Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1393576294084927495?s=21

The Amphibia season finale will be airing next Saturday, with no changes it looks like, just a disclaimer in the promo and probably the beginning of the episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cartoons123 posted:

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1393576294084927495?s=21

The Amphibia season finale will be airing next Saturday, with no changes it looks like, just a disclaimer in the promo and probably the beginning of the episode

Oh thank Frog!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope anne finds her other shoe

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The 7th Guest posted:

The episode actually got pulled because an exec noticed that Anne's been walking around with a single shoe for months now and demanded that she get another one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Funky Valentine posted:

The episode actually got pulled because an exec noticed that Anne's been walking around with a single shoe for months now and demanded that she get another one.

You'd think Sasha would have returned it at Toad Tower before everything went to heck.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1393596755795615747?s=20

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1393596756760223746?s=20

There were no edits. So what the gently caress happened?

Edit: "ultimately made." Oh, so there were proposed edits.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 15, 2021

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Talking out of my rear end, but I'm guessing there was probably a conflict between higher ups who maybe wanted edits, and Braly who most likely did not, and whether or not the leak swayed any change in opinion, ultimately the added disclaimer was the compromise.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

The 7th Guest posted:

The missing shoe wouldn't bother me so much if she wasn't still wearing the sock. Amphibia is wet and muddy, and it is miserably walking around with a wet sock!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the paths Sasha and Marcy took in Amphibia represent different traditional takes on fantasy. Marcy's doing a more gamey D&D kinda thing where she's fascinated about background details of the world and the ability to reinvent herself in a new setting, while Sasha's gotten involved in a Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings style drama with armies battling over things.

But then the show's following Ann, and she doesn't want to escape from her old life or build her own dominion, and so the show can settle in this weird goofy area with a bunch of farmers living their lives in a way that fantasy stories usually ignore.

The 7th Guest posted:

There was a whole episode about Marcy getting her a new outfit, and still she didn't get another shoe. Both Marcy and Sasha have failed as friends. Friends don't let friends go around with one really gross wet sock.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Marcy: Isekai
Sasha: Game of Thrones
Anne: Disney

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

cartoons123 posted:

Talking out of my rear end, but I'm guessing there was probably a conflict between higher ups who maybe wanted edits, and Braly who most likely did not, and whether or not the leak swayed any change in opinion, ultimately the added disclaimer was the compromise.

For further tales from my rear end, I'm almost certain the iTunes release helped sway the decision. I was pretty sure the delay meant that they were gonna edit it but it looks like Matt Braly was able to successfully argue against it. If the episode wasn't already out in the wild, it'd be incredibly easy for Disney to demand changes and make everyone sign a specific NDA on the nature of those changes and keep the lid on it. They'd almost certainly have done that if it weren't for the leak.

e: Braly also mentioned a "surprise". I think there's a non-zero chance they rushed together a season three promo that'll serve as a part of the compromise which will take the edge off of the ending for the younger viewers.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 15, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

amphibia is actualy i-sock-ai

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ruflux posted:

For further tales from my rear end, I'm almost certain the iTunes release helped sway the decision. I was pretty sure the delay meant that they were gonna edit it but it looks like Matt Braly was able to successfully argue against it. If the episode wasn't already out in the wild, it'd be incredibly easy for Disney to demand changes and make everyone sign a specific NDA on the nature of those changes and keep the lid on it. They'd almost certainly have done that if it weren't for the leak.

e: Braly also mentioned a "surprise". I think there's a non-zero chance they rushed together a season three promo that'll serve as a part of the compromise which will take the edge off of the ending for the younger viewers.
I mean, it could have always been meant to follow the episode, hence why they were so determined to stop people watching the itunes release, since you're missing the intended context.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Braly threatened to walk out if they made him give Anne her other shoe.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How about instead of putting another shoe on, Anne just took off her other shoe?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Electric Phantasm posted:

How about instead of putting another shoe on, Anne just took off her other shoe?

Running around barefoot? What madness is this?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Only having one shoe will gently caress up your posture.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Running around outdoors barefoot is understandable, the bulk of the cast does it.

Running around outdoors in socks is madness. You wear out your socks, you sponge up all the junk to spread it around, and they don't really protect your feet at all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
You'll get trench foot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, thanks to some toy pictures we have our first look at He-Man and Skeletor from the reboot series (the one that’s coming out alongside Revelations):

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
it's just a box render, but they totally look like fortnite characters that got the scaling tool dragged to the right

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched more of the Wacky Races reboot with my son, and God help me, but... I've kind of got into it? It's gone so far into absurdist, slapstick, fourth-wall-breaking mockery of Hollywood/television/animation and ignoring the actual premise of, y'know, racing in favour of doing whatever the hell it wants that it's headed off into its own bizarre little universe.

That it somehow achieves a brief-but-genuine moment of poignant existentialism and sympathy for a cartoon character in an episode with the title 'Wackier Than Fiction' is even more :wtc:.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Have we talked about how weirdly well animated this lego kids show is yet?

https://youtu.be/ULT6t7ykRfs

Very annoyed that I can’t legally stream this thing but I guess that’s what :filez: are for.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

readingatwork posted:

Have we talked about how weirdly well animated this lego kids show is yet?

https://youtu.be/ULT6t7ykRfs

Very annoyed that I can’t legally stream this thing but I guess that’s what :filez: are for.

Youtube has been recommending me clips from it and it looks real nice.

They got Goku to voice what I assume is the mentor character.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He is Son Woukon, yes.

Seriously, though, what's with Flying Bark and their bum luck with these things, huh?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A guy put out a video on the Black Cauldron, the movie that failed so badly that Disney would be forever ashamed of, and tried to put together a full analysis of everything that Jeffery Katzenberg cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIuK4OZCWbU

It seems like the movie was poorly fated from the start from just how much creative teams were swapped around and how much the older generation of artists tried to constrain the younger, and that washed out a lot of the uniqueness of the original books, but when Katzenberg came in and tried to cut out most of the death and violence from a story that hinges around death, that really ruined the movie's chances at standing out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That aside, it could be neat to get a proper adaption of the books one day (they seem interesting enough at least)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Owl House s2 intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYqzwDPczqs

It was picked up for a "third season", although said season will consist of only three 44-minute specials. Which means it's probably the final season... and also would fall in line with Amphibia and DuckTales ending after three seasons. Dunno if that's a network policy or if it's just coincidental-- at least in Amphibia's case, Braly seemed to plan it as a three-act story from the beginning

e: from the creator

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1394346362892734466
https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1394347033260007424

great month for Disney TV execs

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 17, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, historically they had this rule that shows couldn't go past 65 episodes. That's why the Kim Possible revival was so significant. And with recent shows (Star, I think?), we'd gotten the idea that Disney was easing away from that policy. But it seems those were exceptions rather than the new rule.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well this isn't even 65 episodes. the show will end with a total of 46 half-hours (43 episodes in total)

e: i'll remove my speculation because idk. even if it was the reason, disney would never admit it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 17, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Unfortunately I assume there's more going on behind the scenes for that kind of Season 3 order beyond some policy about episode count limits. I assume it's probably some budget/rating thing or maybe it's executive interference for some other reason, but it's disappointing either way and no one would be in a position to talk about it openly.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Glory be to Hoot Prime?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this would imply that they did not want the show to end (at least not this way)

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1394368005786595333

hopefully it ends up not feeling too rushed/crammed

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 18, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look, who do I write to at Disney so they can have Alex Hirsch make more Gravity Falls? Disney+ series filling in episodes, or The Next Summer or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Look, who do I write to at Disney so they can have Alex Hirsch make more Gravity Falls? Disney+ series filling in episodes, or The Next Summer or something.

Since he quit because of burnout I think the real question is "who do I write to at Disney so they can make Alex Hirsch make more Gravity Falls?"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Alex Hirsch has said in the past that he wants to do a Stanley/Stanford movie that would close out the series so that could still conceivably happen.

*fingers crossed*

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

I wonder if all these shows ending has anything to do with disney plus? disney channel has been slow to announce anything new recently, plus with the death of cable ever looming I'm guessing that the mouse is ready to pull the plug?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given how the disney channels went elsewhere around the world, I wouldn't be suprised.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

There's probably like a hundred different possible reasons for why this happened. The biggest one I've heard (and what some insiders seem to have brought up as well) is just simple budget cuts. Disney isn't doing as well as they should be financially due to, well, obvious reasons. Parks closed for a long while, live action productions halted, movie releases going all bust, etc. so they're slashing budgets where they can. Apparently TVA is unimportant enough to be heavily affected. Amphibia's season three budget was cut too, but because it was further along it was presumably too late to cut down the episode count.

Disney Channel and cable in general isn't doing so hot, true. Disney's definitely looking into getting out of TV altogether in favor of Disney Plus. The only metrics that they care about for viewership are apps like DisneyNOW, people buying their shows on iTunes or even social media buzz. Some shows still do really well with their target demo, even on the channel, but it seems neither TOH nor Amphibia really took off the way Gravity Falls did, for example.

Gravity Falls. Disney was obviously bent on recreating the success of that show for a while, greenlighting shows that had the adventure and the lore aspects built-in, from new creators and specifically Gravity Falls alumni. DuckTales '17, The Owl House, and Amphibia are all pretty obvious attempts at making a show similar to that, but it seems like the target demo of 6-11 year olds is more interested in sitcom style shows like Big City Greens. Matt Braly outright said Disney is now looking for their own The Loud House. He had to fight to even keep the less mundane not-everyday life aspects in play on his show. Dana Terrace talked much of the same.

I could probably go on. You could make an educated guess that with how much Dana's vision for the show differed from the end product that the production was not exactly smooth sailing and maybe Disney just wanted to be done with the show as a result. Dana also said that she found working with multiple bosses that all gave conflicting notes on everything very frustrating. Maybe DTVA can't even agree with itself what they want TOH to be as a show and as a result it's just getting axed.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Geo Fixer posted:

I wonder if all these shows ending has anything to do with disney plus? disney channel has been slow to announce anything new recently, plus with the death of cable ever looming I'm guessing that the mouse is ready to pull the plug?
Excluding 2017, Disney typically only launches one new cartoon for the main channel a year (Big City Greens in 2018, Amphibia in 2019, The Owl House in 2020, Ghost and Molly McGee in 2021, Hamster & Gretel in 2022) so nothing's really changed there.

They were producing more cartoons when Disney XD was given a primary focus because they functionally had two main channels going... XD is the one being phased out so you're basically just swapping XD with Disney+.

I think if Disney really didn't care about the main channel, they would be putting episodes of Owl House and Amphibia on Disney+ day and date rather than making viewers wait until the entire season has aired. And Disney is still choosing to go with this plan for Owl House S2.

As for the rest of Disney programming, they have a live-action series premiering towards the end of the year, and a great british bake off ripoff coming this summer... they renewed Secret of Sulphur Springs for another season last month. There are COVID complications when it comes to live-action material and that would be a more realistic explanation of what's going on there, rather than a plan to pull the plug on the channel. Being realistic I don't think any of the three main kids networks wants to be the first one to go dark, they will stay on the titanic until it's at the ocean floor.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 18, 2021