Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

I enjoy the other one being "wins and losses don't matter"

Said by the same guy who held up Goldberg as an example of how things should be done, no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Oh FFS.

1. Saying "they still think almost every match on TV has to be some 10-15 minute classic" as if 10-15 minutes is remotely long for a TV match is an amazing case of WWE brain worms. Especially since the best periods of the three hour Raw era have all been built around 15-20 minute matches.
2. "Companies generally fail because they try to be something too different than WWE, usually by catering to the small 10% of the audience that loves work rate more than storylines" is just...not true? TNA's business peak was when they made a concerted effort to be less like WWE.
3. However, "they align with...some international promotion like NJPW that virtually nobody in the States cares about" is even more ahistorical than that because WCW HAD A WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH NJPW FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THE MONDAY NIGHT WAR. Something that was literally brought up on Dynamite this week in the context of Yuji Nagata's learning excursion. Never mind that the cruiserweight division's variety with talent from AAA, CMLL, Promo Azteca, NJPW, and WAR was a piece of the puzzle that led to WCW having the most financially successful year IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING up to that point.

loving brain worms....

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

1. Saying "they still think almost every match on TV has to be some 10-15 minute classic" as if 10-15 minutes is remotely long for a TV match is an amazing case of WWE brain worms. Especially since the best periods of the three hour Raw era have all been built around 15-20 minute matches.

Maybe the last truly popular era of WWE was that 2012-14 window built around the Shield and Daniel Bryan putting on TV clinics every week. If you wanna be generous, maybe 2016 Smackdown with AJ Styles on top. NXT built a devoted following by just having great matches with no bullshit. Good wrestling still draws, despite what the Vincels will have you believe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's also kind of wrong because AEW has plenty of matches, even sometimes on Dynamite, which are foregone conclusions? You know when the title card is "Britt Baker in action" that she's going to beat up someone who's mostly at jobber level, and that's fine, the jobber gets to show off a little and maybe later we'll see her as a legit contender. But they stage it in a way that's at least fun.

Like they definitely do short matches when they want to, they're just mostly on Elevation and Dark.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's also kind of wrong because AEW has plenty of matches, even sometimes on Dynamite, which are foregone conclusions? You know when the title card is "Britt Baker in action" that she's going to beat up someone who's mostly at jobber level, and that's fine, the jobber gets to show off a little and maybe later we'll see her as a legit contender. But they stage it in a way that's at least fun.

Like they definitely do short matches when they want to, they're just mostly on Elevation and Dark.

remember when they swerved us with the X in Action by doing it with Anna Jay in Action and had a whole amazing hype video of this working girl following her dreams and then her opponent was ABADDON

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Maxwell Lord posted:

As recently as the April 21 Dynamite you had a show where literally every match on the card was a foregone conclusion, but nobody minded because most of the matches were great.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This may be a hot take, but I actually like that a lot of AEW matches are predictable because it makes the upsets a lot more shocking when they do happen.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've genuinely really enjoyed AEW's approach to their booking where they set up an obvious result, but the promos and segments leading up to the match make you think they'll do the non-obvious thing. Realistically, was Eddie going to beat Mox for the title at Full Gear? No, but I thought it could happen going into the match.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Benne posted:

Maybe the last truly popular era of WWE was that 2012-14 window built around the Shield and Daniel Bryan putting on TV clinics every week.
That TV as Punk retires, Bryan gets hurt, The Shield breaks up, and eventually A.J. Lee retires to join Punk was just painful to watch. Like watching a car crash in slow motion, only the car is full of adorable puppies. The degree to which the shows were carried by those four acts (and I phrase it that way because all 3 Shield members stuck around, just in completely different forms) wasn't fully apparent while they were all there. (At least past their reliance on A.J. as a ratings draw at one point, which it feels like everyone has forgotten.) But once they were gone? Good lord. Has there been any point since the breakup of The Shield where Raw was consistently even decent?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Stories should for the most part be predictable. Nobody would care about the MCU if half the movies ended with the hero getting punked out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

Stories should for the most part be predictable. Nobody would care about the MCU if half the movies ended with the hero getting punked out.

Yeah, in a lot of ways predictable just means logical and makes sense. Captain America isn't going to lose to Batroc the Leaper, and Mox absolutely isn't going to lose to D3 or whatever, but it's still fun to watch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cerebral Bore posted:

This may be a hot take, but I actually like that a lot of AEW matches are predictable because it makes the upsets a lot more shocking when they do happen.

Pylons posted:

I've genuinely really enjoyed AEW's approach to their booking where they set up an obvious result, but the promos and segments leading up to the match make you think they'll do the non-obvious thing. Realistically, was Eddie going to beat Mox for the title at Full Gear? No, but I thought it could happen going into the match.

What I really enjoy about AEW's booking is yeah, the outcome of the matches may be predicable, but if they go with the "upset", it still makes sense, and can be a satisfying result.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Not sure if this counts but to me some of the best RAWs and SDs from recent memory had really loving long matches (the Seth gauntlet, the Kofimania stuff, etc).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rarity posted:

when will we get the twin peaks of wrestling

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i will also accept the el topo of wrestling

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AEW working dudes into shoots is proof their wrestling is better than WWE's

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

coconono posted:

AEW working dudes into shoots is proof their wrestling is better than WWE's

it does feel like every single AEW segment generates days of discussion while WWE plays train noises over braun strowman running around the ring and everyone forgets about it in 15 minutes

edit: I’m speaking broadly about internet wrestling discussion, not necessarily here

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

davidbix posted:

That TV as Punk retires, Bryan gets hurt, The Shield breaks up, and eventually A.J. Lee retires to join Punk was just painful to watch. Like watching a car crash in slow motion, only the car is full of adorable puppies. The degree to which the shows were carried by those four acts (and I phrase it that way because all 3 Shield members stuck around, just in completely different forms) wasn't fully apparent while they were all there. (At least past their reliance on A.J. as a ratings draw at one point, which it feels like everyone has forgotten.) But once they were gone? Good lord. Has there been any point since the breakup of The Shield where Raw was consistently even decent?

JeriKO and Braun before we all realized how much he sucked were fun.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Every one of these WWE Universe members posting hate on other promotions just reminds me of this WWE on Hulu ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzltiVDVb5M

"Don't get it twisted, I'm not a wrestling fan. I'm a WWE fan."

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Not sure if this counts but to me some of the best RAWs and SDs from recent memory had really loving long matches (the Seth gauntlet, the Kofimania stuff, etc).

if anything that's proof positive that if they would just let wrestlers go out and wrestle then they can put on a good show

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

uninstall twitter

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

JOHN CENA posted:

uninstall twitter

:hmmyes:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the cops stopped calling my house as soon as I stopped tweeting.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MJeff posted:

JeriKO and Braun before we all realized how much he sucked were fun.
Braun showing up like Tyrant from Resident Evil, screaming "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU YET" was such a good niche for him. They really almost had a new old-school Kane but they decided that he was going to die in a swamp because he has a crush on Alexa Bliss.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There was a royal rumble several years ago where Braun’s music hit and Jericho sold it like he poo poo his pants in fear.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1393230921659260931?s=21

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lol goooood that guy sucks.

Also, WWE, Fox and NBCU totally no-sold the "pro Israel groups" that called them to bitch about Sami anyway. Of course they wouldn't do me a favor by being cowards and firing him.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 14, 2021

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

nah I'm p.sure Sami's got his exit strategy all lined up.

step 1. reopen pwtees store
step 2. get mask fitted
step 3. text bouncing souls guys
step 4. profit

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
bouncing souls no one can beat us
wait a month for no compete clause

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

RealFoxy posted:

Braun showing up like Tyrant from Resident Evil, screaming "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU YET" was such a good niche for him. They really almost had a new old-school Kane but they decided that he was going to die in a swamp because he has a crush on Alexa Bliss.

Braun owned himself even before that point by taking the worst parts of Seth Rollins and worst parts of Baron Corbin on twitter and doing it himself.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Anti Crack Account, baby!

https://twitter.com/OGJOHNNY5/status/1393246965073289221

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

only black people are allowed to be in gangs, what?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Two Beans posted:

Every one of these WWE Universe members posting hate on other promotions just reminds me of this WWE on Hulu ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzltiVDVb5M

"Don't get it twisted, I'm not a wrestling fan. I'm a WWE fan."

Holy poo poo I've never seen this before

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The idea that Sami wouldn’t get immediately scooped up by any company he wanted is so laughable

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
imagine quitting your job to watch raw of all things

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mooseinfants posted:

imagine quitting your job to watch raw of all things

yo I'd quit walmart for a drug addiction

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1393394364404178949

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I thought we weren't meant to post lovely goon opinions in this thread :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
its from twitter it doesnt count, rule explicitly states this forum. dont try to get me into trouble rarity.