Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

qhat posted:

What is your mortgage term, and from who?

Refi I did last year with Rocketmortgage (Quicken), also I'm in the US and thought this was the doomsday economics thread. Normally I just read about Canada and laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
You could get a million+ for ten years fixed from Tangerine in Canada for 1.99 for several months, call it Nov 2020 to Feb 2021. Higher again now.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
A friend just got 1.2% with Simplii via a broker (Ontario).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
posting on page 1337

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

posting on page 1337

Lock in those l33t interest rates. Or 1.337% I guess

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Except your link says it’s true but for reasons it doesn’t matter because politics.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Except your link says it’s true but for reasons it doesn’t matter because politics.

Politics is pretending Ontario is on the brink of insolvency when it demonstrably isn't. Repeatedly hammering on a meaningless point like "largest sub-sovereign debt OMG WTF!!!" is just trying to use one weird accounting trick that proves austerity is the only answer. Liberals hate it!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

tagesschau posted:

Politics is pretending Ontario is on the brink of insolvency when it demonstrably isn't. Repeatedly hammering on a meaningless point like "largest sub-sovereign debt OMG WTF!!!" is just trying to use one weird accounting trick that proves austerity is the only answer. Liberals hate it!

The reason people use it is because a) it’s true and b) it’s to draw attention to a massive problem. You seem to like arguing semantics but the bottom line is that Ontario is a fiscal basket case and has a major financial problem to deal with and seems disinterested in responding in a meaningful way.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

You seem to like arguing semantics but the bottom line is that Ontario is a fiscal basket case and has a major financial problem to deal with and seems disinterested in responding in a meaningful way.

Which ratings agencies think this? What sort of premium is Ontario paying on its debt due to its alleged constant near-insolvency?

None and none, you say? Then it looks like this is, as I said before, one weird accounting trick to "prove" something that isn't true.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not saying you’re wrong necessarily, but...

Credit agencies were rating subprime mortgage bonds AAA in 2007

The BoC has specifically been buying up government bonds to keep bond prices high and hence borrowing rates low

So while yes you might be right that this is all in fact fine, there’s a very recent precedent to suggest maybe you shouldn’t rely too much on what the credit agencies and government issuing the bonds is saying.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/1-million-over-asking-house-prices-in-rising-tide-all-over-vancouver-island

Weeeeeeeeeee

No chance of ever affording anything where I live - my family is dirt poor and I won't be inheriting anything / will never get help on the downpayment (unlike literally all my friends my age who managed to buy) so I am poo poo outta luck

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Alctel posted:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/1-million-over-asking-house-prices-in-rising-tide-all-over-vancouver-island

Weeeeeeeeeee

No chance of ever affording anything where I live - my family is dirt poor and I won't be inheriting anything / will never get help on the downpayment (unlike literally all my friends my age who managed to buy) so I am poo poo outta luck

Take the hint. You don't belong here anymore. Real canadian neighborhoods are for foreign investors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

From your own link

quote:

While technically true

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
I think that's about as far as anyone makes it.

Ontario's pretty widely acclaimed as the worst positioned for escalating boomer healthcare / end of life costs too. (Maritimes pretty badly off too due to generations of youth exodus, but not quite so overwhelming since so few people - fed govt "could" trivially bail them out.)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Just like Canada, most of Ontario's debt is owned by the public via bonds (I think it's like 68%). Most of Ontario's debt is also in Canadian dollars. High inflation would, like it does for private debt, reduce the overall cost paying down the debt as time went forward (though obviously interest rates on new debt issuances would rise). But ultimately, while sovereign (or sub-sovereign) debt isn't a nothing burger, it does not function at all like private debts like subprime mortgages.

But if you did want to address it, tax the poo poo out of the rich. Literally just seize their assets and put their heads on pikes. Let's go motherfuckers.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
It's too bad we don't have some huge windfall capital gains that are currently untaxed that we could tax. If only..

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Alctel posted:

Weeeeeeeeeee

quote:

Single-family home prices farther north in Campbell River are up 25 per cent from a year ago to $588,800, and up 24 per cent in the Comox Valley, to $692,300. Direct ferry access from the mainland helped Nanaimo prices rise 23 per cent to $683,000.

The Victoria Real Estate Board reported the average price of a single-family home in the city core in April 2021 was $996,500, a 2.9 per cent increase from March, and a 12.6 per cent gain from April 2020.

Both the Victoria and the Vancouver Island real estate boards say the only permanent solution to the shortage of supply is an increase in housing stock, but acknowledge that that would take time. So for now, urban escapees can but keep up the search.

Should be easy enough to add more housing through much the the island (even of the awful sprawling variety), though lol nope not gonna be able to really happen that much for Tofino and Ucluelet. With those cities hemmed in by the ocean and federal park, the only housing they'll be able to add is multi units and even then there's not that much room. The area is gonna have all the challenges Whistler has developed in becoming near exclusively for the ultra wealthy.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Nova Scotia's real estate market continues its skyward ascent
Sales during the month of April hit highest number the province has ever recorded

Continuing the province’s incredible real estate trajectory, Nova Scotia’s home sales recorded their highest-ever gains last month. The number of sales rose 159.5 per cent in April 2021 from April 2020, and with a sellers’ market, prices rose 39.5 per cent to an average $372,534.

Though April of last year saw a substantial dip in sales as people were just beginning to grapple with the onset of the pandemic, longer-timeline statistics nonetheless indicate a considerable increase. The number of homes sold last month — 1,731 — hit a level 57.2 per cent over the five-year average and 73.4 per cent above the 10-year average. Of the mix of housing types, single detached homes sold more than others.

Wanting to cash in on the newfound interest from buyers outside the province and those in the province looking for larger homes, the number of Nova Scotia homeowners who listed their houses this April was 174.8 per cent higher than those in the albeit-low month in 2020, producing more new listings for the month than in any April in the past five years.

However, because so many homes were snapped up over the previous 15 months, the number of active listings — those without accepted offers — continued their decline, dropping 34.4 per cent last month from April 2020, posting a three-decade low. The province has seen a housing shortage for two years, and new construction isn’t adding new homes quickly enough.

Another metric for analyzing the boom is the industry-standard “months of inventory,” which represents the number of months it would take to sell the current number of listings at the current rate of sales activity. This April, it stood at 1.6 months; the long-term average for April is about 8.4 months.

The Nova Scotia Association of Realtors released a regional snapshot of price gains for the province for April 2021 over the same month the year before:

Halifax and area, up 38.9 per cent
South Shore, up 63.4 per cent
Yarmouth, up 79 per cent
Annapolis Valley, up 48.6 per cent
Northern, up 44.4 per cent
Highland, up 42 per cent
Cape Breton, up 66.8 per cent

When will the provincial government step in to do something about these foreign Toronto buyers???

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

redbrouw posted:

They probably have cameras in the laundry room.

I used to do my laundry at lux too.

Oh yeah, they have 3 of them in my apartment's laundry room, which is only big enough to fit 6 machines. Also the ceilings are a stupefying 20 feet. Even the boiler room aint coming close to that.

Who knows why that could be :rolleyes:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I heard an ad this morning for buying mortgage securities as an investment...we are so hosed

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Maybe the reason we have a housing crisis is because we have a bunch of dorks with a Masters of Urban Planning that need to stop everything to weigh in on balcony handrails and then the master arborist needs have their moment in the sun to flex their Landscape Architecture degree.

quote:

Vancouver’s affordable housing announcements remain unfulfilled years later

It looked as though Vancouver was about to see a surge of lower-cost housing that would make a dent in its shortage a few years ago. Thousands of units were announced by either the city or various non-profit groups in a new burst of activity starting in 2016.

In the four years from 2016 to 2019, the city approved rezonings or development permits for 4,976 social or supported-housing units. That is all projects that have either a mix of subsidized and non-subsidized units, typical of contemporary social housing, or units that are dedicated exclusively to low-income residents and that come with staffing to provide mental-health, daily-living, disability, addiction-management or other needed assistance.

Almost 1,100 more homes in nine projects were also waiting for approval at that time, some of them after two or three years of effort.

But an examination by The Globe and Mail of all the known project proposals, approvals and completions from 2017 on shows that about 4,000 of the approved and in-pipeline apartments – enough to house several hundred of Vancouver’s homeless along with many others in low-wage jobs struggling to find affordable places to live – have not materialized yet.

According to the latest Vancouver housing report issued earlier this month, 1,932 of the approved units have been built in the past three years. But 660 of those were the temporary modular housing apartments constructed in a big push in 2017 and 2018. That means only about 300 regular, permanent housing units have been built on average a year.

This slow grind has taken place in years where Vancouver politicians and senior bureaucrats have publicly proclaimed that creating lower-cost housing is a priority.

Even after the city created an agency specifically intended to speed up projects, the slow progress at city hall in getting a social-housing project through the rezoning and permitting processes has left non-profit developers frustrated and housing promises unfulfilled.

The data also represent a red flag for the city going forward: The province has poured money into programs to finance or fund lower-cost housing, but with the promise, in the most recent budget, that the housing would arrive “within three to five years.”

City housing reports routinely cite the numbers of project approvals as a sign of progress.

The 2019 report noted that in 2018, “the City of Vancouver approved an annual total of 1,938 social and supportive homes. Since 2009, this was the single highest year of non-market housing approvals on record.” It added: “These approvals have contributed to 30 per cent of the City’s 10-year social and supportive housing target and surpassed the annualized target by 62 per cent.”

This month, the city issued its latest housing report, trumpeting the fact that it had approved the highest number of homes ever, at 7,899 units, with 1,326 social and supportive-housing apartments among that.

The problem is that the approvals don’t necessarily translate into buildings, as the record of the city-created Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency demonstrates.

Out of all of the delayed housing, the most notable missing chunk is among the 2,500 units that were supposed to be built and occupied by this year through VAHA. That agency, operating inside city hall, was established specifically to drive an aggressive and streamlined approach to getting lower-cost housing built by steering it rapidly through approvals and permitting.

Of those 2,500 promised apartments from VAHA – a goal that has since increased to almost 3,100 – only 840 have been built. (Those included the 660 temporary modular housing units.) The rest of VAHA’s commitments have either yet to get their permits or haven’t received the appropriate rezoning. Only 630 are under construction.

Luke Harrison, the former head of the Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency, now the CEO of one of the province’s two non-profit development companies, said the social-housing pipeline at city hall – especially the VAHA part – doesn’t appear to be working the way councillors and planners originally envisioned it.

“When we set 2021 as a target date [for VAHA units], that was said because it was a very realistic goal. But I do gather that it’s taking years and years to get anything approved.”

Under Mr. Harrison’s watch, VAHA got the hundreds of temporary modular housing apartments built in less than two years at the beginning of the agency’s life. He said in an interview that quick production happened in those years because there was a crystal-clear focus on the end goal: getting the housing built as quickly as possible – an approach that any city has to have to ensure things don’t get bogged down.

There needs to be an attitude, Mr. Harrison said, that the city is serving a customer who should be guaranteed service by a fixed date.

“The goal should be on how you improve throughput,” he said.

Among the 2,500-home target set by VAHA early on, one set of projects stands out: the 1,000 units on seven sites announced in May, 2018. The homes – the first effort by VAHA to quickly bring on some permanent apartments, not just temporary ones – were to be built by 2021 by the Community Land Trust, a non-profit.

Of those seven sites, only one had a building completed by this spring
, when The Globe requested data. One is still in the “pre-development phase,” two are in the “pre-rezoning application” phase, one has had its rezoning application submitted, and two are awaiting permitting, according to the city.

Two key projects – one on West Pender and one on Seymour – are now due to be ready for occupancy only by 2023 or 2024, respectively.

That same pattern is echoed in non-profit proposals that are not part of the city housing agency’s initiative.

Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart expressed concern earlier this year about how many private development projects that include rental housing have become mired in the city’s planning department after hearing from many for-profit developers. But the problem with non-profit housing projects wasn’t highlighted.

Thom Armstrong, CEO of the Community Land Trust, is generally positive about the city’s efforts, but said he’s glad Mr. Stewart has been shining a light on the slowdown. Things have “ground to a halt” in some areas, he said. But he also noted “development is a very dynamic process” and that his team is “very optimistic.”

Like Mr. Armstrong, others who work in the non-profit housing sector are reluctant to be openly critical about Vancouver’s efforts. Some say the core Vancouver city team working on social housing is doing its best. In spite of the many barriers, Vancouver still ends up seeing more subsidized housing and market-rental housing built than any other city in the region.

But many non-profit housing groups, architects, consultants and advocates are at maximum frustration about what feels like a system where concerns about shadows, trees, and design details or rigid adherence to zoning rules have outweighed the need to get lower-cost housing built as quickly as possible. Even after projects have council approval, there can still be a year before permits are issued. And even when all that is settled, sometimes housing projects get held up or miss deadlines with other agencies because of delays with final legal agreements.

All of that is having a direct impact on homelessness and housing shortages in the city.

“[The city says] they have a housing crisis. [These units] should have been built by now,” said Janice Abbott, the CEO of Atira Women’s Resource Society, which is involved in three projects under development.

The city’s official response, relayed by e-mail through the communications department, is that delays have been unavoidable.

“The combination of rapid construction-cost escalation and disproportionally lower increases in Vancouver incomes in recent years has made it challenging to deliver the right supply of social housing that is affordable to residents in Vancouver,” it said.

“For some projects, this has required more creative design and programming changes as well as more engagement with senior government funding partners to get out of the ground.”

That means the kind of definitive dates Mr. Harrison said needed to be a fixed goal are still far away for many of the 3,000-plus still-unbuilt units in Vancouver.

A few will never get there.

Some groups proposing them gave up because the financials were unworkable with particular city-zoning rules or the lack of interest by BC Housing in funding smaller projects.

Some proposals stalled after despairing architects, consultants or non-profit staff have said they’ve gotten tangled in negotiations with city planners who don’t like the balcony rails or the size of the rooms or how recreation space in the building is allocated.

Some projects won’t arrive for up to a decade, because they’re part of private developments that will take that long or more to build out or because the high-end condo projects to pay for them have been put on pause.

In that category, five projects that combined high-end condos with a total of almost 200 social-housing apartments – four in the West End and one in Kerrisdale – are on indefinite hold because of the softening luxury market.

More than 2,000 others are part of long-term mega-projects – Oakridge Centre, the Pearson-Dogwood lands being developed by Onni, the Plaza of Nations – that won’t be fully built out for years. There are a few apartments in that category moving ahead – 187 at Oakridge Centre, another 58 at the much-delayed Little Mountain/Holborn Group development.

Echoing what private developers have been saying in the past couple of years, those involved in social housing say it’s particularly hard having a system where more than a dozen departments all get to weigh in on their individual priorities, with no one city leader able to get things moving.

Wow turns out an elaborate system to only build subsidized housing when its part of a broader hyper luxury housing project is brittle as gently caress?

Turns out for-profit developers will stop building housing as soon as they can't make a profit??

Too bad we can't simply raise the taxes to fund directly building subsidized housing huh?

Also, boy I wonder why these luxury condos suddenly became completely unviable????? It's almost as if that housing product was specifically designed for a market that has gone away for some reason. But yeah the foreign buyer tax definitely "didn't work."

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 16, 2021

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Ontarians buying property in Yarmouth NS unseen are in for a shock

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Femtosecond posted:

Maybe the reason we have a housing crisis is because we have a bunch of dorks with a Masters of Urban Planning that need to stop everything to weigh in on balcony handrails and then the master arborist needs have their moment in the sun to flex their Landscape Architecture degree.

unironically agreed

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
I keep saying people underestimate the tech money's role in this market segment, here's another almost certain example of Canadians who worked for Amazon (or less likely Microsoft) and came home for family support after kids.

https://twitter.com/SE01161854/status/1392627414077829122?s=19

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/vancouver/article-vancouver-homes-record-4-million-sale-raises-eyebrows/ posted:

Realtor Danny Nikas thought that they might be pushing it, listing an east side property on a 33-foot-lot for almost $3.6-million. But the seller, who’s experienced in real estate, insisted on the price. They ended up setting a Vancouver record.

The seller had purchased an old house at 332 E. 23rd Ave., on the east side of Main, and in 2020, built a new 2,900 square-foot home with laneway house. Although it’s only a standard 33- by-122-foot-lot without much in the way of yard space or landscaping, and some mountain views, the seller knew that there was a market for it.

The seller insisted that they wait two weeks to look at offers. After two weeks on the market, the property sold Monday night for $4-million – the highest price paid for a house on a 33-foot-lot on Vancouver’s east side, says Mr. Nikas.

The sale sets a record as the highest sale price of a 33-foot property on the east side.

They received three offers, all over the asking price of $3.588-million. One offer was slightly higher than $4-million.

“I had so many calls the next two days from realtors, calling and saying, ‘I heard a rumour, is this true? Four million dollars?’ One realtor said, ‘that’s a record that will never get broken.’ It will get broken – eventually.”

All the offers came from millennial age buyers with young kids. All offers were subject free and were made with a bank draft deposit. The winning offer came from Canadians who’d been working in Seattle and sold a house there, and that gave them the edge, says Mr. Nikas. Mr. Nikas felt that the couple with the American money would be less risky.

Buying, notably, from a small-time "lived in the property" builder who owned for almost exactly three years (closing dates different from below but assuredly 3y plus a day or so) and would traditionally be going for the capital gains exemption.

2021-May-10 Sold $4,000,000
2018-May-14 Sold $1,700,000

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 16, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

The reason people use it is because a) it’s true and b) it’s to draw attention to a massive problem. You seem to like arguing semantics but the bottom line is that Ontario is a fiscal basket case and has a major financial problem to deal with and seems disinterested in responding in a meaningful way.

The "major problem" is that provinces take on the burden of things like healthcare that should be on the federal government's dime. Make the federal government pay for it and transfer the debt to them and it's not true anymore. It's an idiotic polemic used to argue for austerity.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Femtosecond posted:

Politicians and the public as well. In Toronto, it's not at all hidden that the process to build something has intentional roadblocks to be able to modify the proposals and extract concessions from developers.

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

Purgatory Glory posted:

Take the hint. You don't belong here anymore. Real canadian neighborhoods are for foreign investors.

I mean I know that is kind of a joke but I moved off Vancouver Island because I started to recognize that I was never going to be able to afford a home or have a decent quality of life there.

Even when I was coming out of high school in the Comox Valley there was something like a 1% vacancy rate for rentals in the area. Housing in Canada, particularly BC, and especially Vancouver Island has been unsustainable for a long time, even before we had the speculation fuelled crisis that we're seeing now.

Lol on me though, I moved from Nanaimo to Kamloops and it's not really so different in terms of unaffordability. The city overall is a lot nicer than Nanaimo, and I don't hate living here at least. :gbsmith:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

mila kunis posted:

The "major problem" is that provinces take on the burden of things like healthcare that should be on the federal government's dime. Make the federal government pay for it and transfer the debt to them and it's not true anymore. It's an idiotic polemic used to argue for austerity.

The provinces haven’t ‘taken on’ healthcare. It’s their responsibility per the constitution act and always has been. It was after the fact the provinces independently got into the act of funding a public healthcare system starting in SK and followed by the Hall Commission who said the concept was worthwhile. The feds got into it in the 1960s but it was purely a fiscal transfer exercise, more recently conditioned on principles of the Canada Health Act, and has remained so ever since.

There is no ‘making’ the federal government take on more than they want to. They have no obligation and cannot be ‘made’ to do anything. To suggest that the Feds will somehow willingly accept all accrued provincial debt and all future liabilities after being ‘made’ to do so, and therefore current provincial debt doesn’t matter, is crazy talk.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Descend to slumber posted:

I mean I know that is kind of a joke but I moved off Vancouver Island because I started to recognize that I was never going to be able to afford a home or have a decent quality of life there.

Even when I was coming out of high school in the Comox Valley there was something like a 1% vacancy rate for rentals in the area. Housing in Canada, particularly BC, and especially Vancouver Island has been unsustainable for a long time, even before we had the speculation fuelled crisis that we're seeing now.

Lol on me though, I moved from Nanaimo to Kamloops and it's not really so different in terms of unaffordability. The city overall is a lot nicer than Nanaimo, and I don't hate living here at least. :gbsmith:

That's loving wild to me because coming from Metro Vancouver Courtney/Comox wasn't really on my radar as having a housing problem?

The remarkable change from peak Vancouver bubble in 2015 and now is that seemingly Canadawide there is a housing crisis. Clearly there's something wrong beyond the local issues specific to Metro Vancouver.

Why do you figure vacancy in Comox is so low?

I've driven through once. I was under the impression it was kind of a sleepy retirement place for British Columbians and Albertans. I can't really think of why vacancy would be low there other than retiree nimbyism. Doesn't seem like a hot place with lots of Airbnbs like Tofino.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

That's loving wild to me because coming from Metro Vancouver Courtney/Comox wasn't really on my radar as having a housing problem?

The remarkable change from peak Vancouver bubble in 2015 and now is that seemingly Canadawide there is a housing crisis. Clearly there's something wrong beyond the local issues specific to Metro Vancouver.

Why do you figure vacancy in Comox is so low?

I've driven through once. I was under the impression it was kind of a sleepy retirement place for British Columbians and Albertans. I can't really think of why vacancy would be low there other than retiree nimbyism. Doesn't seem like a hot place with lots of Airbnbs like Tofino.

A ton of Vancouver retirees have landed there. Place is now the oldest part of Canada, if you can believe it. Prices became disconnected from local incomes just as they have from Vancouver, the causes (retirees with housing wealth and/or pensions earned working elsewhere) are a little different, I think.

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

A ton of Vancouver retirees have landed there. Place is now the oldest part of Canada, if you can believe it. Prices became disconnected from local incomes just as they have from Vancouver, the causes (retirees with housing wealth and/or pensions earned working elsewhere) are a little different, I think.

The air force base serves as a powerful means to advertise the valley to future pensioned retirees, as well.

Apparently in recent years past there were so many developments in Cumberland that they started to overload the village sanitary systems and had to be put on hold for a while as it was upgraded.

There have been large numbers of subdivisions and housing developments constructed in the valley over the years but they only keep up with demand for people that want to buy full detached houses. No one is building rental apartments or townhouses there, and it's been like that pretty much for years.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sassafras posted:

I keep saying people underestimate the tech money's role in this market segment, here's another almost certain example of Canadians who worked for Amazon (or less likely Microsoft) and came home for family support after kids.

https://twitter.com/SE01161854/status/1392627414077829122?s=19

2021-May-10 Sold $4,000,000
2018-May-14 Sold $1,700,000

That's insane. 2.3 million in 3 years just for owning a house.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Alctel posted:

That's insane. 2.3 million in 3 years just for owning a house.

They demolished and rebuilt house+laneway, would have cost a good million or so. Not that anyone's going to spit at 1.3m in 3 years!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

The provinces haven’t ‘taken on’ healthcare. It’s their responsibility per the constitution act and always has been. It was after the fact the provinces independently got into the act of funding a public healthcare system starting in SK and followed by the Hall Commission who said the concept was worthwhile. The feds got into it in the 1960s but it was purely a fiscal transfer exercise, more recently conditioned on principles of the Canada Health Act, and has remained so ever since.

There is no ‘making’ the federal government take on more than they want to. They have no obligation and cannot be ‘made’ to do anything. To suggest that the Feds will somehow willingly accept all accrued provincial debt and all future liabilities after being ‘made’ to do so, and therefore current provincial debt doesn’t matter, is crazy talk.

Way to completely miss the loving point. It doesn't matter whether the responsibility was foisted on them, or whether they willingly took it on, or whether the feds can or will or won't take it on for themselves, the point is that the reason the Ontario deficit is so large is that the provincial governments take up the responsibility of certain services that are typically covered by federal governments in most of the rest of the world. It is not a justification for austerity, but in fact the opposite.

That's the point behind the "while technically true" post that was glibly dismissed upthread:

quote:

The reality is that provinces in Canada have a lot of spending responsibilities that are normally borne by the federal government in other countries. Health care is a great example of one of these differences, in Canada each province has it's own health care insurer (OHIP in Ontario), while in America there is only one Medicare and one Medicaid. This means that any debts associated with running a universal healthcare system and keeping it solvent year-to-year or keeping it functioning through a recession will be borne by the provincial governments in Canada, but by the federal government in America. Education is another big burden handled by the provinces in Canada but largely by the federal government in America, and there are many more.

We can easily spot these differences by looking at the budgets of US states vs the budgets of Canadian provinces. Here are some of the budgets as compared to population of the four largest American states by population:

California's 2018-2019 budget spends $138 billion USD ($182 billion CAD), and California has a population of 39.5 million people. That's a spending of $4,608/person (in CAD).

Texas' 2018-2019 budget spends $217 billion USD ($287 billion CAD), and Texas has a population of 28.3 million people. That's a spending of $10,141/person (in CAD).

Florida's 2017-2018 budget spends $89 billion USD ($118 billion CAD), and Florida has a population of 21 million people. That's a spending of $5,619/person (in CAD).

New York's 2018-2019 budget spends $98 billion USD ($130 billion CAD), and New York has a population of 19.8 million people. That's a spending of $6,566/person (in CAD).

America's 2018-2019 federal budget spends $4.1 trillion USD ($5.4 trillion CAD), and America has a population of 325.7 million people. That's a spending of $16,580/person (in CAD).

Now let's look at Canada's four largest provinces by population:

Ontario's 2018-2019 budget planned to spend $159 billion, and Ontario has a population of 13.6 million people. That's a spending of $11,691/person.

Quebec's 2018-2019 budget spends $109 billion, and Quebec has a population of 8.2 million people. That's a spending of $13,293/person.

British Columbia's 2018-2019 budget spends $54 billion, and British Columbia has a population of 4.6 million people. That's a spending of $11,739/person.

Alberta's 2018-2019 budget spends $56 billion, and Alberta has a population of 4.1 million people. That's a spending of $13,659/person.

Canada's 2018-2019 federal budget spends $339 billion, and Canada has a population of 36.3 million people. That's a spending of $9,339/person.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
everything is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeNqZOSbF0I

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I thought that video was a joke at first but it very much seems sincere

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
New Maclean's cover story is about how hosed everything is in Canadian real estate. The anecdotes are depressing as hell though in my case made worse by my own failure to get back into the housing market.
https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/canadian-real-estate-market-housing-2021/

Edit: Archived copy, just in case: https://archive.is/eElQ1

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Cons will solve this issue with one quick fix.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
At this point the can has been kicked so many times I no longer believe there's a way to fix this without turbo-loving our economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

Yeah the quote that even if housing prices fell by half they would still be higher than prepandemic in some areas is staggering.

Exponential growth is a helluva thing.