Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's the whole problem though. If you're going to legally force something on people, it kinda needs to be as good as or even better than what you're taking away, otherwise you're gonna piss off a whole lotta people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Inner Light posted:

EVs going into law in America? :lol:

I would put a large, large amount of money into this not happening in our lifetime. Maybe nudges and manufacturer incentives like CAFE, but nothing like a mandate.

I completely agree, but others seem to think it's going to happen in the near future I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Laws aren't going to be necessary in the US as the rest of the world will sort that for us and carmakers will stop making internal combustion models altogether.

Sure, we may still get a handful of old designs being produced like the Beetle was in Mexico for decades, but nothing new will come here.

"Oh" you say "how can they forsake such a large market!" to which I'm just going to sit in the corner and chuckle if you think the average US citizen is going to be able to afford a new car in 20 years. Growth in other parts of the world will overtake us.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I completely agree, but others seem to think it's going to happen in the near future I guess.

I do kinda feel like the whole "by 2030" thing is just going to be delayed in like 2027 but I certainly don't think anyone posting ITT will be dead by the time it happens, unless some of you goons are like 85 already. Or I guess addicted to opiates.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bull3964 posted:

Part of that is a whole other argument because you aren't going to find much resistance from me for forcing a driver who has been on the road for 6 hours off of it for a little extra rest.

Maybe instead of asking how to do these 600 mile drives in one go, we should be asking IF we should be doing them all in one go.

This is the fun bit about Americans when people In the UK say x is a long drive and time wise it's maybe 6 hours. Someone will always wade in and go "well I drive that for work each day" like it isn't a completely insane amount of your life to spend sat in a car.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bull3964 posted:

Laws aren't going to be necessary in the US as the rest of the world will sort that for us and carmakers will stop making internal combustion models altogether.

This is probably true but it’s going to take a lot longer than 2035 for the rest of the world to transition to 100% EVs sales for new cars. Chinas goal is 50% of vehicle sales by 2035 be EV, fuel cell or plug in hybrid with the other 50% being conventional hybrid. As long as China and the US are still buying cars with ICE engines plenty of them will still get made, irrespective of whether some Northern European countries ban them altogether.

As far as whether the US will actually be a large market in 20 years, as long as the dollar is still a reserve currency credit will still be cheap and loans terms are just getting longer and longer. It’s not like 50 years of wage stagnation put a dent in American consumerism.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 14, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I never imagined a bunch of AI would be such cowards about new technology.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Alright, I’ll have to charge once on the drive to where I’m going, that’s fine. What about charging when I get there and am there for 3 days and using the car as well?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Charles posted:

old man yells at cloud .jpg

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Maybe, but you're painting with a broad brush, there are plenty of people in America that don't even come close to driving that much. If you take lots of day trips and don't want to stop to charge up then don't buy an EV.

If EVs happen go into law in your area then I guess you don't have much of a choice :shrug:

This is bordering on "If you elect democrats they are going to put whites into concentration camps and take your guns."

There is no slippery slope down the line of electric cars exist -> electric cars are better for the planet -> whoops everything else is illegal despite it being utterly impractical!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

you have a pretty severe disconnect from the realities of most working people's lives and the places people increasingly live if you think EVs are going to crush ICE vehicles this decade

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wheeee posted:

you have a pretty severe disconnect from the realities of most working people's lives and the places people increasingly live if you think EVs are going to crush ICE vehicles this decade

Totally agreed with you here. Also add to that a lot of AI people live in much more rural or suburban landscapes than many others which make up a huge chunk of the buying public. KillHour didn't even know that in many areas 1-2 miles out from the center of many of the densest US cities there is permanent street parking that folks rely on every day, Chicago included. Not to mention 3, 5, 7 miles out from the city center there are thousands and thousands of residences that have no parking attached.

We will need electric charging to be as fast as gasoline fueling to convert those people, and I just don't know if we'll see that in my lifetime. I'm certainly not confident about it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 14, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

a disproportionately large amount of the posters here are high earner professionals, AI and especially the new car thread are not representative of the broader demographic of vehicle owners

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charles posted:

Wheeee posted:

Also, you must have only ever posted in the EV thread if you think AI doesn’t hate everything new. The ideal car for 90% of the posters here is a 15 year old manual Miata.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
"The ICE engine will be dead in a decade!" reminds me a little of all the crankin' off about self driving cars from a few years ago- like yeah we're clearly headed in that direction but it's just waaaaaay further away than some people seem to think.

I can't properly elucidate it now but I have the feeling there's a lot of hype men playing it up for stock price gains or VC capital, depending on who's talkin'

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The ideal car for 90% of the posters here is a 15 year old manual Miata.
I'm at the point now where since the Miata has been held up for a while as this perfect realization of the drivers car that it actually must be crap.

Nothing on the internet gets that level of fandom without being completely fraudulent.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I know very well this is just my opinion so I don't beat people over the head with it, but the problem with every performance car is that they aren't motorcycles.

Edit: and every convertible.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Murgos posted:

I'm at the point now where since the Miata has been held up for a while as this perfect realization of the drivers car that it actually must be crap.

Nothing on the internet gets that level of fandom without being completely fraudulent.

Sounds like you haven't driven a miata.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not to make too much of a bong rip hot take but surely there needs to be a standard form factor battery and some procedure for swapping them out at a changing station rather then recharging them while you wait? No? How else is it ever going to be as fast as gas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0W1zeUx7VI
Nio does this in china and it doesn't seem that impossible to do on the average car with a battery sled.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Murgos posted:

My scorching hot take is that part of the Miata fandom is sour grapes over not being able to afford a more powerful car.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

When I was a teen I was sitting at a three-way intersection trying to turn left, saw a motorcyclist get cut off by a car and lost his leg from the knee down. Like I saw it fly through the air like that episode of the Simpsons.

I'm sure they're a ton of fun... But absolutely gently caress that noise.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0W1zeUx7VI
Nio does this in china and it doesn't seem that impossible to do on the average car with a battery sled.

I’m very skeptical of this video. That car, even the underside, is spotless. Also the cutaway to the skyline is suspicious.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LibCrusher posted:

I’m very skeptical of this video. That car, even the underside, is spotless. Also the cutaway to the skyline is suspicious.

I just linked the first video from a "nio battery swap" search, plenty of other choices.

Like this review from fully charged which looks pretty much the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTsrDpsYHrw

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Neo_Crimson posted:

My scorching hot take is that part of the Miata fandom is sour grapes over not being able to afford a more powerful car.

You qualified it with "part of", but it doesn't take a ton of power in them to be quick.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

I just linked the first video from a "nio battery swap" search, plenty of other choices.

Like this review from fully charged which looks pretty much the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTsrDpsYHrw

Well dang. I guess it does work ok.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

LibCrusher posted:

Well dang. I guess it does work ok.

The cynic in me thinks you're going to get cut in half by a big lithium battery slab if you get in an accident

I mean China has less stringent crash ratings but it probably isn't that bad

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Part of that is a whole other argument because you aren't going to find much resistance from me for forcing a driver who has been on the road for 6 hours off of it for a little extra rest.

Maybe instead of asking how to do these 600 mile drives in one go, we should be asking IF we should be doing them all in one go.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is the fun bit about Americans when people In the UK say x is a long drive and time wise it's maybe 6 hours. Someone will always wade in and go "well I drive that for work each day" like it isn't a completely insane amount of your life to spend sat in a car.
This seems like one of those things that ideally would be a really good idea (make it so people don't have to rush places and drive unreasonably long distances in such a rush that taking 30 minutes to recharge is a problem), but any solution to it has a high chance of being very, very regressive.

If you're financially stable*, planning an extra day on each end of a trip to make drive times reasonable is not a huge problem. If you're not financially stable*? You do what you have to do. Including, sometimes, drive 6 hours a day for work.

* - I'm using "financially stable" here instead of "poor" or "wealthy", because I think it more correctly captures the magnitude of the group of people that it corresponds to.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Totally agreed with you here. Also add to that a lot of AI people live in much more rural or suburban landscapes than many others which make up a huge chunk of the buying public. KillHour didn't even know that in many areas 1-2 miles out from the center of many of the densest US cities there is permanent street parking that folks rely on every day, Chicago included. Not to mention 3, 5, 7 miles out from the city center there are thousands and thousands of residences that have no parking attached.

We will need electric charging to be as fast as gasoline fueling to convert those people, and I just don't know if we'll see that in my lifetime. I'm certainly not confident about it.

I did know this and specifically brought them up. I said in city centers, where they would potentially ban cars, highlighting that the car bans won't actually "fix" the issue of people reliant on street parking. You made the exact same point I did - that there's a place that exists between mega skyscrapers and green lawn suburbs that rely on cars.

To clarify, the flow of the conversation went (paraphrasing)

"People in cities can't charge cars"

"They're going to ban cars in city centers anyways"

"People with cars in city centers don't have street parking I'm talking about the people just outside city centers"

"KillHour thinks people in cities don't street park! :v:"

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 14, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
my friend told me he placed an order for an extended range ford mustang mach e yesterday, and my reaction was wait what? an electric mustang?

then he told me it was a suv and i was even more incredulous

maybe this is the future of america and he's gonna lead the way but it seems so weird they branded it this way

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Neo_Crimson posted:

You're right but you can't pretend that money is not the biggest factor that decides what car a person drives. Like yes, if you ignore money then the Miata kinda sucks because you can get a Boxster. But at the same time the Boxster kinda sucks because you can get a Ferrari or whatever right? You can't just ignore money like that. The fact is that the Miata is remarkably good for how much it costs in both the upfront price and in maintenance. It even beats some more expensive cars in a few aspects, like weight.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

most miata hate comes from people who are just too dumb to understand the point and couldn't out-drive it if they tried

genuinely fast cars for street use are entirely about fronting, if a miata is boring to drive you're probably an insecure idiot buying cars for the wrong reasons

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

mastershakeman posted:

my friend told me he placed an order for an extended range ford mustang mach e yesterday, and my reaction was wait what? an electric mustang?

then he told me it was a suv and i was even more incredulous

maybe this is the future of america and he's gonna lead the way but it seems so weird they branded it this way

Look at it this way, to market the Mach-E they have these options:

1) Don't use the Mustang brand, and just make it another electric CUV that gets lost in the shuffle and doesn't sell well.

2) Make it an actual electric Mustang coupe, piss off the purists even more than they already have. Sell 12 because nobody buys coupes anymore.

3) Do what they did and use their most iconic brand to draw attention to their primer electric vehicle, ignore the purists and bank on America's boner for SUVs to make it up.

They went with option 3, and it seems to have worked out for them. It helps that the Mach-E seems to be an actually good car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Seems like people just call it the Mach E. It's pretty silly. But yeah it's pretty good. I don't know why they didn't do a heat pump, especially when Norway is a huge market. I'm sure they'll rectify that in a year or two.

And I'd rather have the Miata over a lot of cars.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Neo_Crimson posted:

Look at it this way, to market the Mach-E they have these options:

1) Don't use the Mustang brand, and just make it another electric CUV that gets lost in the shuffle and doesn't sell well.

2) Make it an actual electric Mustang coupe, piss off the purists even more than they already have. Sell 12 because nobody buys coupes anymore.

3) Do what they did and use their most iconic brand to draw attention to their primer electric vehicle, ignore the purists and bank on America's boner for SUVs to make it up.

They went with option 3, and it seems to have worked out for them. It helps that the Mach-E seems to be an actually good car.

yeah i was more surprised than anything else but at the same time i sat down to watch youtubes about it since it signals a big cultural shift ,and ill be talking to guys like my classic corvette owning barber and whatnot about it . it'll be fun to ride around in it when it's actually delivered. since my friend's in an area with snow and ice i told him im glad he didnt get a tesla and got something out of detroit

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wheeee posted:

most miata hate comes from people who are just too dumb to understand the point and couldn't out-drive it if they tried

genuinely fast cars for street use are entirely about fronting, if a miata is boring to drive you're probably an insecure idiot buying cars for the wrong reasons
As someone who has both owned and enjoyed an NA Miata and an amply powered mustang, I'd agree with this.

They're different cars and I've enjoyed both of them, and the Mustang definitely supports more fronting.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Also Miatas aren't really cheap new? Like I;m pretty sure people who can afford Miatas can also afford Camaros.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Miata is the perfect automotive litmus test for identifying people who don't know poo poo about poo poo tbh

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Miata is the epitome of “it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow” and it’s absolutely true. If you don’t have a smile on your face while wringing the piss out of it I don’t know what to tell you. They are supremely well balanced and enjoyable to drive especially on public roads where “real” sports car will send you to jail if you drove them at the same limit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

CornHolio posted:

This might be a stupid question but wasn't somebody working on a kind of synthetic fuel?

You can go from algae or grass to fuel and it is efficient in that you can get more energy out than you use to do the processing. (Thanks sun) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel

Another way is to use composting to generate methane, ala Jean Pain. You can use that in a modified diesel. Modern versions are quite efficient. https://www.permaculturenews.org/2011/12/15/the-jean-pain-way/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

yeah i was more surprised than anything else but at the same time i sat down to watch youtubes about it since it signals a big cultural shift ,and ill be talking to guys like my classic corvette owning barber and whatnot about it . it'll be fun to ride around in it when it's actually delivered. since my friend's in an area with snow and ice i told him im glad he didnt get a tesla and got something out of detroit

Teslas drive fine in the snow, provided you have decent tires (really this is true for anything though). They do often come with giant rims though which are just awful for potholes. Not sure how their rust proofing compares; somebody should check in with an Ontario owners club.