Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

subterfudge posted:

Spec ops selection is mainly about psychological resilience so I could see childhood trauma helping to prepare for it.

There was an interesting semi related note from the article that kicked off this discussion.

quote:

The colonel used to be involved in selection, he said, and in addition to superlative marksmanship, he would look for introversion and artistic ability in potential recruits. He made it a point to choose guys who played musical instruments or painted. “People not inclined to be team players,” he explained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Makes me think back to selection for the Q course, and the stuff I heard about the psychological evaluation. In retrospect, they sure seemed to be using that to get a certain type of person, since that's the one thing where they can just say "sorry, bye" with no oversight. Other than that it's performance and peer evaluation.

Edit: also, thinking back even more, I'm kind of :stare: that when I left after I got injured, all the cadre were very supportive of me returning as soon as I could.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I wonder how the Army SF compares to BUD/S, we didn't have any former Green Berets or 18X drops but we had an ex-MARSOC dude and a European equivalent to Army SF, they said it was pretty different, maybe not *quite* as deranged as the way BUD/S classes cannibalize themselves. I thought it was funny when I saw some clips of that old BUD/S documentary where students get told to chill after assaulting one of the officers for ducking boat, either the culture was COMPLETELY different or that was entirely a show for the cameras. Things get much, much worse than that every single boats and logs and it's strongly encouraged to purge the weak members of the class.

One of my friends told me the European dude apparently right after I quit just got up and said "dis es stoopid em out" which was apparently pretty funny kinda bummed I missed that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There was an interesting semi related note from the article that kicked off this discussion.

Ah yes, musical instruments, not team players.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

I have never heard of a more cut throat environment than a symphony orchestra

Well, what you guys are describing may be the first thing I have heard of to rival the experience of school orchestra, and the conductor just laughed at our antics as preparation for the real thing.

Musicians are extremely competitive

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://apnews.com/article/israel-west-bank-gaza-middle-east-israel-palestinian-conflict-7974cc0c03897b8b21e5fc2f8c7d8a79

quote:

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — An Israeli airstrike targeted and destroyed a high-rise building in Gaza City that housed offices of The Associated Press and other media outlets hours after another Israeli air raid on a densely populated refugee camp killed at least 10 Palestinians from an extended family, mostly children, on Saturday.

The strike on the high-rise came nearly an hour after the military ordered people to evacuate the 12-story building, which also housed Al-Jazeera, other offices and residential apartments. The strike brought down the entire structure, which collapsed in a gigantic cloud of dust. There was no immediate explanation for why it was attacked.

https://twitter.com/StefanieDekker/status/1393541536755986445

:thumbsup:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Brings back memories!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CommieGIR posted:

It might be because people who are involved in arts tend to be creative thinkers so you're bringing in people who will bring different approaches to problems so you don't have a team full of people who believe every problem is a nail they must hammer

But apparently the ultra violent ones just go and outsize the bad for everyone regardless

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

This seems bad but much of America is screaming you're anti-Semetic if you're not ok with it, wow no idea how to feel

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

This seems bad but much of America is screaming you're anti-Semetic if you're not ok with it, wow no idea how to feel

Americans are loving stupid, always have been.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

Al Jazeera? Never heard of him but he sounds like a terrorist

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The AP is the real villain here.

https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/1393582393961848838/photo/1

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
How do these airstrikes keep felling buildings in perfect implosion demolitions?

I mean yeah, that question sounds all TRUTHER-y, which would be kinda moot because I'd assume the IDF can just roll in in force and demo-charge high-rises, but this is like the third building that they just "beautifully" collapse from a demolition standpoint. Are they lobbing a bunch of JDAMs at the bases of the buildings or something?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How do these airstrikes keep felling buildings in perfect implosion demolitions?

I mean yeah, that question sounds all TRUTHER-y, which would be kinda moot because I'd assume the IDF can just roll in in force and demo-charge high-rises, but this is like the third building that they just "beautifully" collapse from a demolition standpoint. Are they lobbing a bunch of JDAMs at the bases of the buildings or something?

There was a clip in the combat camera thread I got a pretty clear screengrab from, looks like a Paveway or similar

And yeah the MO seems to be multiple weapons directed at the corners of the foundation

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 15, 2021

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't think we give them the tip-top shelf stuff, but they are probably rolling with consistent good modern market midrange poo poo as far as weaponry goes, I'm sure a well-equipped F-XX plane or whatever digitally controlled artillery has no problem taking out a rectangle of concrete

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We've only spent the past 30 years perfecting the art of attacking civilian targets

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
BDS is the only course of action short of kinetic military action against the Israeli government that has a chance of turning things around at this point. It's not enough to just cancel the billions in subsidies, costs must be imposed to pressure the government for meaningful change.

I've seen some centrist/liberal eye-rolling about "hurr hurr, this dumb leftist opposes blanket sanctions regimes against Iran and Cuba, but supports them against Israel. Hypocritical, much?" This is, of course, nonsensically reductive of the very real differences between these states which make such measures against the latter vastly more efficacious than against the former. Namely: Israel is an Apartheid state that denies representation and rights to a vast number of its residents, but it is still, for the time being, a democracy where leaders must be responsive to the franchised populace on a level that more authoritarian states simply need not.

It's not just the folks at the tip of the spear in the settlements that must face this cost—they're merely an outgrowth of a broader trend toward genocide-enabling ethno-supremacy that must be addressed.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Not to call you a moron, but in a "perfect implosion demolition" the building doesn't fall on the surrounding buildings.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The Israeli government is also trumpeting these same strikes as wins against "terrorism", so there's zero reason to believe they're somehow false flags.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Not to mention its an uncontested environment that the IDF probably has mapped out down to the sub-meter level.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Maybe all the possessions and furniture belonging to the people that lived I those buildings has shifted the center of gravity inwards.

Was it generation kill where they shoot some guy in the head and then all start talking about how weird he fell?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Has Israel ever elaborated on “weapon caches”? For example a Qassam rocket is made from plumbing pipe, nails, springs, fertilizer and sugar. They can claim any building has rocket components.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

hobbesmaster posted:

Has Israel ever elaborated on “weapon caches”? For example a Qassam rocket is made from plumbing pipe, nails, springs, fertilizer and sugar. They can claim any building has rocket components.

The strip mall had a hardware store, a cellphone store, and bakery, all vital incubators for a Qassam to IDF attack. The Israelites aim to strike terror~

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nothing like giving Hamas more fodder by dehoming hundreds of innocent people who will become more desperate and turn to groups like Hamas.

It's almost like Israel does it on purpose or something...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What article was that? I thought it'd be the one about ACE scores but that post doesn't have it

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Nothing like giving Hamas more fodder by dehoming hundreds of innocent people who will become more desperate and turn to groups like Hamas.

It's almost like Israel does it on purpose or something...

Well the ethnics aren't going to just cleanse themselves.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Bad Poster posted:

Edit: also, thinking back even more, I'm kind of :stare: that when I left after I got injured, all the cadre were very supportive of me returning as soon as I could.

There was a trans seal and they were oddly supportive from what I remember, at least considering the type of people I have in mind. Except for chris kyle, but he sucked anyway

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Out of all the strikes I saw on all the different buildings, I only saw one building that *might* have had secondary explosions going off from munitions cooking off. All the rest either 1) didn't have weapons caches, or 2) the caches were just guns ammo and not explosives, or 3) the Israelis intel was wrong, or 4) the Israelis are lying.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

hobbesmaster posted:

A weapons cache is a brown person who owns a screwdriver.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What article was that? I thought it'd be the one about ACE scores but that post doesn't have it

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/fort-bragg-murders-1153405/

This doesn't have the thing about ACE scores though, I think that was a poster relating from professional experience.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Bored As gently caress posted:

Out of all the strikes I saw on all the different buildings, I only saw one building that *might* have had secondary explosions going off from munitions cooking off. All the rest either 1) didn't have weapons caches, or 2) the caches were just guns ammo and not explosives, or 3) the Israelis intel was wrong, or 4) the Israelis are lying.

The idea that these are enemy bases but there's no reason to take them over to get the intel, and how it's an imminent threat but also we can give an hour warning to get out - it's all just so transparent. I would respect it more if they just openly said "these are intended to punish civilians"

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I first heard of it on the new podcast, “The Line.” Which is a pretty strong examination of the Eddie Gallagher case. Thankfully this is not a bullshit call of duty handjob like some mil docuseries are. The host interviews a number of psychologists, SEALS, etc. in episode 2 is where they discuss ACE scores. The person the host has on that brings that up, their name is Walton Disney. He was a SEAL for several years and then became a family psychologist and therapist for military vets. I looked his stuff up after the fact and read a bit more about it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-line/id1560743789?i=1000515965161

It’s a pretty objective good podcast, it’s really hard to listen to one SEAL after another discuss how TBI has ruined them. I mean, really graphic detail regarding depression, alcohol abuse, physical neurological manifestations, and suicide. And, in that episode specifically several of them reflect on their hosed up childhoods and yeah, how they were “running” from some issue with childhood stress or ADHD and the military welcomed it with open arms. Regarding the Gallagher case, I don’t know what service members think of what Eddie Gallagher did or didn’t do but the final episode makes it pretty clear reading between the lines what probably happened.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My problem with the I/P is that Israel is so obviously the aggressor yet all the weepey eyed propaganda paints the poor Israelites as victims of idunno, getting a rock thrown at them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

My problem with the I/P is that Israel is so obviously the aggressor yet all the weepey eyed propaganda paints the poor Israelites as victims of idunno, getting a rock thrown at them.

It's a combination of a lot of things.

You have the weirdo Christians who know that for the rapture to happen Israel must be a kingdom, The right wingers who lust for the death of anyone darker than slightly tan, and a segment of Jewish people who have a bit of a persecution complex when it comes to Israel. This creates a huge propaganda machine of "Israel is always on the brink of extinction from the muslim hordes", even when the reality is Israel is basically a regional power with international backing and the "muslim hordes" are basically a bunch of dirt farmers and pariah countries.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If Palestine had the backing of the evangelicals we could be doing an eleventh crusade right now and with the poo poo that Israel's been doing they fuckin deserve it

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

If Palestine had the backing of the evangelicals we could be doing an eleventh crusade right now and with the poo poo that Israel's been doing they fuckin deserve it

Finding out a ton of Palestinians were Christians blew my mind. And every megachurch in the land wants them eradicated

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t know what Israel did to get the US so far up their rear end but why not just call it a US terror cell at this point because that’s what it looks like to me?

I admittedly don’t pay much attention to geopolitics and I/P has seemed too overwhelming for me to dive into. This is the most I’ve paid attention to it probably ever.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If there is no kingdom of Israel then the rapture doesn't happen. If that's what you're referring to but I may be misreading. Let me conclude by saying gently caress Evangelicals

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

KirbyKhan posted:

It honestly is so loving sickening seeing all the breathless "#ISRAELUNDERATTACK!!1" "HuGe TeRriSt ExPlOsioN knocks out powrr to city!!" posts.

And then the videos from Gaza are white phos, entire buildings being flattened, and rescuers gathering up pieces of children from the loving rubble where an entire family's been murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/status/1393555383097208837