Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Raeg posted:

Normally I'm on the "Dave is an old and confused man" train but this is not good. Not so good at all.

Edit: I know Bryan is sending out apology e-mails but errr... it's still up.

it's not going to be taken down, and if it is it's not going to be bryan's decision anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah I emailed Bryan and he apologized and said he didn’t know about the show until it was on the site and that it won’t happen again.

I believe it… I remember him talking about not really being involved in the other shows on his site. Maybe now he will be.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

DrVenkman posted:

Also, the thing I don't get, he was wrong anyway. So why bring it back up at all? Why try the martyrdom gambit when we know that the core argument he was making was false.

There was one quote that I didn't even fully take in during the blizzard of poo poo that may somewhat address this. Despite the fact that the guesses that he made in his article were wrong, he feels that the widow believed false things about what he said that he did not say.

"And in the end I just said, to honor his memory, come out and say what you know, and Amanda Huber and the family, they did do that, but what I found was, and some of it was piling on, and people who want to write about wrestling in a certain way and not hit the harder, hit the harder truths, was he said this, he said that, and words that I didn't use and words that were inflammatory and all that, and to the point where she even took it that way, and was upset with me for using these words I didn't use." -Bruce

I'm not really sure what the point of that is, since, whatever he thinks that she believed that was false, she had every right to be angry with him based upon what he did say.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Listening to the podcast on youtube,and Mitchell uses the old "I was just asking questions to protect everyone else who might not have been able to speak up" excuse :lol:

What an rear end in a top hat.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
His argument there being "I forced a grieving widow trying to get over a surprisingly early passing of her husband to make long public statements because I was on my bullshit"

loving cancel culture, how dare it do this to Bruce.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Bruce was SOOOOO convinced that he’d be the guy to uncover that Brodie actually died from COVID, and that AEW was part of a conspiracy to hide it. He went so far over the edge that week, it was so wild to see.

I wonder if Dave is misinformed on all the details, or knows what actually happened and thinks what Bruce did was appropriate. Pretty hosed up either way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

mkay0 posted:

Bruce was SOOOOO convinced that he’d be the guy to uncover that Brodie actually died from COVID, and that AEW was part of a conspiracy to hide it. He went so far over the edge that week, it was so wild to see.

I wonder if Dave is misinformed on all the details, or knows what actually happened and thinks what Bruce did was appropriate. Pretty hosed up either way.

I really do not understand how Dave could read what Mitchell wrote and not see what pretty much every other person who read it saw. What Mitchell was arguing was pretty clear because he's been doing this writing thing for a while.

Did Dave genuinely not understand why people were mad about this when it was happening?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

DrVenkman posted:

Did Dave genuinely not understand why

Yes

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

How does one support just Bryan and Vinny if that's all you care about? I didn't care much about Dave/Garrett before, and I really don't see any reason to keep paying them now.

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Helicity posted:

How does one support just Bryan and Vinny if that's all you care about? I didn't care much about Dave/Garrett before, and I really don't see any reason to keep paying them now.

Someone on The Board inferred that Twitch/YouTube money doesn’t get shared with Dave, I have no idea how true that is though.

I’m in the same boat - Love B&V but don’t feel comfortable at all continuing to support Dave and Garrett. Dave just doesn’t learn…

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Helicity posted:

Apparently, the video site revenue only goes to Bryan and co.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Helicity posted:

sub to f4w youtube & twitch.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
twitch is probably the way to go since that's only B&V

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave’s brain broke over the peyton royce thing and the jim cornette nwa thing, he’s always had ignorant opinions here and there but i think those were watershed moments

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

As I recall, he was also unbelievably lovely about the #speakingout thing as well.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
He doxxed one of the women involved in the Elgin thing. Between apoloigising for Bill Watts' racism, responding to the Honma accusations with "women, what can you say?", the Elgin thing, and this, he's been a piece of poo poo for a long time now

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
To expand on the Elgin thing:

When Elgin sued Mo, his original accuser, for defamation, his lawyer put out a press release that made a point of using their (in the middle of all this, Mo started identifying as nonbinary) legal name, which they did not use online. Various wrestling reporters fell for this trap, though it seems like they got tipped off later, because I can't find any examples on Google anymore. Dave was one of them, using Mo's legal name in the Observer. When Mo and I think some other people called him out, Dave stood his ground. When I very politely tried to explain that this went against all modern standards for reporting on sexual assault allegations, Dave repeatedly rebutted it by saying he talked to various mainstream reporters who said you would never withhold the name of someone being sued. He never made it clear if he told these people the full circumstances and wouldn't listen to any explanation, even using the AP guide, of why he was wrong.

While his #SpeakingOut coverage was FAR from perfect, he did seemingly learn his lesson, because he didn't report the names of the anonymous accusers who Joey Ryan sued. (To my surprise and relief, nobody did. Some Reddit commenters and forum posters did, but the ones I saw all came off as uninformed as opposed to malicious.)

For full context, there was more Elgin/Meltzer baggage, though: In a LONG Observer forum thread about all of the Elgin poo poo, Dave—without any context or comment—dropped in a link to a Tumblr that was designed to smear her. As far as I know, he never responded to any of the numerous requests to clarify his motives there.

With the Watts thing, I'm not defending defending Watts, but it always seemed like most people forgot the actual most racist poo poo he said and focused largely on the stuff that could be excused as "extreme libertarianism." How many of them *deliberately* forgot Watts's comments ("...because they intermarried and got educated...") suggesting Black Americans succeeded here because they started mixing with "superior" white blood, I have no idea.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Comparing this situation to Nick Gage is so loving gross. Gage robbed a bank a loving decade ago because he was severely addicted to opioids, did his time, got out and has stayed clean.

Mitchell was just being an ignorant, entitled rear end in a top hat.

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
F4W took the show down with Bryan commenting on The Board.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HPJoker posted:

F4W took the show down with Bryan commenting on The Board.

Got a link to the board post?

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
https://theboard.f4wonline.com/forum/the-board/radio-shows/4570775-wor-with-bruce-mitchell-may-14-2021?p=4572192#post4572192

"The show has been removed from the website.

I just want to say that I appreciate everyone who has given their honest thoughts on this show, whether it be here, via email or PM to me, etc. I have stated many times that if you don't like a wrestling show, don't watch it or support it with your dollars, and it would be hypocritical of me to say the opposite here. I hope that everyone's responses, whether in writing or via your pocketbook, ultimately lead to a better site in the future. Thanks."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Link

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Edit: beaten

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dave vs Bryan are having a civil war

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
edit: too slow

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How does the business side of F4W/WON work? Is Dave in charge or is Bryan?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
bryan is definitely in charge of wasting money, that i know

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Dave vs Bryan are having a civil war

who will win, the old man who gets buffer every year or the dude who never ages

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dave Meltzer vs Bryan Alvarez in a loser leaves WON match.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

who will win, the old man who gets buffer every year or the dude who never ages

It's gonna end up in a WOL Civil War and Bryan's team will win simply because Filthy Tom is gonna break Dave's typing hand.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I strongly dislike Dave, but Bryan is okay and I really enjoyed his Death of WCW book. I don't think either of them break legit news these days so basically they're both just pundits with opinions more than anything else, I think Bryan would do better without Dave Meltzer anyway, but I'm not a listener or supporter of anything Dave does for a while now so who knows if WOR is any better than it was a few years ago.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I very very rarely listen to WOR without Bryan and only then if the blurb for the episode suggests Dave going to talk about something I really want to know about, and I guess that habit will continue.

If Bryan had his own network for audio only feeds of WOL/FFD/B&V stuff I’d switch.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Dave Meltzer vs Bryan Alvarez in a loser has to stay on WON match.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
dave sweating right now whether he should talk about bananas or the weights tomorrow

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dunno what to think about Dave on this one. I like him, but this is....puh-retty bad.

Garrett just seems like a complete piece of poo poo the more I learn about him, though. Isn't he anti-labor too?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

DrVenkman posted:

Dave has had his perspective ruined by social media. He has started to see any criticism as coming from a place of ignorance because he spends all of his time fighting with people who are ignorant. When you see everything as being in bad faith, it's easy to side with a friend when they say oh it's not me, I'm the victim Dave, it's all these people who just don't get it.

It was just a few weeks ago Dave corrected someone, saying that the bad faith people on Twitter are in the vast minority. I think he just sees any feedback as coming from a source that isn't as enlightened as he is.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Helicity posted:

It was just a few weeks ago Dave corrected someone, saying that the bad faith people on Twitter are in the vast minority. I think he just sees any feedback as coming from a source that isn't as enlightened as he is.

When was the last time he admitted being wrong and apologised? He can acknowledge that most ppl are good faith but if he doesn't actually take anything on board and change then so what?

I mean as stubborn as Bryan can be he at least admits to fuckups sometimes

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

When was the last time he admitted being wrong and apologised? He can acknowledge that most ppl are good faith but if he doesn't actually take anything on board and change then so what?

I mean as stubborn as Bryan can be he at least admits to fuckups sometimes

Yeah, I think we're agreeing with each other? I was just saying it's not because bad faith Twitter broke his brain. It's because he has to be right all the time.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Helicity posted:

Yeah, I think we're agreeing with each other? I was just saying it's not because bad faith Twitter broke his brain. It's because he has to be right all the time.

Yeah absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Incessant Excess posted:

dave sweating right now whether he should talk about bananas or the weights tomorrow

Imagine if the banana smashing story came out now for the first time