Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ugh 40 minute unpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
gently caress I was planning on at least creating a character before work

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

l

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Agh I'm getting too hyped to replay ME, and it's not unpacking yet Gaben you coward

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I played it as dude shep the first time and I'm finding lady shep to be much, much better in tone and delivery. Seems like a cooler character overall.

Meer is very flat in the first game, gets better in 2, is doing a great job by 3. Hale is just delivering a fantastic performance for the entire trilogy.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
I never played 3, but I played 1 and 2 a shitload after college. what's the actual gameplay improvements like? Most of the discussion is about visuals so I assume the ME1 gameplay is mostly the same?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you equip / change powers in mass effect 1?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I hate to say it, but the gameplay changes in 1 feel off. It's neither 1 or 2, but a strange mix of the two that doesn't go far enough in either direction. Aiming is easier but using powers and snapping to cover feels more clunky than either original game. The distance at which you can actually target an enemy is also bizarrely short, so it's simply not possible to command your squad to use powers on enemies at medium range in a lot of cases.

The enemy AI used to be stupid but straightforward too, and now it just sits down without popping back up for a REAL long time, or stands still in the open but super far from combat.

I also think they should have changed sprinting on consoles from a button-based thing to something that simply kicks in the further you press the analog stick, but that's more of a personal preference.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The most important question is can you still send people into orbit with lift?

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Haven't seen it mentioned but this is available on EA Play Pro (the more expensive option not on Steam). Maybe a better option if you are only planning on playing once.

Also this defaulted to my laptop Intel graphics and not the Nvidia, worth checking if you are on a laptop.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Stupid Decisions posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned but this is available on EA Play Pro (the more expensive option not on Steam). Maybe a better option if you are only planning on playing once.

Also this defaulted to my laptop Intel graphics and not the Nvidia, worth checking if you are on a laptop.

Yeah this is the option I went with. It'd take 4 months to equal the retail price, you get access to a bunch more games, and after 4-5 months they'll probably vault it and it'll be in either the $5 tier and/or in Xbox Gamepass.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

majestic12 posted:

I never played 3, but I played 1 and 2 a shitload after college. what's the actual gameplay improvements like? Most of the discussion is about visuals so I assume the ME1 gameplay is mostly the same?

The big change in 1, other combat mechanics were also changed of course to make it snappier, is that all classes can actually use all 4 guns. You can't level them up without the appropriate tree but you can snipe people/use an assault rifle and actually hit the enemy which I think will make a lot of the classes feel more fleshed out.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I'm going to plan on being super mean to Joker for no reason. Paragon otherwise, just specifically hating that gently caress. Should be fun!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DourCricket posted:

The big change in 1, other combat mechanics were also changed of course to make it snappier, is that all classes can actually use all 4 guns. You can't level them up without the appropriate tree but you can snipe people/use an assault rifle and actually hit the enemy which I think will make a lot of the classes feel more fleshed out.

Yeah, this is the best change by far and lol that it will make me2 feel lame in comparison if you're a class that gets a pistol and an smg

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Had to tweak it ever so slightly, but my old Shepcode - virtually unchanged from my very first ME1 FemShep playthrough - is still good.

7T3.KIF.GA8.J8C.EDB.1CU.6L8.721.F97.4I6.2D6.154.B

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Custom sheps now appear to be sorta-human beings like the rest of the cast

$60 justified

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DourCricket posted:

Custom sheps now appear to be sorta-human beings like the rest of the cast

Where's the fun in that?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else getting these sort of micro stutters in ME1? I've updated my display drivers and my system is way more than capable of handling the game. in fact, the frame rate stays well above 60, but there's this noticeable stutter here and there when turning the camera. Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sombrerotron posted:

Had to tweak it ever so slightly, but my old Shepcode - virtually unchanged from my very first ME1 FemShep playthrough - is still good.

oh man that is a very good lookin' Shep you got there :)

It's kinda crazy how well the pre rendered cutscenes have aged. They still look literally better than most movies

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I always think I might do something different but I always like the Colonist/War Hero background for Shepard

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bobjr posted:

I always think I might do something different but I always like the Colonist/War Hero background for Shepard

Yup, that's my background of choice, too.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Really seems like everyone sucks but Garrus and Wrex. Am I missing anything if I say gently caress everyone else?

Should I try to rotate for story reasons?

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Spacers get an email from their mom :colbert:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

bobjr posted:

I did a playthrough last summer as an orphan / sole survivor engineer. I had a lot of fun roleplaying her as the nerd who survived by macgiyvering old junk for a street gang in the slums until she turned 18 and promptly enlisted to gtfo. Shame about the Akuze tour.

dreffen posted:

Really seems like everyone sucks but Garrus and Wrex. Am I missing anything if I say gently caress everyone else?

Garrus and Wrex are the best bro squad. If I'm doing a Liara romance I may bring her along because that sorta makes narrative sense.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm gonna yoink this code

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

dreffen posted:

One of the key things to learn about ME is that the human companions kind of suck. The aliens all have much more unique personalities/backstories/interactions.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Man the eyes in this are real hosed up huh lmao

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jack is fun and I have a soft spot for James, but overall it's the aliens who are going to be your best friends.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

dreffen posted:

Tali is cool and if you go heavy biotic, she picks up the tech slack.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

bobjr posted:

Probably my favorite combo, just because the ME1 Colonist quest is deeply moving stuff, and War Hero seemed the best justification for “this person should be a Spectre” (plus they pair nicely; attacked by slavers then grew up to kick their asses).

majestic12 posted:

Spacers get an email from their mom :colbert:

Spacer gets my nod for second favorite for avoiding the “orphan cliche” though, particularly considering there’s a definite “learned to be badass from Mom” vibe there. Always was kind of amused with my Spacer Sheppard who romanced Liara imagining her mom and Liara’s father meeting and proceeding to give their kids as much parental embarrassment as possible.

dreffen posted:

Only major “for story reason” choice in ME1 that really made a difference to me is being sure to bring Liara to meet her mother on Noveria. Otherwise you can kind of get away with any combination so long as it works in combat and you have somebody for locks.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else getting these sort of micro stutters in ME1? I've updated my display drivers and my system is way more than capable of handling the game. in fact, the frame rate stays well above 60, but there's this noticeable stutter here and there when turning the camera. Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Might be placebo or coincidence, but it feels like I got rid of that after setting an FPS cap ingame.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GhostDog posted:

Might be placebo or coincidence, but it feels like I got rid of that after setting an FPS cap.

I'll try that. I had it set to vsync, then disabled vsync and tried some caps. I'll see what's what.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Check in with all of your squad after every main mission just so you get to know them - and most have a quest associated with them that you'll want to do. Everyone will stay important through the whole trilogy

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Simone Magus posted:

oh man that is a very good lookin' Shep you got there :)

It's kinda crazy how well the pre rendered cutscenes have aged. They still look literally better than most movies
Thanks, always been rather pleased with her - although looking at the original is kind of difficult now.

Regarding the cutscenes, I believe they re-rendered them all anew at 4K with updated models and such, so that probably helps. They've always been extremely cinematic, though, and some of the in-engine cutscenes still stand up I believe. I always felt the entire finale, and especially the moment when (spoiled for the handful of goons who never played ME1) Shepard emerges from the rubble, could be translated 1:1 to the big screen if you threw a bit of money at it.

dreffen posted:

Depends on what you mean by "sucks". In terms of personality, Garrus and Wrex probably are the most interesting in ME1, yeah, and storywise there isn't really any reason to bring others along for the most part. Exceptions might be Noveria and Ilos; it kind of makes sense to bring Liara to both. In terms of powers and effectiveness, can't go wrong with Garrus and Wrex, but Liara and Tali can prove highly useful too. Ashley's a good bullet sponge alternative to Wrex, though not that much fun otherwise. Ultimately, it depends in no small part on what class you're playing and how you want to balance your squad.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I did a playthrough last summer as an orphan / sole survivor engineer. I had a lot of fun roleplaying her as the nerd who survived by macgiyvering old junk for a street gang in the slums until she turned 18 and promptly enlisted to gtfo. Shame about the Akuze tour.
A neat little thing about choosing Sole Survivor is that in ME2, you'll get called out on teaming up with Cerberus as they were actually behind that attack.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
I'm in need of an upgrade, I'm on a 7600k with a 1070. The recommended specs made me pause whether I should get it on PC or PS5, so I'm gonna wait for some benchmarks/feedback to come out before I pull the trigger. Legit can't wait to do an ME2 insanity run as vanguard, without charge and using SMGs only.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Subbz posted:

I'm in need of an upgrade, I'm on a 7600k with a 1070. The recommended specs made me pause whether I should get it on PC or PS5, so I'm gonna wait for some benchmarks/feedback to come out before I pull the trigger. Legit can't wait to do an ME2 insanity run as vanguard, without charge and using SMGs only.

For what it's worth, on a 7700k/1080 on Eden Prime I'm at ~40% GPU load on 1440p/60. I doubt you would have issues with your machine.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Thank you for the answers everyone! That is good to know all around.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
always roll with a krogan

its another of me3's grave sins

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

dreffen posted:

Thank you for the answers everyone! That is good to know all around.
Also it's not really a factor in ME1 because it's much harder to tell what you're going up against, but in ME2 and 3 you'll be able to make at least an educated guess about what sort of enemies you'll be fighting, and can bring squads to compensate. For example, if you have reason to believe you'll be seeing Geth, you probably want to bring along Tali, since she fucks robots up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Really happy I bought a new SSD recently because 100 GB for this is bananas.

For once I am going to play manshep (almost always play as women, when available) and make it look like me as I finally play a Renegade through all three games.