Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
"Reboot Camp" is a mediocre movie that does an okay job of explaining how people get gradually sucked into a cult, done in a weird mockumentary format that I'm not sure if it's intentionally ironic that how I ended up feeling about it was "that was weird that it was presented as based on truth when it was obviously mostly nonsense", and probably other people come away thinking it was mostly true and that that also is a reflection of how cults actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Stoner Sloth posted:

have you been working with Xenu again? :tinfoil:

I think so

cruft

Escape From Noise posted:

I think it's usually about the cult giving it's members a sense of belonging they lacked. Also at the beginning they're beliefs are going to be fairly benign, but as you advance they isolate members more and beliefs become more extreme. To put it in more simple terms.

We talking about QAnon again?

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
It's classic predatory victimization

Escape From Noise

Xenu: Princess Warrior

Manifisto

Pleiadian Light posted:

It's classic predatory victimization

IMO it bears a lot of resemblance of the playbook by which psychopaths manage to hook and torture victims, usually women

it's creepy

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Stoner Sloth posted:

have you been working with Xenu again? :tinfoil:

I'm the one who put all those souls in the volcano and you're never gonna stop me.

Manifisto posted:

are you talking about the organization that calls for an end to conflict under a particular color?

I think you'll find that I'm quite Clear.

Escape From Noise

The documentary A about the Aum Shinrikyo cult that perpetrated the Tokyo subway serin gas attacks is a sort of insight into the whole culture, although it's more of a document of the group following the attack.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

I think you'll find that I'm quite Clear.

I see what you did there.

Do you all see what she did there?

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

IMO it bears a lot of resemblance of the playbook by which psychopaths manage to hook and torture victims, usually women

it's creepy

Trap 'em early, or while they're weak. Sow distrust of everyone that isn't "us". Gaslight them with journaling of every detail of what everyone does. Sow paranoia from this. Entrench their life so deep into the group that to leave would destroy them. Financials are managed by the leader, and if you ever leave they will make your life hell.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

I see what you did there.

Do you all see what she did there?

I don't know what you're talking about. :angel:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I drink my water clear.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I only drink my water spicy

Escape From Noise

Pleiadian Light posted:

I drink my water clear.

Wow. Get with the times, gramps! All drinks are hazy now!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I got upset at a MiO commercial for saying they "fixed" water.

Escape From Noise

Pleiadian Light posted:

This is Bob Barker, reminding you to spay and neuter your water!

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

I only drink my water spicy

I am working to make this a thing at my job and around the area. A couple folks with small kids have started using it.

Driving down the continent with a pistol in her lap
Followed by a handsome man who says his name is Jack

xcheopis

Pleiadian Light posted:

Does it run smoother now and that weird knocking sound has stopped?

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anxiety sucks. That is all.

Escape From Noise

My water is in the shop again. Starting to become a real money pit.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

:glomp:

Anxiety can GO TO HECK!!¡!! in my opinion!!!!!!!

xcheopis

Zil posted:

Sucks and blows, imho.

Escape From Noise

Anxiety is not a good time. I hope there's a bit of maxin' & relaxin' in your immediate future.

Manifisto

Pleiadian Light posted:

Trap 'em early, or while they're weak. Sow distrust of everyone that isn't "us". Gaslight them with journaling of every detail of what everyone does. Sow paranoia from this. Entrench their life so deep into the group that to leave would destroy them. Financials are managed by the leader, and if you ever leave they will make your life hell.

that all sounds right. I had typed up a few notes but I realized it's pretty unbyob. I think it's important stuff for people to be aware of though.

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I really really want to eat and entire mango but I might throw up if I do, I already ate a whole hamburger

I need to borrow someone else's guts but I get the taste part

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

that all sounds right. I had typed up a few notes but I realized it's pretty unbyob. I think it's important stuff for people to be aware of though.

Yea, gotta keep thing BYOB

Prof. Crocodile

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also kids don't join a cult, unless you're totally prepared for a wild rear end ride.

sounds like *someone* hasn’t heard the good news of the 18 hour probation.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Prof. Crocodile posted:

sounds like *someone* hasn’t heard the good news of the 18 hour probation.

Scroll lol

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Please enjoy a photo, byob

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

That's really really really good colors. God drat.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

I really really want to eat and entire mango but I might throw up if I do, I already ate a whole hamburger

I need to borrow someone else's guts but I get the taste part

I'm always ready for some extra fiber. I'm in!

Escape From Noise

Pleiadian Light posted:

Quite the snap!

cruft

Pleiadian Light posted:

It looks like a rocket launch.

Escape From Noise

Woke up with Pittsburgh To Lebanon stuck in my head for some reason. Now I'm listening to Locust Abortion Technician. GodDAMN what an album! I can never really decide on a favorite Butthole Surfers album. It's probably Locust Abortion Technician or Independent Worm Saloon, but Electric Larry Land is also a very strong contender.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Mormon Nailer posted:

That's really really really good colors. God drat.

Oh thank you, I've been exploring how to bend light lately.

cruft

I got our yard certified as a wildlife habitat as a present for Ms cruft, who has been putting a lot of work into it with an eye toward the local critters. Turns out she'd done all the stuff we needed to qualify. We get a metal sign to put on the fence or something now, kind of like a "someone thinks we did a good job on the yard" badge we can point to when someone gives us crap about letting the lawn die (it's the desert here for crying out loud).

(Nobody has ever given us crap about letting the lawn die)

Stoner Sloth

cruft posted:

I got our yard certified as a wildlife habitat as a present for Ms cruft, who has been putting a lot of work into it with an eye toward the local critters. Turns out she'd done all the stuff we needed to qualify. We get a metal sign to put on the fence or something now, kind of like a "someone thinks we did a good job on the yard" badge we can point to when someone gives us crap about letting the lawn die (it's the desert here for crying out loud).

(Nobody has ever given us crap about letting the lawn die)

:nice:

also good on you for not doing that ridiculous thing of watering lawns in the desert - waaaaay too many Australians have some weird mental hang up about lawns so i approve of this and your newly official wildlife habitat!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Escape From Noise

Yeah. New Mexico is weird like that. There was a push for xeriscaping all the time but people still wanted green lawns and stuff, despite there being a lot of water restrictions. From the time I moved there in junior high, until I left at 20 there was a draught but the rich jerks in Las Campanas refused to water their precious golf course with grey water. Some of them even have pools. They probably just paid the fines for overuse and complained about it.

Escape From Noise

I have a question for Hamjobs (or anyone else with suggestions), what Anita Lane albums would you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps

Escape From Noise posted:

Woke up with Pittsburgh To Lebanon stuck in my head for some reason. Now I'm listening to Locust Abortion Technician. GodDAMN what an album! I can never really decide on a favorite Butthole Surfers album. It's probably Locust Abortion Technician or Independent Worm Saloon, but Electric Larry Land is also a very strong contender.

Independent worm saloon is an all time great album. It's been awhile since I have surfed some butthole. Have to remedy that this weekend