Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Thom12255 posted:

Yeah there's nothing good about the uncharted worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Well I just encountered Garrus for the first time in ME1 again and his face texture is not a horrible low-resolution mess. Game ruined, filing a complaint and boycotting Bioware forever.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Those steam profile pieces are cool. Starting to regret just buying it on Origin, I figured, since it requires Origin anyways, might as well, but... they did go ham on the Steam stuff.

Ah well. I'll regret it for a day or two, but still really enjoying playing ME1, but slightly better, again. I love that they made the elevator rides go exactly as long as the news reports, or squad banter.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I don't have a PC, so any reason to get the PS4 or Xbox one version over the other?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gninjagnome posted:

I don't have a PC, so any reason to get the PS4 or Xbox one version over the other?

Probably boils down to which controller you prefer.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Yeah, both versions seem roughly equal. If you ever plan to revisit the game on a next-gen console the Series X will hit 120fps while the PS5 tops out at 60fps, but that might not matter to you.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Not sure when I'll get a next gen console, so good to know the version doesn't matter. Since my Xbox isn't connected to my TV at the moment laziness will make my decision for me!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

a cyborg mug posted:

They say they improved Mako’s handling but good Christ I still hate this poo poo. Just got stuck in a hole on a random planet I was just not able to get out of without going back to the Normandy

Roaming the planets in ME1 was always such dire, pointless, boring gameplay for me. I’d much rather scan planets in ME2, it’s sort of chill lol

The Mako wasn't great but the real problem was the lacklustre design of the uncharted worlds. That's why the Mako is fine on the main quest planets with the except of a few bad points.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I'm going to echo the sentiment of "this looks exactly how I remember it looking", but then I tried reinstalling Dragon Age: Origins last month and couldn't get over how loving primitive-looking it was compared to my memory.

So far, digging the remaster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dragon Age: Origins looked pretty dated in its own time. Even when I played it over 11 years ago I thought it looked weird, like the whole game was shot in miniature. ME2 was the first 3D Bioware game that really managed to make a strong impression visually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yeah da:o has always been pretty hideous.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Insanity playthrough going just fine - done with some side stuff + Feros and Therum. Other than boss battles and the occasional lucky sniper it's been a good challenge but not overly tough.

Also if you're playing a "pistols" class - don't bother with them. Sniper Rifle is your new best friend.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I don’t remember Matriarch Benezia’s boob veins being so pronounced in the original game

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

It seems like dancing in flux has been removed. Uninstalled.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Origin has no screenshot function, and I can't use GeForce one with HDR enabled. Great fuckin system

Also I usually think HDR looks like poo poo but it looks pretty good in ME1 from what I've seen so far (Eden Prime)

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
With the Legendary level scaling on in 1 is there a reason to do the side quests now? I’m having fun but if I’m really excited to get back into ME2.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

longtimelurker posted:

I think the option only appears on your 2nd or 3rd trip to the Citadel after a story world, or maybe after you've gotten Jenna out of Chora's and done the Salarian cheating quest. Could be remembering it wrong though.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
got my milli credits after getting liara and still don't see the spectre weaps, weird

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I don’t remember Matriarch Benezia’s boob veins being so pronounced in the original game

Boob veins, like goatees, let you know the character is evil.

Sentinel Red posted:

I think the option only appears on your 2nd or 3rd trip to the Citadel after a story world, or maybe after you've gotten Jenna out of Chora's and done the Salarian cheating quest. Could be remembering it wrong though.

Huh. I must've beaten the game like 10 or more times between console and pc over the years and I never knew you could dance there at any point.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Son of Rodney posted:

But holy poo poo lmao at ashlry just immediately cranking up the space racism when you prod her slighty. "it's not racism, not really" is not a good way to start a sentence, hoo boy.

One of her best friends is a shrimp, and she personally knows one of the good toads, it's cool.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Phobeste posted:

got my milli credits after getting liara and still don't see the spectre weaps, weird

The C-Sec requisitions officer had them right after I became a Spectre.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forgot how bad ME1 looks in general, like some of the models look like the game started on the original Xbox

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phobeste posted:

They're bugged.

They now show up right away without needing a million, and disappear the next time you go back.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

kilus aof posted:

The Mako wasn't great but the real problem was the lacklustre design of the uncharted worlds. That's why the Mako is fine on the main quest planets with the except of a few bad points.
Yeah, when people complain about the physics on the Mako, it's because they are trying to drive it on weird terrain to begin with just to get the tedious driving mission over as soon as possible.

exquisite tea posted:

Dragon Age: Origins looked pretty dated in its own time. Even when I played it over 11 years ago I thought it looked weird, like the whole game was shot in miniature. ME2 was the first 3D Bioware game that really managed to make a strong impression visually.
Yeah, before the 360 era, it was just a given that if it was an RPG, it had dated graphics. BioWare wasn't alone in that.

That said, that's a good sign of a remaster if it doesn't look much different than you remember, because a good remaster doesn't mess around too much with the artistic design and ends up looking like the game you remember through rose colored glasses.

There have been several remasters the last few years where when I'm playing it, I go "this looks like the same game except it's 4k and 60 FPS now" but then I watch a Digital Foundry comparison video or something and go "Holy poo poo, they did a lot of work on this."

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

I forgot how bad ME1 looks in general, like some of the models look like the game started on the original Xbox

Don't know if sarcasm or not but yeah that's exactly what happened. It also was heavily limited in that it was required to be able to use the inferior Xbox360 version that only used a 512MB memory card for storage as well which necessitated its infamous elevator rides to load in new areas.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't sure, but good to know. Didn't know it started on the original Xbox either though that's cool

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Wasn't sure, but good to know. Didn't know it started on the original Xbox either though that's cool

It stared work before the 360 came out but was released around 2 years after the 360 came out so it started on original xbox and upgraded. At least that's what I understand from the release dates and wikipedia saying it was in development for 3 and a half years.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goooooooood I am having such a hard time not taking Tali with me in ME1.

She's the most interesting and well-designed companion but I've seen her whole story already.

Ashley is a bigot and will be ignored, I've seen all of Wrex before, Kaiden is a bore...

I guess it's Garrus again and... the Asura.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm definitely feeling a slight mental dissonance seeing what is basically ME3 models and textures on top of ME1 gameplay. Like I keep expecting it to play more like ME3 and there's a little part of my brain that gets confused when powers don't work the way they do in 3.

But so far it's basically what I was expecting. It's still ME1, with most of the same jankiness, just prettier. They fixed a few of the more universally hated elements, but didn't go overboard changing a bunch of stuff. I'm interested to see what 2 and 3 are like since those were still pretty solid by modern standards.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What difficulty are people playing on? It's been forever since I've played the series and I forget if the higher difficulties make things more frustrating than fun.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm definitely feeling a slight mental dissonance seeing what is basically ME3 models and textures on top of ME1 gameplay. Like I keep expecting it to play more like ME3 and there's a little part of my brain that gets confused when powers don't work the way they do in 3.

But so far it's basically what I was expecting. It's still ME1, with most of the same jankiness, just prettier. They fixed a few of the more universally hated elements, but didn't go overboard changing a bunch of stuff. I'm interested to see what 2 and 3 are like since those were still pretty solid by modern standards.

It really is kind of wild going back to ME1 after not playing it since release, and realizing how.....rudimentary.....the game is at this point. Like I remember it being this thing of grand scope in my mind but it's really very quick (the main quest just blows by) and a lot of the side content is really very simplistic. There's meat in the dialogue but all of the gameplay boils down to "fly to relatively empty planet, clear a couple of rooms". You can really see how the "reactivity" around the game is built around a handful of decision points or flags.

Again, great game and it was amazing at the time. But going back it's just totally eclipsed by what ME2 brought to the table and ended up being.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Are there any other significant art changes like Tali's picture in Mass Effect 3?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So I found a fun new bug with the Mako.

It just slammed to a halt, and the wheels would start freaking if I tried to move. For whatever reason it started to hit me with a level 8 hazard if I kept trying to move.

It also happened on Noveria, but that time I was able to exit the Mako, which made it teleport several meters in a random direction, but a few rounds of that managed to free it.

On the plus side, they actually fixed this guy having a human model.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

longtimelurker posted:

Think you have to talk to Doran (where he mentions he likes to dance) and finish the Flux quest with the cheater, then Doran moves over to the dance floor and you can dance with him, might need to get Jenna out of Chora’s Den too? I know doing those things has let me dance at Flux in this version anyway. Though Sheppard has much better less terrible dancing in ME1 than the later games, we may have to blame getting turned into a killer cyborg for their more memetically bad performance in ME2/3.

Going through pretty slowly and exploring everything, only done Liara’s recruitment and a bunch of side missions at this point. Every single little side quest counts towards those “do five quests with a squad mate” achievements so I’ve actually got them all now. It counts on turn in, so if you have a NPC you don’t want to use you can cheat and just bring them with when turning the quest in at the Citadel and it will work.

Difficulty feels slightly higher, though not unfairly so, might have played on lower difficulty way back when maybe. Money feels like a pain to gather; I know rewards used to be pegged to your level, wonder if it got nerfed by the legendary level set up. I do appreciate the dedicated melee button in ME1 now, will make Paragon on Feros a lot safer to pull off. Can’t seem to give squad movement and attach orders in pause, just special abilities now?

The Mako I am definitely of two minds about now. Movement in general terms is MUCH better, since they have the graphics to not make all the terrains jagged blocks there’s a lot less ramping random areas by mistake and going wildly flying away, and the jet booster makes the near vertical driving stuff work even better since you can turbo boost over those sections where the Mako stalls out. But for some reason the PC controls at least seem to work in relation to the screen facing instead of the Mako’s facing, which gets irritating when you try to circle strafe and the direction pressing forward or left or whatever takes you keeps changing as you rotate your view around. Thresher maws are also fairly intense. They thankfully made it so just sitting there and jumping over the acid spit isn’t the only good tactic, partly by making the spit three shots that can’t be leapt over but even more by adding the Bugs Bunny digging effect so you can see where the drat bastard is going and making it coming up under the Mako no longer insta-death (getting flipped over by it is kind of a cool “uh oh” to boot). Considering the real reason for the hop and shoot tactics in the original was moving around was a death sentence since the maw would inevitably come up under you and kill you, this is much more fun. I can’t figure out the point of the sensory tentacles that come up during the digging part, but I *think* being too near them must make the thresher maw dig straight towards you instead of at random, he seems to every so often just beeline straight for me so I’m running frantically with a bunch of last second boosts to get away screaming “WHY COULDN’T YOU TAKE A LEFT AT ALBUQUERQUE YOU BASTARD?!!”. Victory in the new system definitely feels earned now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BisbyWorl posted:

On the plus side, they actually fixed this guy having a human model.

Huh. I always figured he was intended to be Batarian for some reason.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Sorry if this has been answered, but does anyone know if the LE fixes the Conrad Verner bug in ME2 that makes him always act as if you Renegaded him in ME1?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

MadDogMike posted:

But for some reason the PC controls at least seem to work in relation to the screen facing instead of the Mako’s facing, which gets irritating when you try to circle strafe and the direction pressing forward or left or whatever takes you keeps changing as you rotate your view around.

You can change this in the settings, thankfully.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Sentinel Red posted:

Huh. I always figured he was intended to be Batarian for some reason.

I think they first showed up in the Bringing Down the Sky DLC. But ME2 showed that the Terminus Systems were just populated with the same species + Batarians and Vorchas anyway.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MadDogMike posted:

But for some reason the PC controls at least seem to work in relation to the screen facing instead of the Mako’s facing, which gets irritating when you try to circle strafe and the direction pressing forward or left or whatever takes you keeps changing as you rotate your view around. Thresher maws are also fairly intense.

You can change it back in the options menu. I don't think I've ever started hunting for an option so quickly, the camera-based controls feel terrible.

The thresher maw fight was definitely a lot cooler, it's nice that they changed a lot of the more bullshit elements like the instant death popup. I think the tentacles are just to give you something else to shoot during the fight rather than just slugging away at the main target; it seemed like I had to kill all of them to get it to pop back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

Going through pretty slowly and exploring everything, only done Liara’s recruitment and a bunch of side missions at this point. Every single little side quest counts towards those “do five quests with a squad mate” achievements so I’ve actually got them all now. It counts on turn in, so if you have a NPC you don’t want to use you can cheat and just bring them with when turning the quest in at the Citadel and it will work.

Similarly, it seems like you can just use abilities on nothing to reach the 25 uses for each. No need to hit an enemy with them, nor does it have to be Shepard who uses them.

Seems like an incredibly easy platinum, which is nice because I platted all three on PS3 and now I feel like I have to plat them all again