Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Most snakes are more about the threat of biting, than actual biting. Snakes like the rattlesnake and cobra have taken that to the next step where they have an actual threat display to warn you off. The last thing they really want to do is bite you, they just want to scare you off with their rattle or their hood spread out.

Saying that, I'm sure they probably get all these guys well fed first, before the guy goes to do cleaning. Get them even less inclined to bite with a full belly.

I went on a nature safari in Zambia many years ago and our guide had a story about how he accidentally antagonized the gently caress out of a black mamba in the dark (like stepped in it a few times) but it never actually bit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

univbee posted:

I went on a nature safari in Zambia many years ago and our guide had a story about how he accidentally antagonized the gently caress out of a black mamba in the dark (like stepped in it a few times) but it never actually bit him.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What is the point of viper pits? Meat or eggs or what?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

univbee posted:

I was mowing the paddock behind my house many years ago and accidentally mowed over a tiger snake.

I had the mower set high because I only wanted the grass low enough to act as a fire break and was walking backwards up the hill dragging the mower along and nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw it come out from under the front of the mower.

So, not only had I probably stepped on one of the top 10 deadliest snakes in the world, I also pulled a mower right over its head and it still didn't try to attack.

You really need to be unlucky (or find one during mating season) to get bitten by a snake.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was mowing the paddock behind my house many years ago and accidentally mowed over a tiger snake.

I had the mower set high because I only wanted the grass low enough to act as a fire break and was walking backwards up the hill dragging the mower along and nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw it come out from under the front of the mower.

So, not only had I probably stepped on one of the top 10 deadliest snakes in the world, I also pulled a mower right over its head and it still didn't try to attack.

You really need to be unlucky (or find one during mating season) to get bitten by a snake.

I come from a city with a tiny limestone mountain as it's defining geographical feature. I preferred to live at the base of the thing. Nice breeze, shade trees, and easy access to the rest of town. All's well and good except during a drought, when the snakes come down the mountain searching for water. That is one of the few parts of town with curbing on the major streets (for drainage, but I'll get to that). Then comes time for me to make a decision: take my night time walk in the middle of the road or through people's yards. The gutter is filled with snakes and terrified opossum too small to hop over the curb.

What happens after a drought, come first rain? Massive amounts of water to erase your driveway and flush said snakes and opossum right back down the mountain. So many drowned 'possum next to the road. Poor things couldn't raise their heads high enough to breathe and their short little legs couldn't get over the curb. So many burst snakes, who couldn't resist a tasty critter just laying there.

No wonder the Native Americans generally avoided the place. They did warn the rest of us about the snakes. And the malaria. And the mats of gigantic wood cockroaches covering the trees at night. And the mountain lions. They really stressed the mountain lion thing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

I come from a city with a tiny limestone mountain as it's defining geographical feature. I preferred to live at the base of the thing. Nice breeze, shade trees, and easy access to the rest of town. All's well and good except during a drought, when the snakes come down the mountain searching for water. That is one of the few parts of town with curbing on the major streets (for drainage, but I'll get to that). Then comes time for me to make a decision: take my night time walk in the middle of the road or through people's yards. The gutter is filled with snakes and terrified opossum too small to hop over the curb.

What happens after a drought, come first rain? Massive amounts of water to erase your driveway and flush said snakes and opossum right back down the mountain. So many drowned 'possum next to the road. Poor things couldn't raise their heads high enough to breathe and their short little legs couldn't get over the curb. So many burst snakes, who couldn't resist a tasty critter just laying there.

No wonder the Native Americans generally avoided the place. They did warn the rest of us about the snakes. And the malaria. And the mats of gigantic wood cockroaches covering the trees at night. And the mountain lions. They really stressed the mountain lion thing.

Wait

How can you gloss over burst snakes like it’s an everyday occurrence

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Blue On Blue posted:

Wait

Always remember to winterize your snakes.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

Wait

It's not, was my point. Once a year maybe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/AMcV6TS.mp4

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

They're ruining my bespoke cast iron rebar

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

norm
infrastructure there are made with tofu lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That's how you make a glory hole.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

I mean, I've seen a cheap setup, that was basically a mount for a circular saw that turned it into a table saw, so this is the same thing, just literally turned on it's head.

But in his defense, even if he had it right side up, I don't think he was going to be able to process those boards into anything useful with that saw.

If you're using a hammer to trim your fingernails.... Get 'er done I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/DWS535B-Worm-Drive-Circular-Brake/dp/B07BR8D713

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

chabuduo

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

if they keep breaking those like that whatever they're building is going to not be as strong :mad:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Chinesium is, like, the antimithril

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

If that were used in the infrastructure plan, that would make the replacement bridges worse than the original ones. A bit scary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/f1feederseries1/status/1393547765830103046?s=21

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Ika posted:

If that were used in the infrastructure plan, that would make the replacement bridges worse than the original ones. A bit scary.

Wait 'till you find out why this stuff is at the site!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

aphid_licker posted:

Chinesium is, like, the antimithril

I don't know how you even make that, surely it would be less effort to just get normal rebar

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

A conversation one of our project managers had with a potential supplier for steel that one of our clients wanted to use because they were significantly cheaper.
:phone: Hello we would like to order so much steel box sections and they need to meet standard XXYY.
:phoneb: Yes we can supply you with that much steel for $very low price. What certification do you want stamped on to it again?
:phone: it needs to meet or exceed standard XXYY
:phoneb: ok we will stamp standard XXYY on it.
:phone: Does it meet that standard?
:phoneb: We will stamp it on it.

Went back to client and told them we will use our regular suppliers. Client wasn’t happy and wanted to be charged the materials price from the suggested supplier.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There’s industrial contracts that require you to sign off that at no point are you using Chinese slings, wire rope, etc.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Varkk posted:

A conversation one of our project managers had with a potential supplier for steel that one of our clients wanted to use because they were significantly cheaper.
:phone: Hello we would like to order so much steel box sections and they need to meet standard XXYY.
:phoneb: Yes we can supply you with that much steel for $very low price. What certification do you want stamped on to it again?
:phone: it needs to meet or exceed standard XXYY
:phone: Does it meet that standard?
:phoneb: We will stamp it on it.

Went back to client and told them we will use our regular suppliers. Client wasn’t happy and wanted to be charged the materials price from the suggested supplier.

Is this in mfg or construction?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The #1 cause of being bitten by a snake is deciding to gently caress with it. Usually while drunk or male.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The number two cause is being a Pentecostal minister.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

madeintaipei posted:

The gutter is filled with snakes and terrified opossum too small to hop over the curb.

So many drowned 'possum next to the road. Poor things couldn't raise their heads high enough to breathe and their short little legs couldn't get over the curb.
Why aren't you making tiny possum stairs so they can climb out? :(

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qt6uwzEYRn1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qt64omV7Hj1s1ddrj.mp4

(no fatalities, according to the source)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ekuNNN posted:

Why aren't you making tiny possum stairs so they can climb out? :(

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qt64omV7Hj1s1ddrj.mp4

REO Speedwagon's "Riding the Storm Out" blares in the car's stereo as the driver navigates the turn.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Lone Badger posted:

The #1 cause of being bitten by a snake is deciding to gently caress with it. Usually while drunk or male.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/717796553981878272

Never skip posting this if it's even vaguely relevant.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

(no fatalities, according to the source)

That bus definitely didn't make it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

McGavin posted:

That bus definitely didn't make it.

Which bus? The truck? I could very easily see the driver getting out, although he would need a change of dry clothes and probably had to throw out his pants.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Avec moi… le deluge

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rebar is for tensile strength, what they're demonstrating is compression forces. It's fine

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What do you actually do to steel to make it like that? Too much oxygen? Cooled too fast?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lone Badger posted:

What do you actually do to steel to make it like that? Too much oxygen? Cooled too fast?

Varkk posted:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KoRMaK posted:

rebar is for tensile strength, what they're demonstrating is compression forces. It's fine

I'm just a layman, but I always thought that rebar is rather ductile and would look like pinched clay if bent until broken. That stuff's snapping cleanly?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

KoRMaK posted:

No it isn't, you doofus. It is for tensile as you say, but that doesn't matter when you can snap it like a bread stick.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

have you see the price of iron ore recently? Just sweep up whatever won't stick to a magnet and stick it in a big pot

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

The Lone Badger posted:

I think it's a combination of "too much carbon" and "cooled too fast".

I dabble in blacksmithing and rebar is the cheapest source of readily available steel. Reading what the forum graybeards say about it, the alloy in rebar is pretty much "whatever was in the crucible that day". Carbon content can vary wildly, meaning you sometimes come across rebar with enough carbon in it that it can be hardened (heated up and then cooled rapidly usually by quenching). For smithing purposes this is desirable since you can make chisels and punches and even knives and such out of it. For using as rebar a higher carbon content normally isn't a problem since it will behave much like mild (low carbon) steel if the metal is annealed (cooled slowly), which is how it would normally come from the mill.

What I think happened is that someone used an oxyacetalene torch to form those bends in the rebar (it's thick stuff, harder to bend cold) and the metal cooled rapidly, maybe it was raining hard or super cold and windy or something (edit: or some dumbass quenched it). It happened to be high carbon steel in that batch of rebar, meaning it's now hard and brittle like glass. If you were to smack really hard tool steel like a file or something like that it would break too.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 17, 2021

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No it isn't, you doofus. It is for tensile as you say, but that doesn't matter when you can snap it like a bread stick.

Have you considered that maybe they are joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Xakura posted:

Have you considered that maybe they are joking.

On the internet? Seems far-fetched.