Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

i've been getting a bit demoralized with ghost of tsushima, working through act 2 as it sinks in just how long the game is. i guess i could start skipping quests...

can we make AAA open-world timesink games illegal already

I hate that this seems to be the default setting like "third person cover based shooter" was a while ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

can we make AAA open-world timesink games illegal already

I hate that this seems to be the default setting like "third person cover based shooter" was a while ago

You'd need to decouple game length from price for that to work, and I can't see that happening any time soon. For better or worse, the metric used to measure the value of a game in marketing is the amount of hours you can wring out of it, even if the lion's share of those hours are flaccid busywork with only tangential relations to the main story. Massive open world games with a million tiny quests are the easiest kind of hour inflation for large game studios to manufacture, since the tools used to construct them can be broadly standardized without requiring substantial investments from the art or programming departments.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nachos posted:

I youtubed the end of outer wilds and it was a top 3 goty for me. Like at some point your time is just better spent doing other poo poo. I look at it as a sign of maturity

did you mean outer worlds? outer wilds is definitely one game where I'd advocate finishing it oneself, at most the final takes under half an hour. then again, if you done "solved" the game and knew what to do, I suppose you aren't robbing yourself of too much by not being the one to physically do it .

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

it was definitely more than half an hour for me, i got bit by a fish at least a dozen times, and i was even using cheatengine to speed up the eight minute wait before the run actually begins. i don't regret it, but i didn't have anything else going on and could give the game all the time it needed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Very fair, I think I'm more imagining them spoiling the entire end's, like, "connecting all the parts in your mind to make a course of action" part. The labor of doing the end can go wrong, I had to try a few times just because I missed up the timing of dodging a cactus to stand somewhere.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's an in-game option to do that thing you dug up cheatengine to do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

dreamless posted:

it was definitely more than half an hour for me, i got bit by a fish at least a dozen times, and i was even using cheatengine to speed up the eight minute wait before the run actually begins. i don't regret it, but i didn't have anything else going on and could give the game all the time it needed.

Was that before they added the campfire timeskip

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was that before they added the campfire timeskip

they added it like a week after :(

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

You'd need to decouple game length from price for that to work, and I can't see that happening any time soon. For better or worse, the metric used to measure the value of a game in marketing is the amount of hours you can wring out of it, even if the lion's share of those hours are flaccid busywork with only tangential relations to the main story. Massive open world games with a million tiny quests are the easiest kind of hour inflation for large game studios to manufacture, since the tools used to construct them can be broadly standardized without requiring substantial investments from the art or programming departments.

Ugh, yeah- if people are by and large satisfied by a bunch of open world C+P sidequests then there's very little chance of anything changing anytime soon. It's just too easy.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'll be damned with Sega dusting off Jet Set Radio I have to take it off the list of series I never thought I'd see again. About time.

E: 19 years since the last one, holy poo poo

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 14, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
BTW I'm still gonna LP those weird Christian anime games, but I might have to use my phone to take pictures of the TV lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Simone Magus posted:

BTW I'm still gonna LP those weird Christian anime games, but I might have to use my phone to take pictures of the TV lol

That's the holiest way. Very respectful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

one of them lo-fi LPs

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Christian anime, much like christian rock, sounds like an oxymoron

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eiji Tsuburaya, the creator of Ultraman, which would not only be influential to tokusatsu but to anime through its inspiration of Evangelion, was extremely Roman Catholic and wanted you to know.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

one of them lo-fi LPs

I'll prolly only post it in here :shobon:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

I played through sf64 dozens and dozens of times as a kid, can’t say that I remember any of the music

I really liked the star wolf music

mkvltra posted:

True. What are some Cool Games that don't wear out their welcome by the second act / 80-90% mark?

katana zero and metal gear rising.

Draga posted:

Mirror's Edge has the better Still Alive.

:agreed:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 14, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Anime, like all media, loves religious iconography

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hell yes they do

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I played Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS up until the last boss God, but I guess I was too low level or something because I could not beat him, and that was 100+ hours in so I was pretty sick of grinding at that point.

Reading a guide I apparently got to the end of Act 2 which means the game is like, one level away from being done, but I was finally willing to accept that, no, the game was no actually going to ever get better after 80 hours and that the game was just kind of okay and I never finished it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
still best use of bible lore in videogames:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mkvltra posted:

True. What are some Cool Games that don't wear out their welcome by the second act / 80-90% mark?

Resident Evil Remake.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Platinum games usually have pretty good finales

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mkvltra posted:

The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

still best use of bible lore in videogames:

I was going to post El Shaddai but the Book of Enoch isn't canon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

haveblue posted:

Yeah, Disney threw out so much good EU when they bought Star Wars.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Poor Luuke Skywalker

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nar Shaddai: Ascension of the Kylekatarn

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Disney threw out so much good EU when they bought Star Wars.

The Gospel of Luke, Luuke, Luuuke, and Luuuuke.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Final Fantasy XIV Fanfest rules

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So Square-Enix basically put a Chrono Trigger location into Final Fantasy XIV.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And the new job is a Bloodborne

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

So I finally got back onto 13 Sentinels after dropping it at the end of last year for various reasons, primarily related to Cyberpunk 2077. I'm around ~80% completion on Remebrance and I think the entire Destruction wing of the game is bad and makes it a worse overall experience. I don't think the combat is fun or interesting and it's ugly to look at. It ruins the pacing because you're expected to self-pace the combat, which ended up with me totally ignoring it until I was forced to play it for further unlocks and resenting that it even exists. I probably wouldn't have much issue with it if it was actually broken up and placed in the narrative in interesting spots, but it isn't. That all being said, I think the story of the game is so good that I'm willing to slog through the combat stuff to keep going. I can say that now, even without being done with it, 13 Sentinels is probably going to be one of the best games I play this year, but it doesn't really raise to the level of the all-time greats for me.

Extreme caveat that I'm not quite done yet so this opinion may change.

I disagree with your thoughts about the combat but thanks for the excuse to make yakisoba (pan)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Neither are the Gnostic texts but that hasn't stopped the entirety of the Xeno_____ series from being a bunch of scifi with crosses glued on.

La Pucelle is another anime rpg filled to the brim with Christian iconography.

Then there is 3rd gen Pokemon where most of the legendaries were inspired by Abrahamic religion.

Not even gonna touch on the SMT series or I'd be here all day.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
https://twitter.com/Mr_Crispyboi/status/1393375657757970432

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That doesn’t help me

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pfft, I've had Blackbosom's scythe for like 5 years now or whatever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Pfft, I've had Blackbosom's scythe for like 5 years now or whatever.
yeah i'm already like 8 different kinds of reaper. big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Reaper reaper that's what people call me