Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

ape escape pwns

yeah can't be too mad at that choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got really into JRPGs on the SNES and then I decided I wanted a Saturn even though they had already announced FF7 for the PS1 at that point. I got this game which is one of the more generic RPGs I've ever played and had a translation by Working Designs including their stupid pop culture references. FF7 came out literally two months later, thankfully I eventually got a PS1

Sega Saturn MTMFW

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got really into JRPGs on the SNES and then I decided I wanted a Saturn even though they had already announced FF7 for the PS1 at that point. I got this game which is one of the more generic RPGs I've ever played and had a translation by Working Designs including their stupid pop culture references. FF7 came out literally two months later, thankfully I eventually got a PS1

I'm the dragon's tiny swords

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

herculon posted:

yeah can't be too mad at that choice

I was too stupid to learn the analog controls. Think I eventually swapped it with the kid next door for toy story 2

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's weird when games that are based off licensing a franchise don't end up being total garbage. some of the capcom disney ones were decent platformers, TMNT was sort of its own genre for a long time, madden was a decent strategy game series. arena is probably the best MTG video game anyone will ever get. i like the batman games but i think i have to admit they're only just okay. it's a shame that harry potter game looks like it's probably going to suck, i always thought it would have been better as a video game series than a book series.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
nes batman is a classic

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What always surprises me is how many good Star Wars games there have been in a pretty wide range of genres lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What always surprises me is how many good Star Wars games there have been in a pretty wide range of genres lol

i think that's just the sheer volume of them. like there are a huge ton that are trash too, you roll the dice hundreds of times and sometimes they're going to come up a win.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i was just thinkin about how many lovely star wars games there were lol. pretty much every ps1/n64 game sucked rear end except rogue squadron and maybe episode 1 racer

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

come to think of it, i talked my buddy rick into buying masters of teras kasi because it had luke on the cover and he didnt talk to me for like a week lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
All the good star wars games were on pc . well really only tie fighter. I liked dark forces and the Jedi kmight games but will i be able to handle terrible 90s fps puzzles aka walking around a huge map trying to figure out what a switch did nowadays???

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
yoda stories is the only good roguelike

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thread related: I rented the PS1 phantom menace game like 4 times in a row just to level select to the tatooine level and just spend hours killing every NPC. Also in the podrace level you could make qui gon buy drinks at the bar to the point that there was a dialogue option of 'ill tell you when I've had enough'. Game owned

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I remember Shadows of the Empire for the N64 being fun, but I'm never going to replay it to see if that's true.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

herculon posted:

I remember Shadows of the Empire for the N64 being fun, but I'm never going to replay it to see if that's true.

it's hoiype.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

yoda stories is the only good roguelike

Rogue legacy much?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
episode i racer rules. i let my friend borrow it and he somehow stepped on the cd and broke it in half.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

N64 was cool I liked it a lot, when I was 6.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

NienNunb posted:

N64 was cool I liked it a lot, when I was 6.

as the platform for mario 64 and star fox 64 it's officially a good system

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

All the good star wars games were on pc . well really only tie fighter. I liked dark forces and the Jedi kmight games but will i be able to handle terrible 90s fps puzzles aka walking around a huge map trying to figure out what a switch did nowadays???

Jedi Knight 1 is still good, played it again a couple of years ago. Then Jedi Outcast has some of the worst map design I've ever seen

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

oh wow i had a magazine that had a walkthrough for this and it made me want to play it. glad i didn't miss much at least!

i got the spawn game for SNES with my birthday money one year and i hated it so much lol. i eventually traded it along with a bunch of pokemon cards for breath of fire 3

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

Joey McChrist posted:

oh wow i had a magazine that had a walkthrough for this and it made me want to play it. glad i didn't miss much at least!

i got the spawn game for SNES with my birthday money one year and i hated it so much lol. i eventually traded it along with a bunch of pokemon cards for breath of fire 3

hey save some gangtags for the rest of us!

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Rented both of these games as a kid because the box advertised they had so many levels! With that many levels I can't possibly get bored!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
robotron 64 pwned though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

robotron 64 pwned though

This

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Jedi Knight 1 is still good, played it again a couple of years ago. Then Jedi Outcast has some of the worst map design I've ever seen

you seem to have this backwards

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

Star Wars™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 100% Dark Side ending

don't play this game unless you're extremely tolerant of mid 90s fps game design. most of the game hasn't aged well beyond things like i had to crank my mouse down to 200dpi just to have a usable sensitivity, the force powers are all useless and needlessly gated too far into the game so you dont really get to enjoy any of the ones that actually do anything until the last few levels and every single light saber duel sucks an boils down to circle strafing the boss so you can hit their back and lucky the last 2 levels are just that so the game ends on a real wet fart. there's extra force stars you get by finding every secret so just knowing that makes you explore every cranny of the level over the fear you might miss out.

the absolute worst thing about the game is the diakatana-esque level design though. on one stage after taking an elevator down i went around the corner and found a secret which was a dead end. the actual intended route was a vent i had to cut half down the elevator shaft and jump through and then once getting to the roof i had to blind drop onto a tiny platform and pixel walk around to a ramp and then jump down to an entrance that is the same texture as the ramp surrounding it so it's like trying to land the leap of faith from the last crusade. any mistakes during this would result in me landing in an instant kill zone. this is to say nothing of the many times i spent running in circles trying to find the switch i missed pressing that was crucial to proceed.

when the game didnt have any of this bullshit i had a lot of fun blowing up storm troopers and cutting off their limbs and the famous crashing ship level was super impressive for something made in 1997. i cant wait to start on jedi outcast knowing it fixes basically every issue with this game though lol.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
convinced a friend to rent wanted: weapons of fate once. big mistake

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Bicyclops posted:

my favorite Krusty's Super Fun House story is that once, my brother and i decided to sit and play it together on an emulator, and for a reason i don't remember, i had to send him one of the save states in an email. i wrote it up quickly while he was sitting there - the email subject line was "Krusty's Stupid Fun House" and the only email text was "NOW WHO"S LAUGHING?" which was some kind of inside joke at the moment. i forgot to attach the save file and fired it off to his first initial and last name at gmail dot com, which i was sure was his email because it was taken when i went to register a gmail account (he has the same first initial as me). as soon as i hit send, he said "that's not my email address."

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

my favorite Krusty's Super Fun House story is that once, my brother and i decided to sit and play it together on an emulator, and for a reason i don't remember, i had to send him one of the save states in an email. i wrote it up quickly while he was sitting there - the email subject line was "Krusty's Stupid Fun House" and the only email text was "NOW WHO"S LAUGHING?" which was some kind of inside joke at the moment. i forgot to attach the save file and fired it off to his first initial and last name at gmail dot com, which i was sure was his email because it was taken when i went to register a gmail account (he has the same first initial as me). as soon as i hit send, he said "that's not my email address."

lmfao

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I spent my money on Ultima IX

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The game that made me want a Playstation

The game that made me want a Playstation 2

And like everyone else, 99% of the games I rented or purchased for N64

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

is that the one with the build a fighter mode where you had to fight a guy to unlock moves? i remember kind of liking that one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had this too, it was pretty fun

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Tato posted:

The game that made me want a Playstation 2

I had this game and it was pretty good. God of War totally ripped it off

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

this game was kind of cool in a way but it actually sucked poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i wasted all of my lawn mowing money on this pile.

I never even got very far in it, I remember being unable to escape prison at some point.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I bought the bootleg Somari cartridge for my SNES lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I remember renting this and it was really weird to me as I'd never really played or heard of rail shooters before, maybe other than arcades. I did not however remember it being subtitled NoseGunner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

b_d posted:

this game was kind of cool in a way but it actually sucked poo poo.
suck sidewalk!