Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kennel posted:

This is why Nintendo stays winning. They're the only company able to make people to forget how relentlessly uncomfortably horny games they make.

I'm sure if we all keep putting our heads together we'll manage to figure out which company puts out games that aren't embarrassing for this mysterious secondary party to walk in on you playing that everyone worries about.

Aside from Tetris I guess. That one's pretty safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure if we all keep putting our heads together we'll manage to figure out which company puts out games that aren't embarrassing for this mysterious secondary party to walk in on you playing that everyone worries about.

Aside from Tetris I guess. That one's pretty safe.

They walk in right as you slowly slot the line piece.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kennel posted:

This is why Nintendo stays winning. They're the only company able to make people to forget how relentlessly uncomfortably horny games they make.

This is more accurate.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I swear, some of you talk like these games are on a Duke Nukem Forever level

Other M is, mind you..

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DNF, Other M, Third Birthday, the cursed trio.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah. I like parts of kojima and mgs3 but yeah his stuff is kinda gross to say the least. Some of it I can at least see where he is coming from. But lol. Out of all the weird horny dudes. I like yoko taro the best because his stuff is horny as gently caress but that’s like a main theme of his and he is at least honest about the horny poo poo. Plus his lady characters tend to be really cool and poo poo. https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1393435595742064643 https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1393351399149289479 Have some Filbert Shepard.

Yoko taro liked kaine so much he made her three times and I think I have to agree

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

Fuuuuck I forgot Third Birthday holy poo poo that one was insanely bad.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Third Birthday wasn't even supposed to be a PE game if I remember right, they basically got a game in progress and just dumped it onto poor Aya.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Bottle ship

I dunno, I guess my reaction to a lot of this is an amused cringe more than anything. Hell, even DNF. Something like that I can't help but just be flabbergasted at its existence and I have to laugh at it because it's just...what the gently caress happened there? Someone actually thought up and designed the slappable alien tits on a wall.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yardbomb posted:

Third Birthday wasn't even supposed to be a PE game if I remember right, they basically got a game in progress and just dumped it onto poor Aya.

What I heard is that hey had lost the licence to the original novel but wanted to keep using Aya Brea.

And then they gave the game to Toriyama.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

How is the second one? I never hear about that one compared to its classic predecessor or its... the other one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

How is the second one? I never hear about that one compared to its classic predecessor or its... the other one.

PE2 is pretty cool imo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Acerbatus posted:

Yoko taro liked kaine so much he made her three times and I think I have to agree

yeah. i need to play replicant. i will probably pick that and village up at somepoint. but ME trilogy first. gently caress i missed those games.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fuuuuck I forgot Third Birthday holy poo poo that one was insanely bad.

so why is third birthday so bad? i am not defending it. i have never played it or any of the other PE games.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So why is third birthday so bad?

It's another massive character assassination of a cool rear end kicker lady character is the main summary. Aya was a cool tough lady, then Third Birthday makes her this whimpering waifish mess and when you get damaged your clothes start disintegrating, so it wasn't bad enough with the first part, had to make her this gross uwu noooo monsters don't explode my clothes off spankbait target as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so why is third birthday so bad? i am not defending it. i have never played it or any of the other PE games.

Well, this is the internet videos thread so here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtQuslTG9yg

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I came across a wonderful youtube channel with some pretty neat video essays. Most of them are between 5-10 minutes so they're easily digestible too, and ranging from a variety of films.
The two of them that brought them on my radar where, of course, Snyder specific.

This one talks about how Zack uses the visuals of a scene to say something about the motivations and character arc of Bruce in BvS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-niOOMzYSs

and for Man of Steel, they chose to talk about what makes a well shot scene...well shot. Like it goes into specifics of how Zack uses blocking, zoom, blurs and angles for a scene to make you relate to the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

They're about 8 minutes each, and well worth watching imo,. and there's tons of other essays in the channel I'm working through.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just to give an hint of how bad 3rd Birthday is: NO ONE defend sit. Other M has more fans than 3rd Birthday.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I want a metroid prequel game about samus and her bird family no more space federation rubish just pirates and bird aliens please.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yardbomb posted:

Straight up, Samus should've always stayed in the armor, zero suit is lame.
nah, samus being able to come out of the armor and do stuff is cool, being in a reasonable inner suit is also cool, but not some skintight catsuit that's meticulously crafted around each buttcheek with high heels though

Mr Phillby posted:

I want a metroid prequel game about samus and her bird family no more space federation rubish just pirates and bird aliens please.
I want a game of her on the run from the galactic federation for destroying the secret research base and the X parasites in fusion.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

nah, samus being able to come out of the armor and do stuff is cool, being in a reasonable inner suit is also cool, but not some skintight catsuit that's meticulously crafted around each buttcheek with high heels though

I want a game of her on the run from the galactic federation for destroying the secret research base and the X parasites in fusion.

Also her having thst weird relationship with a dude that's not even technically her boss?

Like what was that all about

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought the Gun Heels were from Smash Ultimate?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Smash 3DS/WiiU actually.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
horny games are good sorry

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

McCloud posted:

I came across a wonderful youtube channel with some pretty neat video essays. Most of them are between 5-10 minutes so they're easily digestible too, and ranging from a variety of films.
The two of them that brought them on my radar where, of course, Snyder specific.

This one talks about how Zack uses the visuals of a scene to say something about the motivations and character arc of Bruce in BvS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-niOOMzYSs

and for Man of Steel, they chose to talk about what makes a well shot scene...well shot. Like it goes into specifics of how Zack uses blocking, zoom, blurs and angles for a scene to make you relate to the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

They're about 8 minutes each, and well worth watching imo,. and there's tons of other essays in the channel I'm working through.

Hey these are good! Thanks for posting em. Reminds me I need to finish watching the Snydercut and then after rewatch Man of Steel 10 more times :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arcsquad12 posted:

oh okay, I couldn't remember if they were from smash or from zero mission. they suck regardless

it's funny how the fusion epilogue outfit is far less horny than the zero suit despite being much less substantial

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The zero suit is whatever, it's just boring that it became the Samus Standard forever after, to the point that Retro had to slap together an insanely ugly ZSS model for Prime 2 last minute.

e: Other M gave the Zero Suit heels (the original design sheet from Zero Mission even specifically says that it *shouldn't* have huge heels). Smash followed that design update but turned them into jet-heels.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Motto posted:

e: Other M gave the Zero Suit heels

I'm the least surprised I could possibly be that they came from Other M.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just to give an hint of how bad 3rd Birthday is: NO ONE defend sit. Other M has more fans than 3rd Birthday.

3rd Birthday did give us one great thing though. Over on Woolievs, cohost Minh convinced Woolie to play through 3rd birthday by insisting that it was one of his favorite games.

At the end of the game, after watching all the horrible writing unfold, Minh told everyone that he hated 3rd birthday more than any other game and had tricked Woolie into playing so that he, and the audience, could know his suffering.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Paladin posted:

3rd Birthday did give us one great thing though. Over on Woolievs, cohost Minh convinced Woolie to play through 3rd birthday by insisting that it was one of his favorite games.

At the end of the game, after watching all the horrible writing unfold, Minh told everyone that he hated 3rd birthday more than any other game and had tricked Woolie into playing so that he, and the audience, could know his suffering.

This is the tactic I used to get one of my friends to play Quest 64. He did not appreciate it.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Yardbomb posted:

Straight up, Samus should've always stayed in the armor, zero suit is lame.

Zero suit is a cool concept for Smash, and that's where it's use should end.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Curio, a leftist media critic, takes a deep dive into the many flaws, from the surface-level to the foundational, of Cyberpunk 2077:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_SzMP-V4mA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

It's another massive character assassination of a cool rear end kicker lady character is the main summary. Aya was a cool tough lady, then Third Birthday makes her this whimpering waifish mess and when you get damaged your clothes start disintegrating, so it wasn't bad enough with the first part, had to make her this gross uwu noooo monsters don't explode my clothes off spankbait target as well.

Don't forget making the returning character from the first game a blatant pedophile! :barf:

There's also much, much worse to discuss about it but it gets spoilery. If you really are in a mood to hurt yourself out of sick curiosity, Dark Id subjected himself to it in the Let's Play Archive.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Bring back 6,3 and 200 pound Samus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Feliday Melody posted:

Bring back 6,3 and 200 pound Samus.

and a power suit that looks like a walking tank rather than master chief

the sound effect that first comes to mind when looking at the other m varia suit is "pew pew pew" which is not befitting the power suit arm cannon tbh

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Kim Justice posted:

Hell, even DNF. Something like that I can't help but just be flabbergasted at its existence and I have to laugh at it because it's just...what the gently caress happened there? Someone actually thought up and designed the slappable alien tits on a wall.

Nearly everything about DNF makes a lot more sense when you realize the project lead kept chucking everything they had into a garbage bin because this was his dream game and he wanted his dream game to have the absolute ultimate best graphics in the industry and I guess he was too busy with that to notice what happened with Daikatana.

IIRC what lead to DNF finally coming out was said lead dev pissing off his parent company one too many times which lead to them pulling the plug on the whole thing and standing by while Gearbox scooped up whatever was left.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yardbomb posted:

Oh but you forget, you aren't actually playing Aya, you are playing her 13 year old sister, and it's only after you learn that twist that you start unlocking the sexy clothing.

The reason Nintendo is winning is because their fans are ok with whatever they do. No one else gets away with releasing two almost identical games, like Pokémon. Capcom tried with MMBN and that got complaints, everyone else just puts multiple paths in the same game.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Nearly everything about DNF makes a lot more sense when you realize the project lead kept chucking everything they had into a garbage bin because this was his dream game and he wanted his dream game to have the absolute ultimate best graphics in the industry and I guess he was too busy with that to notice what happened with Daikatana.

IIRC what lead to DNF finally coming out was said lead dev pissing off his parent company one too many times which lead to them pulling the plug on the whole thing and standing by while Gearbox scooped up whatever was left.

A goon LP pointed out something that makes it even more fascinating- the fact that each level has SOMETHING in it that lines up with a specific year in recent history, meaning you can actually pinpoint exactly when they were working on each section based on what gimmicks or themes are present. Including somehow explicitly ripping off Half Life 1 and 2 gameplay at different points. It would be an interesting look into how games evolved during it's 10+ years of development... if it wasn't utter trash in every way.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The one actually cool thing that came from DNF was them honoring that one dude's original date pre-order from way, way, way back when who still had his receipt, then I think also sending him some neat extra Duke Nukem bits and bobs.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

Bottle ship

I dunno, I guess my reaction to a lot of this is an amused cringe more than anything. Hell, even DNF. Something like that I can't help but just be flabbergasted at its existence and I have to laugh at it because it's just...what the gently caress happened there? Someone actually thought up and designed the slappable alien tits on a wall.

DNF was George Broussard being obsessed with staying ahead of the curve and not having anyone stop him, so every time some new FPS innovation would come out he'd try to shove it into DNF. Which is why you can play a drinking game with this stuff:

Paingod556 posted:

A goon LP pointed out something that makes it even more fascinating- the fact that each level has SOMETHING in it that lines up with a specific year in recent history, meaning you can actually pinpoint exactly when they were working on each section based on what gimmicks or themes are present. Including somehow explicitly ripping off Half Life 1 and 2 gameplay at different points. It would be an interesting look into how games evolved during it's 10+ years of development... if it wasn't utter trash in every way.

I do legit hope that somebody leaks the 2001 build of DNF eventually, cause from the already leaked gameplay footage it seems like a more interesting version of DNF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

McCloud posted:

Also her having thst weird relationship with a dude that's not even technically her boss?

Like what was that all about

The Adam/Samus relationship is literally just a genderbent version of Master Chief and Cortana. Like, I wonder if that was on purpose.

The funny thing is that Other M showed Adam the Guy and made him so hated nobody wants to see Adam the AI ever again :v: