Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Relevant Tangent posted:

The calvary owns so hard and they're such a minor part of the story.

The desert horse dudes who literally ride into and up the huge gently caress off wall? Yeah they were amazing.

It's an older book and it's by Ben Counter but if you haven't you really really should read Daemon World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

Daemon World by Ben Counter owns even though it's by Ben Counter.

I guess that's another one of those I need to reread because I've had it for years now and wasn't too enthused by when I first read it. The ending, while kinda neat in hindsight, was a bit too unexpected and kinda soured me on the book.
But it must've been a decade and a half since I read so I might reconsider that opinion.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Facehammer posted:

Ben Counter has written some absolute belters, despite himself.

The first Grey Knights book is quite possibly the most metal thing ever written.

deffo belter tier

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Someone help me out real quick with a SoT question:
Mortis is the next full-book volume after Saturnine, and Fury of Mangus - while set during the siege - is only an ancillary novella, yes?

I'm planning on grabbing it anyway, since I'm a sucker for the Thousand Sons, just wanted to know if I can binge it before starting Mortis, or if it doesn't really matter when I cram it in.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Waiting on Mortis to come out on audiobook, so picked up Titandeath after seeing it brought up on this page.

I'm about half finished and it's regressed a bit to Guy Haley's normal level , but early on it has one of the coolest chapters and most epic visualizations that I think I've ever read in a BL book.

A girl on horseback charging in to pick up the token in a game a Capture the Flag with nobles wearing steam-powered Knight suits, then out-racing them all to the finish line, where the winner's house gets Mechanicum patronage.

Super evocative and well-written scene.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just finished the first Gaunt's Ghosts book and... It was fine. It didn't grab me like Dan's Inquisitor stuff or his HH stuff. I may come back to the series eventually but eh.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I just finished the first Gaunt's Ghosts book and... It was fine. It didn't grab me like Dan's Inquisitor stuff or his HH stuff. I may come back to the series eventually but eh.

You’re supposed to start with Necropolis, which is the third book. The first two are just collections of one shot stories.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

The first book is the weakest by a lot. The second is skippable, the third is incredible and by 6 or so onward it’s nonstop bangers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't diss Ghostmaker, it's fine.

The first two Gaunt's Ghosts novels are collections of abnett's short stories and they aren't as good as his full novels but they do inform you about several of the characters. Ghostmaker in particular is mainly there to establish the group dynamic of Gaunt and most of the main POV Tanith Troopers.

Then Necropolis throws them into mega stalingrad.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Going by the numbers given its more like a double Stalingrad.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Huh, that's interesting. Well I'll jump back into them eventually, after the absurd stack of other BL books I have :negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Numbers given puts the amount of Zoican troops at around 15 million cultists versus 2000 Tanith, maybe 10,000 Volpone and a Narmenian Armoured Regiment plus 500,000 Verghastite PDF (most of whom were killed during the initial fighting before Vervunhive went under siege).

A bit more than a double stalingrad.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Since everyone has covered Necropolis already, I'll just suggest reading a chapter of Ghostmaker here and there between the other books in that stack you're working on. It really is just a collection of character focused short stories housed in a frame tale, there's no need to push through it all at once. I have fond memories of a couple of the stories from it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Numbers given puts the amount of Zoican troops at around 15 million cultists versus 2000 Tanith, maybe 10,000 Volpone and a Narmenian Armoured Regiment plus 500,000 Verghastite PDF (most of whom were killed during the initial fighting before Vervunhive went under siege).

A bit more than a double stalingrad.

So like, six or seven times stalingrad.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

my arbitrary ranking of the GG books based on how I feel today
1) only in death
2) sabbat martyr
3) necropolis
4) blood pact
5) traitor general
6) salvation’s reach
7) the anarch
8) the warmaster
9) straight silver
10) armor of contempt
11) the guns of tanith
12) honor guard
13) his last command
14) ghostmaker
15) first and only

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Biplane posted:

So like, six or seven times stalingrad.

Yeah that's more like it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

abrosheen posted:

Since everyone has covered Necropolis already, I'll just suggest reading a chapter of Ghostmaker here and there between the other books in that stack you're working on. It really is just a collection of character focused short stories housed in a frame tale, there's no need to push through it all at once. I have fond memories of a couple of the stories from it.
Bragg's story :unsmith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Bragg's story :unsmith:

The only proper use of kek is as a 40K pejorative to try and insult the giant man who is smarter than you think.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Someone help me out real quick with a SoT question:
Mortis is the next full-book volume after Saturnine, and Fury of Mangus - while set during the siege - is only an ancillary novella, yes?

I'm planning on grabbing it anyway, since I'm a sucker for the Thousand Sons, just wanted to know if I can binge it before starting Mortis, or if it doesn't really matter when I cram it in.

Read Fury of Magnus whenever. It takes place "during the siege", probably just before Saturnine if I remember correctly. But it Is very ancillary. It's a tale worth hearing though, pick it up at some point.

Also, this is the one true voice actor for Magnus,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8dsGuRPKQ&t=2211s

That's the VA for Magnus, from If The Emperor Had A Text To Speech Device, doing a guest spot on Oculus Imperia. I love his take on Magnus in the TTS series, but when he plays him straight he's still good. So is the Oculus, you should check that series out.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

mllaneza posted:

That's the VA for Magnus, from If The Emperor Had A Text To Speech Device, doing a guest spot on Oculus Imperia. I love his take on Magnus in the TTS series, but when he plays him straight he's still good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6adES3Z0Qag

I agree. Also this redub video has a higher viewcount than the official one.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

1) only in death
2) sabbat martyr
3) necropolis
4) blood pact
5) traitor general
6) salvation’s reach
7) the anarch
8) the warmaster
9) straight silver
10) armor of contempt
11) the guns of tanith
12) honor guard
13) his last command
14) ghostmaker
15) first and only

I was getting prepped to get mad about you being wrong and not putting Only In Death first, but you're pretty much on the money.

Only In Death is up the top of my list of best BL books.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Can't believe I was 10 when Necropolis came out. One of the books that really capatulted me into reading more and more. Blew my mind at the time.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ed balls balls man posted:

Can't believe I was 10 when Necropolis came out. One of the books that really capatulted me into reading more and more. Blew my mind at the time.

I remember reading about the "betrayal at Tyrok Fields" in a friends old imperial guard codex, like twenty years ago (also I think its super rad that we finally got to know what exactly happened at cadia, finally). That same friend lent me the first gaunt book and those two things combined helped turn me into the gross turbonerd I am today.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

1) only in death
2) sabbat martyr
3) necropolis
4) blood pact
5) traitor general
6) salvation’s reach
7) the anarch
8) the warmaster
9) straight silver
10) armor of contempt
11) the guns of tanith
12) honor guard
13) his last command
14) ghostmaker
15) first and only

drat it, seeing First and Only that low down makes me want to keep reading :cry:

I'm working through Vaults of Terra now, then Watches of the Throne, then Dark Imperium, THEN maybe another Gaunt book. And eventually I'll go back to HH, I'm on book... 17? There aren't enough hours in the day.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

First and Only was, amusingly enough, the first Black Library I ever read. I think so at least. I remember picking it up at a game store when I was... *checks the math* 13 or 14 (good lord). After that the floodgates opened and I was doomed.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Still to this day I don't think I hate a character in a novel more than the one you all know I'm talking about.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Still to this day I don't think I hate a character in a novel more than the one you all know I'm talking about.

Sure as sure I know

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fellblade posted:

I dunno, the guy in the later novels is possibly even more repulsive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-54J5Pu4bs
The unfortunate side effect of Games Workshop hiring fan animators for their future projects is all the cool poo poo getting taken off of YouTube.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 18, 2021

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just hope the Astartes stuff keeps coming.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fellblade posted:

Meryn is worse, imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Khizan posted:

Meryn is worse, imo.

Far worse. Cuu was a mentally unstable sociopath. Meryn is clear headed and completely amoral and is just unpleasant and cruel.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Meryn is a career soldier that would have flourished in any other regiment than the ghosts. Gaunt does absolutely have blind spots and clear favorites, it's not like all of Meryn's complaints are unwarranted.

He's still a shitheel though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Demiurge4 posted:

Meryn is a career soldier that would have flourished in any other regiment than the ghosts. Gaunt does absolutely have blind spots and clear favorites, it's not like all of Meryn's complaints are unwarranted.

He's still a shitheel though.

His attitude issues were only tolerated because they're literally the last surviving members of Tanith. He's an utter bastard getting away with poo poo and growing into a colossal rear end in a top hat during the time when the senior staff was presumed dead on Gereon and got sullen when they came back. In any other regiment he'd be drummed out or executed if his crimes were made public. But sympathy and a soft hand let his corruption fester.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ed balls balls man posted:

I was something like 13 or 14 when Necropolis came out, and English is not my first language. It still left hell of an impression.

The book had so many memorable parts, but I remember getting actual nightmares about the part where they have to close the gates even though refugees were still streaming in by the thousands.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-54J5Pu4bs
The unfortunate side effect of Games Workshop hiring fan animators for their future projects is all the cool poo poo getting taken off of YouTube.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm about 8 or so books in with GG and I honestly couldn't tell you the book names I've read were. The only way I know where to keep reading is because of Goodreads marking off the books as I finish them. Can't say any stand higher than the others, they're all just a good read. Not spectacular, but just good. It's most definitely Band of Brothers in 40k and you will keep reading because they have become home. I usually read about 3-4 books in-between each one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While Straight Silver is my favourite in the series The Lost is definitely the best arc in GG. Traitor General, His Last Command, The Armour of Contempt and Only in Death are just this relentlessly grim push through the worst parts of the war zone and they take Abnett's talent for environmental storytelling up to a new level.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Eh it sucks now and may suck in the future even more but if GW continues their weird out of character streak of doing neat poo poo the content they put out later may be worth ut.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GW has mastered the soft C&D method.
Can't wait to see them announce multiple projects at the Animation showcase on saturday that we won't see for like another year or two. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The animators getting a job was the best possible outcome in the situation. I don't know about Richard Boylan (Helsreach) but the chap who did Astartes was making money out of it, and that makes it legally go from "we might be able to ignore it for as long as we can" to "we have to bring the hammer down or lose everything".

You may or may not agree with the current IP system but GW had to bring those projects to an end, especially as Helsreach used the actual audiobook. If GW didn't pursue them, no matter how softly, they could of lost all of their IP rights and that is not something that a business can do.

This is the same for everyone, pursue people using your IP or you lose your IP. If no one is making money out of it and it is low key then a company can unofficially look the other way but that is what it is, relying on the good will of a business and it being too expensive to send out stop letters to every fan fic writer.