Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

What I find interesting is how the Arab countries that have recently established diplomatic ties with Israel seem to be completely silent about this latest flare up of violence. Like isn't one of the reasons why countries have diplomatic relations so that formal complaints can be made when one side is doing something horrendous?

Nah. No two countries are going to go to the trouble of signing agreements for the privilege of being able to complain to each other. Issuing formal complaints is a minor byproduct of having diplomatic relations, not a cause for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Charliegrs posted:

What I find interesting is how the Arab countries that have recently established diplomatic ties with Israel seem to be completely silent about this latest flare up of violence. Like isn't one of the reasons why countries have diplomatic relations so that formal complaints can be made when one side is doing something horrendous?

Those country's do not care about the Palestinians anymore.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A lot of countries that don’t love Israel also don’t really love hamas. They want Palestine but don’t specifically see hamas as the legitimate government so don’t really like bad treatment of West Bank but would like Gaza retaken back by the Palestinian authority.

The problem with this is that Hamas is the legitimate authority in the Palestinian territories, having won a majority in the most recent PA legislative elections. The current Fatah-led administration in the West Bank is illegal and unconstitutional, the result of a civil war caused by Fatah's unwillingness to facilitate a peaceful transfer of power and enthusiastically egged on by the US and Israel.

I think the reason is far simpler - after a generation or two of the current status quo, the political elites in these countries no longer care enough about the Palestinian struggle to turn down the economic benefits of buddying up with Israel and the US. However, their populace still cares enough to start protesting and making a ruckus when escalations in violence make the news, so the political elites have to bow to public opinion when that happens. As a result, they greatly prefer Fatah's collaborationist government that keeps things quiet and out of the regional news.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One of the sad histories about the Palestinian people is how lovely they have been treated by Israel and the surrounding countries. Feel free to look up the relationship between the PLO and Jordan for example. The entire region pretty much saw them as trading pieces instead of actual people.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Madkal posted:

One of the sad histories about the Palestinian people is how lovely they have been treated by Israel and the surrounding countries. Feel free to look up the relationship between the PLO and Jordan for example. The entire region pretty much saw them as trading pieces instead of actual people.

to be fair, my understanding is that jordanian rule was much, much better for palestinians than the current status quo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sampatrick posted:

to be fair, my understanding is that jordanian rule was much, much better for palestinians than the current status quo

You do realize how low a bar youre setting.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Chuka Umana posted:

Pan arab sentiment has certainly diminished a bit from its heyday, but the palestinian people remain popular and the utterly cowardly appeasement from the rulers of much of the arab world to Israel over their treatment remains one of the great generationally acknowledged injustices throughout the Arab world. Unfortunately several countries leadership have become significantly more entrenched in power and even less representative of their actual people so even less need is felt now to acknowledge that injustice.

I think the biggest shift is in how utterly unsolvable (barring something much more extreme than the one or two state solutions) it all seems in the current state of affairs.

Still, the injustice thrust upon the palestinians remains a fuckin huge deal in the arab world.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sampatrick posted:

Depends when you look

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September?wprov=sfla1

Then again I don't think Jordan appreciated the PLO trying to assassinate their king

Edit: they were generally pretty good towards the Palestinians at first, mostly fearing an independent West Bank but that soured soon.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 14, 2021

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Chuka Umana posted:

The absolute monarchies ruling Saudi Arabia & the UAE do not care about the Palestinians, correct, just as they do not care about anyone else in the world aside from their immediate families.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

More than 500 Palestinians have been injured by the continued bombings. At least 20 high capacity buildings have been leveled. Gaza is being reduced in height day by day, Much easier to project an occupation over an area that doesn't have a building over 3 stories standing as guard towers can be towering over them. Especially with the Israeli tech sector. Expect gun turrets on 100Ft towers to be scanning the Gaza strip and terminating anyone who the Israelis deem a threat

The right wing groups are yelling for the expulsion of Palestinians into the gaza strip only. Which would basically turn the strip into a massive disease vector with a huge population density and zero facilities to support anything.

We're loving seeing it. Israel's casualties in this measure in what, like 3 dead? This is a completely calculated move especially since Bibi can actually bomb his political enemies and blame palestine for it. Seriously. Thats the bargaining chips he's playing with. The IDF/Mossad have infiltrated many of these groups and know their movements in and out of Israel.

THis is loving nuts, and it kicked off in such a rapid way.

A Pro-Israel person asked me this question a few minutes ago, thinking I would be strawmanned out of my statement that Israel is going full blut and boden

"Does ISrael have a cult of state and a culture revolving solely around the power of the army/police?"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 14, 2021

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We're loving seeing it. Israel's casualties in this measure in what, like 3 dead? This is a completely calculated move especially since Bibi can actually bomb his political enemies and blame palestine for it. Seriously. Thats the bargaining chips he's playing with. The IDF/Mossad have infiltrated many of these groups and know their movements in and out of Israel.

Current numbers as per NBC News

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/violence-between-israel-hamas-shows-no-sign-slowing-n1267055

is 65 Palestinians dead, 300 injured, 6 Israelis dead, 200 injured.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Epicurius posted:

Current numbers as per NBC News

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/violence-between-israel-hamas-shows-no-sign-slowing-n1267055

is 65 Palestinians dead, 300 injured, 6 Israelis dead, 200 injured.

Old news.

In Gaza: the death toll rose to 103, including 27 children and 11 women, and 580 injuries were recorded

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

punishedkissinger posted:

There still doesn't seem to be a clear excuse for why Israel stormed a mosque filled with hundreds of people during ramadan.

Cui Bono?

Did Bibi just ensue his PM role?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sinteres posted:

(and Netanyahu is both inherently a nationalist and utterly beholden to people even more extreme than he is to maintain power),

Bibi isn't being forced into anything here by anyone more extreme than he is, he's just as extreme as Ben Gvir in his opinions and is doing this willingly. The only difference is that Bibi is willing to do it on a slower time scale over decades and idiots like Ben Gvir need as much bloodshed as soon as possible for their throne of blood & bones. Their ideology is the same.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

There's a really excellent documentary on the link between evangelicals and the settler movement on the BBC at the moment. So depressing seeing them meet some Palestinian Christians and just not caring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rgnz

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I can barely bring myself to watching anything to do with settlers. There is something vile and disgusting on a fundamental level about a group of people who dedicate their lives and whole existence to causing the misery of others.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Flayer posted:

I can barely bring myself to watching anything to do with settlers. There is something vile and disgusting on a fundamental level about a group of people who dedicate their lives and whole existence to causing the misery of others.

There are honestly few movements as overtly and openly dedicated into loving someone over. It takes extra effort, when they could just live in Haifa or something.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Jesus Christ:

https://twitter.com/EmpireFiles/status/1393015740291162120

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 14, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh look Lebensraum.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wish I could say that was surprising, but I've seen American Jews say similar poo poo. loving awful.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Oh look Lebensraum.
Israel/Palestine 2021: Oh look Lebensraum

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
They're just so casual about their goddamn horrifying beliefs.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Why wouldn't they be? They've captured the minds of the chattering 'moderate' types. The politically unconscious kind of think the violence should stop but that Israel has got to do what it's got to do. At this point if they wiped out every Palestinian man, women and child they'd consider it a tragedy but not a crime. Just something that happened.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Nobody's calling them on it. See: Trump supporters. Though you know, the horrifying beliefs probably are a majority in Israel.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 14, 2021

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Pigeons are kind of pretty and soft and trained ones make good pets.

Wild pigeons poop everywhere and hoot at 3 in the morning, they gotta go. It's sad, but it has to be done.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Preen Dog posted:

Wild pigeons poop everywhere and hoot at 3 in the morning, they gotta go. It's sad, but it has to be done.

Wild pigeons feed birds of prey, leave em be.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Preen Dog posted:

I'm now picturing an Israeli lebensraum defense involving the hawk rabbit analogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxFfxTZA6ao&t=29s

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A client saw my last name and congratulated me on Israel "getting rid o the Arabs".

Solid stuff.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My boss (not directly) expressed the opinion that Israel should bomb the Palestinians back into the Stone Age.

Cool and good. Yay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

A client saw my last name and congratulated me on Israel "getting rid o the Arabs".

Solid stuff.
Yikes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/lawblaw2020/status/1393238344910483457

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Solid stuff.

God loving dammit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I mean, the tweet is clearly not a random wine review, it's clearly a pretty reasonable "jewish people and muslim people are fighting where I am, last week I was in a muslim majority area of israel and everyone was nice and friendly and i bought this wine, so I'm going to use this wine in a prayer. I wish muslims and jews here were like the ones in the area I bought this in"

Like it's not super deep or anything, but it's not like he stopped posting about fighting to just randomly talk up a random wine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Something I’ve been wondering from a historical perspective since the violence has flared up again. How comparable is Hamas to the IRA/Shin Fein? I know very little of the history of the occupation outside the immediate lead up to the creation of the Israeli state post-WWI.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AlternateNu posted:

Something I’ve been wondering from a historical perspective since the violence has flared up again. How comparable is Hamas to the IRA/Shin Fein? I know very little of the history of the occupation outside the immediate lead up to the creation of the Israeli state post-WWI.

I'd be interested in this as well if there is any direct comparison.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Hello, I've somewhat off topic and maybe philosophical question regarding the ethics and morality of visiting Israel (or any apartheid state) and would like some opinions if you care enough.
I've two good Israeli friends living in Tel'Aviv, and they are very anti-zionist and hate the IDF, and condemn Israel's treatment of Palestine. We've talked about it a lot.

For a couple of years now we've talked about me flying over to Tel'Aviv and visiting them to hang out, eat burgers and do fun friend stuff.
But I have this underlying discomfort that visiting Israel is unethical or morally questionable.
But is it really as one dimensional and morally wrong if I have good intentions of visiting like minded anti-nationalist friends?

I am very uncomfortable and not smart regarding such matters.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Is there a timeline of the events leading to this latest disaster?

Because if what I think happened, Bibi ordering security forces to attack worshippers in a mosque, he can sod right off.

He's the one benefitting from all of this.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

The Real Amethyst posted:

But I have this underlying discomfort that visiting Israel is unethical or morally questionable.
But is it really as one dimensional and morally wrong if I have good intentions of visiting like minded anti-nationalist friends?

It really depends on how ethically pure you want to be with where some of your tourist dollars invariably end up.

Plenty of tourists still flock to Burma, China, Saudi Arabia and other states that are at least repressive dictatorships if not enthusiastically pursuing mass repression & ethnic cleansing. (If you really want to get purestrain about it, we can argue anyone paying tax in the United States is also tacitly funding wars etc and morally should move or avoid employment). It's a personal decision ultimately - but no one off the internet will care.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Real Amethyst posted:

Hello, I've somewhat off topic and maybe philosophical question regarding the ethics and morality of visiting Israel (or any apartheid state) and would like some opinions if you care enough.
I've two good Israeli friends living in Tel'Aviv, and they are very anti-zionist and hate the IDF, and condemn Israel's treatment of Palestine. We've talked about it a lot.

For a couple of years now we've talked about me flying over to Tel'Aviv and visiting them to hang out, eat burgers and do fun friend stuff.

I am very uncomfortable and not smart regarding such matters.

You should visit your friends, especially if they are counter-culture types. Just stay safe, and do so when things have settled.

I'd view it as supporting people who are against this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

double post

don't know how that happened.

sorry