Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Kitfox88 posted:

Losing an agent is almost worth it for the little lobsterman wiggle dance
A fresh agent is only 1 LOB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Without some TeeQueue-brand dickery, it'll also stop showing up very quickly - it's just a ZAYIN, after all. And owing to how success rates calculate, the thing is almost entirely harmless to work for anyone beyond a newbie.

...Depending on how big the heal is and how fast the work rate could be, it could have some use as a healing station if you were, for example, completely out of bullets. But there's tool abnormalities that do that job better, albeit with a risk of killing the user/the entire facility.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Materant posted:

Without some TeeQueue-brand dickery, it'll also stop showing up very quickly - it's just a ZAYIN, after all. And owing to how success rates calculate, the thing is almost entirely harmless to work for anyone beyond a newbie.

...Depending on how big the heal is and how fast the work rate could be, it could have some use as a healing station if you were, for example, completely out of bullets. But there's tool abnormalities that do that job better, albeit with a risk of killing the user/the entire facility.
It heals for 40% of max stat, if you use instinct or insight work, or for 30% on attachment or repression work, if you get Good result. On Normal, it heals twice as much.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I can think of precisely one reason you might want to take Well Cheers deliberately once you know what it does, and that’s because it cannot breach and is safely ignorable.

Question: how does the healing interact with the Netzach suppression?

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Narsham posted:

I can think of precisely one reason you might want to take Well Cheers deliberately once you know what it does, and that’s because it cannot breach and is safely ignorable.

Question: how does the healing interact with the Netzach suppression?

It is blocked, as do all other means of recovery.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Wellcheers was my first abno (after One Sin) and... I don't think I ever got a bad work result on it. Haha.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Narsham posted:

There's also the RNG making you pick one out of three extremely :lobcorp: options, on repository day.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Theantero posted:

Wanna get abducted to that fishing boat.

It seems like a cool place.

It's pretty hilarious that it seems like an actually benevolent "end" for an agent. Much less threatening work, you get to be outdoors, and there's plenty of seafood!

Also, looking forward to the faeries. I think they were the first abnormality I ran into.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Get buff, all the shrimp jambalaya you can eat and friendship with bros, bro. What's not to like?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Slaan posted:

Get buff, all the shrimp jambalaya you can eat and friendship with bros, bro. What's not to like?

I'd never dare risk the wrath of B-G Corp on the open sea

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
This abnormality seems to be on the same level of “entirely benign” as One Sin
Worst that happens is it saves you from being stuck in this endless time loop hell of a facility, and who can complain about that?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This is the abnormality that's based on a Korean Urban Legend that people are getting drugged with tainted cans of Welch's Grape juice to get shanghai'd into fishing boats.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
i've actually had a maxed-stat employee get boatnapped by wellcheers. it was baffling, but taught me to never underestimate the shrimps.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Obnoxipus posted:

i've actually had a maxed-stat employee get boatnapped by wellcheers. it was baffling, but taught me to never underestimate the shrimps.

Let's be honest, they probably just wanted a less lethal occupation, like bomb defusal in deep sea caves.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I love WellCheers but it also has one of the ugliest EGO Gifts in the game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had to put down the game for a bit after getting wellcheers as my first abno because it was too absurd.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Quite liked Wellcheers. The armor isn't impressive in and of itself, but it's got a decent quantity and it's better than the basic suit. Useful for early outfitting when better armor isn't available in bulk.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

MiiNiPaa posted:

It is blocked, as do all other means of recovery.

Honestly it baffles me that there are like a dozen healing Abnormalities, but they are all almost totally useless because the one time you want them to heal is when they don't work.

I guess maybe you could send the Portrait receiver to have a drink from the vending machine? Dunno if that's more effective then normal regenerators though.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That's pretty cute.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I hate how many Zayin anomalies can just straight up kill you. It's an unusually high number.

...then again that's true of a lot of anomalies anyway I suppose.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I got that abno in my facility and not gonna lie, I yelled "motherfucker!" when TeeQueue mentioned that it's heal-effect makes it a lovely trainer. Didn't think about that at all :v:

At least no one has died to it... yet.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

MiiNiPaa posted:

A fresh agent is only 1 LOB...

And there are two lobs right there in the containment cell! Everybody profits! :buddy:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

I hate how many Zayin anomalies can just straight up kill you. It's an unusually high number.

...then again that's true of a lot of anomalies anyway I suppose.

A. The Zayin are training-wheel abnormalities the game uses to teach you about various things, like insta-kills.
B. Zayin do not demand to be worked in the same way as other abnormalities, and generally their insta-kills require that you send someone to work them. Because they can't breach and kill employees, they need something that makes them dangerous. (There is one exception that we can't discuss yet.)

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Counterpoint: a certain Plague Doctor, who will force the matter via meltdowns eventually

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I grew to dislike ZAYIN's. They're oddly nasty. The game sort of trained me to just despair whenever a ZAYIN showed up, because it was either useless or weirdly dangerous.

TETH's were generally the 'safe' pick.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldulas posted:

Honestly I grew to dislike ZAYIN's. They're oddly nasty. The game sort of trained me to just despair whenever a ZAYIN showed up, because it was either useless or weirdly dangerous.

TETH's were generally the 'safe' pick.

Yeah the big issue with Zayins is that they are generally easy to manage, but also not really worthwhile to have. Teths are also usually pretty simple but their gear is actually worth using for a little while. So a Teth with some kind of instant kill might be worth putting up with for what you get out of them, but a Zayin never will be.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
This is the best possible way you could have showed off the rest of the abnos :allears:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Can of Wellcheers = Welchers juice = :psyduck:

And cognito is supposed to taste like grape!!! Oh my god it all makes sense.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
X-394 is a big facility, full of mysterious creatures known as Abnormalities. Many of these Abnormalities can do very bad things if they're handled improperly, and it's vitally important that our agents know just what may happen if they're careless. What's a manager to do?

Episode 11: Fairy Festival

Music: trailer

Hi! I'm Paul! Just your everyday plucky employee of Lobotomy Cobotomy, here today to talk about Fairy Festival!

Fairy Festival is another ZAYIN Abnormality, this time taking the form of a large winged fairy.

I don't suppose we have another volunteer, do we?

Not so lucky today, Paul. You're going to be working with this one yourself.

That's perfectly okay, Miss Hod! I was itching to get right back to it!

Speaking of itching… hey! This thing just bit me!

That will happen from time to time when working with any Abnormality. Don't worry about it. Now like most ZAYIN Abnormalities, Fairy Festival is very simple. It has one ability, which activates so long as the agent working with it gets a Normal or Good result.

Miss Hod! I think I figured out the effect! These fairies are following me around, and they're healing my wounds!

Very good, Paul! That's the Fairies' care. They'll stay with the agent who worked with them for a short while and make sure to keep them well by healing up their HP.

Fantabulous fair folk, Miss Hod! That's awful nice of them! Why do they do that?

Good question, Paul! Some people say that it's because they appreciate the kindness we show them, and others think they only attach to special agents who've caught their eye.

So these fairies think I'm awful swell… how touching!

They certainly do think you're worth sticking with. However, it's important not to believe in what 'some people say.'

The ignorant masses are called that for a reason, right Miss Hod?

Right! To find the true meaning of their care, we have to do something else. Paul, could you please queue up a work with another Abnormality while the manager's put the facility on pause?

Sure thing!

Will that do it, Miss Hod?

It sure will. Now, let's watch what happens when our time resumes.

Yowie wowie! That death was instant, and brutally painful!

Let that be a lesson that you can't just believe every rumor that an employee comes up with! The Fairies that follow our agents are making sure to keep their food fresh, Paul-and you're that food.

So our agents are just tasty treats for even the lowest level of Abnormality!

Very good! Since this only happens to people who get orders to start work with another Abnormality while the Fairies are with them, this type of casualty is thankfully rare. Regardless, it's an important thing to keep in mind, even if you don't see it that often.

Like the mandatory counseling program and the emergency turrets in the walls?

Yes, Paul. Just like those! Well, that's all the time we have today. Thanks for joining us! And remember…

Knowledge is just pain plus observation! Have a great day!

Music: Aspire

Good evening, future Managers. Ah, I suppose you're wondering why I have this sifter of wine? Apparently, our first death happened during the last work period.

If I didn't already know this was a script, the entire thing would still seem farcical on the face of it all. I executed the entire first day's workforce just to see if anything would change. It didn't. No reaction at all. A shame, really. I suppose I should have added a more interactive component to things in the design phase…

Well, that's not why you're here, is it? Angela, the graphics.

Fairy Festival is as simplistic as it is boring. So long as you follow its one rule, which is anything but difficult, it will never cause any trouble. Its gear can be accurately described as "plentiful," but the weapon itself is only barely better than our standard issue Riot Stick, and as a ZAYIN suit its promising defenses will fall off against any HE or greater threat. It has the distinction of being the best Instinct trainer in the entire ZAYIN level… but that is honestly damning it with the faintest possible praise. ZAYIN Abnormalities are not designed for training. Their box counts are too low, and they cannot deal enough damage. It may serve a purpose training the absurdly new before they move on to something more promising like Punishing Bird or that cursed armor… but to be quite honest, it's another safe pick like WellCheers before it.

And come, now. I'm sure that you didn't get to this high position by playing it safe all the time, did you? We've all got quite the penchant for risk-taking around here.

Ah! That reminds me, it's time to water my cactus. Angela maintains that there's no way it'll bloom-or so the script makes her say-but I feel as though I've been challenged to prove myself wrong. You know… I never did find out who gave it to me. A mystery for you to solve, perhaps. For now, this old man shall cease his ramblings.

Next time's featured Abnormality…

New Guidelines

Fairy Festival

New Gear

Requirements: None

Requirements: None

New Story

Fairy Festival

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 10, 2021

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Too bad it’s not the Aberration huh

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Fairy Festival buff last for 8 seconds (so it is not like your agent cannot work for a very long time) and restores 10% of max HP each second (8 or 7 ticks happens depending on regularity of game ticks themselves). And before anyone asks, no, it does not work during Netzach suppression. Af far as I researched, only one Abnormality can heal agents during said suppression. Interestingly enough, it is ZAYIN-class too.

Another thing: Fairies do not kill uncontrollable or invincible agents. So any works queued against your will (like CENSOREDs Sacrifice) won't trigger kill effect.

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 16, 2021

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So I guess it's best use case is if you need an agent to get healed asap, while also being close enough to it and having the time to work it? Can't really see that many use cases for the heal, 8 seconds is too short to bring into supressions and the work before you get the heal means there is some set-up time before you get it. Knowing this game there is probably some very niche situation I am forgetting where a planned burst of healing can safe an agent/trivialise some gimmick tho

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Ah time for one of the worst tools in the game next, I can't wait.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Greader posted:

So I guess it's best use case is if you need an agent to get healed asap, while also being close enough to it and having the time to work it? Can't really see that many use cases for the heal, 8 seconds is too short to bring into supressions and the work before you get the heal means there is some set-up time before you get it. Knowing this game there is probably some very niche situation I am forgetting where a planned burst of healing can safe an agent/trivialise some gimmick tho

There's that one that shifts damage to another agent, having the target agent work with the Fairies might keep him alive while the protected agent is in a fight.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

As I promised before, here is some data on unreleased abnormalities:

Unreleased Abnormality: My Sweet Orange Tree

There is not much to cover, since all that remains from this Abnormality is a picture in artbook and text file in the game. Luckily for us, it was been translated alongside all other game data. Apparently, there is a book called "My Sweet Orange Tree", but I cannot tell, if this Abnormality was based on it, or not.

Artbook picture:

Quotes:

Agent ordered to work posted:

#0 designated to 'My Sweet Orange Tree' isolation sector.

Agent starts to work posted:

Even though it may not have noumenon , it will somehow try to show itself out.
Everyone has their own sweet orange tree in their heart.
If you have any piece of innocence of childhood left.
“Why should children grow up?”

Agent continues to work 1 posted:

Thousands of particles in the isolation sector have penetrated into #0’s nerve center of their brain
Part of ‘My Sweet Orange Tree’ is entering #0’s memory right away.
Entity of ‘My Sweet Orange Tree’ is extremely small that it could wander #0’s mind around.
‘My Sweet Orange Tree’ is wandering in #0’s time.

Agent continues to work 2 posted:

‘My Sweet Orange Tree’ visualizes what we have dreamt of.
‘My Sweet Orange Tree’ recovers what we have forgotten.
Numerous employees find what they have lost before.
#0 will find their own Orange Tree in ‘My Sweet Orange Tree’.

Agent continues to work 3 posted:

#0 looks exhausted and weary.
What #0 is right now is far different from who they imagined they would be in childhood.
#0 is only thinking of leaving work
#0 wanted to become an astronaut during their childhood.

Agent continues to work 4 posted:

#0 have dropped working when #0 saw unbelievable sight during the work.
#0 confronts what #0 had forgotten for long time.
#0 can step into the world that #0 created in the early years of their life.
#0 is enjoying the scenery just in front of oneself, not even thinking of coming out of the isolation sector.

Agent panics posted:

#0 is trapped in the world that ‘My sweet orange tree’ has shown.
#0 is captivated by stage of ‘My sweet orange tree’ and began to forget the reality.

Story:

quote:

The creature is a cluster of thousands if not hundreds of millions of molecules.

This Abnormality has a strong will to return to its original place; the creature causes unintentional psychological damage because of its desire for a child’s purity. To specify this phenomenon, more studies and experiments are needed but it is confirmed that the minuscule molecules have the ability to brainwash employees.

When the creature approaches the subject's brain, it accesses and attempts to recreate the purest childhood memory. The countless molecules work to recreate the memory and through that experience, the creature tries to return to its youthful existence.

Excerpt from an Interview Log Employee F2-403: When I was 5 years old, I wanted to fly around in adventures with Peter Pan. In my dreams, just like the stories, Peter Pan would reach out a hand for me to hold, one that would take me to Neverland. I had forgotten all of that, until I went into that room. The things that I described were right in front of my eyes. If no one had come in to get me, I would have stayed in that room, not even realizing the passing time.

Employees’ Tale “I don’t even want to talk about the trouble we went through to put this creature into quarantine. This was not one subject. This creature was made of millions of molecules. The employees should long remember how horrifically delicate the job was.”

Excerpt from a Research Log When an employee was sent into the room of the said creature, he or she would not come out for 85 minutes, and the employee would be free from the creature only when another employee was sent in to release them. During an interview with the assigned employee, the Abnormality has the ability to make anything real, even a dream, as long as the memory is as ‘innocent’ as possible. For the time being, there have been no casualties caused by the creature, however, this status is unstable and unpredictable. Considering its abilities, it is impossible to imagine what the creature will create and make real. That is the reason behind the creature’s WAW threat level.

Excerpt from Abnormality specialist, [Omitted]’s research material “The interesting thing about this Abnormality is that it does not show illusions, it actualizes certain scenes from our memory. If we can figure out a way to use this ability, we can make anything come true. We are doing so much research on this creature and we will continue to do so. But why is it about ‘innocence’? After countless assumptions and careful research, we learned that it could be defined as [Redacted].”

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Greader posted:

This is basically the issue with a lot of the abnos in the game, some of them seem like they could be useful in some extremely specific circumstance but that situation just never comes up. It's why most of the tools end up being pretty useless, because the benefits they offer are not really worth the hassle of having to remember their requirements and why the best tools are the ones where you just equip them and then never have to think about them again.

The thing is that abnos don't have to be useful; the game is deliberately not balanced. Sometimes stuff just sucks. :lobcorp:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The real reason you pick Fairy Festival is to see the pudgy fairy doing a lil' dance.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Also the uniform is adorable.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Pretty much the same thoughts on this one as wellcheers. ZAYINs have a lot of gear, your agents need to get out of their base baton/suit as quick as possible.
It isn't glamorous, but it does what it needs to until you get something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
You don't really need it for that, though. Onebro can equip your whole first department with ZAYIN level gear by itself, so there is no reason not to go for TETH the very first chance you get.