Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I pulled the trigger on the 7.5 hp Laguna shaper and I’ve already realized if I’m gonna use it for cabinet doors I really should have 2 or 3 shapers lol. Hoooooly gently caress shaper tooling is expensive. Time to learn to grind my own knives I guess? :getin:

No, unless you can braze carbide too and then grind that within tolerance. I always got good panel cutters astoundingly cheap from :drumroll: Grizzly. You can get a much smaller one to do the cope and stick, and they had reversible sets, although you still had to swap out and fiddle with spindle height. Heck you could do that on a router table, but I wouldn't at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Ok I have a semi-novice question. I just got a router (the bauer makita knockoff), and I was trying to figure out the dimensions of the base in case I wanted to make jigs for it that screw into the base reasonably. Is there a reason that the dimensions of the screw holes in the base are so weird? Like...

This really seems kind of contrived. What do I even reference off if I want to drill this pattern into a jig? Why is one pair 54 apart and the other 56? Is that centered?

Basically, is there some secret sauce to these measurements that makes something non-obvious easier? Or is this just kind of random numbers thrown out by a finite element analysis that says those holes make for a strong base or something?

(Annoyingly this also implies that if I put a rail on two diagonal screws, and then have that rail ride in a slot, the router bit will be juuuuuuuust slightly off the center of the rail. Mystifying design.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 13, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/colfox_/status/1045488547027914752

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I love how instead of unplugging it or having it on a surge protector with a switch, they reach in to turn it off with a switch that may or may not be currently melting.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
That heavy smoke at the end looks tasty

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mirconium posted:

Ok I have a semi-novice question. I just got a router (the bauer makita knockoff), and I was trying to figure out the dimensions of the base in case I wanted to make jigs for it that screw into the base reasonably. Is there a reason that the dimensions of the screw holes in the base are so weird? Like...

This really seems kind of contrived. What do I even reference off if I want to drill this pattern into a jig? Why is one pair 54 apart and the other 56? Is that centered?

Basically, is there some secret sauce to these measurements that makes something non-obvious easier? Or is this just kind of random numbers thrown out by a finite element analysis that says those holes make for a strong base or something?

(Annoyingly this also implies that if I put a rail on two diagonal screws, and then have that rail ride in a slot, the router bit will be juuuuuuuust slightly off the center of the rail. Mystifying design.

I would assume that the 54 and 56 are centered. Ideally, you'd want either a centerline or another dimension, someone was lazy.

The only reason I would assume for those being different is that they wanted the base to go on only one way.

I'd reference everything off the center of the router. That seems like the most important point in the drawing.

Don't get tripped up with the holes not being symmetrical in the vertical dimension, either.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mirconium posted:

The answer to 'why' for most of these questions is something only the designer can answer. I doubt they did any serious FEA for something so simple either. They're not nicely symmetric like you think they should be because there likely wasn't a design requirement to make them that way. Even if they were radially symmetric I wouldn't trust that a diagonal connecting piece would go across the dead center. There's way too much tolerance stackup between that part and the cutting bit for it to line up well.

More specifically, yes those two pairs of holes are centered. Leaving that out is a normal drawing convention to keep it less cluttered.

If you want to copy it, can you trace the hole location directly onto whatever your replacing it with? That'll be more accurate than trying to make a matching piece based on the drawing alone. Unless you have good machine tools available.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

No, unless you can braze carbide too and then grind that within tolerance. I always got good panel cutters astoundingly cheap from :drumroll: Grizzly. You can get a much smaller one to do the cope and stick, and they had reversible sets, although you still had to swap out and fiddle with spindle height. Heck you could do that on a router table, but I wouldn't at this point.
My old boss used to grind HSS ones that we just ran in a squeeze collar to make moldings and at the time I thought that was neat but now I realize those things are dangerous af and I should have been much more scared! Corrugated HSS knife stock is available though and much much cheaper than whole wing cutters or getting knives made for mouldings, so idk, I'll probably at least give it a try and learn that actually get knives ground is cheap by comparison.

I saw grizzly had a bunch of cutters and figured they were decent enough. I don't really do big production runs for the most part, so they should be fine. Woodworker's Supply is having a huge sale on their Woodtek line of router bits and shaper cutters and I'm gonna try and pick up a few basic cope/stick cutters there. I've had good luck with their router bits. I mostly really bought this to use as a giant flush trim router to make my pencil post beds 1000x easier and the 4" spiral cutterhead and bearing was $400 from Charles GG Schmidt and it was very :shepspends: Shouldn't ever need another one though. It looks like the old Delta shapers had stub spindles available and that seems like it would be useful to have for making longer tenons on doors.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mirconium posted:

You design mass production parts with radial asymmetry so the assembly line drones can't put it together backwards. Your best bet for making copies of that bolt hole pattern is gonna be a 4.5mm transfer punch and a clamp.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 14, 2021

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I got a grizzly 17” bandsaw before realizing that while it’ll physically fit in my shop, I won’t be able to put it on a mobile base or keep it in a spot where it’ll have any infeed or outfeed space :/. Fun part is I ordered it April 5th and actually haven’t gotten it yet thanks to shipping delays, it’s supposed to show up tomorrow and then I can finally initiate a return and somehow get it sent back.

In the meantime, this year is powermatic’s 100th anniversary and they’re revamping some of their lineup to be all pretty-pretty for it http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/promotions/100-year-anniversary/

Double checked the dimensions and snagged me one of those bandsaws as a replacement :D

Hopefully it actually shows up when they say it’s supposed to

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mirconium posted:

In addition to what others have said, also keep in mind that most router bases do not use the holes to centre the base with the bit. There's an extra little cone shaped thing you can buy that goes into the collet that you push against the base then tighten the screws in order to get it centred. The router I bought was definitely pretty far off centre and it was only visible when I actually put on the centring bit and checked. I had to loosen those screws on the base then push the centring bit against it then tighten everything back down.

Example of what I'm talking about
https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DNP617-Centering-Compact-Router/dp/B004AJEUOY

Also you probably already know this but you can just print that template off at real size with something like Matthias Wandel's bigprint or some other similar program that lets you scale/size check and glue it to the wood to cut/drill to size rather than measuring all those distances precisely (assuming the drawing is actually properly to scale).
https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Finished up the wood slat walls of my shop a few weeks ago and am now tackling the problem of having absolutely no place to put things. To take care of that I’ve been designing a miter station and just finally wrapped up the design!

Complete with filing cabinet drawers for those hanging file organizer thingies, and some wide thin drawers for larger (arch D size and such) printed plans. Should have a cut list done this weekend but might hold off until my useable bandsaw shows up to take care of the cabinet carcasses.

Super duper excited and looking forward to having places for things, and putting said things into their places.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I mostly really bought this to use as a giant flush trim router to make my pencil post beds 1000x easier and the 4" spiral cutterhead and bearing was $400 from Charles GG Schmidt and it was very :shepspends: Shouldn't ever need another one though.

I like the way you think. Couple dozen to a hundred of those beds and you're back whole again.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It looks like the old Delta shapers had stub spindles available and that seems like it would be useful to have for making longer tenons on doors.

Spindles should be interchangeable. I'd fwiggen hope they are. If you can't find a 0° bevel panel cutter, surely you could craft a sliding miter gauge jig to get a 0° bevel variation of a panel raising bit that would cut a, what, 3" tenon?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I would like to be installed in my basement and possibly also in my garage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fortaleza posted:

Finished up the wood slat walls of my shop a few weeks ago and am now tackling the problem of having absolutely no place to put things. To take care of that I’ve been designing a miter station and just finally wrapped up the design!

Complete with filing cabinet drawers for those hanging file organizer thingies, and some wide thin drawers for larger (arch D size and such) printed plans. Should have a cut list done this weekend but might hold off until my useable bandsaw shows up to take care of the cabinet carcasses.

Super duper excited and looking forward to having places for things, and putting said things into their places.

Awesome. I like having a station with ruled tracks etc. Makes knocking out projects that don't need super fine work a snap. I've only got about half the shelves built so far that I want though.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That Works posted:

Awesome. I like having a station with ruled tracks etc. Makes knocking out projects that don't need super fine work a snap. I've only got about half the shelves built so far that I want though.

Oh right, I completely forgot about the tracks going in whoops. Going to go with the wood whisperer’s design I think https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/miter-station/, one track with ruling and one t-track for a stop. It’s one of the very last steps before adding paint and finish so I keep forgetting about ‘em

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do you have enough outfeed room to the left of your router? Maybe so, if you don't like, rout the edge of a long board along its entire length, but it's worth thinking about.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Do you have enough outfeed room to the left of your router? Maybe so, if you don't like, rout the edge of a long board along its entire length, but it's worth thinking about.

There’s just over 3 1/2 feet, should be plenty I think. If I’m routing something larger I can always take the router out and do the work on my workbench but I don’t have any projects on the near or far horizon that I can think of that would involve that.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Fortaleza posted:

This is great, and is close to what I'll be putting in my shop as well.

I'm curious why you need the bandsaw for it though. Is it to cut the little squares for the toe kicks?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This is great, and is close to what I'll be putting in my shop as well.

I'm curious why you need the bandsaw for it though. Is it to cut the little squares for the toe kicks?

Thanks!

Yeah the bandsaw would be for those cuts as well as similar ones for support cleats you can’t see well in that pic (you can see some of the bottom back ones directly below the power tool stations towards the floor).

Could do them without a bandsaw but there are 11 vertical boards in those cabinets, each with identical or similar cuts so the bandsaw would make quick work of it compared to doing it with my crosscut saw.

One thing I haven’t tackled yet is how to secure the horizontal boards holding the router table and miter saw. Ideally it’d be something adjustable so I can get the surfaces of the tools lined up with the top surface, but also can’t have any hardware sticking through the cabinet too far or it’ll get in the way of cabinets functioning, but still needs to be strong enough to hold the tools plus take any downward force when using them on pieces.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

One thing I haven’t tackled yet is how to secure the horizontal boards holding the router table and miter saw. Ideally it’d be something adjustable so I can get the surfaces of the tools lined up with the top surface, but also can’t have any hardware sticking through the cabinet too far or it’ll get in the way of cabinets functioning, but still needs to be strong enough to hold the tools plus take any downward force when using them on pieces.

I'm tentatively looking at making a miter stand and one video I watched had the guy mount the shelf an inch or so low and used a replaceable spacer block to get it level. The blocks can be swapped out if the tool is replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTWjHWg89E

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 14, 2021

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, I've got a novice question that hopefully has an easy answer. I'm looking to cut out a shape from a board to fit into a hole in a table. The overall shape to be cut is a 6 3/4in box with a D shaped curve on one side. Cutting out the straight sides is no problem, but I'm looking for an easy way to cut out the curve I'll need and have it be relatively square WRT the face of the board. All I have for tools are a standard hand saw, a coping saw, and an orbital sander. While I can use the coping saw, I'm nowhere near precise enough to follow the curve by hand without needing to sand at least some wood off afterward. My worry is that I'll go to sand the extra off, and I'll round off the edges instead of keeping them even kinda square. Any tips you guys can give me on how to not gently caress this up would be great.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just refused delivery on a Grizzly bandsaw. Was too big to be useful in my shop and I was going to return it but it showed up with the flimsiest wood packaging I’ve ever seen and looked like it’d been in smashed repeatedly

(there are more pics but it looked like that all over)

Anyone dealt with grizzly like this before? Will getting my money back be more or less like squeezing blood from a stone?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

They're generally great. It's still going to be slow and frustrating but they'll make it right eventually.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

All things considered I think they turned out aight

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

They're generally great. It's still going to be slow and frustrating but they'll make it right eventually.

Ah, that’s reassuring. Makes me think I did the right thing if they’re slow, going the accept -> return route would’ve meant having it stay in the garage taking up space for who knows how long.

It was actually the freight delivery guy that suggested refusing it. Said he was the only one on the route so he’d be the one to get the return and was like “man, moving this thing sucks and is kinda scary. Please don’t make me do it twice”

Fortaleza fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 15, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fortaleza posted:

Ah, that’s reassuring. Makes me think I did the right thing if they’re slow, going the accept -> return route would’ve meant having it stay I. The garage taking up space for who knows how long.

It was actually the freight delivery guy that suggested refusing it. Said he was the only one on the route so he’d be the one to get the return and was like “man, moving this thing sucks and is kinda scary. Please don’t make me do it twice”
Bandsaws on lift gates make me very nervous. Mortisers on lift gates are even scarier :negative:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Walk over to your mortiser:

Oh did the trucking company shove your mortiser off the back of the truck? Don’t worry, it weighs 2200 pounds and is solid cast iron and made in 1950 and it doesn’t even mind.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Knot My President! posted:

All things considered I think they turned out aight

That looks great!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Fortaleza posted:

Ah, that’s reassuring. Makes me think I did the right thing if they’re slow, going the accept -> return route would’ve meant having it stay I. The garage taking up space for who knows how long.

Yeah, you definitely did it the easier way. It's 10x more of a pain if it actually ends up in your hands.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fortaleza posted:

Ah, that’s reassuring. Makes me think I did the right thing if they’re slow, going the accept -> return route would’ve meant having it stay in the garage taking up space for who knows how long.

100% did the right thing refusing that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I made this little drawer out of 1/4" material.

The instructions I'm following said to put a rabbet along the lower edges for the bottom to inset into for more gluing surface. I forgot to do that, so the bottom is glued only along the four sides to the four walls (I still need to add a divider in the middle, which will give one more scarface roughly in the center), though I think I did a decent job of sizing and I did have a good friction fit on top of the glue.

Do you think that's sufficient or should I reinforce the joint somehow? I don't have a Brad nailer and am frankly worried about driving even small nails on something relatively delicate, but I have seen someone in the past drill small holes and glue in some nails, then cut off the heads.

It shouldn't be taking much forces (it's for a pencil box), but I will be giving it to one of my nieces and, well, kids and all.

I also need to add the front face. I was thinking of only using glue, no screws, then whatever hardware I'll have for the eventual pull knob. I think most people screw the fronts on, but I think glue will be enough in this case.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Any idea what model Dewalt planer this is? I have second dibs on it tomorrow for $150 and I just want to make sure it's not a lemon, since it'd be an hour drive:

It sounds like it was this woman's late husband's.

edit: Hmm, maybe it's just a 734 with some other random piece of equipment on top of it. That might explain why I can't figure it out.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 16, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think you have to worry, whoever has first dibs is definitely going to take that for $150

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I don't think you have to worry, whoever has first dibs is definitely going to take that for $150

I mean, yes, unless they don't show up!! People are notoriously flaky near where I live. I can hope

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

Danhenge posted:

Any idea what model Dewalt planer this is? I have second dibs on it tomorrow for $150 and I just want to make sure it's not a lemon, since it'd be an hour drive:

It sounds like it was this woman's late husband's.

edit: Hmm, maybe it's just a 734 with some other random piece of equipment on top of it. That might explain why I can't figure it out.

Yes, that is a 734.

I have mixed feelings on mine, but $150 is in my "gently caress it, why not" range, so glhf.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah its a 734 with its dust hood sitting on top. For $150 get it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I bought a well used 734 for around the same price but it was in much rougher shape than that one. The rubber rollers that pull the wood in were cracking so check for that I guess. It made it so it would skip and leave a big divot in the board if I didn't re-wax the bed after every couple of passes.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
As predicted it sold this morning!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Uthor posted:

I made this little drawer out of 1/4" material.

The instructions I'm following said to put a rabbet along the lower edges for the bottom to inset into for more gluing surface. I forgot to do that, so the bottom is glued only along the four sides to the four walls (I still need to add a divider in the middle, which will give one more scarface roughly in the center), though I think I did a decent job of sizing and I did have a good friction fit on top of the glue.

Do you think that's sufficient or should I reinforce the joint somehow? I don't have a Brad nailer and am frankly worried about driving even small nails on something relatively delicate, but I have seen someone in the past drill small holes and glue in some nails, then cut off the heads.

It shouldn't be taking much forces (it's for a pencil box), but I will be giving it to one of my nieces and, well, kids and all.

I also need to add the front face. I was thinking of only using glue, no screws, then whatever hardware I'll have for the eventual pull knob. I think most people screw the fronts on, but I think glue will be enough in this case.

Considering you're unlikely to put anything too heavy into such a small drawer I think the bottom should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A simple shelf I made to take advantage of some wasted volume in my house.

The wood is hickory. This is the first time I've used it, and I'm pretty impressed; it's not terribly hard to work, can splinter but no more than cherry would, and it smells nice. The high contrast in the grain is a potential issue for some applications, of course, but here I don't think it's a problem.

Design-wise, I'd've been happier if I could make the shelf a little longer so it could span three studs instead of like 2.9, but if I made it any longer, I wouldn't have been able to install it because of the beam you can see in the top-left of the photo. The shelf + triangular bracket slides vertically into dovetail slots in the mounting pieces, and those slots (and the rails on the triangular brackets) are a bit too long to fit with the beam in the way.

(in retrospect I could have made them shorter, oh well)