Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Never played, heading to Best Buy for the steel book. Male Shepherd or female Shepherd? Who has a better voice actor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LionArcher posted:

Never played, heading to Best Buy for the steel book. Male Shepherd or female Shepherd? Who has a better voice actor?

I like Meer for paragon and Hale for renegade

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
As someone who only ever played Soldier I'm thinking of doing the following for each game so I can get a feel for all the classes. Can anyone tell me if this is the optimal way to distribute stuff?

1) Adept
2) Vanguard (ME2 is the Always Be Charging game right?)
3) Infiltrator? Sentinel? Engineer? (Not sure here)

LionArcher posted:

FemShep is the most consistent throughout, Maleshep is pretty flat in ME1 but Meer got better as a VA as time goes on.

I prefer FemShep but it's up to you.

If romances matter to you, there aren't any same-sex romances until ME3 so if you want to romance certain male or female characters in ME1 or ME2 keep that in mind.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 14, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is it a pain in the rear end to get max Renegade in ME1 without a guide, and does maxing it matter?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

Is it a pain in the rear end to get max Renegade in ME1 without a guide, and does maxing it matter?

I don't remember maxing either being a pain, but ME1 is I think the one game where it does matter as you need to accumulate enough points if you want to do the talky ending to the game instead of fighting it out.

But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter too much really I don't think? If you just go one way most of the time you should get enough points usually, or at least that's what I remember from my last play through 5 years ago

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RaySmuckles posted:

always roll with a krogan

its another of me3's grave sins

James Vega's fursona is Krogan

5er
Jun 1, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

I like Meer for paragon and Hale for renegade

Mass Effect's definitely a game you should plan on playing twice, as general advice for anyone reading. I also prefer maleshep for paragon & femshep for renegade runs. The game really ropes you into choosing one morality path for dialog or the other, there is no benefit to, and only punishment for flip-flopping between the options. Hale is so good at 'menacing badass', I definitely advocate Jane for renegade runs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

axeil posted:

As someone who only ever played Soldier I'm thinking of doing the following for each game so I can get a feel for all the classes. Can anyone tell me if this is the optimal way to distribute stuff?

1) Adept

Sounds decent. I always play Adept because I prefer loads of magic ragdolls in my shootymans game but this time I'm gonna do something different...

...maybe

probably not.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

axeil posted:

1) Adept

you might consider vanguard for me3 since that's also ABC but you also get the cooldown weight bonus + nova + wpn mods + misc gameplay improvements

quote:

If romances matter to you, there aren't any same-sex romances until ME3 so if you want to romance certain male or female characters in ME1 or ME2 keep that in mind.

liara for femmeshep in me1?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

LionArcher posted:

Generally speaking, people tend to prefer Jennifer Hale. I'm not sure whether her voice acting's better per se in the series, but her approach was a little different from Mark Meer's and that tends to work in her favour. He basically tried to play a dutiful soldier and so as axeil also mentioned he tends to sound slightly flat, Hale's put some more emotion into it - especially in ME2, where her basic attitude was "I'm tired of this poo poo". I don't care too much either way, I just have a slight preference for playing a hard-as-nails lady.

axeil posted:

1) Adept
Classes in ME1 play so differently from ME2 and ME3, if only because of how powers/abilities work, that it's hard to really compare it to anything. Although Adept is extremely powerful in ME1, I found it more enjoyable in ME2 and ME3 because it requires a little more thought and skill (although that goes for all other classes too, I think). Taking Soldier out of the equation, I'd actually suggest being an Infiltrator in ME1 - apart from not being able to go into stealth and there being no zoom-in slow-mo, it's not radically different from the experience in ME2 or ME3. Vanguard's so unlike all the other classes that you'll definitely want to play it in either ME2 or ME3. For variety, you'll probably want to round it out with Engineer (which I think would be the most rewarding in ME3).

fadam posted:

Just pick the red options and regularly stick points in your Intimidation skill and it won't be very difficult to max it out. You should focus on either Renegade or Paragon for the "best" dialogue options, though; mixing them is possible, but you may not be able to make certain checks if you do (although one particular check, on Feros, is notoriously hard to get even if you're consistent about picking the right options and skill upgrades - or at least it was, maybe it's been changed in the LE).

hard counter posted:

There's also Kelly in ME2.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sombrerotron posted:

There's also Kelly in ME2.

if we're counting kelly you can also make your squadmates watch you embrace eternity with the asari consort in me1

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hard counter posted:

if we're counting kelly you can also make your squadmates watch you embrace eternity with the asari consort in me1

"I should go"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

hard counter posted:

I suppose although technically the Asari are monogender so I have no idea if that really "counts"

I'm really hopeful based on the tidbits the modding community has found so far that there's a working same-sex relationship mod by the time I get to ME2. Dating Ashley/Kaiden in ME1 is sort of meh to me so I don't care but the options in ME2 are way more interesting (iirc its Jack and Jacob)

Sombrerotron posted:

Classes in ME1 play so differently from ME2 and ME3, if only because of how powers/abilities work, that it's hard to really compare it to anything. Although Adept is extremely powerful in ME1, I found it more enjoyable in ME2 and ME3 because it requires a little more thought and skill (although that goes for all other classes too, I think). Taking Soldier out of the equation, I'd actually suggest being an Infiltrator in ME1 - apart from not being able to go into stealth and there being no zoom-in slow-mo, it's not radically different from the experience in ME2 or ME3. Vanguard's so unlike all the other classes that you'll definitely want to play it in either ME2 or ME3. For variety, you'll probably want to round it out with Engineer (which I think would be the most rewarding in ME3).

Awesome, thank you for the advice!

I think I'll go Adept->Vanguard->Engineer then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hard counter posted:

Excuse me, Asari aren't female.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

axeil posted:

Dating Ashley/Kaiden in ME1 is sort of meh to me so I don't care but the options in ME2 are way more interesting (iirc its Jack and Jacob)

In what world is Jacob interesting

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

hard counter posted:

Oh that reminds me! There's also the option to romance Morinth in ME2 if you play your cards right wrong. Real barrel of laughs, that!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Awesome, thank you for the advice!

I think I'll go Adept->Vanguard->Engineer then.

my only complaint is that adept and engineer are in their very essence essentially the same

both their class power serve to lock enemies into place. yes, the adepts can take that to another level with shield-stripped soldiers and combo-ing with warp, but once the shields are stripped its always just as easy to kill as it is to do an elaborate combo. (though, yes, there is a great satisfaction to warp-exploding floating enemies).

sure, some of their secondary powers are different, but ultimately (in me2 at least) its always better to just spam your class power

i'd go adept first too, though. its still really fun

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks thread. Female shepherd it is!

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/app/1328670/

hahahaha

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sombrerotron posted:

Oh that reminds me! There's also the option to romance Morinth in ME2 if you play your cards right wrong. Real barrel of laughs, that!

Critical Mission Failure Success

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Chatika with the party hat gets a :legion: from me!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm tempted to deny letting Garrus join my crew in 1 to hear what his dialogue is like in 2 when he shows up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
it's so weird that steam will let you buy everything except the emotes without buying the game. But to get emotes you have to buy and play the game for 2 hours..

I

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Still torn if I want to get this on Steam or for XBOX. I've got a really solid PC and Ultrawide but seeing some reports that the PC version has framerate and controller issues.

Any goons here have any issues on PC? Honestly can't tell if they're legit issues or if it's just the usual "steam users are inept and blame the game for being inept".

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I'm tempted to deny letting Garrus join my crew in 1 to hear what his dialogue is like in 2 when he shows up.

to my eternal shame, in my first me2 playthrough i didn't open the grunt tank.

i figured, "if there is a choice, then there must be a consequence, and the ship just warned me that it might be dangerous." i thought i was such hot poo poo. turns out there are virtually no negative consequences in the game

i wish there were more consequences. characters that could betray you, or turn against you, or sabotage you. that stuff could have been so interesting. there was so much promise in the first two games of the series.

instead in the end virtually nothing mattered and everything only counted toward some stupid "readiness score" in 3.

for shame

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

All right, so, I'm having a little trouble over here. Before first launching the LE, I was a little worried about how my aging i7-4790 / GTX 970 setup would handle the LE. To my pleasant surprise, it seems to basically do perfectly well, maintaining about a constant 60 fps at 1920x1080 in dialogue and cutscenes with dynamic lights and ambient occlusion on. And initially when walking around, it does so too. Even when approaching the little pond with the new reflections on Eden Prime, it's fine - until suddenly it's not. For some reason, and this happens on the Normandy as well, after maybe two minutes of faffing about the framerate drops dramatically and then swings around wildly from 20-40 fps. If I exit the game and reload it's fine again for a little bit, then it's back to headache-inducing framerates. Tried switching off all the graphical enhancements and v-sync, tried disabling Origin's overlay, no difference. Running the latest Geforce drivers, so unless they introduced some bug that shouldn't be it either. Any other ideas?

EDIT: I should also add that when I enter another dialogue or a cutscene starts, the framerate's smooth again. It really seems tied specifically to the actual gameplay.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 14, 2021

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

my only complaint is that adept and engineer are in their very essence essentially the same

both their class power serve to lock enemies into place. yes, the adepts can take that to another level with shield-stripped soldiers and combo-ing with warp, but once the shields are stripped its always just as easy to kill as it is to do an elaborate combo. (though, yes, there is a great satisfaction to warp-exploding floating enemies).

sure, some of their secondary powers are different, but ultimately (in me2 at least) its always better to just spam your class power

i'd go adept first too, though. its still really fun

There's more to Adept than that in ME2, you can strip one enemy's defenses then Singularity them and use Thane or Miranda's Warp to trigger the combo and strip defenses from all their buddies. Your other physics powers are also effectively instakills on undefended enemies, because they ragdoll for so long that you can easily SMG them while they're flopping, and all have much shorter cooldowns than Warp so they don't leave you defenseless while recharging. They also make defended enemies flinch for a second, which you can use to set up damage on them or defend yourself in a pinch.

Using your own Warp is usually a weak option on Insanity, it's very inefficient compared to getting instant Warp combos that you set up with Singularity. Sometimes you have to do it, but only if the circumstances are bad enough that you can't crack into the group with a Warp combo.

Engineer in ME2 really is just "a series of damage abilities that share a cooldown + drone" though, which is sad.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Handsome Ralph posted:

Still torn if I want to get this on Steam or for XBOX. I've got a really solid PC and Ultrawide but seeing some reports that the PC version has framerate and controller issues.

Any goons here have any issues on PC? Honestly can't tell if they're legit issues or if it's just the usual "steam users are inept and blame the game for being inept".

I've a friend who is playing the steam version now and says its fine so far

And you really gonna pass up Ultrawide?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I fired up ME3 Classic to grab the face code for my main Shepard who's been imported all the way from the first game. Which gave me... this.

Fortunately all the facial structure stuff seems to be mostly good, so it just took some skin and hair tweaking to make it a little less, uh, blackface-y.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I just played through Eden Prime, runs fine for me on whatever default settings it starts with. Haven't tried a controller though.

The one graphical glitch I've seen was Kaidan disappearing during the final cutscene on Eden Prime, so Shepard bravely runs over and throws nothing out of the way before getting zapped by the beacon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The one graphical glitch I've seen was Kaidan disappearing during the final cutscene on Eden Prime

Sounds like a feature to me.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DourCricket posted:

I've a friend who is playing the steam version now and says its fine so far

And you really gonna pass up Ultrawide?

Yeah, it's a tough call. I was ready to slam the purchase button on the Steam version this morning but then heard the cut scenes all have black bars on ultrawide which is kinda annoying. Then I saw some reports about controler issues and frames being odd. I'll ponder it more while I finish up my work week.

Also the Xbox version is ten dollars cheaper :shrug:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I fired up ME3 Classic to grab the face code for my main Shepard who's been imported all the way from the first game. Which gave me... this.

Fortunately all the facial structure stuff seems to be mostly good, so it just took some skin and hair tweaking to make it a little less, uh, blackface-y.

The ultra-dark skin happened to me as well. Lipstick colour was also a bit unpleasant, but other than that the code worked quite well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not awkward enough and he's clearly having too much fun.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Those seem like some really half-assed wallpapers even by Steam's low standards.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked it up on steam but I'm having a dumb controller issue. In at least ME1, it thinks that the X and A buttons are swapped on my Xbone controller and I don't see a way to rebind. This is annoying enough that if it doesn't have an easy fix I'm going to refund and buy on PS5.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Steam has built in controller config options doesn't it? In the overlay. You can swap buttons around. It works on my Elite 2 at least

Also how you gonna come in here right after I said the steam version was fine how dare you

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Sombrerotron posted:

All right, so, I'm having a little trouble over here. Before first launching the LE, I was a little worried about how my aging i7-4790 / GTX 970 setup would handle the LE. To my pleasant surprise, it seems to basically do perfectly well, maintaining about a constant 60 fps at 1920x1080 in dialogue and cutscenes with dynamic lights and ambient occlusion on. And initially when walking around, it does so too. Even when approaching the little pond with the new reflections on Eden Prime, it's fine - until suddenly it's not. For some reason, and this happens on the Normandy as well, after maybe two minutes of faffing about the framerate drops dramatically and then swings around wildly from 20-40 fps. If I exit the game and reload it's fine again for a little bit, then it's back to headache-inducing framerates. Tried switching off all the graphical enhancements and v-sync, tried disabling Origin's overlay, no difference. Running the latest Geforce drivers, so unless they introduced some bug that shouldn't be it either. Any other ideas?

EDIT: I should also add that when I enter another dialogue or a cutscene starts, the framerate's smooth again. It really seems tied specifically to the actual gameplay.

Long shot, but do you have a controller or controller receiver connected while playing with M+KB? Once in a while a game comes along that can't stop polling USB devices.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Is there anyway to retrieve your face code after you’ve started playing the game? I was wondering because I thought I’d share my Disney Princess Shepard.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
oh gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/masseffect_peom/status/1393281544685506567?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So if they took the picture from a stock photo model before this one is obviously going to be taken from Deviant Art.