Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The only particularly worthwhile Grip-ons are the curved jaw imo. The Bremen harbor freight brand are shockingly on-par with.. pretty much every other brand of locking pliers. Even the welding clamp (11R and related) are excellent. Good deal at full price and an incredible deal on the rare occasion there's a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The rivets on my left motorcycle saddlebag clasp have come loose.

Pics:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Ck0eHOl

Rivets seem like a useless technology.

Thinking of replacing the rivets with nuts and bolts and locking washers.

Thoughts/recommendations?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Steakandchips posted:

The rivets on my left motorcycle saddlebag clasp have come loose.

Pics:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Ck0eHOl

Rivets seem like a useless technology.

Thinking of replacing the rivets with nuts and bolts and locking washers.

Thoughts/recommendations?

With leather, rivets are able to bite into the material without cutting through, maintaining the fastened strength. With a nuts and bolts solution, the washers can either be too loose and wallow the hole in the leather out, or be too tight and cut through the leather. It's tough to find a sustainable middle ground.

Obviously those rivets were crap, but rivets can be your friend.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, you see rivets on leather for a reason.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i dont understand it, it must be for stupid morons

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ziptied it for now since I’m on holiday.

Will look into bolts or rivets further when I’m home next week.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Will not stand for this rivet slander. Rivets are how we beat the Nazis!!!!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I installed 4 rivets into a van headliner yesterday and the hardest part was keeping the little washers from falling off the back while using the riveter with both hands

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Any coil spring compressor suggestions? I’ve never even looked at them before.

I’m not using c-clamps and zip ties.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Advent Horizon posted:

Probably whatever has good reviews.
I ended up having to buy a pair because all the places that loan them out told me the same thing, that people don't bother bringing them back, as the charge is the same as the cost of buying them.
Not sure what you're working on but in my case, the ones I bought were a bit of a pain in the rear end. I was putting new springs on and they had more coils than the old ones, and I practically had to compress the springs down flat to get them to fit.

YMMV

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Advent Horizon posted:

that depends on if you're just removing, or also installing. if you're just removing you can (theoretically, this is not advice, do so at your own peril, in minecraft) just relax the springs with a torch.

e: this is also the super low budget early 2000s teenager with a 93 S10 way to lower your truck :c00lbutt:

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 14, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that depends on if you're just removing, or also installing. if you're just removing you can (theoretically, this is not advice, do so at your own peril, in minecraft) just relax the springs with a torch.

e: this is also the super low budget early 2000s teenager with a 93 S10 way to lower your truck :c00lbutt:

I've also used an angle grinder to do that with springs while still on the strut, but DON'T DO THIS BECAUSE ITS DANGEROUS!!!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

oh jesus no i didnt mean cut them with a torch, just heat up one spot til the steel loses its temper ( :argh: ) and sags

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oh jesus no i didnt mean cut them with a torch, just heat up one spot til the steel loses its temper ( :argh: ) and sags

I know what you meant. I know people who have done that too.
Back in the 90s and 2000s.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I would like my car to ride like new when I’m done. No torchy torchy.

I’m doing the shocks, struts, and lower control arms on my Leaf. I’d like to just buy a tool so I’ll have everything - if nothing else, a close friend just paid to have his LCAs replaced on a Subaru and if I have the tools we’d be able to do it.

Another friend suggested an OTC 7294: OTC 7294 MacPherson Strut Spring Hook Compressor - pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F5HUZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VE29BVRMRGRWGMBR5M3T

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Another known brand, better reviews, less than half the cost:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07S966...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Looks pretty identical, and they both look like the ones I've used in the past.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I can't remember who made my strut compressors in particular but they're that same style. Definitely the least-sketchy version I've ever used. The ancient ones my dad has (and probably hasn't used since I last used them ~10 years ago) relied on eyehooks that you threaded in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
wtf why did y'all go through that much work instead of just flipping the mounts???

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Will not stand for this rivet slander. Rivets are how we beat the Nazis!!!!

They died while I am currently on holiday. I have replaced three rivets with two zip ties for now from my toolkit.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

wtf why did y'all go through that much work instead of just flipping the mounts???
I'm not positive this is what you're talking about, but I am enjoying the fact that I haven't had to use spring compressors for a very long time because the front of my Jeep has more than enough flex to just drop the spring out if you take the limit strap off :D

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Another known brand, better reviews, less than half the cost:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07S966...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Looks pretty identical, and they both look like the ones I've used in the past.

I have these and have used many others, these are very good. I’ve had the threads gall on cheaper ones which is inconvenient.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Advent Horizon posted:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/201529561687

I much prefer this style of compressor to the cheaper bolt and hook style. The other good option is a standing version, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162844203116?hash=item25ea45586c:g:uVIAAOSw9Etel--w

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It’s kind of cool how those aren’t that expensive. You could justify keeping it if you had the space or throwing it up on Craigslist if you needed the cash more.

Alas, the bolt ones are all I’ve ever used and haven’t been done wrong really.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krakkles posted:

I'm not positive this is what you're talking about, but I am enjoying the fact that I haven't had to use spring compressors for a very long time because the front of my Jeep has more than enough flex to just drop the spring out if you take the limit strap off :D

I remember high school/army dudes flipping over components of their suspension so they were "lowered" by an inch or two in a janky surely-not-safe way

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember high school/army dudes flipping over components of their suspension so they were "lowered" by an inch or two in a janky surely-not-safe way

A previous owner of my '68 C10 lowered the rear by just taking out the springs completely. Let me tell you, between that and the who knows how old shocks, ride quality was not reassuring.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Frank Dillinger posted:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/201529561687

I much prefer this style of compressor to the cheaper bolt and hook style. The other good option is a standing version, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162844203116?hash=item25ea45586c:g:uVIAAOSw9Etel--w

This is cool. I seen to remember seeing a wall mounted version somewhere (maybe home made?) That just had a big rear end pipe for leverage to compress the spring. Not that I would do suspension often enough to justify the space but thought it was a good idea if the strut could be kept in place in a non-sketchy way.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm looking at picking up a paint gun and the appropriate PPE. I plan on using it with oil base and urethane base to spray trailer/truck frames, some welding projects, and try and see if I can do some body work on my farm truck.
After looking around I think I'm going for this paint gun kit https://www.eastwood.com/devilbiss-auto-paint-and-priming-system.html

For PPE I was thinking of a full face respirator with p100/organic vapor cartridges, I saw a Honeywell recommended several pages back but dont know how well it would work with glasses. I guess my other option would be the 3m half face and getting some prescription goggles of some type. I should probably use one of those hooded tyvek suits too.

Any recommendations for a respirator or anything I'm overlooking? I know I'll need to find a filter/regulator/dryer still.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You basically have two options with glasses, half mask or fresh air mask. A half mask is an order of magnitude cheaper, but a fresh air mask is nice because it's not a sealing mask so glasses aren't a problem. You won't be able to effectively use a full face mask with glasses. In HAZMAT you just don't wear glasses to solve that issue. An intermediate solution would be to work on your ventilation system which there are many relatively cheap solutions for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

You won't be able to effectively use a full face mask with glasses. In HAZMAT you just don't wear glasses to solve that issue.

The people who need corrective lenses on our hazmat team have them built into their full face mask, so it's definitely possible (but possibly very spendy).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is definitely a thing, but you could also look at a PAPR if you want to drop the dough and just wear your glasses under it no problem. You don't have to worry about fogging but they are expensive.

Keep in mind filters can still be fun to get - a poo poo ton of production capacity got flipped to N95 and medical masks and backlogs are still a huge thing, so whichever way you go make sure filters are available. I know the 3M Versaflow works decently with glasses as some of my clients use them.... but they are :10bux:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v100559008/

e: Another really nice thing about going with a full PAPR is that they can be very helpful at keeping you cool.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 15, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

The people who need corrective lenses on our hazmat team have them built into their full face mask, so it's definitely possible (but possibly very spendy).

You know, I do recall something like this now. People just didn't use them where I worked.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
That versaflow makes lasik look cheap. Would buying a set of goggles and blocking the vents be the best option? I could just wear my half mask and face shield over the top to try and keep overspray off my face but I'm thinking that would get hot after a while.

I was probably going to be doing most of the painting that I dont care about dust getting on in one of my greenhouses, one has a 60" fan in the back. For bodywork I saved the blower out of my old furnace and was thinking I could weld up something to hold some furnace filters in and do a makeshift paintbooth in half the garage.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Supplied air is best for auto paints. I'll upgrade to this one when it's car paint time again.

https://www.tptools.com/Deluxe-Full-Face-Air-Respirator-System,390.html?b=d*8102

Full face is ideal as well since it's eye protection from both particles and gasses.

I used a full face respirator, and worked outside. It probably wasn't the best. I couldn't smell the paint though so it did something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a suggestion on a decent brake flare tool kit that can do 3/16" in M10 bubble flare, M12 bubble flare, and M10 inverted flare? Basically the flares needed for an E46 BMW and an 04 Miata.

Maybe a cap at like $350 or something

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 16, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have a suggestion on a decent brake flare tool kit that can do 3/16" in M10 bubble flare, M12 bubble flare, and M10 inverted flare? Basically the flares needed for an E46 BMW and an 04 Miata.

Maybe a cap at like $350 or something

I'm 99.9% certain the flare itself is just sized based on the tubing and is the same even if the thread on the nut varies - at least, I've never done a different flare for brake lines with different threads on either end :v:

If you're fine with doing them in a bench vise, $350 would way more than cover the Eastwood flaring tool. Hell, you could probably buy the 37 degree die kit for it too if you want to do any AN/JIC hardlines. If you want to do them on the car you'd want to look for one of the "inline" flaring tools but a quick search isn't showing me any of those that do bubble flares.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If I want to be able to cut metal accurately for general fabrication, but don’t have room for a bandsaw, is a chop saw pretty much the way to go?

Who makes a good one? I’ve heard Evo mentioned, and I’m not opposed, but I’m not sure if I need the $489 one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A chop saw is a good option if you can afford a nice carbide bladed one like this. You can't modify an abrasive or a normal chop saw, they spin too fast and don't have the right hold-down faculties. Carbide tipped metal cutting saws just aren't cheap, they're also hellishly loud.

Don't bother with abrasive imo, they suck for various reasons, for light stuff they're not too bad.

You say you can't fit a bandsaw, but can you fit this combined with a portable bandsaw of your choice? A cordless one from your chosen ecosystem maybe? Then you'd also have a portaband, which are awesome, my cordless DeWalt is my new favorite tool, Kastein uses his with a Harbor Freight cheapie though and has been happy with it.

If you look a few pages back in my house thread in HCH I struggle with cutting some large metal, and ended up with the portaband. Here's a video of me cutting metal with an abrasive cutoff saw https://youtu.be/Eu2BM7R9FOE.

TL:DR get a portable bandsaw.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I am actually not very impressed with the HF portaband at all. The first one burned up literally 2 cuts into its life on the day I opened the box and I was past the warranty because I bought it too far in advance, so I ended up buying another and returning "it" because I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to let them screw me like that just because it sat on my shelf in an unopened box for a few months.

I've used that one a handful of times since then and while it works, I absolutely would not recommend buying one, and if you're going to buy one, get the extended warranty because you're rolling the dice on a multi hundred dollar piece of poo poo if you don't. If I'd known it was going to be so fantastically unreliable I would have just bought a name brand one. 2 cuts before smoke-came-out failure is straight up unacceptable.

Edit: you might be thinking of the small vertical/horizontal shop bandsaw they have. I've owned that since... 2013 I think? And it kicks rear end. lovely in some ways but 100% worth the money, I use the hell out of it.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 17, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, that's probably it, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That looks like a pretty great solution, actually. Are there any name brand but not $350 portable bandsaws worth getting?

I’m not opposed to buying the Milwaukee 6238 if it’s the right one (picked that one based on multiple sites saying it’s the best, but i don’t know), but if I opt for the table with the miter gauge (which I think I want) I’m looking at $600 all in.

Not going to lie, the Bauer was tempting until I saw kastein’s comments :v: