Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laopooh posted:

I am interested in some doges to use the scant remainder of my bidenbux on. Where should I forward my payment info?

(I do want to buy a few, dunno where to get them though and goons are infinitely better than google so I thought I'd ask ^^)

don't buy crypto, dummy. light the money on fire instead, it will at least be fun for others to watch and it will be less damaging for the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Elon Musk

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Laopooh posted:

I am interested in some doges to use the scant remainder of my bidenbux on. Where should I forward my payment info?

(I do want to buy a few, dunno where to get them though and goons are infinitely better than google so I thought I'd ask ^^)

Sure thing, I just need your social security number, a copy of your driver's license, and your credit card information as well as the security code on the back

the most trusted place to get bitcoin is Coinbase atm. You should be careful though because bitcoin will be taxable income very soon.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't understand how any of these people trading crypto are managing to do their taxes. It seems like every more of a goddamn nightmare than taxes usually are.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

orange juche posted:

don't buy crypto, dummy. light the money on fire instead, it will at least be fun for others to watch and it will be less damaging for the environment.

I know, dude. Crypto is dumb af and I loathe Apartheid Clyde with as much ardor as I can muster. I just thought I'd scrounge some bucks from bazingas with a few spare dollarydoos.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ccs posted:

I don't understand how any of these people trading crypto are managing to do their taxes. It seems like every more of a goddamn nightmare than taxes usually are.

yes, but have you tried just ignoring all that?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'll agree that coinbase has the most to lose, but they also don't sell doge likely for related reasons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Laopooh posted:

im the most trusted bit coin exchanger on this site ;;;;^^

i only operate in transactions of at least $120,000 and i take a 30% intermediary's fee <3

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Laopooh posted:

imagine buying a 2000 regdate account to fit in with the kids olds

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fur20 posted:

im the most trusted bit coin exchanger on this site ;;;;^^

i only operate in transactions of at least $120,000 and i take a 30% intermediary's fee <3

What is 30% of moon

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Ccs posted:

Doing crypto taxes is only a nightmare if you bother to do your crypto taxes right. I figure there's a handful who are paying a CPA a lot to figure it out, another chunk of people who are trying to do it themselves and mucking it all up (but hey, at least they tried, that does actually matter somewhat to the IRS), and a fair amount people who just aren't bothering to report their crypto stuff at all.

I'm sure all of the Americans in the thread already know this because they're all good tax-paying citizens who definitely haven't procrastinated until the deadline which is now three days away, but... the 1040 actually has a new line on it this year that explicitly asks "did you touch the poop yes/no", and I can't wait for the comedy dividends that simple question will pay months and years down the road.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tehinternet posted:

What is 30% of moon

moc

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

imagine buying a 2000 regdate account to fit in with the kids olds

Lol dude I don't follow this thread. I just kramered in to :justpost: don't be mean to an OG (old goon)

(I'll sell my regdate for a few GoonCoins and a dry handy)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Laopooh posted:

Lol dude I don't follow this thread. I just kramered in to :justpost: don't be mean to an OG (old goon)

(I'll sell my regdate for a few GoonCoins and a dry handy)

Whenever somebody is talking about how good bitcoins are or how cool the blockchain is just replace the buzzwords with "clownpeniscoins" and everything makes a lot more sense

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Have you considered buying a bunch of tree saplings and planting them in random places in your locality instead?

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
i am the bitcoin

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

I'll agree that coinbase has the most to lose, but they also don't sell doge likely for related reasons.

:lol:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1392949997428215812

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

HIJK posted:

bitcoin will be taxable income very soon.

sales tax on crypto when

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Lamebot posted:

Have you considered buying a bunch of tree saplings and planting them in random places in your locality instead?

No, because I'm poor. I do have a nice garden though

I grew some seeds too, gonna plant them today!

I'll see myself out, just came in for some info.

Bonus backyard bunny

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
They actually added the crypto question to the 1040 in 2019. Also you can try to not report, but if your exchange deals in actual dollars instead of just tetherbux, they're required to report it for you. You still have to claim it on your taxes, but the IRS knows you got money and will be looking for it on your return.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it doesn't look like chia is slowing down so :rip: storage prices i guess

they're approaching 5 million terabytes now

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what a loving waste

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bram cohen has dedicated his life to filling up hard drives in any way possible

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

blunt posted:

Are you really even a captain of industry if you're not poisoning drinking water? :iiam:

Too ambitious. I hope to be a Staff Sargent of Industry.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

priznat posted:

Instead of solving Sudokus to buy heroin you are now storing Sudokus to buy heroin.

Copied. Great response.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Winged Orpheus posted:

They actually added the crypto question to the 1040 in 2019. Also you can try to not report, but if your exchange deals in actual dollars instead of just tetherbux, they're required to report it for you. You still have to claim it on your taxes, but the IRS knows you got money and will be looking for it on your return.
oh yeah, them and what funding? :perjury:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Paladinus posted:

“the wonderful crypto community”

:bang:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I'm the guy who spends his time saying "HOLY poo poo BITCOIN SUCKS".

so uh, don't put any money in you can't afford to set on fire. Because you might as well be.

Crypto trading is unregulated and full of sharks. You are their chum.

hbag in this thread apparently actually makes money on this BS - as compared to all the bozos who lie that they're making money on this bs - but he's probably failing his comp sci degree watching candles on price charts.

for you, I will give you my book. here it is from the author-supported download site. please at least glance at it before setting your money on fire.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zamujasa posted:

self-regulating slow turd

Killer Username there. Also the title of my BioPunk novel on Amuskon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Speaking of sharks: they're circling Binance.

quote:

Multiple US agencies probing world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange
The IRS, DOJ, and CFTC are looking at potential criminal violations.

Binance, the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange, is under investigation by a laundry list of US government agencies, including the US Justice Department, the Internal Revenue Service, and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, according to a report by Bloomberg. The agencies are probing Binance for potential criminal violations, the report says, though the company has not been accused of any wrongdoing.

The investigations come on the heels of a report by Chainalysis that traced $2.8 billion worth of illicit bitcoin on exchange and trading platforms. Of that, $756 million went through Binance. Most of the suspect accounts received small amounts, but the majority of the illicit cryptocurrency flowed to a few hundred accounts that received between $100,000 to $100 million. Government officials are said to be focused on money laundering and tax evasion.

The recent ransomware attack on the Colonial Pipeline that led to gasoline shortages has sharpened the focus on cryptocurrencies’ role in illegal activities. In that case, it's reported that Colonial paid the attackers $5 million to return control of the pipeline’s operations. In another, a ransomware gang recently posted personnel records from District of Columbia’s Metropolitan Police Department after the department didn’t cave to their demands of a $4 million ransom. The group, known as Babuk, is behind other ransomware attacks and frequently requests payment in bitcoin.
Among cryptocurrency exchanges, Binance is a giant. In the last 24 hours, over $60 billion in trades flowed through Binance, more than triple its nearest competitor, Huobi, and far outpacing the US-domiciled Coinbase. Binance has risen quickly since its founding by CEO Changpeng Zhao in 2017 in Hong Kong. Today, the company is incorporated in the Cayman Islands and has an office in Singapore but reports that it has no official headquarters.

IRS agents have been investigating Binance for months, Bloomberg reports, and they are apparently scrutinizing both account holders and employees of the company. The CFTC is looking into whether Binance allowed Americans to trade illegally on the platform—US residents cannot trade cryptocurrency derivatives unless the company offering them is registered with the agency. And the Justice Department has reportedly assigned the investigation to its bank integrity unit, which handles particularly complex cases.

This isn’t the first time Binance’s name has appeared in criminal probes. Earlier this year, the company appeared in two separate criminal cases, though it was not accused of wrongdoing in either. In one case, in February, two Florida men were caught running an online fentanyl ring, and prosecutors alleged that one deposited the proceeds into a Binance account. In the other, federal prosecutors demanded the forfeiture of nearly $450,000 in cryptocurrencies held by a 20-year-old Ukranian, who had exchanged the bitcoin for Tether, the cryptocurrency that was formerly pegged to the dollar.

Another cryptocurrency exchange, BitMEX, was charged in October for violating the Bank Secrecy Act. The exchange allegedly allowed thousands of US customers to trade on the exchange even though the company claimed they could not. Three company officials have pleaded not guilty and a fourth is still at large.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/binance-the-biggest-cryptocurrency-exchange-reportedly-under-investigation/

Kinda gross that it took an oil pipeline getting ransomwared to finally get the US government to start choking off crypto when plenty of schools, hospitals, police departments and the Fortune 500 have all been hit, but I'll take what I can get.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

USD for poo poo

:bitcoin:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

If you do have to touch the poop, you wait till no one cares about poop, grab a handful of it, fill up a sock, and stash it somewhere for a few years until touching poop becomes trendy again.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stealthgerbil posted:

If you do have to touch the poop, you wait till no one cares about poop, grab a handful of it, fill up a sock, and stash it somewhere for a few years until touching poop becomes trendy again.

I’ve literally lost a few years of my life in places that cater (read: “treat”) to this clientele. It never really becomes trendy…💩

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Shumagorath posted:

Speaking of sharks: they're circling Binance.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/binance-the-biggest-cryptocurrency-exchange-reportedly-under-investigation/

Kinda gross that it took an oil pipeline getting ransomwared to finally get the US government to start choking off crypto when plenty of schools, hospitals, police departments and the Fortune 500 have all been hit, but I'll take what I can get.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/05/darkside-ransomware-gang-quits-after-servers-bitcoin-stash-seized/

The group behind the oil pipeline attack already has the net closing around them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Quick throw pennies at the attackers!

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 14, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fukkin lol

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1393338376791658497?s=21

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stealthgerbil posted:

Or don’t touch the poop because tether just revealed it’s literally under 4% backed by actual liquid currency.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

spunkshui posted:

Or don’t touch the poop because tether just revealed it’s literally under 4% backed by actual liquid currency.
the vanguard federal money fund has 0.000003.5% cash holdings (out of 64.7% liquid holdings) so harping about the 4% is just clickbait

(the vanguard federal money fund also reports its portfolio holdings to the SEC and retains an auditor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Gazpacho posted:

the vanguard federal money fund has 0.000003.5% cash holdings (out of 64.7% liquid holdings) so harping about the 4% is just clickbait

(the vanguard federal money fund also reports its portfolio holdings to the SEC and retains an auditor)

Is that the same federal government that issues currency?

E: misread that but comparing any financial institution to Bitcoin is uh

Yeah

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 15, 2021