Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Haifisch posted:

I've started playing the base game Subnautica for the effectively-first time(first time was playing a couple hours of early access on a potato-quality computer, having my game crash, and losing any desire to start from scratch), which is accidentally perfect timing. :v:

My sense of direction is incredibly rear end, which makes Subnautica interesting until you get to the point you can spam beacons everywhere. It also took me too long to realize the default base pieces aren't just hallways and you can actually put stuff in them, resulting in me having about 10 of the waterborne storage chests floating around the lifepod before I got to base building.

I'm jealous. Playing Subnautica for the first time ever is one of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory. RE: Direction, I always liked that you can always use the lifepod and the wreckage of the Aurora to more or less triangulate where you are on the map.

I'm disappointed that the new expansion pack is smaller in scale AND it allegedly doesn't have the Cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I personally hated the Cyclops. It undermines an entire mechanic of the game: base building.

But I suppose that by the time you get it built base building is already pretty tedious.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

But you can just as well build a mobile base within the Cyclops. I never did though - in every game where they encourage you to make satellite bases, I just say the hell with it and build one huge base even if it wasn't near some resource you need. For me the game was foremost about exploration of the unknown and base building only as a necessity to get forward with exploring stuff. It might be also because in every game with building I lack imagination and skill and make square shaped huts whereas all my friends conjure up incredibly grand designs and palaces (see: SCUM, Rimworld, Conan Exiles, The Forest)

However I will admit in BZ I've done surprisingly lot of base building, since you get new kinds of rooms and elements to build with. Spent one session just making essentials like a toilet and a shower. Naturally as a lazy person I built my initial base right next to the lifepod, and since it's so shallow it was a pain to place the moonpool anywhere (a common Subnautica issue) and eventually I built a tower of multipurpose rooms connected with one large room with my personal amenities. It just sucks you can't build the glass roof after you build walls inside the large room.

Lead is always in large demand. I don't know if there are deposits anywhere.

One thing I absolutely love is raising my army of flying sea monkeys from eggs, releasing them outside the base and watch them bring you materials! Best crew ever.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Hobo: Tough Life is a surprisingly good as hell survival game. Look past the title, it is definitely not an asset flip and definitely not some crass joke. It's actually a surprisingly deep RPG survival game. Was surprised by how much I like it. It's also brutally hard.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the top review on steam is just a thumbs up that says "you can sell meth"

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I have been occasionally reading this thread and saw the chat about Vintage Story a bit ago. I was one of the weirdos who enjoyed TFC quite a bit and was disappointed I couldn't find a decent up to date version in Minecraft when I wanted to a couple of months ago.

How is it, in the feature complete sense? I was looking for something to alternate with hardspace shipbreaker for somewhat mindless zen stuff when I'm destressing but I've gotten tired of being burned by EA stuff being empty with months between updates.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

the top review on steam is just a thumbs up that says "you can sell meth"

i think this vid does a good job of showing how the game is more than just the jokes some people make about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vheaj9sdvuQ

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Synnr posted:

I have been occasionally reading this thread and saw the chat about Vintage Story a bit ago. I was one of the weirdos who enjoyed TFC quite a bit and was disappointed I couldn't find a decent up to date version in Minecraft when I wanted to a couple of months ago.

How is it, in the feature complete sense? I was lookingfor something to alternate with hardspace shipbreaker for somewhat mindless zen stuff when I'm destressing but I've gotten tired of being burned by EA stuff being empty with months between updates.

The monstery combat bits suck rear end right now and should just be turned off. Outside that survival and crafting feel fairly complete, I hope they're eventually going to shunt more of it into the voxel-based materials crafting (which is quite slick and feels like you're actually mastering a medium) and out of the way less cool "combine X objects per the recipe in our wiki" system but it feels pretty satisfying rn. Most of the remaining stuff on the roadmap is extremely Dwarf Fortressy world simulation features (e.g. "hare burrowing mechanics") and endgame content like steam power or boss fights

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 17, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Trivia posted:

I personally hated the Cyclops. It undermines an entire mechanic of the game: base building.

But I suppose that by the time you get it built base building is already pretty tedious.

This is incredibly wrong because the cyclops makes base building less tedious thanks to being allowed to have proper storage lockers in in a practical manner (Below Zero's sea truck is... fairly awkward, in trying to get any notable storage or even just moving titanium and quartz in bulk).

It also makes collecting materials for base vanity projects a lot easier because then your prawn suit needed to drill big resource modes only has a little bit of inventory space compared to your natural inventory. So the Cyclops let me ferry around the prawn suit across quartz nodes to make way too many glass hallways and windows and aquariums. (see again; Less convenient version of the same end result in BZ). That said they did add a recycling machine unlock, so bulk titanium transport can become easier.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 17, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly I love the Seatruck. It's much quicker, more maneuverable, more convenient than the Cyclops. I loved the awe of the Cyclops but it was just a chore to pilot anywhere, too slow and bulky, whereas the truck clearly 'cheats' in your favor when maneuvering multi-car setups just to make it easier to get around. My one big complaint is that the storage module does not have nearly enough storage. I expected something like two fullsize lockers and instead we get 5 lockers of incredibly mismatched sizes. Just up the storage a bit and it'd be perfect.

Section Z posted:

That said they did add a recycling machine unlock, so bulk titanium transport can become easier.
Oh my god I never even considered that the recycler means I can condense my titanium storage. :psyduck: I was so happy to have it but then couldn't think of much practical use for it. And there it is.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Section Z posted:

This is incredibly wrong because the cyclops makes base building less tedious thanks to being allowed to have proper storage lockers in in a practical manner (Below Zero's sea truck is... fairly awkward, in trying to get any notable storage or even just moving titanium and quartz in bulk).

It also makes collecting materials for base vanity projects a lot easier because then your prawn suit needed to drill big resource modes only has a little bit of inventory space compared to your natural inventory. So the Cyclops let me ferry around the prawn suit across quartz nodes to make way too many glass hallways and windows and aquariums. (see again; Less convenient version of the same end result in BZ). That said they did add a recycling machine unlock, so bulk titanium transport can become easier.

Why even build a base when the Cyclops is a mobile base unto itself?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I for one quite enjoyed how chonky the Cyclops is. It felt like I was actually piloting a large machine rather than an extension of my avatar. Going through tunnels I needed to constantly check the external cameras and make adjustments, and that felt very physical to me.

Honestly more games should have you graduate towards a fully mobile home base. So much time is needlessly wastes doing the return run otherwise. It would have been nice to be more customisable though.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I enjoyed the Cyclops for the feeling it gave me of "Yeah, look at me now!" and its use as a mobile base, but I think it was balanced enough that it didn't make me feel invincible when I was venturing out to where Leviathans were lurking. If anything, being in a big metal box like that only made me feel more exposed and vulnerable.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I felt more vulnerable up until the point where I realised I could cut the power and couldn't be targeted in it anymore.

Then I ended up just prawn drilling all the leviathan's to death because i couldn't work out a way to get past them without them targeting me.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 17, 2021

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I love the Cyclops so much. It didn't replace my bases at all because I still liked having anchors in different parts of the ocean but the progression of Seaglide -> Seamoth -> (Prawn) -> Cyclops was absolutely my favorite part of the game.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The monstery combat bits suck rear end right now and should just be turned off. Outside that survival and crafting feel fairly complete, I hope they're eventually going to shunt more of it into the voxel-based materials crafting (which is quite slick and feels like you're actually mastering a medium) and out of the way less cool "combine X objects per the recipe in our wiki" system but it feels pretty satisfying rn. Most of the remaining stuff on the roadmap is extremely Dwarf Fortressy world simulation features (e.g. "hare burrowing mechanics") and endgame content like steam power or boss fights

I'd assumed it was just the ol' Minecraft-esque combat flailing about combat, which while bad I can get used to. Did they mix it up? I couldn't really draw much from the videos I watched.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

lordfrikk posted:

I love the Cyclops so much. It didn't replace my bases at all because I still liked having anchors in different parts of the ocean but the progression of Seaglide -> Seamoth -> (Prawn) -> Cyclops was absolutely my favorite part of the game.

yeah this was absolutely my favorite part of the game too. Base building taking a backseat because I have a huge fuckoff Submarine that I can basically live in was a fine tradeoff to me. So far the Sea Truck is neat, I am just now getting parts for the modules so I assume that I'll be able to stick modules onto the back of this thing which is actually pretty awesome if so.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Synnr posted:

I'd assumed it was just the ol' Minecraft-esque combat flailing about combat, which while bad I can get used to. Did they mix it up? I couldn't really draw much from the videos I watched.

I just chuck spears at everything, which is better, but I meant more in the sense that there's two kinds of monsters and they're both extremely boring wastes of time. There's also "stability" and "temporal storm" mechanics, on by default, which do nothing but spawn a shitton of boring monsters on you at semi-random intervals to interrupt whatever you were doing with an aggravating grind. It seems like those are mostly placeholders and they're planning to make them not suck some day, but as it is they're totally unnecessary and detract from what's otherwise an OK game

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This Vintage Story really really looks like a minecraft mod, is it a completely new game? The chatter about it all sounds really intriguing but I've played complicated minecraft survival mods before and this sorta just looks like one of those.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
With some differences, it basically is.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I definitely made 1 main base at the edge of the shallows/kelp forest/uhhhh red grass area (?) and placed different glass observatories so I could just sit and enjoy the view. Then I'd make small satellite bases for charging batteries (until I got ~special~ things) that would be in interesting looking areas.

I absolutely loved the ghost ray tree biome and would sit and watch those things cruise around while repetitively clicking the coffee machine.

I also enjoyed the aquarium and containment unit and populating them with different species.

The game is far better imo if you never use gas torpedoes or the stasis rifle, and if you use prawn suit for driving off leviathans rather than defeating them.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I totally get why they made the Seatruck, but they should have kept maybe a stripped down Seamoth for funsies.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't the basic sea truck basically like the Seamoth?

I found that the map is somewhat smaller this time around I haven't really found a use for the full truck a lot, even though I have made all (?) the modules so far. I haven't even used Prawn suit all that much, honestly, since I haven't found upgrades like jump jet or grappling hook for it (you can spoil if they exist in BZ and I just simply haven't found them yet)

The last I did was visit Arctic spires. and picked up some organs for AL-AN. Icky. That zone can kiss my rear end, though, never going back if I can help it. Confusing to navigate, constant worm attacks ... first time I went walking and got nowhere, so I thought I'll be clever and make the Snow fox, which made it a bit better, but I got constantly thrown off by the worm attacks.

I think I'm still missing one part for AL-AN and I have no idea where the Samantha & Marguerit plot is going. Last I did for them was investigate the snow research station (Phi?) and I dunno where to go from there. No new markers AFAIK. I guess I'll have to look in Crystal caves since AL-AN said he noticed something there and my Seatruck could only go 650 metres, but now I can go deeper for 1000 I'll have to go back down there.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Seatruck is very similar yeah, I've heard complaints that the Cyclops isnt in the game but I have no idea where you would even use it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Below zero: I accidentally finished the game, I guess? I was doing stuff for Al-An not realizing this will fast-forward me to the ending. I hadn't been to the northern research facility, found some additional sister lore and then all of a sudden was at the point of no return (yes he does tell you to finish your business).

It feels kind of funny that you can basically screw your sister and finish the game like this. Robin didn't seem to have any issue doing so, so is this basically a sequence break? All this time I thought the two plot lines would meet at some point, but I'm still completely baffled what to do with Samantha plot.

e: some more story spoilers Okay, I took the map out and headed to Omega lab (and finally found it). From what I gathered, Sam and Marguerit wanted to stop the Kharaa experiments and nuked the lab, but I still feel like I'm missing something, seeing as I can already go and finish the game with Al-An but I haven't found out what actually happened to Sam afterwards, seeing as Marguerit has no new dialogue. Did I actually skip an important line of some PDA or is there something else I'm supposed to do here?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 18, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

TeaJay posted:

re: Below zero: I accidentally finished the game, I guess? I was doing stuff for Al-An not realizing this will fast-forward me to the ending. I hadn't been to the northern research facility, found some additional sister lore and then all of a sudden was at the point of no return (yes he does tell you to finish your business).

It feels kind of funny that you can basically screw your sister and finish the game like this. Robin didn't seem to have any issue doing so, so is this basically a sequence break? All this time I thought the two plot lines would meet at some point, but I'm still completely baffled what to do with Samantha plot.

e: some more story spoilers Okay, I took the map out and headed to Omega lab (and finally found it). From what I gathered, Sam and Marguerit wanted to stop the Kharaa experiments and nuked the lab, but I still feel like I'm missing something, seeing as I can already go and finish the game with Al-An but I haven't found out what actually happened to Sam afterwards, seeing as Marguerit has no new dialogue. Did I actually skip an important line of some PDA or is there something else I'm supposed to do here?

About Sams death So Sam was looking for a way to take out the disease on the frozen leviathan and does so and hides the cure on the front side of the bridge which is findable with a robot pengling.
In the tunnel leading up to the frozen leviathan you find a crushed forklift amidst some tunnel rubble and near there is a last recording of Sam being in a place she shouldn't be and getting caught and accidentally causing her own death by collapsing the tunnel.
Why didnt she just use it? Who knows likely to give you the chance to finish your sisters work and feel satisfaction.

Its not really a very good ending and most surmise that it was just simply not finished because pandemic.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, after my abrupt ending I went back and checked out some stuff I'd missed. Then I got the ending again, read about it a bit... and realized ... I still missed a pretty huge part: I never found the antidote, because I CBA checking those penguin holes! Even the one marked in the map with a huge red circle... whoops!

After administering the antidote I think Sam's questline got some semblance of an ending, even though I agree that it felt like a pretty rushed and shoddy one.

I was kinda hoping that getting this ending would change the real ending somehow since you have the cure for Kharaa and are going to Architect' planet which may or may not be wiped out because of it? So wouldn't having a cure for it be pretty nice? But I don't think they address it at all?

[murmur of understanding]

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 18, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Spy Pengling is an absolute letdown and outside the one use case it seems to exclusively be used to retrieve... quartz? As if that were rare or valuable?
Definitely weird how the ending of this doesn't mention or tie into the ending of the last game or the side plot of this one, even to the point of I'm not sure that character was aware of it and not mentioning it or genuinely didn't know. Seemed important.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Bullfrog posted:

i think this vid does a good job of showing how the game is more than just the jokes some people make about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vheaj9sdvuQ

I've been having fun with this game. They thought a lot of stuff out, like getting arrested on purpose can be a viable tactic so you don't freeze to death and can use a toilet. There are a lot of "ah-hah" moments like that though, and it seems really simple until you discover all of mechanics. Not sure if I recommend it at the current price though.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Any goons still play DayZ? I've never actually played so I bought it from this week's steam sale but I figured this is a game better with some ppl to run around with. Any recommendations for servers?

Not sure if there's a megathread or what but curious to try it. I'm fine with jank, really loved 7DTD but got bored of the repetitive house looting mechanics and was never a fan of blood moon (always played it turned off) so DayZ looks interesting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey did they ever make that Conan Exiles expansion any better for solo players? I remember the chief complaint being that there wasn't enough to do that wasn't PVP but thought they put out a statement doing the whole "we hear you" thing and wondered if they made it not suck before release.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't know why The Long Dark's inevitable decay concept bothers me so much. I will look up on the wiki what materials are non-renewable. I'll read posts about how eventually, you'll use up all the cloth in the gameworld. I'll get worried on discovering moss and mushrooms and rose hips don't regrow (really?). I'll fret about how some things are finite, I'll look up alternate means of repair as things spiral into decay, I'll check the charts of what items can show up in beachcombing and the best methods to retrieve them.
Meanwhile, I've never had a single survival game last more than 30 days, I've never cleared out more than a few maps, let alone scraped the entire map for cloth, and I've never even been to some of the zones. I'm here stressing about poo poo that can usually be overcome, and which you don't even run into until you're over 500 days in despite the fact I will never play a single game that gets that far. And yet, even knowing this, I still can't stop thinking about it.

I like The Long Dark for its comfy indoor aesthetics, for its really satisfying looting and hoarding, for making tough decisions and battling to survive against nature itself rather than say, zombies. But even though I recognize the inevitable decay is a fundamental part of the game, tied to its basic concept, I enjoy it in spite of that, not because of it. If every single material in the game were renewable I wouldn't feel the experience was cheapened, even knowing the only effect it would have on me is a little peace of mind.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I think it's the idea that you can't access basic materials forever that's grating, although they've gotten better about it over the years(beachcombing for certain materials, iirc matches don't decay now, etc). Especially since TLD's crafted-from-renewables alternatives for clothing and weapons are...not particularly well thought out compared to how most other games handle it.

Although thinking about it more, it makes me wonder why they bothered putting the decay in if it's only relevant on super long timescales they didn't really intend people to play in the first place. But TLD's development has been interesting(sandbox mode was intended just to playtest mechanics for story mode and Hinterland was surprised that people wanted to just play it sandbox, it took a long time for them to come around on the idea that players don't give a gently caress about your 'curated' difficulty levels and that allowing custom difficulty options is fine, etc), so it probably made sense at one point and they just never bothered tweaking it more.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The idea that life sustaining resources are finite grates on me as well (seeing as I tend to play games for escapism) and were one of the things that kept me from getting into Project Zomboid back in the day. While it makes sense that more advanced material would decay/be used up and be gone, it's not like society didn't exist before nails.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
They are working on TLD2, so fingers crossed they'll listen to the poll they put out and the steam statistics they like to selectively release and have it be survival mode only.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I grabbed TLD when it was on sale and started off with the story mode, figuring that's the thing to do... but I kinda lost interest fairly early. Maybe I should just give a dive in on survival mode.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HelloSailorSign posted:

The idea that life sustaining resources are finite grates on me as well (seeing as I tend to play games for escapism) and were one of the things that kept me from getting into Project Zomboid back in the day. While it makes sense that more advanced material would decay/be used up and be gone, it's not like society didn't exist before nails.
Yeah, I think it's a combination of things, like how quickly tools degrade (even whetstones, solid steel crowbars, etc), the fact there's no renewable alternative to a lot of things, and so on. Wood is shaken loose at every storm, but even plantlife doesn't regrow! No stone tools, no wooden sewing needles, etc. For as much as you rely on hunting, I'm surprised there's no way to make anything from bone.

Does Zomboid have a more renewable balance now, or is it still as it was when you bounced off it?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

I don't know why The Long Dark's inevitable decay concept bothers me so much. I will look up on the wiki what materials are non-renewable. I'll read posts about how eventually, you'll use up all the cloth in the gameworld. I'll get worried on discovering moss and mushrooms and rose hips don't regrow (really?). I'll fret about how some things are finite, I'll look up alternate means of repair as things spiral into decay, I'll check the charts of what items can show up in beachcombing and the best methods to retrieve them.
Meanwhile, I've never had a single survival game last more than 30 days, I've never cleared out more than a few maps, let alone scraped the entire map for cloth, and I've never even been to some of the zones. I'm here stressing about poo poo that can usually be overcome, and which you don't even run into until you're over 500 days in despite the fact I will never play a single game that gets that far. And yet, even knowing this, I still can't stop thinking about it.

I like The Long Dark for its comfy indoor aesthetics, for its really satisfying looting and hoarding, for making tough decisions and battling to survive against nature itself rather than say, zombies. But even though I recognize the inevitable decay is a fundamental part of the game, tied to its basic concept, I enjoy it in spite of that, not because of it. If every single material in the game were renewable I wouldn't feel the experience was cheapened, even knowing the only effect it would have on me is a little peace of mind.

There just seems to be something in the water when it comes to declaring "The spirit of survival games-" means loathing sustainable resources without a busywork tax or outright impossible after a long enough time span, whether you are a starving hobo in the woods or a space explorer with a pocket replicator.

Even sci-fi survival game #834 where the store pages shows you building helicarriers train convoys with the intent of strip mining whole planets, they will nerf the water tables declaring "Gosh, people were just drilling down to solve thirst! And that goes against the spirit of survival games!"

At least in a game like the long dark, this disconnect is less jarring because declaring your winter hobo will eventually freeze is a little less absurd than declaring players are missing the point of survival games because they are running space predators over with a space truck instead of getting out and shooting them with crafted bullets as survival god intended.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Posting to recommend Going Medieval. A lot of Rimworld mechanics, surviving with your small band of colonizers while you develop medieval period technology. Very early days but the basic gameplay is there. Very pretty as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I wouldn't say VERY early days, it's very solid and polished tbh, but yeah they definitely need to add a lot of stuff to break the routine once you get a decent start.