Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Revitalized posted:

Wait until you get to stage 5!

Well, just gave this a shot and... yeah, I'm not even going to bother playing this unless I have a mod that gives me something other than the loving LEMI. drat it Capcom, did you really have to make this as terrible as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I think that might be what's going on with me because I crafted Heisenbergs key, then went to the nearby rooms that it unlocked, spotted the other room that it unlocked on the map, which was obviously the critical path, and also tried to make my way back to the merchant, I could find neither and just found myself running in circles while going bone dry on ammo from killing all of the drill guys everywhere

I swear every time I tried to use the map, swapping through floors to figure out how to actually move around in there it somehow got more confusing and I gave up for the night.

Basically once you need to go back to the foundry to make the key you need to backtrack a bit through that red glow corridor, down the stairs to the elevator, opposite of that is the Labyrinth, then you go up for the second horse door.

You need to get back down to take the elevator back up,which tripped me up cause you hey turn off the light.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Basically once you need to go back to the foundry to make the key you need to backtrack a bit through that red glow corridor, down the stairs to the elevator, opposite of that is the Labyrinth, then you go up for the second horse door.

You need to get back down to take the elevator back up,which tripped me up cause you hey turn off the light.

Cool thanks.

It's funny that I was complaining about what a labyrinth the factory is and the thing I am failing to find is apparently an actual labyrinth lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In the foundry you get to the final horse door on B2 you can't progress past without heisenbergs key you take the duke-a-vator back down to B4 and progress through the now dark corridor the exact same way you did the first time and make your ball and heisnberg key. Then you walk out the exact same way you came in but theres some enemies now. Then ride the duke-a-vator back to B2. It takes about a minute.

Time to rebeat the game with the 1911, gods own handgun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I couldn't find the elevator again either lol. I was just stuck in that area with zero landmarks and 20 drillmen. I'm sure it was just some door I was missing but it was driving me bonkers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got done with the story. Have to say, for me the first chapter in Castle Dimitrescu was the absolute high point, and the rest of the game unfortunately never quite manages to get that good again.

Villa Beneviento was an atmospheric level, but the way it was placed in the story blunted the horror quite a lot. It was contextualized as just another checkbox to be killed, so it's hard to really feel threatened. It doesn't help that Donna is barely a character, either. Moreau was the weakest part, combining an bland area with a one-note character. Heisenberg was an entertaining antagonist, but the area was brought down by terrible level design of the "gray/brown hallway maze with bulletsponges" variety. Finally, Mother Miranda could've been cool, but her whole deal was dropped on the player so suddenly it had not enough time to breathe. On the whole the game felt pretty disjointed, especially the two middle episodes were so self-contained that they barely contributed to the whole.

Basically what I'm saying is give me a standalone Dimitrescu prequel. :v:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

It's taken me two entire games to notice it but Ethan Winters is survival horror Clark Griswold.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The late-game miniboss flamethrowing propeller beast was extremely cool. Reminded me of MGS3 as the fight got more dire, perfect blend of camp action and proper intensity.. I finished with 4 handgun bullets and little else with health in the red. While it's obviously no Doom, they did a fair job making the FPS action work better in this game with their enemy patterns/designs while keeping the tactile feel of the world I liked in 7. The major on-foot encounters the fur beasts, axe giants + head werewolf, propeller man, final boss I generally liked more than 7's, although a couple bosses Lady D dragon, giant robot were more dull.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sigher posted:

Maybe Keyboard and Mouse is too much for this game but it doesn't look like there's really any better choice of weapon other than the Sniper Rifle in The Mercenaries; headshots are pretty easy in this game and with enough upgrades your damage output will one-hit mostly everything with a body shot. I start by selling off the pistol and it's ammo at the beginning to just have an OP Sniper Rifle right off the bat. It sucks though because I wish you could just do a quick "sell all" on ammo, but I don't think you can and you start with so much Pistol Ammo it takes so long just to sell it.

Managed to finish the game up Knife Only (Karambit, god bless) without crafting in 2:07 on Casual and I'm surprised at how easy it was. Knifing the bosses to death was mad tedious though. Next run is going to be on VoS for the Hardcore/VoS achievements and get the rest of the weapons maxed out but I don't think I'll have enough money from one run in order to do so, which sucks. I know one achievement is to have all weapons maxed out, does that mean in your inventory? Can you even hold them all? Or can I just max something out, sell it to Duke and just keep what I want one me as long as at some point, I owned the weapon maxed out?

The achievement is to buy/install all attachments but it doesn’t have to be all in one save. The same applies to unlimited ammo. So what you want to do is save some money, save the game, then buy all the attachments that you can and make a separate save then load back to the first save and buy everything else.

For unlimited ammo it’s the same principle. You can fully upgrade a weapon, make a new save, go unlock unlimited ammo for it, then load your previous save before spending all your money and still have unlimited ammo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lmao I’m mainlining this poo poo like heroin. I’m currently on run number…. Five. Getting the goats this time around then moving up to merc where my last 2 trophies remain. I should be getting the plat this weekend (hopefully!)

EDIT: after playing through it again I’m confident with my assessment that Heisenberg (VoS difficulty) is the worst thing this game has to offer.

I finished hardcore yesterday afternoon and decided I hated life so my run last night was -

* Under 3 hours
* Spending no money
* Crafting nothing
* Knife only

Ouch. Luckily I chose to do it on casual.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

sigher posted:

Managed to finish the game up Knife Only (Karambit, god bless) without crafting in 2:07 on Casual and I'm surprised at how easy it was. Knifing the bosses to death was mad tedious though. Next run is going to be on VoS for the Hardcore/VoS achievements and get the rest of the weapons maxed out but I don't think I'll have enough money from one run in order to do so, which sucks. I know one achievement is to have all weapons maxed out, does that mean in your inventory? Can you even hold them all? Or can I just max something out, sell it to Duke and just keep what I want one me as long as at some point, I owned the weapon maxed out?

The trophy/achievement is for having all the upgrades on the guns, and you can sell the guns with the upgrades on them and it will still count.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Starting mercenaries now and the first stages are indeed fun. Looks like they’re also fairly viable with your weapon of choices and abilities are mostly good. It’s somewhat tough to keep a combo alive through the entire area while also looking for stragglers especially those shambling ones that are just laying dead. Getting S rank on these won’t be too bad but I’ve yet to get to the “tough”/bullshit later ones.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Starting mercenaries now and the first stages are indeed fun. Looks like they’re also fairly viable with your weapon of choices and abilities are mostly good. It’s somewhat tough to keep a combo alive through the entire area while also looking for stragglers especially those shambling ones that are just laying dead. Getting S rank on these won’t be too bad but I’ve yet to get to the “tough”/bullshit later ones.

It looks like the tough stages later on are more about survival than they are getting kill combos. I almost got an S-rank by nearing the end of the second level on village.

I'm sure combos and time bonuses help a lot too, but SS will probably be possible by just surviving to the end of the latter four stages.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The foundry tripped me up pretty hard too the first couple times, and yeah the map doesn't help worth poo poo there either

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Arrrthritis posted:

It looks like the tough stages later on are more about survival than they are getting kill combos. I almost got an S-rank by nearing the end of the second level on village.

I'm sure combos and time bonuses help a lot too, but SS will probably be possible by just surviving to the end of the latter four stages.

You can probably get to S rank if you combo decently and once you have enough you beeline right for the exit, but to get SS you definitely will have to rely on high combo counts on earlier levels and then surviving later levels while getting some okay combos. Just surviving won’t be enough.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I got a B on Village II despite dying in Area 2.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1393280322352123909

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
oh my god village of shadows is fun lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sooo theoretically the ending could’ve been avoided if Chris left Ethan unconscious in his home instead of transporting him in the same truck with his daughter and the corpse of centuries old morphing god woman even though they loving know a mold creature isn’t dead until it crumbles.

The moral of Resident Evil as a series is that everyone makes the poorest decisions possible unless that decision is how to shoot something in the face.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

al-azad posted:

Sooo theoretically the ending could’ve been avoided if Chris left Ethan unconscious in his home instead of transporting him in the same truck with his daughter and the corpse of centuries old morphing god woman even though they loving know a mold creature isn’t dead until it crumbles.

The moral of Resident Evil as a series is that everyone makes the poorest decisions possible unless that decision is how to shoot something in the face.

It really can't be understated just how much of a dumbass everyone involved is. I enjoyed how the final stretch of the game is basically Chris constantly going "gently caress gently caress poo poo gently caress I hosed up so bad poo poo gently caress".

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It probably didn't really help that the site Chris was having them transported to was likely in spitting distance of the village if not actually in it because he doesn't even have 10 guys to work with.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It doesn't matter if Umbrella is good or bad, they're stunningly incompetent either way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When every problem is a boulder…

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just want a scene where Wesker finds out about what happened and we get the classic Chris/Wesker scene from RE1, but reversed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chris should stick to punching boulders.

“I TOLDJA STAY OUTTA MY WAY ETHAN!”

Sooo how about a ride home please?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Chris just naively assumed Ethan would avoid all the wolfmen and escape by briskly jogging past their attacks

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone happen to know the unlock cost of the Infinite Rocket Pistol ammo? I've got pretty much everything I wanted now and am spreadsheeting it up to see how much more I can get without worrying about the big Mercenaries points.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love how the game turns into Call of Duty for a little bit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just reached The Village II on Mercenaries.

I see what everyone means now.

lol gently caress you, game.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I just realized a funny detail about the ending.

Chris just before credits: loving BSAA using bioweapons, lets go do something about it.
Post-credits: Chris is training, and probably using, a teenage bioweapon

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maybe the next game can feature Jill or idk Sheva anyone but pouty doughy Chris.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Chris just before credits: loving BSAA using bioweapons, lets go do something about it.

Tbf the bsaa are using some sort of modified t virus guys, which isn't really the same as girl born with powers

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

al-azad posted:

Maybe the next game can feature Jill or idk Sheva anyone but pouty doughy Chris.

The triumphant return of Josh "A Legend" Stone.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

Well, just gave this a shot and... yeah, I'm not even going to bother playing this unless I have a mod that gives me something other than the loving LEMI. drat it Capcom, did you really have to make this as terrible as possible?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just reached The Village II on Mercenaries.

I see what everyone means now.

lol gently caress you, game.

it's even worse for me because I'm playing on a console (for trophies) and I suck rear end at aiming with a joystick. Gotta make those pea shooter shots count to maintain combo (and not die)

Control Volume posted:

Chris just naively assumed Ethan would avoid all the wolfmen and escape by briskly jogging past their attacks

Chris: "Cmon man, just speedrun this, we've all had to do it."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah on PS5 and this poo poo is not fun! I can consistently get through the first area but the arrow fuckers on the 2nd get me every time.

I’d need like the most bullshit luck with abilities just to stand a chance and even the. I don’t see how it happening. Not with this pistol.

I’m the trophy only needs S so maybe it’s something you can obtain by bailing on the 2nd and 3rd area immediately when you reach the objective?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I mean, with those guns he was packing in RE5 I'd argue that Chris is a bioweapon himself.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’d need like the most bullshit luck with abilities just to stand a chance

This is one thing I don't really like about Mercenaries; the RNG of the abilities. Some of them are just completely worthless in general, or pointless depending on your loadout and some of them are so OP and beneficial you'd be dumb not taking them but you might not ever be offered them. Anything that boosts the Knife seems to be worthless, even with the unlockable Masamune skill (10x knife damage but all other damage is nerfed) I wasn't doing one hit kills in Village II. Anything that gives HP back or boosts defense doesn't seem to really have any utility. Agility, Lightning Speed, Corpse Combuster, Pistol/Shotgun Master, No Brainer, Breakshot, Execution and All Brawn are just sooo good. It feels like you need the perfect RNG to get perfect loadouts just to stand a chance for the Pistol only levels.

They also need to add a timer or something on the combo counter (yeah, I know it subtly flashes a bit faster but that's not noticeable in the heat of action) so you know how soon you have to score your next kill.

I will say, memorizing a route, getting it down so you complete the area with a full combo feels pretty good but it feels like there's only one viable route when it comes to getting a full combo which kinda sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just came super close from an S rank on Village 2. I think I have the route down but I got lucky with a TON of health/survival abilities that allowed me to tank hits that’s would have otherwise killed me. Also buying the Magnum for the 5 big fuckers and final werewolf is a must. All I need is to get a good long combo on the first area then I can just clear the other 2 without worrying too much for combos.

(S is all I’m going since that’s what the trophy calls for.m)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just came super close from an S rank on Village 2. I think I have the route down but I got lucky with a TON of health/survival abilities that allowed me to tank hits that’s would have otherwise killed me. Also buying the Magnum for the 5 big fuckers and final werewolf is a must. All I need is to get a good long combo on the first area then I can just clear the other 2 without worrying too much for combos.

(S is all I’m going since that’s what the trophy calls for.m)

I just gave it another try right now, I don't know if you have adaptive triggers on (PS5), but turning it off really helps with pistol spam.

I say this as a person who really loves the immersion that adaptive triggers bring, but if mercenaries is gonna go try-hard on me, I had to try something.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Chris is also such a dick for no reason. When he tells you to leave it alone and you're out of your depth you've killed a giant vampire lady and her 3 vampire daughters and numerous werewolves. You have single-handedly achieved more than a town full of people and numerous shady organisations. Ethan Winters is the most competent character in the entire series.

I did have a genuine laugh over chainsaw tank though. I love how the series always straight faces the absurdity..

One of the biggest crimes is the deliberate toning down of scares. So much of that setting was made for it but they never really do that much with it. Someone mentioned earlier that the area under the castle and that portion of the game feels cut down and I'm inclined to agree. At times the game is oddly just empty in areas where it doesn't feel like it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Is the rocket pistol you get for beating the game on VoS any good? How is it compared to the fully upgraded STAKE?