Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

me and my wife read them and frequently can't understand the questions so i'm pretty sure a lot of them are poorly written

it's definitely this

in general, publishing content for children is considered the toilet of the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been reading "Why Don't Students Like School?" and it's super interesting, strongly recommend it for it's applicability even outside of education. It was recommended to me by an educator I really respect, I think it has been a lot more influential in the UK than elsewhere. Extremely clearly written and well argued, it goes against the grain for some modern trends in education discourse.

For example, he argues that knowledge of facts (word meanings, events, processes, rules. e.g. the background to the Boston Tea Party) are essential for learning skills (say critical thinking about a source text discussing the tea party). Having a level of background knowledge lets think more broadly and imaginatively about the events, rather than having to repeatedly refer to a reference. (I think I got this summary right). I think some of the later sections are more controversial but I haven't finished it yet. Thinking back to my own time in school, the techniques he describes are definitely what some of the better teachers did.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one thing I’ve noticed is that there are some people who have channels and can explain or walk you through a topic and give you some intuition of the topic.

I think if for example calculus was introduced to students by making them watch the 3blue1brown videos on calculus, the difference would be night and day.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. i never learned calculus

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
heh. yeah, I’ve got a bachelors of science degree. :smug:

what is a “derivative”? :confused:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
calculus ruined me

I kicked rear end at maths, never studied, got good grades. if I had studied or had tutoring I would have done so ellis

but when we started calculus, it was like we weren’t taught the start of it. there was no context.

it was literally just: apply these rules to these equations and solve the problems

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bobbilljim posted:

i forgot what cardinality means. i have an engineering degree

oh my god same

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bobbilljim posted:

i forgot what cardinality means. i have an engineering degree
i used to have a friend who wouldn't shut up about this ryan adams album. used to

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

the worst for me was statistics and anything involving Taylor series. I wasn't the only one either, I remember sitting in engineering maths lectures and the Prof would go "so how do we solve this? It must be a series expansion" and this big groan would go up.

i guess I have at least 10 years until mini two hander is gonna start doing calculus so by then I'll be totally brain dead I'm sure. Then again neither of my parents were any use with it either.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

President Beep posted:

what is a “derivative”? :confused:

you’re posts!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lament.cfg posted:

you’re posts!

oh!

oh...

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
when i was a kid i wondered about how much piss was left behind in the toilet after every flush and realized that it was intractable with the baby math i knew. I wondered about it for a long time and then eventually i got to diffEq and realized that the pissmath was actually very high level and complicated

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you should have asked your professor about your pee pee

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

calculus ruined me

I kicked rear end at maths, never studied, got good grades. if I had studied or had tutoring I would have done so ellis

but when we started calculus, it was like we weren’t taught the start of it. there was no context.

it was literally just: apply these rules to these equations and solve the problems

High school calc was poo poo for me too. Found it so hard year 12 /13 after not having to work in maths before. As soon as we started doing it at uni it was 10x easier. I suppose that could be because a good amount of it was retreading what we had done in high school though.
I still hit my maths limit hard though thankfully I went into software and had to do a lot less math than say, a civil engineering student

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

It's the study of cardinals you dumb shits
Humanities, cardinalities, sciencies, excetera

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

High school calc was poo poo for me too. Found it so hard year 12 /13 after not having to work in maths before. As soon as we started doing it at uni it was 10x easier. I suppose that could be because a good amount of it was retreading what we had done in high school though.
I still hit my maths limit hard though thankfully I went into software and had to do a lot less math than say, a civil engineering student

I live a life of regret that I didn’t do engineering

tbf I didn’t even know what engineering was when I was that age .

I was in the top class all thru school until last few years and then I went to polytechnic and spent a few months how to be a welder

gently caress I wish I had someone watching out for me going “hey this kid is smart how about we encourage him
to study at school or go to university or.. “ instead they were like like “if he wants to fry his brain with welding smoke he should”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bobbilljim posted:

High school calc was poo poo for me too.

I have advised both my kids to take stats in high school instead. If they need to take calc they can do it in college as God intended.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

weird, opposite for me. hs calc was great and I loved it. stats was mind numbing. then electrical engineering calc was hell world. triple integrals? laplace transforms?? discrete cosine transforms???

happily i now touch computers/networks and never have to think about maths ever again

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

I live a life of regret that I didn’t do engineering

tbf I didn’t even know what engineering was when I was that age .

I will never regret studying engineering but I will tell any child (mine or otherwise) that actually studying engineering is nothing like what you think engineering will be and they literally lure you in with "look at this cool stuff we do!" and then lol pranked it's actually 4 years of "maths with better examples"

I remember my younger sister had a friend that wanted to study mecheng at iirc Cambridge (which had a famously brutally hard course) and asked me about it as I was at one of the top "not Cambridge or Oxford" uni's and I said "whatever you do, do not study engineering there, you will hate it because this poo poo is bad enough as it is and they are way more intense on maths maths maths" and she ignored me and dropped out after the first year as she was sick of 24/5 maths with nothing else and no free time. At least I got to spend a minimum of 4/7 days drunk.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

At least I got to spend a minimum of 4/7 days drunk.

this is liek the universal constant of studying engineering

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I will never regret studying engineering but I will tell any child (mine or otherwise) that actually studying engineering is nothing like what you think engineering will be and they literally lure you in with "look at this cool stuff we do!" and then lol pranked it's actually 4 years of "maths with better examples"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Corla Plankun posted:

when i was a kid i wondered about how much piss was left behind in the toilet after every flush and realized that it was intractable with the baby math i knew. I wondered about it for a long time and then eventually i got to diffEq and realized that the pissmath was actually very high level and complicated
it seems very appropriate that a toilet is a homeopathic medicine generator

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I remember my younger sister had a friend that wanted to study mecheng at iirc Cambridge (which had a famously brutally hard course) and asked me about it as I was at one of the top "not Cambridge or Oxford" uni's and I said "whatever you do, do not study engineering there, you will hate it because this poo poo is bad enough as it is and they are way more intense on maths maths maths" and she ignored me and dropped out after the first year as she was sick of 24/5 maths with nothing else and no free time. At least I got to spend a minimum of 4/7 days drunk.

I don't doubt any of this and I know jobs aren't like they seem.

but I like science and maths and getting paid well.

oh and solving puzzles.

my job is often not puzzle solving but instead just executing best practices. lame

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

oh and solving puzzles.

my job is often not puzzle solving but instead just executing best practices. lame

you would really fit in as a software developer. it's not too late :getin: fake edit thought u would be on decent money though so might be a downgrade for a while until you got experience

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am on decent money but the industry I am in is imploding and there are various reasons I hate my job specifically and line of work in general.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

calculus ruined me

same, I was doing grade 12 match in grade 9 but I wasn't actually smart just 3 years a head for a while, once I got to calculus and matrix algebra I was no longer ahead

if I had learned matix math by writing a 3d engine or something I would have understood better, a teacher writing ith row and jth column 100 times on chalkboard never gave context

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

I have advised both my kids to take stats in high school instead. If they need to take calc they can do it in college as God intended.

my high school calc teacher was so much better than any of my college math instructors

no idea how universal that experience is

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i'm planning on speeding my kid though math as fast a humanly possible so they can learn as much as they can in the 2-12yo super elastic brain period where anything can be learned because i believe math literacy and critical thinking are the only skills that are important enough to worry about retaining from k-12

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

my high school calc teacher was so much better than any of my college math instructors

no idea how universal that experience is

yeah like i mean as always it's the teacher that makes the difference, but all things being equal i'd tell em to take stats

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Corla Plankun posted:

i'm planning on speeding my kid though math as fast a humanly possible so they can learn as much as they can in the 2-12yo super elastic brain period where anything can be learned because i believe math literacy and critical thinking are the only skills that are important enough to worry about retaining from k-12

what about how to read

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i assume she's going to learn reading at home but i guess if we dont get around to it yeah sure, that too

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

oh and solving puzzles.

I get you on this completely and honestly that's why I went from initially "yeah I guess I might as well get a job touching computers" to "I am actually good at touching computers and want to touch them more" because of the puzzle solving type aspect. I think I even said something like that in my first computer touching interview.

The problem is the other 75% of the job that's boring bullshit so looks like I was pranked again.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

So uh.

We had an oops.

The oops had a heartbeat this morning.

I guess this is happening?

I don't really want to say anything to anyone irl because it's so early. But I also have a lot of emotions and poo poo flowing through me where I just want to word vomit in an appropriate thread on this dead gay comedy forum.

What the gently caress man. I did not see this coming. I know it's gonna be fine, we're ready(?) for this, but what the gently caress.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

My wife signed up for a wine club as a pandemic treat and they literally just delivered a case of wine a week ago, lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

shoeberto posted:

So uh.

We had an oops.

I don't really want to say anything to anyone irl because it's so early. But I also have a lot of emotions and poo poo flowing through me where I just want to word vomit in an appropriate thread on this dead gay comedy forum.

What the gently caress man. I did not see this coming. I know it's gonna be fine, we're ready(?) for this, but what the gently caress.

it’s all very exciting. congratulations!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

shoeberto posted:

My wife signed up for a wine club as a pandemic treat and they literally just delivered a case of wine a week ago, lmao

more wine for you imo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oops, all creampies

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

rotor posted:

more wine for you imo

hell yes it is

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

shoeberto posted:

So uh.

We had an oops.

hell yeah, dude. my wife is just shy of 9 weeks, we’re also in that “too early to tell everyone” phase. first ultrasound this week, it’s crazy.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

congrats yosposters, kids are cool and good and lil babbys are so cute :kiddo: