Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

What if the rat is also wearing pants and shoes, what then huh!?!

I will kick Mickey’s head clean off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If the rat and I both had swords then the rat is taking me down.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Reepicheep doesn’t gently caress around. That’s true.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Monkey posted:

I will kick Mickey’s head clean off.

We don't say the M word around here

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How unarmed is "unarmed"? Like I don't even know if I could take a rat if I'm naked, but if I get pants and shoes it's loving on.

As someone who took care of rats for a living: pants will not save you

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

What if the rat is also wearing pants and shoes, what then huh!?!

If a rat wore pants, how would it wear them?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

learnincurve posted:

Mosquitoes have killed over 52 billion humans, which is more that half of all humans who ever lived

Today 17% of all infectious diseases are carried by Mosquitos and they kill 700,000 people a year.

Sounds like mosquitos are getting blamed for something disease is doing, this propaganda about the noble mosquito is disgusting

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RatHat posted:

I guess people don't realize how loving huge Polar bears are because they'd absolutely trash a Grizzly.

Size ain't everything polar bears run away from grizzlies all the time because they are COWARD animals. I bet I could scare a polar bear just by laying on the horn in my Jetta and doing donuts.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I thought I'd heard that mosquitoes are actually loving useless and the only reason we haven't made them extinct is because we can't.

Like all they do is spread disease and their spot could just be taken by less lovely insects in the ecosystem.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Piell posted:

Sounds like mosquitos are getting blamed for something disease is doing, this propaganda about the noble mosquito is disgusting

I think this is an important difference really, Mosquitos do not intend to kill us so blaming them for so many deaths is very misleading. When Hippos kill people its absolutely intentional so that should count for more.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Grimdude posted:

I thought I'd heard that mosquitoes are actually loving useless and the only reason we haven't made them extinct is because we can't.

Like all they do is spread disease and their spot could just be taken by less lovely insects in the ecosystem.

I mean we believe this because they kill so many people. But removing anything from an ecosystem is generally a bad idea.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh they are like Daddy Longlegs in that they are massive but contain very little nutrients, so your average fish or frog would spend a lot of energy consuming them and then be full when a nice juicy grasshopper comes along.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Danaru posted:

Incidentally one time a horse tried to bite my dog from behind a fence, and I decked it in the loving nose. gently caress horses they're the worst loving animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cDfnQD0ws

... Mongo?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Male mosquitoes are strict nectivores and as such, serve an important role as pollinators for many flowers. Larvae are aquatic and are an important food source for small fish, as well as eating a lot of algae and small creatures themselves. Ecology is a complicated set of relationships, and it's almost impossible to properly predict what would happen if you remove a species entirely. "There are other pollinators" is true, but the balance would be thrown off, and it could mean less flowers that rely on mosquitoes, or more of another type of insect, and that difference is going to have other repurcussions.

There are, however, mosquito species that carry disease and mosquito species that don't, and eliminating the dangerous species in favour of ones that don't is probably okay? And this is what most research is looking into these days. But again, ecology is complicated.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grimdude posted:

They're essential food for other animals. Some species of mosquito are pollinators.

It's not possible to extinguish multiple species from an ecosystem without it impacting said ecosystem in some, usually very terrible way.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
There are no animals that survive purely on mosquitos but in the same way there are no humans who consume only tomatoes and yet it’s a good common potassium source

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We don't really have a stellar record for wiping out animals we don't like consequence free.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Grimdude posted:

This isn't so much a reason that mosquitoes suck as it is two reasons why humans suck

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Grimdude posted:

IIRC this specifically refers to the specie of mosquito that can carry malaria. Mosquitos in general have an important role in the ecosystem but the specific ones that gently caress with us aren’t important

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A single species of mosquito is probably easily replaceable yeah, the problem is just fears they either we've overlooked something important. Also that any genetic methods will possibly cause poo poo we couldn't have predicted.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
when you say 'useless' what do you mean? Does nothing else eat them? Do they not keep anything else in check?

Ecosystems are a series of balances, do they really not influence anything?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I admit to following a certain amount of celeb gossip, but I can't imagine caring this much about celebrity relationships. When I find out about a celebrity relationship I generally either think "Oh Good for them" or "Oh, that's probably gonna end poorly
and that's it.

https://twitter.com/ThatJakePC/status/1393275901199228929?s=20

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

when you say 'useless' what do you mean? Does nothing else eat them? Do they not keep anything else in check?

Ecosystems are a series of balances, do they really not influence anything?

I think in this context useless would mean the species in question has no unique role in the ecosystem and could be replaced by any other species expanding to take it's role as a prey animal for larger insects/birds.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

ChaseSP posted:

I think in this context useless would mean the species in question has no unique role in the ecosystem and could be replaced by any other species expanding to take it's role as a prey animal for larger insects/birds.

This, yeah. I'm not saying it's accurate at all I just thought I'd heard it in passing during a science-y video of some kind. Like someone said though, it may have just meant one type of mosquito. The idea being that we removed them from the equation and that just allows other insects without malaria to pollinate, feed other animals, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Idiot fight idiot fight idiot fight!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606/

Really applies to either of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I thought I had seen the worst possible takes of the current military actions done by Israel, and then this loving gem popped up.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1393656994574258178?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who are the associated press at war with in this analogy?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Who are the associated press at war with in this analogy?

I don't think it's intended to be an analogy, he actually believes AP is at war with Israel. Or believes it enough to fit his narrative anyway.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

I thought I had seen the worst possible takes of the current military actions done by Israel, and then this loving gem popped up.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1393656994574258178?s=20

https://twitter.com/arya_kidding_me/status/1393647163259904000

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Idiot fight idiot fight idiot fight!

Please tell me more of you have some idiot fight content. I don’t even care if it’s old idiot fights, drat I’m jonesing for more now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Just loving amazing levels of projection.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RoboRodent posted:

Male mosquitoes are strict nectivores and as such, serve an important role as pollinators for many flowers. Larvae are aquatic and are an important food source for small fish, as well as eating a lot of algae and small creatures themselves. Ecology is a complicated set of relationships, and it's almost impossible to properly predict what would happen if you remove a species entirely. "There are other pollinators" is true, but the balance would be thrown off, and it could mean less flowers that rely on mosquitoes, or more of another type of insect, and that difference is going to have other repurcussions.

There are, however, mosquito species that carry disease and mosquito species that don't, and eliminating the dangerous species in favour of ones that don't is probably okay? And this is what most research is looking into these days. But again, ecology is complicated.

Up yours mosquito lover

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If God didn't want us to reshape nature to our will, he would stop us. No, I don't know anything rise in global temperature averages, sounds like some pinko commie bullshit.

*sprays Agent Orange over the entirety of the Amazon Rainforest*

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

1stGear posted:

*sprays Agent Orange over the entirety of the Amazon Rainforest*

I don't think Jeff Bezos would like that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't think Jeff Bezos would like that.

Pretty sure he would

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

Size ain't everything polar bears run away from grizzlies all the time because they are COWARD animals. I bet I could scare a polar bear just by laying on the horn in my Jetta and doing donuts.

If cats have taught me anything it’s that you can scare off animals ten times your size, you just need to make the first move and by god you need to commit to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The most dangerous animal is Mycobacterium tuberculosis.

It killed a billion people in the twentieth century.

Bacteria aren’t really animals. Fungi are more closely related to animals than bacteria are.

I'm hunting the most dangerous prey.

*Fires shotgun into petri dish*