Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wanna know who decided it would be a good idea to make an overpriced OEM farkle be such a needless pain in the rear end to install. Kawasaki should be way better than this

Just came in so I went to go slap it on, it simply replaces the rear passenger seat on the Ninja 400, so should just be a matter of swapping them right?

No turns out they expect you to tear down half your fairings to get to the two little holes the new bracket it needs mounts to I guess. Here it is installed, noticed how they're recessed just enough to be rage inducing:

Lucky for me I have dainty computer fingers and with the help of tape to hold the nut in place and shoving the plastics to the side just enough to get a small socket wrench in the gap between the rear fairing and the stupid bracket which is now in the way due to needing to be installed, I was able to get the bolts on and hand tighten the nut which is conveniently located on the bottom side. After putting it on the wrong way the first time of course and having to redo it.
That's incredibly dumb and should be taken as a drop in Kawasaki's already low standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This guy does a good overview of how dumb it is, I should have listened to him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExp3A26jxY

I honestly wouldn't even have considered it could be this bad before purchasing it, I always assumed it's like removing / installing the pillion.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve literally never seen a bike from any manufacturer where you couldn’t just swap the pillion seat for the cowl with a turn of the key.

That’s infuriating

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They're the bloody manufacturer of both parts, how hard would it really have been to make the underside of the cowl identical to the underside of the pillion seat? :psyduck:

That has to be malicious, surely, nobody hosed up this hard by accident

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Designed by a computer. That hates humans

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
it's hard to put the seat back on so that advrider.txt man has an excuse not to take THE BALL N CHAIN along with him

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wanna know who decided it would be a good idea to make an overpriced OEM farkle be such a needless pain in the rear end to install. Kawasaki should be way better than this

Just came in so I went to go slap it on, it simply replaces the rear passenger seat on the Ninja 400, so should just be a matter of swapping them right?

No turns out they expect you to tear down half your fairings to get to the two little holes the new bracket it needs mounts to I guess. Here it is installed, noticed how they're recessed just enough to be rage inducing:

Lucky for me I have dainty computer fingers and with the help of tape to hold the nut in place and shoving the plastics to the side just enough to get a small socket wrench in the gap between the rear fairing and the stupid bracket which is now in the way due to needing to be installed, I was able to get the bolts on and hand tighten the nut which is conveniently located on the bottom side. After putting it on the wrong way the first time of course and having to redo it.

Yeah that's really dumb. I'm surprised because my 650's replacement cowl was a drop-in replacement and usually the 650 is the one that's horribly engineered vs the 400.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like, there is no excuse. It isn't a repurposed design with inherent compromises, it's a clean slate design. There is nothing new or novel about the way the pillion seat it attached. It can only be massive incompetence, earth shattering laziness or an unbelievably stupid way of saving money because of some esoteric manufacturing reason, though I don't see how all that bullshit could possibly be cheaper.

That is the kind of half-assery I'd expect to see on a triumph or Aprilia not a loving Japanese commuter.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Huh. Should I quit looking for used ninja 400s and shop for something else? I want a 2-4 cylinder <500cc street/sport bike, is the rest of the new ninja just gonna be hosed at this level?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuuh no because a poo poo accessory design isn't an indictment of an entire motorcycle, if we follow the logic there is basically no bike on earth worth buying. No effort in dumb bullshit areas is not the same as no effort in the parts that actually matter, or nobody would buy a Ducati ever.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I just discovered the Aprilia 660 bikes exist. So depressing it's a p-twin

Also picked up the CBR from the garage which is now cured of its fireball tendencies.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Uuuh no because a poo poo accessory design isn't an indictment of an entire motorcycle, if we follow the logic there is basically no bike on earth worth buying. No effort in dumb bullshit areas is not the same as no effort in the parts that actually matter, or nobody would buy a Ducati ever.

This, it's just an alternate rear seat option, there's a lot of other stuff about the 400 that's well thought out and makes sense (eg the oil drain being on the left side of the sump so that you can drain it fully on the side stand, as opposed to needing to put it on a centrestand it doesn't have)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I installed a rear fender delete on a 2012 CBR250 and it was baffling how much I had to take apart and how jigsaw puzzle-like the rear cowl assembly was. It wasn't at all intuitive and I couldn't figure out why it would be done that way. It's not just Kawi.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mc Escher bodywork that makes no sense, has way too many fasteners and manages to overlap itself in an ouroboros of hair pulling bullshit is a Honda trademark.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

RadioPassive posted:

Huh. Should I quit looking for used ninja 400s and shop for something else? I want a 2-4 cylinder <500cc street/sport bike, is the rest of the new ninja just gonna be hosed at this level?

Meh. My Kawasaki Versys-X 300 was similar when I tried to install crash bars. They called for removing all of the fairings. I was able to do it without it by pulling a little bit on the front fairing to get a thin wrench in.

My MSF instructor said he has to tear apart his whole Goldwing to get at the air filter. I think it is just how it is.

At some point I am going to have to acquire the service manual for my bike.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The amount of stupid bullshit I had to pull off my KLX230 to replace a tail light was astounding. But that says nothing of the engine, maintenance intervals, reliability, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I replaced my exhaust headers and muffler without pulling the fairings because the instructions said I didn’t need to.

It wasn’t until I pulled the fairings off a few days later that I realized how monumentally stupid a suggestion that was.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I replaced my exhaust headers and muffler without pulling the fairings because the instructions said I didn’t need to.

It wasn’t until I pulled the fairings off a few days later that I realized how monumentally stupid a suggestion that was.

Lmao seriously? How the christ did you get the headers out of the bike with the fairing in the way? How did you undo the flange nuts. So many questions, no answer that isn't hilarious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Lmao seriously? How the christ did you get the headers out of the bike with the fairing in the way? How did you undo the flange nuts. So many questions, no answer that isn't hilarious.

It was surprisingly easy to fish the actual pipes out but it’s also a ptwin so they’re really narrow and everything kind of slid out with minimal fuss. The less said about how I did the nuts the better but let me ask you this:

Have you ever tried to torque something using 3ft of socket extensions? No? It may or may not have been a rhetorical question I’ll never tell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doing everything completely wrong but using a torque wrench so it's fine :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The word fine is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, describing the things I made that poor torque wrench do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why do they put an undo setting on there if you aren't meant to undo things with one anyway

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Torquing left-handed threads?

(that was meant to be a silly answer please don't put me on blast)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Torquing left-handed threads?

(that was meant to be a silly answer please don't put me on blast)

Is this like a medieval punishment where you're forced to ride a Buell blast?

FOR fTEALING FROM THE LORDE OF THE LAND: fEVEN DAYS DAYf ON THE BLAfT

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

The real origin of the magma carta.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Magna Carta V65 Custom

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Magna Carta V65 Custom
:mmmhmm:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Magna Carta V65 Custom

New forum title?

I snagged a revit quantum jacket for a good price on closeout, but finding pants to go with it has been a chore due to a lot of things being out of stock. Guess I'll have to go with a different brand and get a zipper stitched on or something.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

god i was hoping someone would catch that, thank you slavvy

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Renaissance Robot posted:

This, it's just an alternate rear seat option, there's a lot of other stuff about the 400 that's well thought out and makes sense (eg the oil drain being on the left side of the sump so that you can drain it fully on the side stand, as opposed to needing to put it on a centrestand it doesn't have)
Oh yeah the oil change was a breeze, I'm mechanically illiterate and I managed it without any problems, everything is in a sensible location and easy to get to. I took off the bottom left side fairing just to give a little more room to work with, but could have totally done it without needing to, and that's only like two bolts. With a rear stand to help lift it a little it was no big deal at all, and you could totally do it on the side stand.

Slavvy posted:

Mc Escher bodywork that makes no sense, has way too many fasteners and manages to overlap itself in an ouroboros of hair pulling bullshit is a Honda trademark.
Fairings are also a pain in the rear end though, don't have much to compare it to, but it took me a while to get them off to put on the frame sliders, everything is interlaced and overlapping, and when I managed to get them back on I ended up with 2 spare bolts and a plastic pop fastener somehow... Every time I have to do stuff that requires taking them off, I briefly wonder why I didn't just get a naked bike (it's because I'm a superficial man :ms: )

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

After having a fully faired bike for five years I'm pretty excited to try out a bike without fairings. I got better at taking them on and off but somehow whenever I was in a hurry something would pop up and make them take longer than I'd like.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m pretty sure if I ever change bikes or buy my Ninja a brother, the next bike will be a Bonneville or Thruxton. The first, and still only, non-faired bike I’ve lusted after. Even then I think they look neater with the race bikini fairing so I think I’m cheating.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Something funny about having a generic parallel twin and lusting after an even more unremarkable parallel twin.

The water cooled ones seem like a big step though, the ohlins cafe racer one is amazing as is the bobber.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I dunno, I must be easy to please. I really like the way they look and when I sat on a Thruxton it felt amazing. Maybe I’d hate it after a test ride? In no danger of replacing my bike right now, and it’s a lot of money on an impulse buy but who knows what the future brings.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's nothing wrong with them, it would basically just be moving from a semi sporty Just A Bike to a semi-cruiser Just A Bike. The new ones have excellent touchy-feely quality on a par with Harley and Ducati but I have no idea if they're any more reliable than the old ones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s probably because I haven’t ridden anything else so I’m ignorant of what anything other than Just A Bike feels like, but I’m probably okay being ignorant right now. It’s bliss, I’m told :haw:

I’m researching the older Thrux 900s specifically so I guess the air cooled are what I’m aiming for but who knows :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 14, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think this is one of those don't meet your heroes situations, the old Bonnie is 100% a cruiser genetically even if it comes in non-cruiser forms. Jumping on one after a ninja 650, you'll feel that it's devastatingly slow, absurdly heavy, the brakes are useless and cornering sucks. This isn't because it's bad in some way, that's just how cruisers are, they are designed to a relaxed, sedate philosophy and you might like it!

They have some questionable areas (ignition coils that always break, triumph electrical bullshit, lots of the small fiddly stuff sucks) but are an otherwise solid bike, and they sound really cool with pea shooters on them. I'm partial to the 'classic' style ones as they have skinny tyres, ujm posture and decent ground clearance.

A very similar but more reliable and more authentically British bike (ironically) is the wr650/800.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I keep smelling hot brake/fried clutch smells while out riding and it makes me paranoid, even when I'm doing 45 and it can't possibly be coming from my bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that happens to me too. You're just so much more connected to the smells of the world that a minivan with cooked brakes might be half a mile ahead but it smells like it's all around you. I get at least a little worried every time I smell hot brakes/clutch or a truck burning oil or a plastic bag stuck on someone's muffler or anything like that.

Also I've told the story before but one time I was just riding along when suddenly I heard the most horrible rat-at-tat banging and metallic jangling sound. I immediately cut the throttle and started to pull over because I figured my entire valvetrain had just exploded or the chain had flung off and gotten wrapped around the wheel or something. Then I came past the edge of the high school I was passing and saw the marching band practicing in the parking lot with drums and xylophones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
THAT is hilarious.

Seconding that this happens to me all the time. Remember the mantra "smells come from ahead of the bike".