Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Was rewatching Blair Witch 2016 and I still feel like it's way better than it gets credit for, but I also realize I might be the only person on earth that likes that movie.
I liked it! It does feel very fan filmy and makes a lot of things explicit like the time travel aspect and what the little stick people are (to pretty great effect). But it's a perfectly fine movie.

But honestly it's impossible to really make the Blair Witch Project 2 because while it's a good movie on its own, it's also an amazing magic trick nobody is ever going to be able to pull off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seems like it's mostly forgotten now that they were able to actually keep Blair Witch(2016) a secret until like the month of it's release. Up to that point it was supposed to just be an Adam Wingard movie that took place in the woods, nobody knew it was a Blair Witch sequel. So that was pretty cool at least, you rarely see that kind of surprise because of the way movies are marketed these days.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I think ultimately the Blair Witch attachment actually made people generally more critical of it.

On it's own merits, I think it has a good atmosphere, is genuinely spooky at times with a few really good scares, and has a pretty good pacing. All around solid but not amazing horror movie. A lot of people seem to dislike the characters, but I always thought they were...fine? They get the job done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I appreciated Wingards willingness to actually deliver the Blair Witch itself at the end of the movie. That took balls and it's a problem with a lot of found footage movies that try to imitate the original Blair Witch Project, it's a lot of running around acting scared with very little payoff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

can you watch Spiral from home or is it only in theaters?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

can you watch Spiral from home or is it only in theaters?

Theaters for now, but a lot of these COVID delayed films have been getting compressed release schedules where the VOD release is only like a month after the theatrical. So you may not have to wait that long.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
that lost romero movie is going to be on shudder in june

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLw_CYP02lg

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea Disney just announced a few titles that'll spend 45 days in theaters before making their way to their streaming service. They're going to set the standard going forward I think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I think ultimately the Blair Witch attachment actually made people generally more critical of it.

On it's own merits, I think it has a good atmosphere, is genuinely spooky at times with a few really good scares, and has a pretty good pacing. All around solid but not amazing horror movie. A lot of people seem to dislike the characters, but I always thought they were...fine? They get the job done.

Even though the characters in the original Blair Witch weren't exactly smart, the ones in 2016 are even dumberer and constantly making worse decisions every single time any problem presents itself, and they feel fakey hollywood fake written on top of it, which was the one thing the original avoided. It's like if the scene where that one idiot threw away the map happened every 5 minutes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Theaters for now, but a lot of these COVID delayed films have been getting compressed release schedules where the VOD release is only like a month after the theatrical. So you may not have to wait that long.

Yeah its playing near me and even tho im fully vaxxed im hesitant to go to a theater. On the other hand maybe its just been-in-a-pandemic-too-long anxiety and I should go, since I really do miss the theater and Saw is one of my fav series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Even though the characters in the original Blair Witch weren't exactly smart, the ones in 2016 are even dumberer and constantly making worse decisions every single time any problem presents itself, and they feel fakey hollywood fake written on top of it, which was the one thing the original avoided. It's like if the scene where that one idiot threw away the map happened every 5 minutes.

yeah it's a very blatant example of just slapping a generic slasher movie cast together for your not-a-slasher movie and hoping for the best

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah its playing near me and even tho im fully vaxxed im hesitant to go to a theater. On the other hand maybe its just been-in-a-pandemic-too-long anxiety and I should go, since I really do miss the theater and Saw is one of my fav series.

I'm definitely going back to the theater once my vaccine fully kicks in about a week from now. At the latest I'll definitely be there for Fast & Furious 9.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mines fully kicked in (been 3 weeks since my 2nd shot) so I think im just being paranoid. Im gonna try to go tonight or tomorrow.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

I've seen 3 movies in theaters since being fully innoculated. its not that big of a deal. I just keep my mask on if im not eating or drinking anything and put it back on after im done doing so. also if you're buying tickets online after you select a seat they block out the two seats on the right and left of you so you have your own bubble. its pretty great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I also tend to go on like, Sunday mornings so it's not like I'll be sitting in a packed weekend night showing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a whole tow to myself in IMAX for spiral.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Seems like it's mostly forgotten now that they were able to actually keep Blair Witch(2016) a secret until like the month of it's release. Up to that point it was supposed to just be an Adam Wingard movie that took place in the woods, nobody knew it was a Blair Witch sequel. So that was pretty cool at least, you rarely see that kind of surprise because of the way movies are marketed these days.
It was cool and impressive, but by the time I watched the movie, I completely forgot that.

I dunno if Wingard is really built for found footage. He has like the most forgettable parts of V/H/S 1&2.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

So for one of these Fran Challenges in the other thread, I've narrowed my choices down to The Stepfather 3, Thankskilling, and The Being(1983).

I got these from a list of horror movies featuring holidays, are they legit(it's the requirement of the challenge that they feature a holiday)? Well, I know Thankskilling is gonna feature Thanksgiving but I can't really find any real proof that the other two feature holidays at all. Also, if any of the three are bad enough that I should definitely avoid, please advise me on that.

Last page, but while I don't know anything about The Stepfather 3 or The Being, but Thankskilling is loving awful. It fails as a movie, it fails as a horror movie specifically, and it fails at being a self-aware parody. You can find something better to do with your time to fill this challenge.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Stepfather 3 is kind of lovely as well. No Terry O'Quinn.

There's not a good number of part 3 that totally loving own. There's a few like NOES 3 and Exorcist 3 that totally own.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

The Stepfather 3 is kind of lovely as well. No Terry O'Quinn.

There's not a good number of part 3 that totally loving own. There's a few like NOES 3 and Exorcist 3 that totally own.
Army of Darkness, Day of the Dead, The Creature Walks Among Us, Paranormal Activity 3...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Class3KillStorm posted:

Last page, but while I don't know anything about The Stepfather 3 or The Being, but Thankskilling is loving awful. It fails as a movie, it fails as a horror movie specifically, and it fails at being a self-aware parody. You can find something better to do with your time to fill this challenge.

Yea that's why I came to the thread for help. I figured there was probably a clear choice of the three, and The Being definitely seems to be it. Thanks!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Army of Darkness, Day of the Dead, The Creature Walks Among Us, Paranormal Activity 3...

It's not a large list. Also Army of Darkness while being the 3rd film is actually a sequel. If I'm nitpicking it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Stink Billyums posted:

that lost romero movie is going to be on shudder in june

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLw_CYP02lg

This looks really cool. I never knew there was a lost Romero film.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

(I know it's not horror I just love Last Crusade)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

It's not a large list. Also Army of Darkness while being the 3rd film is actually a sequel. If I'm nitpicking it.
Yeah I had to stop there before squinting at movies that are fiiiiine

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah I had to stop there before squinting at movies that are fiiiiine

Yeah i mean there are perfectly fine threequels , but the ones that are like actually outstanding is far and few between.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

veni veni veni posted:

Was rewatching Blair Witch 2016 and I still feel like it's way better than it gets credit for, but I also realize I might be the only person on earth that likes that movie.

No, it really is extremely good. It just happened to hit when people were getting tired of false document films, and is better understood as a sister film to As Above So Below than a Blair Witch movie.

Ironically, it may have been better received if they had just kept it The Woods.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Week 20 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, May 15th

1900 The Wild Boys AKA Les Garcons Sauvages
vs.
2100 City of the Living Dead

Monday, May 17th

1900 Sightseers
vs.
2040 The House That Jack Built

Content Warnings

The Wild Boys (2017)
Unrated - Severe scenes of sex and frequent nudity, including a brief scene of gang rape.

City of the Living Dead (1980)
Severe scenes of violence, gore, and intense frightening scenes.

Sightseers (2012)
Contains strong language, bloody violence, sex and sex references

The House That Jack Built (2018)
Rated R for strong disturbing violence/sadistic behavior, grisly images, language, and nudity.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

It apparently doesn't have any sort of announced release strategy here in Canada where theatres aren't open yet. Which is kind of ironic since it was shot here in Toronto.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What other "lost horror movies" are there which actually have a chance of coming out one day?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

What other "lost horror movies" are there which actually have a chance of coming out one day?

If we knew that they wouldn't be lost

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought we'd known about Amusement Park but were unsure if the original elements still existed?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

feedmyleg posted:

The Twin Towers That Ate New York has been in the vault since its planned release in November 2001.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/danpolydoris/status/1392921869687345153?s=21

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Actually have a chance is debateable, but one always lives in hope that a bunch of silent era stuff like London After Midnight will one day turn up in someone's attic.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I watched Lost Highway for the first time last year and loved it so much it momentarily tricked me into trying to listen to 90’s industrial again like I did in high-school. Turns out I don’t like it outside of the context of the movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Can I ask which decisions you found particularly terrible? They seemed fairly reasonable to me, outside of people always seeming to go to piss or look for fire wood a half mile away from the camp site which was pretty dumb. They were boned the second they entered the woods. They tried to leave the second poo poo got weird. They brought a GPS and tried to use it. There was really nothing that stood out to me that they could have done that would have helped them, or really any glaringly stupid things they did.

Don't get me wrong they aren't particularly smart characters, but I didn't really find any of them so dumb that it was distracting. I didn't find myself yelling "why are you doing this?!" at the screen like I do with a lot of horror movies.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
My first movie back at the theater was Spiral and all I can say is FINALLY a rap remix of Hello Zepp over the credits

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has anyone went and seen Army of the Dead in the theater? I'm super stoked for Friday to be able to watch it on Netfli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Has anyone went and seen Army of the Dead in the theater? I'm super stoked for Friday to be able to watch it on Netfli.

Several snyderdome posters have and they loved it