Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
yes. those are onion rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

looks like onion rings and cabbage with sour cream (NOT vegan) on a tortilla

anyway i have to go to a 7 hour sword fight practice in the public park. i'll give some more thought to your case while im there.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

don’t fret too much, you’re a bit silly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just do what Clarence does and eat like a giant pig gorging on super unhealthy stuff, but pick the vegan options. Shovel vegan mac and cheese bites and pizzas into your maw all day long and chase your workouts with pea protein powder and a gallon of chocolate soymilk

Sure he juices but so does everybody at that level

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Larry Parrish posted:

they said if 50% of people stopped eating meat it would eventually equal out to 50% less animals being farmed. i explained that it was a dumbass concept that makes no sense unless you literally meant 50% of all people everywhere, and equally distributed. at which point why even say it? but anyway idk if you can't read or what. stfu bitch.

he can’t read

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

the best kind of change is incremental and so slow you barely notice it

like how more people consuming less meat has already influenced the working conditions and output of factory farms

We'll be priced out of meat like we're getting priced out of homes.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

*out here getting completely roasted in the park by cyclists and ultimate frisbee dudes*
“buh buh but im not even vegan”

Epic High Five posted:

Just do what Clarence does and eat like a giant pig gorging on super unhealthy stuff, but pick the vegan options. Shovel vegan mac and cheese bites and pizzas into your maw all day long and chase your workouts with pea protein powder and a gallon of chocolate soymilk

Sure he juices but so does everybody at that level
honestly i respect people who are able to be disciplined about their eating (especially if they’re eating for performance at the same time) but changing your entire food base is a pretty huge personal project that i’m not motivated to tackle on top of everything else ive got going on at this point in time.

ultimately i’d guess it’s like any other sort of diet discipline and there’s a reason the vast majority of people just cant maintain one

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

also i think it’s rude baw said it’s stupid to be raw vegan. who ar eyou to make people cook their food if they dont want

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

jarofpiss posted:

your entire food base is a pretty huge personal project that i’m not motivated to tackle on top of everything else ive got going on at this point in time.

Yeah, I've been trying to switch and it's a bear. That said, I've been partial to: [Fewer Choices] → [More Freedom]

(And it's even helping circumvent what could probably be characterized as food addiction issues, too. )

But I've managed to go vegan for breakfast.

I'm free from having to clean up breakfast grease.

I'm free from spending too much on breakfast.

I'm free from the implications of eating animal products every morning, implications on health and suffering and so on and so on.

(Bonus Round: I'm free of the, uh, realities of a low fiber diet.)

There is freedom in simplicity.

There is freedom in renouncement.

There is freedom in leaving yourself only good options, so you can just putz through while worrying about better things (thanks, past-me!).

Like this monk discussing hair (5:31 - 7:15):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h71kUZBoD2s&t=331s

I want the domain of food to feel light and free and without turpitude.

I want to feel light and free and without turpitude.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

also i think it’s rude baw said it’s stupid to be raw vegan. who ar eyou to make people cook their food if they dont want

it doesnt provide any benefits, it just means that your food isnt going to be as good as cooked food

if your goal is to eat things that dont taste good, go for it i guess

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my experience with those types is that once you hear it, you're probably 5 minutes from hearing they're a raw water advocate or similar

do they have like vegan roadkill exceptions, like if they stumble on a brick of tofu cooked by a nearby volcanic vent, it's okay to eat?

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think one thing veganism lack that many other movements have is just a fundamental clearly articulated reason for being. These discussions always devolve into pointless hair-splitting because there just is no goal upon which many people can come together and agree. Is it animal suffering? Is it killing animals? Is it health? Taste? Economics? Is it environmental concern? Greenhouse gasses? If there was one clear and unambiguous moral argument wouldn't this have been articulated by now? Why are there always these qualifiers and exceptions?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

my experience with those types is that once you hear it, you're probably 5 minutes from hearing they're a raw water advocate or similar

do they have like vegan roadkill exceptions, like if they stumble on a brick of tofu cooked by a nearby volcanic vent, it's okay to eat?

i mean technically that should be fine, same with eating meat that you find on the ground or in the garbage. hell, maybe even leftovers that would otherwise be thrown out, since in all those scenarios youre not creating additional demand for animal products

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

antipope posted:

I think one thing veganism lack that many other movements have is just a fundamental clearly articulated reason for being. These discussions always devolve into pointless hair-splitting because there just is no goal upon which many people can come together and agree. Is it animal suffering? Is it killing animals? Is it health? Taste? Economics? Is it environmental concern? Greenhouse gasses? If there was one clear and unambiguous moral argument wouldn't this have been articulated by now? Why are there always these qualifiers and exceptions?

it's because I hate chuds and want to make them angry and miserable

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

they don't know how to make food they like without meat and I do, the asymmetry of power here is in my favor and I intend to follow the teachings of Mao in this regard and maximize the force I can apply on the conditions I can best influence

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

antipope posted:

The environmental and animal welfare reasons each are enough for every person on earth to go vegan tomorrow. Which one do you recommend we pick?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

antipope posted:

What do you require of others?

How much do you require others' death and suffering?

In my mind, there's a number of angles but I feel like that should be the big one.

How much of what you have is paid for with the lives of others? Either their ruin or their end?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Roadkill isn’t vegan, that’s silly and stupid. If someone says it is you can tell they don’t know what they’re talking about.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

some sort of fish posted:

also very weird to see market based arguments from leftists. maybe we should do a meat tax too

Leftism is believing markets don’t exist and pigouvian taxes can’t do anything

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

they don't know how to make food they like without meat and I do, the asymmetry of power here is in my favor and I intend to follow the teachings of Mao in this regard and maximize the force I can apply on the conditions I can best influence

i don't know how to do it without dairy, personally. well i do but I don't want to actually.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

antipope posted:

both animal welfare and emissions reduction are valid arguments for veganism, and they can work in tandem

Hashy posted:

The environmental and animal welfare reasons each are enough for every person on earth to go vegan tomorrow. Which one do you recommend we pick?

heckin' this

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Aug 21, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

Roadkill isn’t vegan, that’s silly and stupid. If someone says it is you can tell they don’t know what they’re talking about.

In the dystopian future where factory farmed meat is outlawed, one man takes his meat into his own hands by running down as many deer as possible.

If I could eat nothing but Indian and Thai food I could probably do at least vegetarianism, maybe even veganism. Alas, I live in the sticks where there's no food like that and am a bad and lazy cook.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

baw posted:

ok well i'll help you along

can you think of any way to drastically reduce meat consumption without breaking down peoples' doors and taking their meat

you can pry my meat from my warm living hand

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
I dont know if you know what sheep get up to on a farm. Its pretty sweet. They have one bad day in their lives.

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, fundamentally, from my limited engagement with the moral logic, what any vegan is asking for is for humans to hold themselves to a higher standard than, like, what 30% of all life on earth? I mean if it was such a good and oh so sustainable idea, why are there any carnivores left at all? Surely the lions would have eaten all the antelope ages ago?

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
Theres something really fundamentally obnoxious in the statement - we humans are the most moral beings on the planet. Cats and dogs should also be made to eat lettuce?

Idk the whole argument for veganism is just so specious right from the get go.

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, no, its actually worse. What vegans are asking is for humans to starve themselves out of existence with a diet totally inappropriate for their fundamental physiology. Lets not forget, there are essential proteins and fats that cannot be found in vegetable foods.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

antipope posted:

Well, no, its actually worse. What vegans are asking is for humans to starve themselves out of existence with a diet totally inappropriate for their fundamental physiology. Lets not forget, there are essential proteins and fats that cannot be found in vegetable foods.

like what?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vitamin B12 - it was first synthesised in the 1950s. We know that hitherto all human societies were not strictly vegan, because this nutrient wasn't available from non-animal sources until then.

Vitamin K2 is also not found in plant sources capable of meeting dietary guidelines.

The essential omega 3 fat ALA is converted to DHA and EPA very poorly in humans - there is no scientific consensus but somewhere between 0-10% tops. It is therefore impossible to attain the appropriate ratio of omega 3 fats from vegetable sources, not to mention the extremely high concentration of the pro-inflammatory omega-6 fats you consume if you try (which compete with and displace omega-3s wrt bioavailability)

The same argument accrues for protein, although its even more complicated. Plant proteins are not complete, although the human body is able to synthesise most of what it needs. The studies on protein often use nitrogen excretion as a correlate of protein content, but this is not reflective of protein uptake or synthesis.

Not that any of this is even important, because, on a macro scale, there are just no whole plant foods which contain the appropriate fat to protein to carbohydrate ration (which is something like 60>40>0). Only animal foods do that. Carbohydrate is not an essential nutrient.

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of the so called evidence quoted in the most prestigious journals in support of veganism is based on flawed epidemiology and industry pabulum. When I say vegan diets are hegemonic I actually mean that - meat consumption is being totally demonised by insane anti-science ideologues who are running rampant at the highest levels of government. But it is all nonsense as any person with a shred of common sense, or any scientific literacy will tell you. As I explained above there is no scientific evidence in support of veganism - it has never been done.

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NknJ2vBuGqM&t=597s

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
The most insidious aspect of any so called moral arguments is that they are totally immune to evidence to the contrary. The believer already knows they are 'right'. Any infringement can automatically be discounted as 'wrong'. So you will never actually convince anyone - the best you can do is convince yourself, and remain open to further evidence.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Veganism 101* is not a counter to Veganism.

* What you're suddenly missing and how to get it.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
aha are we actually getting into a “plant protein isn’t really protein” argument

:allears:

how the gently caress am I even alive being vegan, according to meat eaters I should have died long ago

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

antipope posted:

The most insidious aspect of any so called moral arguments is that they are totally immune to evidence to the contrary. The believer already knows they are 'right'. Any infringement can automatically be discounted as 'wrong'. So you will never actually convince anyone - the best you can do is convince yourself, and remain open to further evidence.

Tch... swedes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Do it ironically posted:

aha are we actually getting into a “plant protein isn’t really protein” argument

:allears:

how the gently caress am I even alive being vegan, according to meat eaters I should have died long ago

I am personally dying from b12 deficiency.