Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pigz posted:

So, I'm a bit confused.

The CDC has a bunch of studies that say that fully vaccinated people don't catch the disease often (lol yankees) and when they do they don't 'pass it on much' . These studies were done with those same fully vaccinated people wearing masks as the public health guidance has been mask mask mask even fully vaccinated. So at this point the CDC has now decided based on this data that masks aren't needed?

!?!?1?1

Like clearly that makes no sense at all and fully inverts the conclusion of any sort of study wear people regularly worse masks. I figure some of the studies they reference are population like studies, but for regular studies like the AZ nurses study people who participate in them likely wear higher quality masks at much greater rates than the general public. This poo poo makes my brain hurt.

Very good points but have you considered that we need the number to go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

since canada absorbs a lot of american culture and social mores via osmosis i am not looking forward to our inevitable reactionary openbiden in oh, let's say a month or so when about 65% of us have a single dose of whatever and we decide we need hotboy summer*

(*: or, as trudeau so delicately put it, "one-dose summer")

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsWNBA/status/1392680742090690562?s=19

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/DukeStJournal/status/1392951287847792644?s=19

Lol I didn't realize the Yankees breakthrough infections were all JnJ.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A coworker is planning a trip to Costa Rica right now, a country that does not have COVID under control. She's vaccinated, but the locals aren't, and there are all sorts of limits on travel and access to things. Most of those are waived for tourists, but still I'd feel like a huge rear end in a top hat taking a huge risk going there right now.

drinking 20000₡ daiquiris at the hot springs during a pandemic to own the... wait, who are we owning these days?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nothus posted:

The "walmart" vaccine strikes again!

Goobish
May 31, 2011

osprey posted:

and let's not forget that the USDA approved the processing/sale of contagious cancer chicken last year while we were all too busy worrying about covid to pay attention, even though it has crossed species to humans before

Man oh man I sure am glad that the National Chicken Council is a thing and helping protect our beautiful factory farms from antifa chickens.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

fosborb posted:

drinking 20000₡ daiquiris at the hot springs during a pandemic to own the... wait, who are we owning these days?

Ourselves

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so when are health insurance companies going to add covid as a pre-existing condition and start denying claims?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

so when are health insurance companies going to add covid as a pre-existing condition and start denying claims?

Can't do that due to the ACA, once President Taylor Greene gets that poo poo overturned you're going to see half of America hosed out of healthcare coverage even without covid counting against them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jon Irenicus posted:

if you even mention to people the public data that shows some people who are vaccinated still contract the disease you are shunned like a vampire

how did we even get to a point where people don't believe that vaccines don't confer perfect protection when the vaccine development and testing never claimed otherwise

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

how did we even get to a point where people don't believe that vaccines don't confer perfect protection when the vaccine development and testing never claimed otherwise

Public messaging has been very careful to imply that the covid-19 vaccine turns you into a perfect immune uberhuman without outright saying it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

fosborb posted:

The downtrodden, mostly

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.
Now that covid is over, can I stop shopping exclusively at stores with a Well Health Safety Seal?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

gradenko_2000 posted:

Liberalism is a slow and insidious killer.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Yankees case es exactly what we should have been expecting. Most vaccinated people are going to catch COVID if it's still circulating. It's just that most people won't know because it'll be asymptomatic. People like athletes and Bill Maher only find out because they're very privileged people who receive routine testing.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Delta-Wye posted:

im gonna wear a mask and when confronted tell everyone im not vaxed so they leave me alone (hopefully). i think that would be easier than trying to convince them of the true efficacy at preventing infection (hint, its not 0.0003% or whatever morons are saying)

just gonna tell people i have cancer, which is probably not even a lie :shrug:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was at least one QCS thread started to complain that this thread was anti-vaxx because it did not accept that the vaccines are magic bullets that make you invunerable to COVID.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The Yankees case es exactly what we should have been expecting. Most vaccinated people are going to catch COVID if it's still circulating. It's just that most people won't know because it'll be asymptomatic. People like athletes and Bill Maher only find out because they're very privileged people who receive routine testing.

We will never get any information about whether they end up developing symptoms though. Which has been an issue the whole last year, someone gets a positive test via surveillance testing, they announce that they are feeling fine with no or very mild symptoms, and then they disappear for a few weeks or months and never speak of it again.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

cash crab posted:

since canada absorbs a lot of american culture and social mores via osmosis i am not looking forward to our inevitable reactionary openbiden in oh, let's say a month or so when about 65% of us have a single dose of whatever and we decide we need hotboy summer*

(*: or, as trudeau so delicately put it, "one-dose summer")

65% is pretty optimistic lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jon Irenicus posted:

at least in our area the offices not opening up is also a big part of the frantic open er up convo. there are restaurants who literally exist to serve lunch to the insurance office building or commercial parks with dryy cleaning across from the mobile mart who suddenly have nobody driving through. get ready for work from home to be the next assault

This is the only thing that has given me any anxiety through the whole pandemic. I don't want to go back and waste half of my day sitting in the building where I can't get anything important accomplished.

Also I don't have preschool or daycare lined up for my kids, and that can take a lot of time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

osprey posted:

just gonna tell people i have cancer, which is probably not even a lie :shrug:

we all have enough microplastics in our bodies that it is really only a matter of time

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
https://twitter.com/JSahly/status/1392919536257675270?s=20

and on cue, mask mandates are going way. They're also no longer counting vaccinated people towards capacity limits here but it's on the individual establishments to track who counts and who doesn't. It's going to be a total poo poo show.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

we all have enough microplastics in our bodies that it is really only a matter of time

rapidly evolving more telomeres to ward off Cancer, becoming homo superior in the process

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
FOLLOW

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
THE

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
SCIENCE

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

he's doing an irony bit, he's just not great at it

oh, nm then. sorry aspro

realizing i can't easily distinguish irony anymore, because everything is so loving stupid

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

the same week biden says that you gotta take any available job or get kicked off unemployment they functionally removed all public masking

these loving guys, man

Apr 7, 2003

whiskey patrol posted:

https://twitter.com/JSahly/status/1392919536257675270?s=20

and on cue, mask mandates are going way. They're also no longer counting vaccinated people towards capacity limits here but it's on the individual establishments to track who counts and who doesn't. It's going to be a total poo poo show.

*narrator voice* they did not track

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

NeonPunk posted:

65% is pretty optimistic lol

assuming uptake doesn't tank like it did in the us, this is the one general figure i feel fairly confident about since the threshold was "eligible population" and we're sitting at 51% or so and pfizer shipments are set to be double what they were a month ago.

that being said: yes, very optimistic lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lansdowne posted:

the same week biden says that you gotta take any available job or get kicked off unemployment they functionally removed all public masking

these loving guys, man

It certainly seems coordinated but the govt is so incompetent I have a hard time believing all the chambers of commerce in montana worked hand in hand with coastal elites who are desperately afraid of being called hypocrites

This kind of team up is just fortuitous!

salient
Jan 2, 2021
https://twitter.com/celinegounder/status/1393215010755817476

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/health/covid-vaccine-latino-hispanic.html

Many Unvaccinated Latinos in the U.S. Want the Shot, New Survey Finds

Issues of access and fears of employment and immigration consequences have kept their Covid vaccination rates low, the findings suggest.

Latino adults in the United States have the lowest rates of Covid-19 vaccination, but among the unvaccinated they are the demographic group most willing to receive the Covid shots as soon as possible, a new survey shows. The findings suggest that their depressed vaccination rate reflects in large measure misinformation about cost and access, as well as concerns about employment and immigration issues, according to the latest edition of the Kaiser Family Foundation Covid-19 Vaccine Monitor.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

It certainly seems coordinated but the govt is so incompetent I have a hard time believing all the chambers of commerce in montana worked hand in hand with coastal elites who are desperately afraid of being called hypocrites

This kind of team up is just fortuitous!

When you only hire people with certain educations and mindsets in to careers that track them in to these careers it turns out you don't even need to send a memo.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

hell yeah

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus posted:

reported for posting anti-vax propaganda

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Nothus posted:

The JnJ has the same efficacy rate as Jeter and a slow roller to his right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
Got my first round of juice yesterday, and today it feels like I spent all day yesterday playing manly arm punching games with my friends from middle school, good lord. I thought it was the second shot that was cray, this is rediculous.