people are starting to anticipate hyperinflation which means buying assets and paying off debt.

I’m no economy man though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would you pay off a debt when the currency units that debt is denominated will soon represent less real value?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

because your nominal income will remain flat

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Why would you pay off a debt when the currency units that debt is denominated will soon represent less real value?

Because your credit report runs your life more than just about anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

As long as the interest rate on the debt is higher than the inflation rate you’re still better off paying it down*. Not to mention the fact that having debt is still an emotional burden and something that can turn your life upside down if you miss a payment or two.

*Investment returns aside

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
gently caress debt.

Also, don't gently caress with debt.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

gently caress debt.

Deep cut.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have been good about my debt for the last 8 or so years*. Paid off the last thing in collections right before I got out of the army in 2014.

Everything falls off of my credit report this year.

Except for that debt related to tuition assistance that originated in 2014 that never showed up on a single credit report for the last seven years that I completely forgot about because I was getting out of the army and had recently tried to kill myself, that I would’ve paid off immediately but legitimately didn’t know about which will now be on my credit report til 2028.

I’ll gladly take the blame for not paying it but god dammit, another seven years with a blight on my report that originated during the darkest time in my life after I worked so hard on my finances is disheartening.

The whole experience seems a bit “gently caress the poor” even if it is a legitimate debt.

gently caress credit. gently caress credit scores.

*2020 took its toll on me and I racked up a bunch of credit card debt. No late payments or anything, but I got into counseling to find other ways to channel my depression instead of spending money. I’ve since cut all of my credit cards up and even closed an account because gently caress credit.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 14, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

it fucks with me that the only way to improve your credit score is to be in debt

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Credit scores are a scam, and I wish there was a way to make them go away. Like the world ran just fine before Experian existed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ElMaligno posted:

it fucks with me that the only way to improve your credit score is to be in debt

Not entirely.

You can just pay the credit monitors to boost your credit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was also very poorly educated in credit management so when I was 18 and the girl I was dating with suggested I get a credit card to help us pay rent, it sounded like the smart thing to do.

This country is a big set up for failure.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

piL posted:

It didn't kick in until 14 hours after the shot for me, but I've slept for 28 of the last 34 hours. I think I'm good to go. I'd say commit to the rest if you can.

Yeah i'm definitely taking today off. Feels like the morning after a bad bender. Body aches, headache, eyes and teeth hurt, dizzy. Also kept waking up last night and had to piss like six times even though i wasn't especially hydrated :shrug:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hyperinflation in the USD - a greater than %50 in inflation in a month - would be a pretty sweet international economic disaster that would really gently caress poo poo up in a spectacular way. I don't see why anything like that would be around the bend, which is probably why there aren't hundreds of thousands of articles on the topic as front page news.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hyperinflation in the USD - a greater than %50 in inflation in a month - would be a pretty sweet international economic disaster that would really gently caress poo poo up in a spectacular way. I don't see why anything like that would be around the bend, which is probably why there aren't hundreds of thousands of articles on the topic as front page news.

It's been a boogeyman on the fringe, mostly in goldbug and prepper folks as far as I can tell, ever since quantitative easing. I think there's a sound argument that we're in some weird new waters with regards to central bank policy, but the idea that hyperinflation is inevitable or even likely seems mostly to be coming from exactly the same people who were real worried about EMP attacks ten years ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Nixon shock was in response to just 5.84% annual inflation according to Wikipedia. The worst of stagflation was up to 13%. (Way too many numbers here: https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-cpi-consumer-price-index-1970-1979/ )

We have a long way to go to hyperinflation!

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just wanted to say I really appreciated this post.

Don't really have much to add to the discourse at large except that I'm pissed off and tired of seeing this poo poo happen time and time again.

You're not alone in appreciating that post. I know I'm just a lurker but it's something to see commentary that is humanizing rather than dehumanizing for a change, even when it's tired and angry. That it's humans like you and me suffering from this, and perpetrating this. This isn't really some alien event happening on the other side of a distant world - it's something that was utterly predictable and life and death consequences happening here and now to us.

I don't know how to put it but it's like there's people who understand that genocide is not the answer, and there's people who think it's magically gonna work this time as though history is just a list of suggestions rather than a lesson in how things work. Apart from scale I can't see a significant difference between the israeli mobs roaming the streets beating/lynching arabs, and the Hutu mobs wandering Rwanda in 1994, and the drat brownshirts in 1930's Germany. And the way it's all going, next year it could be happening in my city or yours. Because IDK what exactly can stop genocidal hate like that - Gandhi might have stopped one once but there's no Ghandhis in 21st century hellword. Plenty of people seem to know how to start hate like that and are working to push those buttons, but I think getting the "genocide is wrong, look at history" message across can help, even where people are intractably bigoted.

Anyway sorry for unlurking while drunk, but this thread is the only news source I have that doesn't make me even more bitter about everything. Everywhere else where news comes up there's just too many people with too much BS to prove. That still happens here sometimes but it's very tolerable compared to every goddamn alternative I've seen so far.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

gently caress debt.

Holy poo poo :laffo:, what a callback to 2005 forums lore

Also I haven’t seen this discussed here, but it looks like the rot in the SOF community I sn’t just confined to the SEALs. Delta is specifically mentioned here as having some serious problems with its operators getting into some shady poo poo like drug trafficking and murder. This article also refers to a lot of murders and suspicious deaths that have occurred at Fort Bragg that have not been prosecuted or adequately investigated.

I have a friend who was in SF and he’s hinted at seeing some dark poo poo in the community during his time in. I know better not to ask. Glad this forum led me to not enlisting as an 18X back in the early 2010s.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1393168815677218818

lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

who could have foreseen!?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

The Sausages posted:

I don't know how to put it but it's like there's people who understand that genocide is not the answer, and there's people who think it's magically gonna work this time as though history is just a list of suggestions rather than a lesson in how things work. Apart from scale I can't see a significant difference between the israeli mobs roaming the streets beating/lynching arabs, and the Hutu mobs wandering Rwanda in 1994, and the drat brownshirts in 1930's Germany. And the way it's all going, next year it could be happening in my city or yours. Because IDK what exactly can stop genocidal hate like that - Gandhi might have stopped one once but there's no Ghandhis in 21st century hellword. Plenty of people seem to know how to start hate like that and are working to push those buttons, but I think getting the "genocide is wrong, look at history" message across can help, even where people are intractably bigoted.

Most of recent domestic/international politics is based on two sides, both thinking they're right, locked in some kind of struggle with deaths and suffering involved. On each side, there's a group willing to drop hostilities and unilaterally take the first step, which is basically the prerequisite. But, they're immediately called weenies that aren't patriotic enough by hardliners. The added bonus that the hardliners would end up winning the next election/power shuffle and rapidly return things back to the deathstruggle. America and Iran come especially to mind now, but it sort of applies everywhere lately.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

who could have foreseen!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

I’ve been reminded of this prophetic sermon from the late great Dennis Green a lot these last five years.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ah I guess I’ve heard some non goldbugs talking about looming hyperinflation being a concern this time around to explain why number is going up during the pandemic despite there being no economic recovery, probably a lot more complicated than that.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

I really thought this rich guy I've never met would have my best interests at heart because we hate the same kind of people.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Ah I guess I’ve heard some non goldbugs talking about looming hyperinflation being a concern this time around to explain why number is going up during the pandemic despite there being no economic recovery, probably a lot more complicated than that.

My dumb guy theory is that the price increases fall into 1 of 3 camps:

1. American manufacturing and construction activity are back to normal while the base materials, made overseas, are not being produced by countries in lockdown.
2. Much of the working class, which took the lions share of layoffs last year, are still searching for employment, maybe with an increased skillset or education after 1 year of lockdown
3. Rent seeking from the beneficiaries of "money printer go brrrr"

The first 2 are temporary.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Part of it is that everything is so over leveraged that a “small” inflationary period ruins everyone’s cash flow for the next 5 years and everything explodes. When you apply the lessons of just-in-time logistics to your cashflow and you have 5% less cashflow on your triple derivative margin calls you’re gonna collapse

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
These vaccine bribery ideas are getting really, really good lately.

https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/status/1393191121749168129?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Maaaaan where the gently caress are my rebates and prizes for getting a vaccine when it was offered to me back in March?! This is like throwing a pizza party for the kids who slacked on the group project.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
DoD just released a memo saying fully vaccinated people don't have to wear masks on base, to match the new CDC guidance. :toot:

Non vaccinated people will of course continue to diligently wear masks at all times.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Im already hearing complaints from the two unvaccinated people at work.

They are also both on duty with me.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Maaaaan where the gently caress are my rebates and prizes for getting a vaccine when it was offered to me back in March?! This is like throwing a pizza party for the kids who slacked on the group project.

They need to stop doing these because it devalues my vaccine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Looks like the Ohio one at least covers everyone who got it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

He'll walk it back

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Meanwhile I'm looking at early July for my first shot here in northern europe. I'd be happy to wait longer if the vaccines where being distributed more evenly to everyone across the planet but they aren't so I'm a little sad instead.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ElMaligno posted:

I'm expecting a seamless transition from "why bother getting vaccinated if I still have to wear a mask" to "waah I'm being discriminated against".

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Good. gently caress em. Discriminate the poo poo out of these hateful inconsiderate fucks.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Way too many people think we're on the verge of the rapture. They're going to pass this poo poo around indefinitely because the vaccines are the work of satan or whatever.

It's making me consider the old rapture pet insurance scam more seriously every day. Hey Mr. Nice, what's the legality of offering a service for an event that will never happen? Does it matter if the customer believes it will?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lol I am putting on an N- or P95 as part of my daily wear to leave the house forever

it rubs the fashy mouthbreathers I meet at work the wrong way and I loving love it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ElMaligno posted:

We're about to be on a national experiment with a whole bunch of people in buckets:

1) Vaccinated hyper-cautious types that don't drop masks

2) Vaccinated people that are thrilled and follow the drop-mask guidance

3) Unvaccinated people that couldn't get the vaccine "yet" due to access/health issues and should be wearing masks - do they keep masking and/or stay home?

4) Unvaccinated assholes - covid is a hoax it's just the flu you're all sheeple with your face diapers

5) Complete wingnuts - GET YOUR SHED SPIKE PROTEINS OFF MY PLACENTA THE VACCINATED ARE BANNED FROM MY STORE

I'm personally curious if the breakthrough numbers stay low to keep 1/2 fully protected and if the assholes in bucket 4/5 end up infecting bucket 3, which may/may not be your coworkers. Maybe the CDC folks are hoping that this forces those bucket 3s into 2s and the bribery at the state level helps some too.