Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Looking it up, she once changed her size. You are right about her mom. She also has a treble clef on her shirt and has earphones.

So Unison being A2’s mom is canon then? Where was that stated out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

So Unison being A2’s mom is canon then? Where was that stated out of curiosity?

No text, just the same visual cues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS2JaqkLvk

Her shirt as a kid even has the steps Unison's has.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

No text, just the same visual cues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS2JaqkLvk

Her shirt as a kid even has the steps Unison's has.

Ah ok, that makes sense then (not entirely sure how a giant kaiju and a kid sized digital being could have a child but I’d rather not question it)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 14, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, that makes sense then (not entirely sure how a giant kaiju and a kid sized digital being could have a child but I’d rather not question it)
Well, as far as this goes both were inhabitants of the Computer World before Akane made it parallel our world more closely so it's not like there were necessarily the same "rules" on anything there. Maybe it's Pokemon game rules and she just found an egg in a box by Anosillus one day.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
ah that was a really good episode, the best one yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, Anti seems to have been taking fashion tips from Samurai Calibur in the years between this and Gridman

Kind of a pity this series is almost over now (I believe it’s supposed to be the same length as the last one), I hope they keep doing these Gridman related animes every so often (next up, how about finally making the Gridman Sigma we never got back in the 90’s).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 15, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1393287311325110275?s=20

Thread.

lih
May 15, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also, Anti seems to have been taking fashion tips from Samurai Calibur in the years between this and Gridman

Kind of a pity this series is almost over now (I believe it’s supposed to be the same length as the last one), I hope they keep doing these Gridman related animes every so often (next up, how about finally making the Gridman Sigma we never got back in the 90’s).

we're just past halfway, it's not almost over yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

lih posted:

we're just past halfway, it's not almost over yet.

We’re 7 episodes into a 12 episode series, that’s still pretty close to me

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
gently caress that ruled.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
It's kind of hilarious how actively and fervently this series resists any kind of clarity.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

It's kind of hilarious how actively and fervently this series resists any kind of clarity.

I mean, so did Gridman, and then it all made sense in the end.

I've learned the hard way not to have too much faith in people, but precedent suggests that most of this will be much simpler to understand in hindsight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’re already past the halfway point of the series and a direct connection with the previous show has now been established, I imagine we’re going to start getting some answers pretty soon.

Like I said, I kind of hope they keep doing these little Gridman animes every so often, both shows have been really fun so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

We’re already past the halfway point of the series and a direct connection with the previous show has now been established, I imagine we’re going to start getting some answers pretty soon.

Like I said, I kind of hope they keep doing these little Gridman animes every so often, both shows have been really fun so far.

They've been smooth productions, the first one was a surprising success, and this one seems to be doing well in Japan from what I can find. Makes sense they'd keep things going. I mean, not a guarantee, but with BNA flopping, I think it's reasonable to expect Trigger would let Amemiya do more toku anime if he wants, and Tsuburaya isn't going to complain if their more Z-lister properties get some spotlight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m personally hoping for a fully realized Gridman Sigma series next myself (I’d also take a show about the adventures of Anti/Knight and his kaiju girlfriend).

lih
May 15, 2013

I think this episode was actually fairly clarifying about some things. For one, the world seems to be another computer world but not the same one as Akane's, based on what Anti/Knight said. I think Dynazenon just has more characters and plot threads than Gridman did and that's why it's been a tiny bit slower to really play its hand. It was clear earlier on in Gridman that Akane was the emotional focal point of the series while there's just more going on here and things are just a little less clear.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I also note that Chise is apparently real enough to buy herself an ice cream solo.

She was also real enough to win tickets to a water park.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I was already glad Chise was real in the second episode, but she's definitely still got weird stuff going on that hasn't really been touched yet.

Yume's investigation into Kano is one of the big running stories so I'm sure it'll continue to play out to the end, but she's getting her focus.
Yomogi's problem with his mother getting together with a new guy... probably won't really be more than thematic for his personal growth, since it's really a matter he's got to come to terms with himself. His developing relationship with Yume is a running thread, though.
Koyomi's issues aren't completely resolved but he has made a bit of progress (still would like to know what's in that bag) and gotten some focus.
Gauma's teased a bit on the girl who gave him Dynazenon and his history with the Eugenicists, but he's still pretty light on revelations so I imagine he'll get some deeper revelations by the end.
Chise, in comparison to the others, is... a bit of a fifth wheel. She's skipping school and keeps an arm covered. She picked up one of those kaiju beads early on and it's taking shape into something. She's kind of trying to be the understudy of the team, but mostly she just tries to follow her cousin around. She seems a bit put off by Yomogi and Yume getting along together, though that might be because it makes her feel like there's no room for her to hang out. I also wonder about the rest of her family if she's always at Koyomi's place. We're 7 episodes in and they haven't really focused on her yet. I think we're due.

ANYWAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIum9cd4IMw
7.7 Voice Drama time!
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2021/05/ssssdynazenon-voice-drama-episode-77.html
This time it's Yume talking with Mei on the phone (at the part of the episode where she phones her parents)!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Well I'm just glad Anti and Second finally embraced personal hygiene and aren't living as dirty hobo's. Though they might still be hobo's.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
So much good stuff happening this episode that I was fist-pumping for.

Besides what's been mentioned:
- Is this the first time we've seen an actual injury from a kaiju attack? Outside of the one Eugenisist that keeps getting blown up.
- I am pleased I recognized the Umihotaru mall they're at from Shin Godzilla.
- Between Chise's kaiju seed and slight smile when Koyomi hangs up on his school friend gives me a lot of Akane vibes: it seems like a lot of her self-identity is tied up in this relationship, and anything changing it isn't going to go over well.

Hogama posted:

7.7 Voice Drama time!
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2021/05/ssssdynazenon-voice-drama-episode-77.html
This time it's Yume talking with Mei on the phone (at the part of the episode where she phones her parents)!
:airquote: "limestone allergy"

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Not Keyser Soze posted:

A lot of this is the characters' strange reluctance to press anyone who knows what's actually going on for information. Kind of straining my suspension of disbelief at this point that no-one's just insisted that Gauma or the blonde Eugenicist kid explain exactly what's going on and what their views/objectives about it are.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Brutal Garcon posted:

A lot of this is the characters' strange reluctance to press anyone who knows what's actually going on for information. Kind of straining my suspension of disbelief at this point that no-one's just insisted that Gauma or the blonde Eugenicist kid explain exactly what's going on and what their views/objectives about it are.

Gauma said he'd spill the beans 3-4 episodes ago, but never did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if the person who gave Gauma Dynazenon is also another holdover from the last series (Akane herself maybe?)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I believe that gets explained in OG live-action Gridman.

lih
May 15, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I believe that gets explained in OG live-action Gridman.

wait, what does?

my theory at the moment is that the person who gave Gauma Dynazenon is probably this world's former 'god', equivalent to Akane, and part of the Eugenicists' goals are to get her to intervene in the world with her Kaiju again

they also did once press Gauma for information only for him to refuse to tell anyone much

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anti and Second did sort of imply at the beginning that this wasn’t their world so either Dynazenon takes place in the real world city Akane modeled her society after, Akane’s world changed drastically in the years since she left, or there’s someone out there who crafted ANOTHER digital society very similar to hers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Anti and Second did sort of imply at the beginning that this wasn’t their world so either Dynazenon takes place in the real world city Akane modeled her society after, Akane’s world changed drastically in the years since she left, or there’s someone out there who crafted ANOTHER digital society very similar to hers.

Or this is another mental world, and it's someone else's mind. I suspect Chise.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Brutal Garcon posted:

Every scene of seemingly dramatic importance plays out like

"What did Kano say?" "All I know is she said this one, earth-shattering thing..." *long stare* *noisy cicadas*
~smash cut~
"OH NO, A KAIJU!"
sa hajimeyo bokura no mirai wo kachitoru tame niiii

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Darth Walrus posted:

Or this is another mental world, and it's someone else's mind. I suspect Chise.
No

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Walrus has to be trolling at this point.

In that very spirit: people have been making a big deal about how Chise gets ignored all season and what that could imply, I'm calling there's a simpler explanation: Chise's damage is about how she gets ignored all the time, in a perfectly mundane way. She gets miffed every time the team overlooks her or someone was like "whoa, where did you come from," and the kaiju seed(?) in her pocket grows every time she sees people bonding without her (not just Koyomi, as shown in this very episode).

Chise feels constantly excluded and ignored, and she's bitter about it but she's bottling it up because that's what everyone does in SSSS.DYNAZENON, and that's what will lead to her getting a kaiju on her back, as foreshadowed by that shot in the op with the eyes behind her.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 15, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

lih posted:

wait, what does?

my theory at the moment is that the person who gave Gauma Dynazenon is probably this world's former 'god', equivalent to Akane, and part of the Eugenicists' goals are to get her to intervene in the world with her Kaiju again

they also did once press Gauma for information only for him to refuse to tell anyone much

IIRC the plot of the original Gridman episode that Dynazenon showed up in was that the mummy that the jade dragon was found with was a powerful guy who was in love with a lady, but he was betrayed and killed. The lady buried his mummy with the jade dragon which turned out to be Dynazenon, and then she committed suicide.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caphi posted:

Walrus has to be trolling at this point.

In that very spirit: people have been making a big deal about how Chise gets ignored all season and what that could imply, I'm calling there's a simpler explanation: Chise's damage is about how she gets ignored all the time, in a perfectly mundane way. She gets miffed every time the team overlooks her or someone was like "whoa, where did you come from," and the kaiju slime in her pocket grows every time she sees people bonding without her (not just Koyomi, as shown in this very episode).

Chise feels constantly excluded and ignored, and she's bitter about it but she's bottling it up because that's what everyone does in SSSS.DYNAZENON, and that's what will lead to her getting a kaiju on her back, as foreshadowed by that shot in the op with the eyes behind her.

Though there is the question of why she always keeps one arm covered up which I imagine will come into play later (my current theory is that she’s some sort of hybrid kaiju like Second is)

Either that or her arm is fully coated with the aforementioned slime and the glove is a precautionary measure.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 15, 2021

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Larryb posted:

Though there is the question of why she always keeps one arm covered up which I imagine will come into play later (my current theory is that she’s some sort of hybrid kaiju like Second is)

There's also the fact that she dropped out of school? Those are almost definitely related, I think there's a good chance she was bullied as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, there’s definitely some kind of story with Chise but I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get it until near the end of the series.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, it fits with the idea that putting on a mask is a resonant theme. Chise's story isn't coming up because, well, Chise isn't talking about it. Yume is opening up and Koyomi is, after a fashion, working through his regrets. Chise is acting cheery with the group while stewing in the background, the worst place for her to stew.

Yomogi is odd here as well. He looks like he's doing the best out of the team, but his family situation has forced him to work which is distancing him from his friend group, which Dynazenon has only exacerbated. It's just that Yomogi himself is distracted (deliberately?) by focusing on Yume and piloting, and I'm sure that's all going to come back around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For that matter, it could be that the reason Chise keeps her arm covered is because of something more serious (like abuse or something along those lines).

We’ve got 5 episodes left now so I imagine we’ll start finding things out pretty soon at any rate.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't believe that Chise's arm is anything supernatural because she's already tripped over a kaiju giblet. There is no reason to have her affected by two things when one could be the kind of drama that every other main character in the show is also getting.

Something about SSSS makes people want to see fantastic explanations for absolutely everything when both shows have pretty clearly magical realism where the supernatural amplifies the mundane.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I just marathoned the first 7 episodes and I'm a little surprised despite all the speculation about Chise being real, nobody appears to have called out the weirdness of Yume's "childhood friend" Mei, who I'm fairly sure has only ever been shown in 1-on-1 scenes with Yume.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Caphi posted:

Yomogi is odd here as well. He looks like he's doing the best out of the team, but his family situation has forced him to work which is distancing him from his friend group, which Dynazenon has only exacerbated.

Yomogi doesn't have to work, he is saving up money, probably to become independent as soon as possible. He threw the money he got from his mom's boyfriend in a donation box at the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought it was obvious this was another mental world since we know from Gridman the real world is live action. :v: