Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

the vanguard federal money fund has 0.000003.5% cash holdings (out of 64.7% liquid holdings) so harping about the 4% is just clickbait

(the vanguard federal money fund also reports its portfolio holdings to the SEC and retains an auditor)

that is wildly misrepresenting the difference between the two...

the fact that tether is calling unspecified commercial paper and fiduciary deposits "cash equivalent" is farcical.

yes, people should be saying that tether is backed by about 7% cash or cash equivalent, but frankly that doesn't make a marked difference in the overall assessment of that giant pile of trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

the vanguard federal money fund has 0.000003.5% cash holdings (out of 64.7% liquid holdings) so harping about the 4% is just clickbait

(the vanguard federal money fund also reports its portfolio holdings to the SEC and retains an auditor)

Stuff that's collateralized solely by U.S. government securities is a pretty far distance from what makes up Tether's portfolio. Castor's analysis even said that the treasury bills that Tether owned was the one other asset that was actually considered as good as cash. But they don't own much of either.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

divabot posted:

but he's probably failing his comp sci degree watching candles on price charts.

nah actually i just stick like £25 into some shitcoin and then completely forget about it for months on end
i pay less than the bare minimum amount of attention

also: lol he mad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
my point is that the quality of the :airquote: investments is a bigger issue than the size of the cash position

it does create an awkward situation though for crypto-boosters who pray five times a day while facing the von Mises Institute

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Billy seems like a nice guy and has always seemed shocked and somewhat horrified that Doge blew up so big when he intended it as a joke
https://twitter.com/BillyM2k/status/1392952014854778883?s=20

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah tbh imagine making a cryptocurrency that is blatantly a parody meant to take the piss and then suddenly its rivalling bitcoin in popularity

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Tether is just reinventing fiat currency, only backed by a shady bank in the Bahamas and a pile of IOUs rather than a country with a tax base and military assets.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

why does matt gaetz look like a fat evil johnny knoxville

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

the last signal... posted:

I thought he looks like those evil ventriloquist dummies from toy story 4 but I see the knoxville resemblance too

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm Anorak the Dumb :downs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've hidden a code for a $25 Steam gift card in one of my posts.

E: I intend to hide it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

That's who he reminds me of. I was trying to figure it out.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Paladinus posted:

I've hidden a code for a $25 Steam gift card in one of my posts.

E: I intend to hide it

I made a NFT that says I own that post. I'm going to give it to Elon Musk as a birthday present.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
hdc posts buttcoin more regularly than a block gets confirmed with no fee

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I keep saying Beavis with dark hair, but yours is better.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is Dogecoin mined somehow?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Collateral posted:

Is Dogecoin mined somehow?

Well, it's cryptocurrency, so minors are probably involved somewhere.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Doge blocks are mined every minute. It was a joke taking the absurdity of crypto to the extreme. At today's prices $6.9 million worth of dogecoin are mined daily

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I only know this because my wife told me her friend invested $500 into doge last night and she asked me what I thought about it and I got really irationally upset. She also has a co-worker with a husband who claims to have made a lot investing in GME.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hard to argue with this

quote:

It isn't a zero sum game. If guy 1 buys for $1, sells to guy 2 for $2, who sells to guy 3 for $5, who sells to guy 4 for $8 and so on then literally every single person has made money.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

crypto works the same way

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Andy Dufresne posted:

I only know this because my wife told me her friend invested $500 into doge last night and she asked me what I thought about it and I got really irationally upset. She also has a co-worker with a husband who claims to have made a lot investing in GME.

I mean the people that bought beanie babies after the craze hit its peak definitely made the most money.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

InternetJunky posted:

Hard to argue with this

Oh poo poo, now I am a Bitcoin person because you simply cannot lose money

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hammerite posted:

That's who he reminds me of. I was trying to figure it out.

it's robbie rotten

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

mojo1701a posted:

Well, it's cryptocurrency, so minors are probably involved somewhere.

he’s not wrong you know

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://mobile.twitter.com/saifedean/status/1393480807390535681

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

rly makes u think

Seriously though, how in the actual gently caress can people unironically post poo poo like this

The internet was a loving mistake

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That twitter thread regurgitates all the same idiotic talking points like how it replace all of finance, when it's the world's least efficient payment system, including loving rai stones.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel dumber for having that read that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bitcoin: War or environmental ruin. You decide.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I used to go to war with Tesco when they cocked up my change, but now, thanks to Bitcoin, I can't buy anything at Tesco with Bitcoin.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No such thing as a free lunch anyone?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

No such thing as a free lunch anyone?

Your mum offers a free lunch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jokes posted:

Bitcoin: War or environmental ruin. You decide.
At a certain point, war would be preferable

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Your mum offers a free lunch.

All you can eat

And you don’t have to wait 17 hours unlike buttecoin

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Andy Dufresne posted:

Doge blocks are mined every minute. It was a joke taking the absurdity of crypto to the extreme. At today's prices $6.9 million worth of dogecoin are mined daily

Yep, it's intentionally not only inflationary, but hyperinflationary with the goal of having no way of having value.

But the coiners built a better idiot.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EorayMel posted:

Quick throw pennies at the attackers!

I don’t throw penny shavings until I’m chasing the Bearwhale on top of a train.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

tehinternet posted:

rly makes u think

Seriously though, how in the actual gently caress can people unironically post poo poo like this

The internet was a loving mistake

I follow a lot of finance types on Twitter and generally speaking it's pretty sane but stuff leaks through so I see something like this about once a day and I honestly feel the same way. It's the same as reading Q anon stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I'm very fortunate that I don't know anyone close to me who has laser eyes. One of my friends is a lifelong computer guy and he's really into Ethereum like as a platform and I honestly see where he's coming from. But by the end of the conversation he generally agrees with me that it's unecessary, it's just that it's probably the coolest of these new and useless hammers that have been made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Ethereum is unique in that it has potential to be massively useful. Programable smart contracts can do all sorts of cool functions. Just it being decentralized is holding it back as far as being usable. The mechanics that keep it decentralized also keep it running slow and having a high fee to use. Smart contracts are awesome though.

That said, you don't need to use the main Ethereum network to utilize the technology behind it. Anyone can spin up a private network and use the tech however they need.