Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

My recently former manager is now at a FAANG lite and tipped me off to a role they need filled for their new team.

They also sent a link to a job to a coworker who I am pretty tight with.

Long story short, the req they sent coworker is higher paying so I go look at it and it's within my experience. I'm loving somewhere in between pissed and understanding, and starting to feel like this mgr had kept putting me in a box and has some biases, and what I'm going to do is apply for this higher paying job and let the loving process suss out if I'm right or not rather than let the suggested position ex mgr gave be my fate

loving rear end in a top hat, such whiplash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

get another job and ask for 130k

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ardemia posted:

Is asking for a 35% raise due to working in a legacy platform and doing it solo an unreasonable ask?

no, but you're not going to get it. by virtue of you currently getting $x, management has determined that you are "worth" $x, and won't pay you substantially more than that. so:

get another job and ask for 130k

KoRMaK posted:

that poo poo makes me so mad

yeah idk why every single paycheck-approver in the entire industry has the exact same inability to understand that we are capable of comparing our compensation with our peers'. (except apparently maybe apple? i've heard rumors.)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
apple software peeps are the most underpaid software peeps at any tech major. hardware peeps in apple are practically the only hardware peeps in the world to get paid comparable to tech major software peeps tho. this explains the continuing incompetence in macos dept, and also the continuing incompetence in their application programming depts

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

apple software peeps are the most underpaid software peeps at any tech major. hardware peeps in apple are practically the only hardware peeps in the world to get paid comparable to tech major software peeps tho. this explains the continuing incompetence in macos dept, and also the continuing incompetence in their application programming depts

i interview a lot of people trying to escape apple's services division and they all cite working with ancient tech and reporting to clueless out of touch leaders as the reason they are leaving

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my post. I have done some checking around, and I have found no fewer than 12 positions near me that pay more and are purely web development. I do live outside of major tech areas, but close enough to a few secondary ones that I could manage something 80% remote easily. Going to get whatever raise I can and start applying to other jobs this week. thanks goons :)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ardemia posted:

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my post. I have done some checking around, and I have found no fewer than 12 positions near me that pay more and are purely web development. I do live outside of major tech areas, but close enough to a few secondary ones that I could manage something 80% remote easily. Going to get whatever raise I can and start applying to other jobs this week. thanks goons :)

There's a LOT of companies going 100% remote. Competition can be stiffer but thats what resume threads and autofill plugins are for.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

CarForumPoster posted:

There's a LOT of companies going 100% remote. Competition can be stiffer but thats what resume threads and autofill plugins are for.

Oh yeah, I was 100% remote for the past 6 months and am currently 100% remote due to go back to 80% june 1st, I just wanted to be flexible

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
hey, i'm flexible, i'll come into the office 2 days a week

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TheFluff posted:

there's a resume thread in bfc that's got some good advice for resumes in the op. the two basic key points that have worked for me are basically

1. have a blurb (like 3 sentences ish) at the top that matches some of the key points the ad says they're looking for, as closely as possible without outright lying. if the ad says "5 years experience with java" as its first requirement then your blurb should at the very least have something specifically about your java experience. this is to get past the first screening; most resumes are shitcanned by the time the reader gets to the end of this blurb, and it's common that the first screener isn't technical.

2. pick cool things you did that you can be specific about, and try to describe the value. don't write that you worked on optimizations, write that you root-caused and resolved performance issues, speeding up some critical part of the application by a gazillion percent and saving the company hundreds of thousands of dollars in hosting costs, or whatever. never lie, but don't undersell your individual effort by so much as a penny either. you never "help" or "contribute" to doing something, you either lead a project or you take ownership of a key part of it or whatever.

Thanks!

I can't remember their name, but there was a goon who worked at apple who used to mention her boss was a dick to her because she was trans. Hope she is doing well, but this sounds like it tracks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
think your talkin about jit bull transpile or the mumpstress, so named cuz her job before that was at epic doin mumps

so overall p bad career luck

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i remember there being two distinct posters who got shat on for being transwomen at apple but i could just be confusing the many namechanges that jit bull transpile got over the course of her illustrious posting career

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

i remember there being two distinct posters who got shat on for being transwomen at apple but i could just be confusing the many namechanges that jit bull transpile got over the course of her illustrious posting career

wasnt she also leftistmuslimobama

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yep

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Izzy (slurps) definitely complained about her time at Apple, I don't remember jitbull complaining -- at least not at the start, and wow I haven't seen her around in a while

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Xarn posted:

Izzy (slurps) definitely complained about her time at Apple, I don't remember jitbull complaining -- at least not at the start, and wow I haven't seen her around in a while

she asked for and did not get a perma during the rebellion against lowtax and she didn't appreciate jeffrey very much either, as the fyadposter jeffrey was

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jbts apple boss was, iirc, a misogynist but i don't remember her saying anything about him being transphobic. might be wrong tho

she should come back she was p cool

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

man I really don't want to put in the time to try and pass and apple interview if they're going to come in like the same as I currently make or 10% within that. I make 153k with 16% bonus(not guaranteed, has company performance modifiers, and modifiers based on your review) and 4 year vesting RSU that come out to like 5k a year for each lump of RSUs. does Apple Pay much above that for ICs? I'm mediocre af not some 10x dude but I would need like +40% to even consider leaving this job.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

KidDynamite posted:

man I really don't want to put in the time to try and pass and apple interview if they're going to come in like the same as I currently make or 10% within that. I make 153k with 16% bonus(not guaranteed, has company performance modifiers, and modifiers based on your review) and 4 year vesting RSU that come out to like 5k a year for each lump of RSUs. does Apple Pay much above that for ICs? I'm mediocre af not some 10x dude but I would need like +40% to even consider leaving this job.

yes apple pays more than this, even outside of SV

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

GenJoe posted:

yes apple pays more than this, even outside of SV

ok sweet that means I have to try. which isn't the mindstate I'm in right now but we'll get there.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

love to fill out background check for new job and check the box that a former employer of mine is defunct (basically acquired into oblivion but yeah)

so then it says “ok cool please attach W-2s or paystubs for this job you had in 2012” like anyone would still have that somewhere

also turns out I am a digital pack rat and actually managed to find the W-2s in some deep corner in dropbox

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

love to fill out background check for new job and check the box that a former employer of mine is defunct (basically acquired into oblivion but yeah)

so then it says “ok cool please attach W-2s or paystubs for this job you had in 2012” like anyone would still have that somewhere

also turns out I am a digital pack rat and actually managed to find the W-2s in some deep corner in dropbox
That exact thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Background check required W-2 for everything listed on resume 7 years or newer. Of course I lost the paperwork for the company I did contract work for that had merged and been acquired. After cold calling and emailing them a bunch I managed to get through to someone who remembered me and got me everything I needed.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Ardemia posted:

Was not promoted to mid level at review but likely will be promoted within a year to mid.

I have yet to negotiate my raise after the review.

Is asking for a 35% raise due to working in a legacy platform and doing it solo an unreasonable ask? The 35% raise would still put me lower than 90k.

Don't wait for your review cycle for this kind of thing. If your review comes in and your boss says "congrats I got you a 5% raise this year", then it's already a done deal. You can't really counter and say "lol how about 35%?"

If you want that kind of salary adjustment, do your research and find some comparable jobs that pay what you want. Then tell your boss something like:

"I feel like I've really grown, and am performing above the level of a junior engineer. I like working here and want to continue. Can we talk about promoting me from junior-level, and adjusting my salary to get closer to market rates?"

Don't wait for the review cycle. That's the _wrong_ time to ask for this kind of thing. Make sure your boss knows where you want to be at, ASAP.

If your boss says lol no, don't get mad or issue any ultimatums. Just start applying to the other jobs you found.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 14, 2021

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Poopernickel posted:

Don't wait for the review cycle. That's the _wrong_ time to ask for this kind of thing. Make sure your boss knows where you want to be at, ASAP.

hopefully you don’t end up like me where my boss went seamlessly from “it’s too early to talk about this” to “it’s too late to talk about this”

god i loving hate perf processes cargo-culted from google

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

raminasi posted:

hopefully you don’t end up like me where my boss went seamlessly from “it’s too early to talk about this” to “it’s too late to talk about this”

god i loving hate perf processes cargo-culted from google

For others reading - if your boss says "it's too early to talk about this", then follow up on it in a month, and in the month after, and in the month after.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

I set had to do one of them with the bonus of a defunct company in my past and I couldn't prove when I started my current job as it was 13 years ago and my contract was in my closed office. Fun times.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Poopernickel posted:

For others reading - if your boss says "it's too early to talk about this", then follow up on it in a month, and in the month after, and in the month after.

it happened over the course of a month lol

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Poopernickel posted:

Don't wait for your review cycle for this kind of thing. If your review comes in and your boss says "congrats I got you a 5% raise this year", then it's already a done deal.

Poopernickel posted:

Good advice ime.

raminasi posted:

it happened over the course of a month lol

What a good boss.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

We've just had a brilliant company-wide email that I can't really copy in here but the gist of it was - congratulations for promotion! Our senior IT guy is now going to be performing the duties of facility manager and work safety officer in addition to his normal duties.

Going by the fact that the only response was, paraphrased, "uhh that sounds like a lot for one person talk to us if you need help" from an HR manager I don't think most people saw it as a promotion.

But I don't really know the guy so YMMV, still thought it was pretty funny.

e: to be fair I think IT is probably a bit less busy these days due to covid and whatnot

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 14, 2021

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Steve Jorbs posted:

That exact thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Background check required W-2 for everything listed on resume 7 years or newer. Of course I lost the paperwork for the company I did contract work for that had merged and been acquired. After cold calling and emailing them a bunch I managed to get through to someone who remembered me and got me everything I needed.

yeah lesson learned on my part not to shred W-2s and such after 4 years just because the IRS doesn't want it past then

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I don't understand the W2 thing, why would they want to go back that far? As an employer especially???

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

KoRMaK posted:

I don't understand the W2 thing, why would they want to go back that far? As an employer especially???

so they know you're not lying about working there

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Private Speech posted:

so they know you're not lying about working there

and more importantly can skip the background check service or HR person making a lot of phone calls

i'm still kinda surprised when they actually call references myself

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh gently caress gently caress gently caress I just got an offer

Increase to 160% of my current salary for base, 185% if include the bonus.

I have an interview with a FAANG lite next week where their base starts at 185% increase of my current salary

The offering place told the recruiter that the offer is their best foot forward and is at the top of the range.

I have til Wednesday to make a decision

So now I gotta figure out, when do I tell my current job, how do I explore the faang lite while also keep this offer in my pocket, and should I ask for more figgies even tho they said they're at the top (I would assume they'd say that about any situation anyway)

loving excited panicking over ere!!!

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

Oh gently caress gently caress gently caress I just got an offer

Increase to 160% of my current salary for base, 185% if include the bonus.

I have an interview with a FAANG lite next week where their base starts at 185% increase of my current salary

The offering place told the recruiter that the offer is their best foot forward and is at the top of the range.

I have til Wednesday to make a decision

So now I gotta figure out, when do I tell my current job, how do I explore the faang lite while also keep this offer in my pocket, and should I ask for more figgies even tho they said they're at the top (I would assume they'd say that about any situation anyway)

loving excited panicking over ere!!!

Don't tell your current job anything until you've signed an offer.

Re: offer timing, you could probably be up-front and say "your offer's very attractive, I'm excited about your company for X, Y, and Z reasons. I have this other interview that got booked before you extended your offer, can I get back to you on Friday instead?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You can also say you've got other interviews lined up, but $xx will make you cancel them and sign the offer today.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

You can also say you've got other interviews lined up, but $xx will make you cancel them and sign the offer today.

This is good advice.

Based on your post, they might not be able to move on salary. But there could be some wiggle room with a signing bonus, or maybe with a stock grant or something.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 14, 2021

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

Don't wait for your review cycle for this kind of thing. If your review comes in and your boss says "congrats I got you a 5% raise this year", then it's already a done deal. You can't really counter and say "lol how about 35%?"

If you want that kind of salary adjustment, do your research and find some comparable jobs that pay what you want. Then tell your boss something like:

"I feel like I've really grown, and am performing above the level of a junior engineer. I like working here and want to continue. Can we talk about promoting me from junior-level, and adjusting my salary to get closer to market rates?"

If your boss says lol no, don't get mad or issue any ultimatums. Just start applying to the other jobs you found.

I agree with you on what the approach SHOULD be. They do not allow for increased compensation negotation at any other time other than a review, unless you're willing to threaten to quit on the spot for a raise, which I have seen happen successfully and unsuccessfully. I had previously asked for a review last October, which was already overdue by several months at that point. I completed my review paperwork, but my manager and department head never did. I had to take time off due to my grandfather dying from Covid, and during this I got an email from them that it would be rescheduled. 6 months later and after attrition hit my team hard they then scheduled my review.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Poopernickel posted:

Don't tell your current job anything until you've signed an offer.

Re: offer timing, you could probably be up-front and say "your offer's very attractive, I'm excited about your company for X, Y, and Z reasons. I have this other interview that got booked before you extended your offer, can I get back to you on Friday instead?"

silvergoose posted:

Poopernickel posted:

This is good advice.

Based on your post, they might not be able to move on salary. But there could be some wiggle room with a signing bonus, or maybe with a stock grant or something.
This is all great advice.

I may or may not listen to all of it, for better or worse.

First things first, I'm gonna roll the dice and put in my two weeks today, if the offer falls through I feel comfortable with my savings to support me. And with that security, it's just too loving delicious to quit on such a beautiful day. This will also have the effect of giving me more time in-between end of jobnow and start of jobnew. I have no intention of staying at current place, whether they match or raise the offer. I'm out

I don't think I can push back the decision deadline because I already tried for Friday with recruiter and given what they said I was convinced that compromising to Wednesday was fine, so I don't really feel comfortable going back and changing my word... too nice of me? I feel comfortable

I think I'm going to then see about them raising the figgies, don't know if I want to tell them I'd shut down the other interview for a bonus, but I would for a bump in base.

Then, I'll continue the interviews at faang-lite inside of the two weeks I have my current job, so the interviews should all probably be finished and an offer or not should be known by the end of my current jobs two weeks.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

First things first, I'm gonna roll the dice and put in my two weeks today, if the offer falls through I feel comfortable with my savings to support me. And with that security, it's just too loving delicious to quit on such a beautiful day. This will also have the effect of giving me more time in-between end of jobnow and start of jobnew. I have no intention of staying at current place, whether they match or raise the offer. I'm out

Act in haste, repent at leisure.