Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a four year old who sometimes won't go to sleep until 11:00. sucks rear end
Mine was in this phase for a while because in daycare they would take naps in the afternoon, causing them to just not be tired until 10:30 at best. I ended up just giving up and when it was bedtime at 8pm, I'd just go to sleep along side them. I'd then wake from this power nap at around 9-10pm and would see that they're fast asleep. It threw off my night and sleep, but I then had some free time at night and there were no arguments or frustrations to be had.

edit, eventually they were out of daycare and no longer took naps, so they'd naturally be tired at 8-9ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
posting this here for all of you to also inflict endless psychological trauma to your kids

just, don’t use the drake meme since he’s a sex pest

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Insanite posted:

zero sleep regressions in almost two years

after we got the kid onto a 730pm-630am schedule, it stuck

feels good

this is literally how she was right up until last week, it owned

the only solace is knowing it will end

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gringostar posted:

posting this here for all of you to also inflict endless psychological trauma to your kids

just, don’t use the drake meme since he’s a sex pest

gonna wish my kid good luck on graduating high school by taking out an ad in the yearbook that is a loss edit picturing her running through the hospital to an image of the school sitting on the bed at the end

"REMEMBER [kid], YOU CAN ALWAYS MOVE PAST IT, AND HEAL"

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Good soup! posted:

this is literally how she was right up until last week, it owned

the only solace is knowing it will end

no…. no!

this is a paradise that can never end!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it took us loving years to figure out sleep with our first child. eventually we realized we had different bedtime routines. once we synched that up it was sooooo much easier. for our second kid, they were in the same room and she just took to her older siblings schedule. 8pm to 7am for years. oldest is 9 now and they get up and do morning chores and get ready before we even get up

they're probably serial killers or something

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr

train store is dope. mine was one of like 6 blonde train boys. I guess that’s a type

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
wow that's one of those places that makes me really happy that it exists while simultaneously wondering how it still exists

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
our new little guy just hit 1 month and I'm really looking forward to this fascinating concept of a "sleep schedule"

Right now my wife is up nonstop cluster feeding and I'm up nonstop helping him through the subsequent cluster farting and boy I would like to sleep for more than two hours at a time

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
you got about 6 months before you can try some sleep training and try to get some sleep but it gets better!(eventually)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

our new little guy just hit 1 month and I'm really looking forward to this fascinating concept of a "sleep schedule"

Right now my wife is up nonstop cluster feeding and I'm up nonstop helping him through the subsequent cluster farting and boy I would like to sleep for more than two hours at a time
Sometimes my wife would pump enough so that she could get a full night's sleep while I did an all-nighter. We'd alternate those a few times a week. It felt amazing just getting 5-7 hours of sleep.

Anyways look forward to this,
Kid rolled on the ground freaking out for an hour after realizing that, after making popsicles, they wouldn't be immediately ready to eat. Having to wait a day for something is the equivalent of the world ending.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
oh yeah we got a rock tumbler and that was a fun lesson in waiting.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Willzilla posted:

train store is dope. mine was one of like 6 blonde train boys. I guess that’s a type

Aww man that makes me want to move back to Richmond. Just across the James River there is an awesome train museum that we used to take my son to that he loved. He doesn't really like trains anymore though (it's all swords and minecraft and smash bros these days)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my first kid would not sleep for more than 2 hours at a time until she was like 16 months old, and we lived in a small 1 bedroom apartment so you couldn't escape the crying

everything after that has been smooth sailing by comparison tbh, even after adding 2 more kids to the mix

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was hanging out with my older brother last night and he has one kid. a two year old.

I invited him to the driving range and he said "oh I can't I have to watch [son] and [wife] can't do it solo."

they want to have a second one. it's the worst idea on the planet.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Someone gave my child a Christmas edition Big Mouth Billy Bass we found while we were cleaning out the garage and oh boy let me tell you, I will take any aforementioned terrible YouTube channel 24x7 straight to my brain than listen to one second of this demonic artifact. My only hope is to encourage the child to play with it so roughly that it breaks.

I'm pretty sure the design and construction of this device came from an ancient tome of unspeakable evil. No toy or video to date has managed to produce such a visceral reaction in me.

Join me in my pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5MShp3FUv8

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
everyone in the 90s: get this-- it's a fish. but it sings lmao

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
the fish sings!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The first Billy Bass being assembled broke one of the seals of the apocalypse.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a four year old who sometimes won't go to sleep until 11:00. sucks rear end

nite kids!!!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I love pbs kids, but there is something, I don't know, lifeless? Just not as good? Between the CGI toons and the 2d stuff and if isn't just me being a curmudgeon about loving traditional (looking) cartoons for kids and poo poo. Both my wife and my brother alluded to the same thing after watching a block of shows and the getting to Ready Jet Go which I feel like I should like (I loving LOVE SCIENCE), but just has that lifeless wannabe DreamWorks vibe to it all and if prefer not to watch it

Which means I'm doomed to have a kid that loves it lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like Nature Cat.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm honestly happy whenever the kid watches Teen Titans Go. It's probably the least awful thing she consumes.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Basically if it has a plot I'm satisfied

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Help my kids are getting into anime

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

the year or so of only watching pinkfong and lovely little angel videos are behind me now thank god. do not have grand parents expose your kids to shows because they don’t give a poo poo and you have to deal with the fall out for months.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sonatinas posted:

do not have grand parents expose your kids to shows because they don’t give a poo poo and you have to deal with the fall out for months.

paw patrol

:negative:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Help my kids are getting into anime

is it good anime

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

U-DO Burger posted:

is it good anime

You're asking the wrong guy. Its on Netflix.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

fosborb posted:

paw patrol

i straight up banned paw patrol, she asks for it and I’m like we don’t have it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sonatinas posted:

i straight up banned paw patrol, she asks for it and I’m like we don’t have it

Same, absolutely no way we're ever putting that on

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

paw patrol

So glad I've avoided that show. Kid went through an annoying pinkfong phase but we quickly got'em hooked on True, Starbeam, Story Bots, and other similar shows. Currently heavy on Wild Kratz and Peg + Cat.

Agree about the 3D PBS shows, they're just so empty feeling. Whereas True/Starbeam and others are much more lively and enjoyable.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think you need to have cable or pay for something to get Paw Patrol because it's never even an option in anything we typically use.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I forbid the Paw Patrol cartoons but family keeps giving her the toys and I'm not a monster enough to take a toy away from her once she has it if it's not directly dangerous (obligatory "trusting the cops is suicide"), but I make sure she knows that Chase is a very bad doggie who is mean to the good and useful doggies like Rubble and Rocky. If Paw Patrol excluded the pigdog, I'd probably be fine with it, since firefighting and recycling and rescue operations are all good and fine things. In most situations in the show, Chase seems to only be useful at bossing everyone else around while taking the credit.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
whos that cspam poster who just loving hates firefighters? i could use a paw patrol rant from them. get some hate for marshal too. "probably pops car windows if they're even near hydrants when they dont need to just to prove a point" etc

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

my daughter threw this in the trash and then acted like it was something to be ashamed of smh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Top quality work, imo

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
my 6 and 9 year olds also regularly call me a n00b and "grief" each other. I really need them back in a real classroom

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
oh and for anyone with artistically inclined kids, we discovered (pre pandemic) that some of those "wine and art" studios do kids classes. My daughter did this at 7

we found this great Chinese American teacher who does art classes on zoom, right now they're working on the shuimo or freehand watercolor technique. She's the only white kid in the class lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
My three and a half year old had a meltdown because she saw me peeing and I had to tell her she wouldn't grow a penis. She is developing an amazing sense of humor though and it's fantastic to see it come out. We are not religious but my parents are and she was reciting a prayer and at the end she just yelled A POOP and started cackling like an insane person.