Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

You could probably tally up all the damage Israelis are wringing their hands over and it would amount to less than one standard American gender reveal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was referring more to these:

Nobody resists colonialism and occupation with the mindset that they are inevitably marching to their graves and only acting out of spite for the oppressor. The aim of resistance is liberation, not to be a nuisance, and anticolonial struggles have always achieved victory primarily through inflicting an economic cost so great that it is no longer feasible to maintain colonial relations. If you look at the casualty figures for any independence war they are almost always going to be heavily skewed in favor of the far more powerful colonizer, but that does not nonetheless make them not wars.

The property damage, economic cost, and terror inflicted by the rockets is not negligible even if they're not that powerful or don't cause as many fatalities. As if the real point of a war is to kill as many people as possible. The aim of every war is to achieve a political outcome. For Israel the aim of their war is to exterminate Palestinians as a people, and for Hamas their aim is to survive with dignity and defeat the oppressor.

im not belittling their resistance you dumbass

pointing out that the media and pundits are talking about this as if the palestinians are capable of fighting back in any real way as opposed to the IDF are straight up massacring people that have been forced to live in a very densely populated ghetto isnt belittling palestinians its pointing out how ratfucked the media and pundits are at trying to both sides this whole conflict. when its very clear the IDF is straight up massacring palestinians

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 13:59 on May 16, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lord of Pie posted:

You could probably tally up all the damage Israelis are wringing their hands over and it would amount to less than one standard American gender reveal

That's a lot of damage.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
to be fair we should retaliate mercilessly against gender reveals

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mad he stole your bit huh?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Agrajag posted:

im not belittling their resistance you dumbass

pointing out that the media and pundits are talking about this as if the palestinians are capable of fighting back in any real way as opposed to the IDF are straight up massacring people that have been forced to live into a very densely populated ghetto isnt belittling palestinians its pointing out how ratfucked the media and pundits are at trying to both sides this whole conflict. when its very clear the IDF is straight up massacring palestinians

You are belittling the power of the resistance. Just because this is an extremely asymmetrical war where one side has overwhelming power and wages daily massacres, doesn't mean it's not a war. It doesn't mean the Palestinians aren't effectively fighting back. They're struggling to survive by any means necessary. The point is that portraying the Palestinians as if they have no means of fighting back is a form of fatalism. The media skews the perception of the war because they have sided with Israel, and it's as simple as that.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You are belittling the power of the resistance. Just because this is an extremely asymmetrical war where one side has overwhelming power and wages daily massacres, doesn't mean it's not a war. It doesn't mean the Palestinians aren't effectively fighting back. They're struggling to survive by any means necessary. The point is that portraying the Palestinians as if they have no means of fighting back is a form of fatalism. The media skews the perception of the war because they have sided with Israel, and it's as simple as that.

that the point completely flies over your head

like holy poo poo gently caress you for even implying im helping or siding with israel and what the idf are doing you dipshit debatelord

you very clearly care more about the semantics of the conflict than the actual loving people being loving massacred

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 14:09 on May 16, 2021

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Stringent posted:

mad he stole your bit huh?

Search his account for Ethiopia and then search mine for Palestine.

obviously I care for both. he’s just using it as a distraction

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Agrajag posted:

that the point completely flies over your head

like holy poo poo gently caress you for even implying im helping or siding with israel and what the idf are doing you dipshit debatelord

you very clearly care more about the semantics of the conflict than the actual loving people being loving massacred

I'm trying to give you a better understanding of what's actually happening so you don't fall prey to a sense of fatalism. You can either internalize that or keep fueling your persecution complex.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Oh my god it made a pot hole. You'll pay for this Jeremy Corbyn :arghfist:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was referring more to these:

Nobody resists colonialism and occupation with the mindset that they are inevitably marching to their graves and only acting out of spite for the oppressor. The aim of resistance is liberation, not to be a nuisance, and anticolonial struggles have always achieved victory primarily through inflicting an economic cost so great that it is no longer feasible to maintain colonial relations. If you look at the casualty figures for any independence war they are almost always going to be heavily skewed in favor of the far more powerful colonizer, but that does not nonetheless make them not wars.

The property damage, economic cost, and terror inflicted by the rockets is not negligible even if they're not that powerful or don't cause as many fatalities. As if the real point of a war is to kill as many people as possible. The aim of every war is to achieve a political outcome. For Israel the aim of their war is to exterminate Palestinians as a people, and for Hamas their aim is to survive with dignity and defeat the oppressor.
Israel isn't colonizing Palestine so none of this fancy lingo means anything. They're settling in it. Face facts

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Mahyar3138/status/1393918092347064323?s=20

:stoked:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

now, I am not an expert, but in civilization games, when I wanted to make a colony, I sent a settler

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

PawParole posted:

Search his account for Ethiopia and then search mine for Palestine.

obviously I care for both. he’s just using it as a distraction

telling ppl to search tracey's account is violence

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Israel isn't colonizing Palestine so none of this fancy lingo means anything. They're settling in it. Face facts

Israel still exploits the West Bank for Palestinian labor, they're just forced to live and work in the bantustans and aren't allowed to cross the checkpoints. Palestinian goods are also exported to the world by being repackaged as products of Israel.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

:thunk:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

mastershakeman posted:

what do you think colonialism is

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

All Palestinians have to do is force the colonizers to leave just like India forcing the Brits out! In these paragraphs I will show how struggles against overseas empires apply to

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

John Charity Spring posted:

what do you think colonialism is

A place with a Metropole dominating and extracting resources from somewhere else to return to the imperial capital. America didn't colonize its west, it settled it. Conflating the two obfuscates the Palestinians are in the same boat as native Americans

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

The Nazis advocated killing children of unwanted or "dangerous" in accordance with their ideological views, either as part of the Nazi idea of the racial struggle or as a measure of preventive security. The Nazis and their collaborators killed children both for these ideological reasons and in retaliation for real or alleged partisan attacks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yeah there is no way they can expel the jews or whatever. the only solution is a single state that gives equal rights to all citizens of the area. it would have to be called something other than israel and couldn't be democratic for at least 100 years

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

mastershakeman posted:

A place with a Metropole dominating and extracting resources from somewhere else to return to the imperial capital. America didn't colonize its west, it settled it. Conflating the two obfuscates the Palestinians are in the same boat as native Americans

hmmm i think we can probably settle on a mutually agreeable term to describe this phenomenon for the purposes of this discussion, perhaps we could call it "colonial settlerism"?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Settler states exist to be outlets for "excessive population" in the home country, and to incorporate the economic production of the settled country into the global trade network of the home country. The United States and Israel are both colonies of the First World or Europe. There's more than one type of colony.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/cornerspaeti/status/1393683126631768067?s=20

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rutibex posted:

yeah there is no way they can expel the jews or whatever. the only solution is a single state that gives equal rights to all citizens of the area. it would have to be called something other than israel and couldn't be democratic for at least 100 years

Yeah this is what im trying to get at. Comparing actions against Israel to actions against colonial empires isn't applicable. They burned the boats on the beach and are there to stay. Continually ignoring that is silly

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah this is what im trying to get at. Comparing actions against Israel to actions against colonial empires isn't applicable. They burned the boats on the beach and are there to stay. Continually ignoring that is silly

wait. you're trying to say that israel burned the boats and is there to stay, right? so uh, was hernan cortes not engaging in colonialism when he burned his boats?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

you would've been on their side lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

World War Mammories posted:

wait. you're trying to say that israel burned the boats and is there to stay, right? so uh, was hernan cortes not engaging in colonialism when he burned his boats?

C'mon now we all know I'm referencing feanor

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.jns.org/netanyahu-thanks-biden-for-unwavering-us-support/

quote:

(May 16, 2021 / Israel Hayom) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu updated U.S. President Joe Biden on Saturday night with regard to Israel’s ongoing operation against terrorists in the Gaza Strip. During the two leaders’ telephone conversation, which was lengthy, Netanyahu thanked Biden for his unwavering support for Israel’s right to defend itself, and emphasized that everything possible was being done to avoid harm to civilians.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

a Loving Dog posted:

you would've been on their side lol

go gently caress yourself.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1393654762617331720?s=19

Low key admitting you view all Palestinians as enemy combatants

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1393663802089091072?s=19

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

Latuff's roasts own so much.

Lmao how the Israeli have turned crying Crocodile tears into a fine art as the they shell and bomb dense urban areas including the use of banned weapons like White Phosphorus

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You shouldn't belittle the power of the resistance just by comparing potencies.

yeah there's been weirder twists in the past, palestinian situation is probably doomed but i'll believe in their cause as long as they do

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

now this is intersectionality

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

say wat

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/AGHamilton29/status/1393684549566189568?s=19

What this thread argues is that if a reporter speaks to someone in Hamas or doesn't report Hamas activities in the exact way Israel wants, they are a collaborator and a valid military target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

pospysyl posted:

https://twitter.com/AGHamilton29/status/1393684549566189568?s=19

What this thread argues is that if a reporter speaks to someone in Hamas or doesn't report Hamas activities in the exact way Israel wants, they are a collaborator and a valid military target.

I believe all of the media should collaborate with Hamas.