Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I missed the first part of the stream, did Griffin design the ship based combat system from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

I missed the first part of the stream, did Griffin design the ship based combat system from scratch?

yeah seems like it, inspired by other things but his own system

he didn't really explain that much until this part about gambits

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That’s cool, it sounds pretty fun

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jesus drat charlieverse was amazing

Working my way through the swapped bits episode of MBMBaM, and Travis with a glorious self-own was hilarious.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Charlieverse got me to subscribe for the first time ever, although I haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The Charlieverse encounter that Justin gives a disclaimer before is the ultimate 6 year-old thought, and it's just so so good.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The Charlieverse encounter that Justin gives a disclaimer before is the ultimate 6 year-old thought, and it's just so so good.

Was that the you have to shoot the babies one? The whole thing was so good.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Griffin Mcelroy DnD Discussion with guest Brennan Lee Mulligan is like Steve Jobs teaches you how to code with guest Steve Wozniak.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Sankis posted:

Was that the you have to shoot the babies one? The whole thing was so good.
That was the part that had me howling.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
ngl I keep reading it as “Earthsea” and momentarily getting thrown off

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

ngl I keep reading it as “Earthsea” and momentarily getting thrown off

me too haha

I’m really enjoying this so far, it’s honestly the best mcelroy content in recent memory outside monster factory to me. I hope the main campaign itself is as fun

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

eke out posted:

honestly this sounds like a lot of really fun changes

mission based system, crew balancing short-term resources at the beginning of missions versus slower long-term permanent upgrades to their ship, lots of choice of missions, lots of randomness independent of the missions when you set out to see, etc

ship combat super heavily abstracted, e.g.: positioning is a contested roll based on certain states, the party that wins has the positional advantage and gets to set the narrative of how they're handling the fight

Ethersea: In which Griffin McElroy takes as much as he possibly can from the Blades in the Dark system while not making his audience skittish about it not being DnD

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Undead Hippo posted:

Ethersea: In which Griffin McElroy takes as much as he possibly can from the Blades in the Dark system while not making his audience skittish about it not being DnD

i mean.. yeah, that's a pretty good improvement

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
ok

I am v much enjoying Mission: Imp Hospital

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Empty Sandwich posted:

ok

I am v much enjoying Mission: Imp Hospital

Mods!?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Justin is very good at naming things.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I genuinely like Montaigne so this isn't meant as a dig against the new theme song, but it is weird that the portion they use has "it's better with you / it's better with two" for a podcast featuring three brothers.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Better with two... Other brothers.

It still tracks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
it’s “my brother, my brother, and me”

not “my brother, my brother, my brother, and me”

or

it’s one you, plus two (brothers)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Acute Grill posted:

I genuinely like Montaigne so this isn't meant as a dig against the new theme song, but it is weird that the portion they use has "it's better with you / it's better with two" for a podcast featuring three brothers.

Classic Travis burn

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s one you, plus two (brothers)

Two brothers?
https://youtu.be/0NXHNjAXUxY?t=82s

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Acute Grill posted:

a couple people made this joke about Travis

then they immediately got rid of Griffin for a couple weeks

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Empty Sandwich posted:

a couple people made this joke about Travis

then they immediately got rid of Griffin for a couple weeks

Plot Twist: Justin resigns from the podcast.

"It's a Departure" didn't really have anything to do with their podcast either, to be fair. I just probably wouldn't have picked a song that's clearly about two people for my three-person podcast. Ah well, it's not important.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Travis comes out as genderqueer and they rename the podcast “Sibling Ribaldry”

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I sincerely don't seem to have the MBMBAM MaxFunDrive episode? When did it come out (looks like the feed updated over time)?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

I sincerely don't seem to have the MBMBAM MaxFunDrive episode? When did it come out (looks like the feed updated over time)?

It's called Bonus Freaky Funday and it came out on the 2 May

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Acute Grill posted:

"It's a Departure" didn't really have anything to do with their podcast either, to be fair. I just probably wouldn't have picked a song that's clearly about two people for my three-person podcast. Ah well, it's not important.

Yea it is weird, the outro clip of the song iirc doesnt have the "it takes two" line so I feel they should just use that for the intro.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Modern Leper posted:

If you've been a donor before and still have the link saved in your podcast app, you'll have to update the link to this year's.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Acute Grill posted:

The song has grown on me as it is a ‘bop’, as the kids say…but it’s a song about a burgeoning teenage lesbian crush and very atonal for a trio of cis-heterosexual middle-aged brothers making fart jokes.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I don't give them money and I skip the money zone but I like the pod.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Marsupial Ape posted:

The song has grown on me as it is a ‘bop’, as the kids say…but it’s a song about a burgeoning teenage lesbian crush and very atonal for a trio of cis-heterosexual middle-aged brothers making fart jokes.

How is it less suited than "hey good girls do you wanna just say yeah I wanna" with the most awkward rhythm transition of all time

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

more falafel please posted:

How is it less suited than "hey good girls do you wanna just say yeah I wanna" with the most awkward rhythm transition of all time

I’ve never listened to more of It’s a Departure than the intro section. I just listened to the first 2 minutes or so and it is not a good song. Also I never realized the Money Zone Intro was part of the same song :psyduck:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

koshmar posted:

I’ve never listened to more of It’s a Departure than the intro section. I just listened to the first 2 minutes or so and it is not a good song. Also I never realized the Money Zone Intro was part of the same song :psyduck:
that's because the money zone part is literally just jammed in there. there's like no transition at all between the two stages of the song

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Acute Grill posted:

I thought they said they commissioned the song specificly for the show which makes the lyrics even more confusing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think the podcast trio sent lyrics to a musician. If anything, they requested a certain sound/vibe and provided feedback in that particular area.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

koshmar posted:

I never understood how Roderick/The Long Winters could be the kind of “so my friend has this band...” band that would have an album from 2006 shilled on a McElroy podcast from like 2010 to 2021 and also be the kind of band with enough industry clout to go on multiple USO tours and industry events and rub elbows with really famous people over decades and poo poo.

I guess it’s not actually that confusing at all—most artists and bands that get signed never really break big and many never manage to pay off their advances. And lots of them go on putting in lots of industry work and hobnobbing/professional development/recording and building careers for themselves doing other poo poo like A/R, songwriting, or producing. Tons of label employees and execs, many of whom initially got picked up as ‘talent’, are making music all the time and getting it noticed by their colleagues....and not really anybody else. That’s also how a lot of people get into making music for production, film, etc.

Hell, if anybody just learned who 9-time Grammy nominee, 2000 Nashville Music Awards Songwriter/Artist of the Year, 2008 Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for Songwriting from the Americana Music Association, and 2019 BMI Troubador Award winner John Hiatt was from the recent Flophouse episode about The Country Bears like me, then you know that the industry runs because of people like that, including many with tremendous influence, people who sit in on songwriting sessions for the likes of Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, that you’ve never loving heard of and will never know about until you read their little obit in the NYT one day and go “huh, what a cool life that dude had!”

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 17, 2021

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Marsupial Ape posted:

The more i hear it the more it grows on me and the more it seems completely wrong for the show.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
I honestly can't think of many podcasts that use songs for intro/outro music that mesh totally well with the theme except for like... bigsofttitty.png. The intro song for Dungeons & Daddies kicks but doesn't really communicate the show's theme or mood at all. Be Your Own Pet's Adventure as the theme for the OneShot RPG podcast works really well.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

scopes posted:

I honestly can't think of many podcasts that use songs for intro/outro music that mesh totally well with the theme except for like... bigsofttitty.png. The intro song for Dungeons & Daddies kicks but doesn't really communicate the show's theme or mood at all. Be Your Own Pet's Adventure as the theme for the OneShot RPG podcast works really well.

Funnily enough, while Dungeons and Daddies doesn't communicate its theme through its intro song, Talking Dads short little twangy intro perfectly captures the show's tone. It's only like five seconds long but it is so laid back and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Baby Geniuses has good and appropriate music, especially the Chunch Chat song.