Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

If you’re patient/ really good you can rush the Valorheart. It kinda stinks compared to a lot of other straight swords but it makes up for it in coolness.

The black blade is also kinda early and has a unique move set. Friede’s scythe is also really cool but I’d probably pull my hair out trying to get that early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mate bought me this to play coop with him and a third player. Thinking of going a healy cleric but worried about making myself too weak, can someone suggest a build? First time playing 3, I got about halfway through DS1 I guess.

Would I even be able to "pure coop" a playthrough of this game with the way the summoning stuff works?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m a friendless loser but there’s a password feature for coop that scales your damage back if you’re helping a significantly underleveled player

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
also scales your hp back

if you're planning to co-op through with a group i'd absolutely use the blue sentinel mod to prevent the current trend of hackers that can reset your progress in the game by modifying your list of accessed bonfires.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If you're playing DS3 for the first time you can't go wrong with a big sword/axe and shield STR build.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Thanks, installed that mod and I think I got my friends to as well. Is it a bad idea for me to try be a healer? Would love some advice on a build it's so opaque and I'm gonna be focusing on coop rather than a normal playthrough.

But more of an early game build, the stuff I see online is all SL100+ stuff. I know this might be kinda against the grain of Dark Souls.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 11, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Thanks, installed that mod and I think I got my friends to as well. Is it a bad idea for me to try be a healer? Would love some advice on a build it's so opaque and I'm gonna be focusing on coop rather than a normal playthrough.

But more of an early game build, the stuff I see online is all SL100+ stuff. I know this might be kinda against the grain of Dark Souls.

Most important thing to level early on, especially on first playthrough, is Vigor for more HP

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

None of this is really against the grain of dark souls, you can do what you want!

Being a healer is fine and good. But you'll want to spend most of your early stats on vigor and endurance regardless. You can do a good amount of faith though, and then both heal and use faith scaling weapons or lightning infusion.

The Herald starts with a self-only heal, the Cleric starts with a heal that applies to yourself and allies. But you can also get the heal spell pretty early on.

I'd get 12 FTH for the heal spell and then focus on VIT/END and maybe like STR for a bit, until you get to the mid game and get more miracles and can do things like lightning infusion. Then you can go hardcore all Faith for the rest of the game and try out different miracles and faith scaling weapons.

Dragonslayer's Axe is great if you can get it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You can co-op in 3, and a healing build would just be a Faith build but plug some group heal spells into your spell slots. It's fine and co-op on bosses is pretty easy and enjoyable, but you will get invaded a ton because DS3 prioritizes funneling invaders to human hosts who have phantoms summoned. The first few areas are active invasion zones anyway, either from experienced players hoping to get some easy kills on newbies or they're designated pvp gank zones. The Blue Sentinels mod should hopefully help against game/potentially PC-destroying antics, but you might want to avoid picking up any items invaders drop and see about getting a program that will auto backup your saves just in case.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Trying to get into this game again.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EmptyRapidAnkolewatusi-mobile.mp4

It's going well.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Zesty posted:

Trying to get into this game again.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EmptyRapidAnkolewatusi-mobile.mp4

It's going well.

:v:

It's very important not to panic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'll dork souls however I like.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
was really hoping you would panic roll into the explosive barrel traps tbh

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
those enemies should have a grab attack where they dunk you in the pot

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool that the penultimate boss of Dark Souls 3 is a pair of paraplegics that instant transmission everywhere. Like, no irony, there’s some kind of tragedy and warped elegance to most of the Lords but the Super Lothric Bros nail it in a pretty understated way compared to “the world is so ducking tired we repeated the whole Artorias of the Abyss thing by accident” and “Gyndolin’s corpse being piloted by slime mega man”.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think the complaints about the enemies being from Bloodborne while you’re still in Dark Souls 1 have largely been overblown cause they might be faster and more aggressive but they’re still the same dumb old Souls enemies wrt openings and general vulnerability to mashing R1 but yeah, I might be a big old baby (feel like I’ve posted that more than once in this thread now) but Soul of Cinder is making me miss my BB sidesteps like nothing else has. Specifically phase 1 that’s just a amalgamation of NPC/PC builds where sometimes even one axe swing can leave me open so I guess I’m throwing black balls, phase 2 actually feels like the hard part’s done even if I still wiped twice.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I think the complaints about the enemies being from Bloodborne while you’re still in Dark Souls 1 have largely been overblown cause they might be faster and more aggressive but they’re still the same dumb old Souls enemies wrt openings and general vulnerability to mashing R1 but yeah, I might be a big old baby (feel like I’ve posted that more than once in this thread now) but Soul of Cinder is making me miss my BB sidesteps like nothing else has. Specifically phase 1 that’s just a amalgamation of NPC/PC builds where sometimes even one axe swing can leave me open so I guess I’m throwing black balls, phase 2 actually feels like the hard part’s done even if I still wiped twice.

Have you fought Friede yet?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/darksoulstoilet/status/1393221204874563587/photo/1

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Have you fought Friede yet?

That’s one of the DLC bosses, right? I was gonna wait till I beat the game but I guess I should just finish the DLC so my punk rear end can learn what real “why boss so Bloodborne” is, huh?

Lol

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I almost never felt like I was incredibly overmatched in speed because you have instant panic rolls. The thing that still fucks me up are the Outrider Knights. I still don't know when it's safe to estus in those fights.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm kind of impressed with the amount of stuff they've crammed into Cinders.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Another day in Dark Souls

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DifficultGlassAnhinga-mobile.mp4

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

"no! bad!"

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Gave you the ol' krabby patty.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I guess he's feeling it now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Learning that you can parry the rear end in a top hat crabs was the greatest moment of my DS3 career.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You disrespected that crab

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lmao, time for crab

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Samuel Clemens posted:

Learning that you can parry the rear end in a top hat crabs was the greatest moment of my DS3 career.

Might wanna see a doctor if your rear end in a top hat crabs are getting big enough to parry

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s cool that the penultimate boss of Dark Souls 3 is a pair of paraplegics that instant transmission everywhere. Like, no irony, there’s some kind of tragedy and warped elegance to most of the Lords but the Super Lothric Bros nail it in a pretty understated way compared to “the world is so ducking tired we repeated the whole Artorias of the Abyss thing by accident” and “Gyndolin’s corpse being piloted by slime mega man”.

It helps that their theme is loving spectacular too.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Azran posted:

I'm kind of impressed with the amount of stuff they've crammed into Cinders.

It’s a huge amount of stuff, but there’s tons of bloat, and the balance is pretty terrible. It’s very much a “kitchen sink” type of design and it’s pretty easy to land on a ridiculously overpowered setup that kills everything without much effort if you like to experiment. It’s fun to explore in the sense of “I want to try and make this weird concept work,” though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, after playing around for a bit I sort of wish I could just have the weapons and armor added to the regular game :v: I mean, it's really cool that they can break the game open like this but it's a bit too much of everything for me. Reminds me of Roguetech for HBS' Battletech.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

A little personal update: 1. I'm still mad at this hateful, ugly, bleak, sadistic game and I will be forever. 2: I just played Demon Souls 2021 and it is AMAZING oh my god I want it so bad. It has fun combat mechanics like parrying! Unlike in DS3, in which only enemy characters can parry.

Whaddaya mean, no Windows release??

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know this game very well.

I'm trying this build.

I have a bandit's knife as a third weapon. What should I infuse it with? Hollow for +5 luck? Bleed? Sharp?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Zesty posted:

I don't know this game very well.

I'm trying this build.

I have a bandit's knife as a third weapon. What should I infuse it with? Hollow for +5 luck? Bleed? Sharp?

Bleed knives aren't bad. There are a few enemies you can melt with them. (The hand faced monsters and the pontiff's doggie terrors). If you're backstabbing then Sharp will likely take you further. You can also use the bleed on anyone turtling behind a shield to make em panic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I hear good things about hollow infusion on knives? Especially with my build. I just don't understand what it's giving me over a bleed infusion.

I've also dumped the scythe. It's kind of neat, but necessitates a lot of extra vitality and has absolutely no value in PVP situations I get into.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't understand why every time I invade, it's always 1v3. Every single time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zesty posted:

I don't understand why every time I invade, it's always 1v3. Every single time.

The DS3 invasion system blocks red eye invasions of solo hosts after the first time any given character is invaded. If you never summon help, use dried fingers, or use an invasion item yourself, you literally can’t be red eye invaded more than once as a solo host. So the target pool for red eye invasions is composed of 1) brand new characters, 2) people who are summoning, 3) people who are literally asking for invasions, and 4) people who are invading others themselves. 2 and 3 are likely to have people summoned already, 1 and 4 are likely to summon help if possible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

The DS3 invasion system blocks red eye invasions of solo hosts after the first time any given character is invaded. If you never summon help, use dried fingers, or use an invasion item yourself, you literally can’t be red eye invaded more than once as a solo host.
Pretty sure this resets if you warp or quit, and it only actually blocks the invasion after the host dies with an invader in their world-which means if you disconnect when invaded, you can be invaded again immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool that they realized Lady Maria was a cool boss fight so they gave her a sick scythe to go ham with.

Also beat the game, it was fun and I stopped having trouble when I remembered my Bloodborne training (fear is for the weak) also I feel like I got lucky with Cinderdad using his full combo that leaves tons of healing openings.